Is has potential, but too many features are missing

Dreossk

The game isn't Star Wars Galaxies, or the successor to Star Wars Galaxies.

It's unfortunate that you want the game to be SWG II for you, because "it's a lot in my life as the only SW MMO". But the game was never intended to be SWG II, or to be a sandbox game. Many of the elements you're talking about are sandbox type elements which would distract the developers from developing more gameplay content, and as such I am not in favor of them.

For the record, I do play a sandbox game, EVE. I do not expect, nor do I want, TOR to be a sandbox game -- that isn't BioWare's schtick, and it isn't the design concept for the game (or for their company and game design philosophy in general). And it isn't why I play BioWare games.

• Replies 638
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SWTOR is not a bad game, it’s nice to see a Star Wars environment again. **snip** too many features are simply missing, sometimes they are very basic features expected in a AAA MMO .

1. Swimming

2. Third party addons

3. Minigames like card games or slot gamers

4. Dual spec

5. Day/night cycles

6. Non humanoid based playable races

7. Planetary housing

8. Housing furnishing

9. Animal based pet classes

10. Resources for crafting that do have quality

11. Complex crafting system

12. Guild leveling system

13. Animal mounts

14. Flying mounts

15. PvP Arenas

16. Collision detection between characters

17. Macros

18. Barber / Image Designer

19. Appearance tabs

20. Fishing

21. Guild "Tabard"

22. Multiplayer mounts

23. Gear Dyes

24. Shared storage bank slots

25. In game voice chat

26. LFG tool

27. Guild bank

28. Incentives for socialization

29. Character extended body customization

30. 3 Factions RvR

31. Wolrd PvP

32. RPG tools

33. Underwater content

34. 3d exploration

Only TOR shipped without all of the above

Dead world

World is indeed too static.

There are some NPC chatting with each others but you have to be very careful to notice.

NPC should be scripted, move around and you should not always see things the NPC waiting to be executed in the exact same spot and position.

Exploration

More incentives for exploration than the datacron.

Let players wander in 3D with jetpacks, force jump, grappling hooks, climbing, swimming.

I'd like to be able to jump down from these insanely high buildings/moutains and safely land with a timely jet pack ignition = GRIN. Please for future planets/zones.

Day/night cycle

Will help making the world feels alive even more with planets on different day/nigh cycles.

Certainly a must to have in all future instances and planets.

Dynamic weather

Yes, in a wet dream I imagined seasons....

Environment interaction, social activites & RP

Swimming the way GW2 is doing is /drool.

I'd like to see things like multiplayer pazaak pod/swoop racing topped with a spectator mode. We could even make players tournaments ;)

PvP

Open world PvP on every each planet FTW!

Add raid/instance/quest to allow player(s) to bypass any planet defense and bring war/skirmishes behind the enemies lines.

Space & vehicle

Space should == enhanced version of X-Wing vs JTL.

The learning curve will be higher but in the long term players will keep playing TOR even just for it, while a too simple & dumb system won't help player retention.

Totally agree with the vehicle proposal too.

Interface & graphics

Add:

• UI skings
  • Fonts selection
  • AA on shadows

Character

Wookies and playable droids in an Xpack please.

Appearance tabs and allow us to show/hide things like gloves, belts, boots especially the missing shoulder flaps slot, on companions too.

Guild

Guild armor decals, tatoos, tabard, cloaks, samurai like flaps ;)

Endgame

Exporation, Socialization, player made economy, non combatant classes, minigames...

Housing

Planetary housing, free placement items housing furnishing.

Crafting

Items with quality and experimentation please. Might hinder the DB a lot but... it's fun!

Conclusion

SWTOR has potential, but at this moment it is too far behind in many aspects. SWG was bad on many points but it had awesome ideas, the housing was great and the immersion was present. LotRO has a good appearance tab, Champions Online has awesome personalization possibilities and dynamic combat system so does Age of Conan, EVE online has good ideas and incredible liberty and World of Warcraft must have something too.

Don’t tell me to go back to X MMO, SWTOR is the only Star Wars MMO and that represents a lot in my life. Accept that it would gain a lot by having most of these sometimes very basic features and the game would only be better and last longer.

Just want a better SWTOR ;)

Edited by Deewe

1. Swimming

2. Third party addons

4. Dual spec

5. Day/night cycles

7. Planetary housing

8. Housing furnishing

13. Animal mounts

14. Flying mounts

15. PvP Arenas

17. Macros

19. Appearance tabs

20. Fishing

21. Guild "Tabard"

22. Multiplayer mounts

23. Gear Dyes

25. In game voice chat

26. LFG tool

27. Guild bank

30. 3 Factions RvR

31. Wolrd PvP

32. RPG tools

33. Underwater content

34. 3d exploration

The amount of wrong you are, in the density of it would make a black hole jealous.

The amount of wrong you are, in the density of it would make a black hole jealous.

He he, I like the way you says it.

So, would you mind bringing your little star close to me and enlight us or are you afraid of being devoured by my incommensurable gravity ;)

Edited by Deewe

Exactly. I'd prefer a game with all of the needed components, and less aesthetics, than a game that focused too much on aesthetics and left gameplay weak.

This is exactly what TOR is: just gameplay mechanics (and plain, barebones ones at that).

MMOs are supposed to be virtual worlds you can interact with. TOR is not this. There is no reason to charge a monthly fee for this game and call it "massive" in any way shape or form.

Well i understand somr features need to be there, and some of the above mention are already on the way... but others.. please... please no. no. NOooooo.

lol

Playable hutts or wookies is a no plz dont do that. house furnishing? realy your ship isnt enough? i agree it needs to have an costumizable inside. But houses in planets... why?

There some other features that dont fit much in the game imo. mainly because the story clash on that. I understand it should have a better character creation, but you shoulnd be able to play a wookie or a hutt jedi.. because its just wrong, it will ruin the game to manny players imo, other thing is fishing?! realy in star wars? lol why? i always found that pretty much useless in other mmos. The whole bioware experience will just vanish for me at least. I think the game needs to feel a litle bit more of a sand box yes, but a ballance and a compromise should be made, to not ruin the bioware experience of storytelling. Just saying.

Edited by Spartanik

I have been here since Oct 2008 and this is one of the best threads I have seen.

All of the features OP mentioned would be very welcomed by me. I think it is important not to overlook the smaller quality of life issues, which I feel Bioware has greatly overlooked.

The one thing I'd add to OP's list is phased questing. Bioware took an enormous amount from other MMO's, but left out phase questing which is perhaps the one thing they should have not only stolen, but went full speed ahead with.

I really hope Bioware does look at these forums for our feedback as much as they say they do, and I hope they see this thread.

Well i understand somr features need to be there, and some of the above mention are already on the way... but others.. please... please no. no. NOooooo.

lol

Playable hutts or wookies is a no plz dont do that. house furnishing? realy your ship isnt enough? i agree it needs to have an costumizable inside. But houses in planets... why?

There some other features that dont fit much in the game imo. mainly because the story clash on that. I understand it should have a better character creation, but you shoulnd be able to play a wookie or a hutt jedi.. because its just wrong, it will ruin the game to manny players imo, other thing is fishing?! realy in star wars? lol why? i always found that pretty much useless in other mmos. The whole bioware experience will just vanish for me at least. I think the game needs to feel a litle bit more of a sand box yes, but a ballance and a compromise should be made, to not ruin the bioware experience of storytelling. Just saying.

I agree on the races. It's logic. We can't have an Hutt pg. Wookie? Maybe but no a jedi.

I think your ideas are great. I love the game, love the new style of quests. I do agree that it could use some improvements in all areas you have outlined. All i can say is i hope bioware continues to make improvements and expand content as well as playability.

This is exactly what TOR is: just gameplay mechanics (and plain, barebones ones at that).

MMOs are supposed to be virtual worlds you can interact with. TOR is not this. There is no reason to charge a monthly fee for this game and call it "massive" in any way shape or form.

Monthly content updates disagree. They don't produce themselves.

Excellent and well thought out message, OP.

As a sandbox MMO fan, I really agree with a lot of your points: I think that TOR would really benefit from some of the features you mentioned, without necessarily "losing" its theme park roots. I'm especially referring to all that apparently "fluff" stuff that improve immersion, without the need of creating entirely new systems (housing, not ship customization which we may get in the future, as outlined by the Devs before release) or modifying the engine (like day/night cycles).

Hopefully, we'll see small improvements here and there as development proceeds (for now, I would be happy enough with chat bubbles, more chairs to sit on and similar additions).

He he, I like the way you says it.

So, would you mind bringing your little star close to me and enlight us or are you afraid of being devoured by my incommensurable gravity ;)

You realize in your haste you made a hyperbolic argument and all I would need to do is just present a single game in the past 15 years that did not have one of those many things on it and you would be wrong, right?

Do you really want me to do that, because you put "3 factions," as one of the critera that every game but TOR has launched with, and I wouldn't have to go far man.

@Dreossk - ...try reading the future patch notes. Many features are coming and many in storage haven't even been released yet. However, you do have many good points. Once the majority of the bugs/glitches are fixed I would like to see more sandbox elements implemented, non-linear gameplay is the best. Edited by Seeiphiel

Superb post OP. All of these things would be the beginnings of turning this mediocre single-player game to a mediocre MMO.. which at least might retain a few more thousand subscribers.. and they need every single one they can get.

It seriously baffles me that rudimentary and elementary things like in the OP's post were not in the release. How? Seriously.. how?

Throw that in with the complete LACK of successful MMO features, and you've got yourself a crap, single-player game called SW:TOR. So disappointing..

Edited by Feelinestars

You realize in your haste you made a hyperbolic argument and all I would need to do is just present a single game in the past 15 years that did not have one of those many things on it and you would be wrong, right?

Do you really want me to do that, because you put "3 factions," as one of the critera that every game but TOR has launched with, and I wouldn't have to go far man.

15 years... let's see:

Ultima Online (UO) is a graphical massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG), released on September 24, 1997

Just to pick-up one UO had day/night cycles.

1. Swimming
  2. Third party addons
  4. Dual spec
  5. Day/night cycles
  7. Planetary housing
  8. Housing furnishing
  13. Animal mounts
  14. Flying mounts
  15. PvP Arenas
  17. Macros
  19. Appearance tabs
  20. Fishing
  21. Guild "Tabard"
  22. Multiplayer mounts
  23. Gear Dyes
  25. In game voice chat
  26. LFG tool
  27. Guild bank
  30. 3 Factions RvR
  31. Wolrd PvP
  32. RPG tools
  33. Underwater content
  34. 3d exploration

Meant: only TOR shipped without having at least one of the entries above.

So, guess I'm going to enjoy dimmering your faint light... and a start died :csw_deathstar_un:

Edited by Deewe

This post is expected to remain high and in sight. Each user should write what they wish and bring it to the attention of developers. Bioware is not Blizzard. BioWare has always listened to users and will act accordingly. I believe it.