Enrage Timers Counter Productive?

I like the enrage timers, because they give each boss an end point. You can't keep failing the mechanics and running back from the med center for 20 minutes. I like the idea that the game requires you to do something right in order to succeed.

I do think that the bosses should unlock additional abilities in hard modes, instead of just hitting harder and having an enrage timer. The fact that they're exactly the same as normal mode is a little disappointing.

As far as people having to choose a particular spec in order to be successful, the only reason to choose a spec that doesn't maximize DPS is so you can extend your survivability while questing or doing warzones. Raids aren't about individualism. They're about working as a team and doing your job the best way possible. For DPS that normally means having enough burst DPS to burn adds quickly and having a sustainable rotation to keep up with a long boss fight. People who enjoy hybrid roles (off-tanking, off-healing) can be annoying in raids, because they don't do anything well. They don't have enough mitigation to tank something, they cast weak heals, and their DPS is subpar. It's better if you just do your job well and trust everyone else to do theirs.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would anyone want to be subpar? Either you know how to play your class or you don't. Choosing a bad spec makes you a bad player. And that is your choice and you are welcome to do so, but the content should not be gauged for bad players IMO. What challenge would be left for the good players?

If that were even remotely true, then what is the point of having a class with any variation?

This is the problem with level based / class based MMOs- is that everyone gets tunnel vision into: your character *MUST* be this or you suck.

Again- I go to: why have a class with three dps specs (or multiple specs at all, for that matter) when only one is "optimal"?

It would be like if you were playing a tabletop RPG- and you rolled a fighter and feats were automatically assigned to you as you leveled up- with no input from you at all. "dude, if you don't have these three feats by lvl 10, you suck as a fighter!"

I've never been a fan of talent trees ever since the first time I can remember them, which, is probably Diablo.

Skill trees are inherently limiting.

I will almost always find a way to relate a point I am making back to Ultima Online. I wish more games would get back to just... a giant pool of skills and/or abilities and you pick which ones you want and they were all feasible to greater or lesser degrees.

UO had the the largest range of different "builds" of any game I have ever played- and almost all of them were feasible in pve and pvp. It was actually sort of awesome seeing the different types of combinations people could come up with...

Mages

Nox Mages

Archers

fighter/magic user hybrids...

you had people using halberds with no shields, sword and board, crossbows, krysses...

It also helps when you have a game with no gear with predetermined stats. All the stats in UO were randomly generated, so, there really was no "BIS"- which (incidentally) forces everyone to eventually look all alike. "BIS" was whatever you could get to randomly drop off of a mob with the correct stats you needed.

I've seen more than enough rings with + to Magery and then also + to like... cooking.

may suck for you, but, I guarantee there was a magic using chef in UO somewhere that loved it.

oh- and also:

Enrage timers are a lazy mechanic to make content more challenging without having to invent any form of creative boss fight.

Edited by Calinaph

i seen alot of poepel say the enrage timer is a easy way out. mabe it does force things abit, however is tehre anything you can say that be better?

i fought the infernal one(EV ops) and he a combo of styles. he got a enrage for once at the the fight drags out to long he also hasa condictional set up, at x life do event y. there the the mecha boss at the start that forces you to take cover or you get missles nukes to death. however i'm sure if you drags him out he enrage also.

so besides a enrages, condtions or adding of mobs(hammer station) what you want him to do ? only thing i can see pull out some port of super move and one hit everyone, because tehy used everything else all over the place.

Enrage is lazy programming, replacement for real challenging mechanics.

That said, I don't see it counter productive in the way you mention. Eventually everyone interested in high end content min/maxes anyway, regardless of mechanics. Whatever sort of challenge the boss is you still want to use the optimal spec/abilities to down it.

The problem is fights feel too static, 'chains'/rotations are pretty much fixed regardless of encounter instead of being situational, there is not enough variation that would put skills into play - and thats why there is 'superior spec' to begin with. If different specs came with decent amount of different utilities that can be used/need to be used in particular encounters we would have multiple minmax specs better or worse for different encounters, instead of sticking to lazy 'max dps rotation spec everywhere'. It's the problem with typical fight/combat mechanics, enrage has little to do with it, even without it only one would be superior unless other conditions are changed.

Coordination and situational awareness should be the first things that make a boss difficult.

Gear checks and time stress should come on later difficulties, not on the lower ones.

Right now, it seems like enrage timers are as far as the devs come to making bosses hard sometimes, with the only real tactics involving "red circles on the floor" for a number of fights.

I hope that changes in later content.

Edited by Fdzzaigl

Coordination and situational awareness should be the first things that make a boss difficult.

Gear checks and time stress should come on later difficulties, not on the lower ones.

Right now, it seems like enrage timers are as far as the devs come to making bosses hard sometimes, with the only real tactics involving "red circles on the floor" for a number of fights.

I hope that changes in later content.

The problem with that with Bioware is... the best example (that I can think of) of them trying to do that (not sure they really even do that good of a job, but, I digress), is Soa- and they ****ed it up. Soa had potential to be a good fight, but, I would venture to say that it is the most buggy fight in raiding content in SWTOR. Why? Because it's the most gimmicky.

Gimmicks can be good- and can totally be a way around enrage timers, but... they have to... you know... work first.

Edited by Calinaph

Is the the part where I'm supposed to say you probably play a tank or healer and selfishly want to keep you superior by default status? Nah.

I play every class. Unlike you, I'm not trying to protect my playstyle at the expense of others. I'm just looking at what's best for the game overall. Carry on.

I like the enrage timers, because it means dps actually has to carry its weight, cannot be carried on the back of good tanks and healers. Of course, bad healers/tanks can hose good dps as well, causing people to die/lose dps and therefore fail the enrage timer. Overall, it means the team has to perform better, as a whole, rather than be carried by a few.

I've done the safety dance in WoW's Naxx with just myself (tank) and a healer alive because the rest of the raid got themselves killed on an easy to avoid mechanic before the boss was half dead. That sort of thing shouldn't be happening.