Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

You do know that a lot of Aussies play on NA servers today, and have for some time now. ;)

Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is they way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.

Yet the general tone of this thread has been often (and particularly since Bioware announced a decision) filled with people portraying uncertainty and doubt, displaying rage and hate, and generally playing a victim role. It's incongruant with the general perception of the Aussie people, so I personally tend to think that such outbursts are atypical of the Aussie playerbase, especially when I run across so many in game on NA-West servers, enjoying themselves and playing the game.

/2-cents.

I won't comment on the tone of the thread and merely relate my own in game experience and opinion based on that experience. I and many aussie friends played on NA servers we stuck it out for 5 months or more in some cases, but once the APAC servers came out and you played the game with a sub 100ms ping it became obvious how badly high latency was effecting game play. Eventually I stopped logging in to the NA servers because it was such a sub par experience. If you have never experienced sub 100ms ping there is every chance you don't realise how badly you are being affected by high latency so it does not surprise me that there are Aussies playing on NA servers now.

Virtually everyone who is playing or has played on the APAC servers who has experienced a sub 100ms ping will notice a severe degrading of their gameplay when they move to the NA servers. You won't notice it much as you level through regular questing, but once you start doing flash points, operations or pvp you will see the negative impact straight away.

Don't believe me, go try it for yourself, level a toon to lvl 10 or harbinger and jump into PvP and see if you notice any difference between it and Dalborra. For those in the US you can do the reverse. Create a toon on dalborra levle to 10 and try PvP. Shouldn't take you long with double xp this weekend.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You aussie players never had a real transfer. Yes, you were transferred to APAC servers when they first came out, but you all had the same chance of acquiring character and legacy names since they were new severs with no prior population.

That's not really true. The APAC servers had been going for a couple of months before anyone was allowed to transfer and they were all pretty full at the time, so character names were definately an isue.

For those in the US you can do the reverse. Create a toon on dalborra levle to 10 and try PvP. Shouldn't take you long with double xp this weekend.

I in fact did this back in summer of 2012. To see what all the fuss was about ping. It was far from unplayable. It took an hour or two of play to adjust to.. but once adjusted, I personally do not see the issue.

Is less latency better? Absolutely! Is more latency a game breaker? To some yes, to others no. Opinions differ.

IF you only wish to play competitive PvP.... yeah... you probably are unhappy with ping over 100ms. Which kind of leaves Aussie players out of luck in general in the MMO market place doesn't it? For whatever reason, your corner of the larger APAC seems to suffer more latency to the US then just about every other part of APAC.

Edited by Andryah

Is less latency better? Absolutely! Is more latency a game breaker? To some yes, to others no. Opinions differ.

Personally I think higher latency is an annoyance. Not a game breaker. I've played on US servers plenty in both wow and this game. Low populations on the other hand are a game breaker. Which is why I and a lot of other people I know on our server are happy with this change is finally being made. If it had been doing sooner I'm sure a lot of people who quit in the meantime probably wouldn't have.

Since Bioware/EA claimed that they were improving my game-play experience i decided to log onto The Bastion, which is the server that my characters will be placed on since i am on Master D. Currently on Master D i get around 20-40 ping sitting on the fleet. A little more when doing raids and pvp but unless my internet is having problems i don't really go over 100.

Well on my new server, sitting on the fleet gives me 300 ping and being on planet gives me around 400 and it is not stable with the ping constantly jumping to over 1000. I would love Bioware/EA to tell me how this improves my game-play experience. I know from previous experience on Warriors of Shadow before the mergers pvp was horrible and people would randomly change positions and i gave up on pvp till i moved onto the APAC servers.

Please tell me how encouraging me not to participate in high end pvp/raiding improves my game-play experience when decisions must be made on the spot have a delay.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter since if they close the servers i will not be playing this game anymore.

This is the reality of the APAC players moving to the NA servers, it means that no APAC player will be able to do Nightmare mode ops any more ( one second casts will be uninterupable ). There has been many posts by players from the Asian region that would like to/or have moved to the NA or EU servers due to the routing to the APAC servers I am happy for them that they will be able to get their legacys merged or not due to the forced trancefers ( why can't we choose where we go for this reason ) also there are some APAC players still trapped on NA servers because they missed the APAC transfer window and they would like to have transfered to them ( and most have unsubed or started new toons on the APAC servers ). I started playing on a NA server as a BETA tester and a CE owner and I leveled to 50 on Warriors of the Shadow, the game is more enjoyable on the APAC server as this game is designed around the reducing of cast times to make it harder, so having a low ping makes the game easier.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

647 signatures on the petition... that's a lot of subs and cartel coins

But still not enough that would make ea/bioware care. This decision would have been a long time in the making and im sure that a petition with such low numbers won't do anything. Sorry

Edited by Elysiah

You do know that a lot of Aussies play on NA servers today, and have for some time now. ;)

Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is the way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.

Yet the general tone of this thread has been often (and particularly since Bioware announced a decision) filled with people portraying uncertainty and doubt, displaying rage and hate, and generally playing a victim role. It's incongruant with the general perception of the Aussie people, so I personally tend to think that such outbursts are atypical of the Aussie playerbase, especially when I run across so many in game on NA-West servers, enjoying themselves and playing the game.

This thread is a polemic, an attempl to convince Bioware that it's making the wrong decision. That won't happen by being nice and shutting up about it. It's not a reflection of the character of the posters, only their goals.

To all the US players throwing in "suck it up, whiners," posts on this thread, I'll propose an alternate solution to APAC's alleged population problems. Move all the players from Harbinger over here. That will solve the population problem. If a server move and lower network performance is nothing to complain about, then the US players shouldn't have an issue, should they? Of course, if BioWare tried that, the US players would scream bloody murder - and rightly so. It sucks to be downgraded, and that's what's happening to APAC players.

Edited by SleepyKing

Moving to a US server will not cause me to quit the game. It will however, cause me to quit paying a subscription. With a vastly increases latency I will no longer be able to compete properly in pvp (my main endgame hobby). Therefore, the only other real attraction to me in the game are the class stories. I can play those for free. I'm not naive enough to think my comments here will make a difference but if anyone from Bioware is reading this I just wanted you to know how the closure of the APAC servers will personally affect my gameplay and subscription status.

Really? More evidence that they should've consolidated the APAC servers way back when they did it for everyone else. More vibrant, single APAC server back then, could've drawn back more Australian players and may have even resulted in more APAC players rolling on it when they signed up for F2P.

Here's the interesting part for me as I have followed this thread..... Aussies are generally known to be good natured, resilient and pretty much fearless in the face of adversity. At least that is the way many people outside of Australia perceive you as a culture.

Thats us having to deal with being screwed over constantly. And now, we're just starting to get sick of it, instead of just sitting back and taking it.

Quote: Originally Posted by DuckimusPrime View Post

Announcement? Where? They've made no widely available announcement to all APAC players. Yet in less than 24 hours, already in excess of 400 people have signed a petition protesting against this decision. And they only know of it through word of mouth.

Just image how much that discontent will blow out once they actually inform most APAC players that their servers will going away.

An ea/bioware customer support person named Eric musco announced it in this very thread, search back. Or did you already see it and are just so blind by rage you don't want to accept it?

If it wasn't going ahead he wouldn't of made it known.

Petition isn't going to change this action bl for the people who like the servers now but I'm glad this is happening. Just my opinion.

But it should be on the Launcher and as a pop up on sign in so all players would know or at least a email to all players with charaters on the APAC servers to notify of the up coming change as not all players come on the Forums, by now more players would have heard about this due to people posting in general chat as well as game news sites ( I have personaly posted to a few about the news when it was first posted on the forums ). I'm in for the Dalbora protest and I also agree that anyone going to PAX or who live in Victoria should protest EA at PAX.

The petition is now upto 655!

Unlike the rubbish that Jack keeps sprewing out. That is actually a fairly large number of signings protesting a decision that has only been spread by word of mouth. We're less than 3 days after a post was made on pg 250-odd in a thread General forum... and that many people are already showing their disappointment with EAs decision.

Just imagine how things will explode when they actually make an announcement to all of the player base. Is that why nothing has been sent out to APAC players? Since this post you've sent out another email advertising the upcoming expansion and encouraging people to pay for. But there is no mention that you plan on degrading their play experience soon afterwards.

This is disgusting bait and switch advertising, and it is illegal within the market that you are mainly doing this too.

An ea/bioware customer support person named Eric musco announced it in this very thread, search back. Or did you already see it and are just so blind by rage you don't want to accept it?

If it wasn't going ahead he wouldn't of made it known.

Forums are used by a minority of players. Sticking a post on pg 250 of a thread in General discussion is not an announcement to the entire APAC player base.

Edited by DuckimusPrime

Well looks like we have 30 days either way...

EA may terminate access to any online or mobile products and/or EA Services (and/or any portion thereof) at any time by giving you notice of such termination within the time period specified when you joined the particular EA Service, or if no time period for notice of termination was specified, then within thirty (30) days of the date such notice is either (at EA’s discretion) provided to you via email or is posted on the applicable product or EA Service or on http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates.

This EUALA may be modified by EA at any time. You can view the EUALA at any time by visiting http://www.swtor.com. We may notify you of modifications: (a) before you play the Game; and/or (b) via a specific notice on http://www.swtor.com (the "Website"). All modifications will take effect thirty (30) days after their announcement. In any event, you agree to check the Website and review this EUALA periodically to familiarize yourself with any modifications that may occur. If you do not agree with any future modifications to this EUALA, or are unable to continue to remain in compliance with the same, you must cease your use of the Software and of the Game. You may terminate this EUALA in accordance with Section 5. Your continued use of the Software and play of the Game after a modification of the EUALA will be deemed as your acceptance of any modified terms.

We may have more time as there is no offical anouncement on http://www.ea.com/2/service-updates or via the launcher (which is (a) ) or on http://www.swtor.com ( which is (b) ) Eric's anoucement in the forums doesn't conform to these conditions.

Unlike the rubbish that Jack keeps sprewing out. That is actually a fairly large number of signings protesting a decision that has only been spread by word of mouth. We're less than 3 days after a post was made on pg 250-odd in a thread General forum... and that many people are already showing their disappointment with EAs decision.

Just imagine how things will explode when they actually make an announcement to all of the player base. Is that why nothing has been sent out to APAC players? Since this post you've sent out another email advertising the upcoming expansion and encouraging people to pay for. But there is no mention that you plan on degrading their play experience soon afterwards.

This is disgusting bait and switch advertising, and it is illegal within the market that you are mainly doing this too.

Forums are used by a minority of players. Sticking a post on pg 250 of a thread in General discussion is not an announcement to the entire APAC player base.

668 now. ;-)

I play on the APAC servers from Japan. I've never had a ping under 250, usually around 300. I don't think the move is going to change that much.

AFAIK, the submarine cable runs are via the west and east coasts of Australia, where for several parts of Asia, the best possible run would be via a northern section of coastline and running through the desert.

Obviously this isn't very cost effective for the general population of Australia, so you actually get a better cable run to the US in Japan. You'll probably see an improvement.

People need to stop comparing swtor to wow, I have played wow at 400-600ms and it was more playable then tor at 200-300ms. Tor is better looking and requires a lot more resources to run well and the graphic lag is a problem.

The main problems for myself is more about losing my characters and community and lag only comes in when comparing apac players to American. Let us keep a server dedicated to apac area but that does not mean it has to be hosted here, if its Australians and the like playing with each other, we all get the lag and its fair game rather than us having 300ms playing against an American with 55ms Max all the time. It worked for wow and because it won't be hosted in a us, bioware need not spend extra cash AND we can keep our community.

Just a thought:o

i love my server have never had a problem with finding ppl to do things with would rather have the population we have now on the PVE and keep my ping then play on american servers which i already had done before apac servers came around

Really? More evidence that they should've consolidated the APAC servers way back when they did it for everyone else. More vibrant, single APAC server back then, could've drawn back more Australian players and may have even resulted in more APAC players rolling on it when they signed up for F2P.

I agree that they should have merged APAC servers at the time they merged all the US servers. Would have been farm morelikely to ve a viable option then. I think that window's been missed now though. Far too many players have unsubbed because they were sick of waiting. That might not be so apparent on dalborra but the combined population of all three servers is far lower than it would have been if they'd done it 6 months ago when they did the US ones.

I agree that they should have merged APAC servers at the time they merged all the US servers. Would have been farm morelikely to ve a viable option then. I think that window's been missed now though. Far too many players have unsubbed because they were sick of waiting. That might not be so apparent on dalborra but the combined population of all three servers is far lower than it would have been if they'd done it 6 months ago when they did the US ones.

Most of them would probably come back if they merged the servers as most said that in their post in this thread where as merging with the NA servers just garantes that they wont come back

Most of them would probably come back if they merged the servers as most said that in their post in this thread where as merging with the NA servers just garantes that they wont come back

So many would come back if they merged servers.