Could I get an official answer regarding macros?

DCnet

Hello, I am hoping for an answer regards to use of macros. I bind keys but when I duel or look at some of the guides, players are encouraging the use of macros to execute a rotation. (ex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xXvLQu2EE) Is it okay to use macros?

The guy in this vid specifically says it's okay but I couldn't find anything about it here, and in my mind it would give players an advantage over those that don't use macros.

Edited by DCnet

Hello, I am hoping for an answer regards to use of macros. I bind keys but when I duel or look at some of the guides, players are encouraging the use of macros to execute a rotation. (ex https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3xXvLQu2EE) Is it okay to use macros?

The guy in this vid specifically says it's okay but I couldn't find anything about it here, and in my mind it would give players an advantage over those that don't use macros.

Here's your answer:

Mod, Hack and Cheat Prohibitions

You may not use macros, add-ons or other stored rapid keystrokes

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

Regardless of what others have tolled you .... No they are not allowed.

You can use a programmable Keyboard or Mouse though. But nothing that executes commands or multiple keystrokes other than 2 key combos like using shift, alt, or ctrl with another key.

Edited by denavin

Did I miss something in that video?

"1 keystroke = 1 in game action" = legal.

Then he shows how he sets up multiple actions with 1 keystroke.

Then in the video he says he hits the same button repeatedly to get the different actions.

I've got a similar gaming mouse. by default the first 12 slots match up with the 12 buttons on the side.

That's all the keybinding I really need.

Using macros is definitely unfair and against terms of agreement. Something should be done cause its an unfair advantage to others who actually use skill to compete especially in ranked matches. Thank you for this post cause it proof that some people are actually cheating.

Been a while since these were posted, but I'm not aware of any changes in the policy:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3061390#post3061390

• No automation
  • No delays or looped commands in macros
  • It is okay to bind a macro that performs abilities after each other as long as it still requires the user to press the button on the physical keyboard each time a new action is performed

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6459160#post6459160

• Sequence clicking
    If you have a system set up so that if you hit the same key 4 times likes so: '1, 1, 1, 1' and instead of just firing off whatever 1 is bound to it fires off '1, 2, 3, 4', then as long as you keep it to 'one key == one other key hit' its in that grey area of not true automation. There is a caveat - you can't have the macro determine a minimum time between clicks to work around the global cool down timing and only fire the next button in sequence if the GCD has expired.

If you instead have a system that when you hit 1, it fires of 1, 2, 3, 4 in quick succession or all at once (i.e. one click == many actions) in order to try and fire something that isn't currently in a cool down state then yes, that is against the ToS. Again, one click must always equal one action and only one action within the game.

Edited by Mubrak

Using macros is definitely unfair and against terms of agreement. Something should be done cause its an unfair advantage to others who actually use skill to compete especially in ranked matches. Thank you for this post cause it proof that some people are actually cheating.

He has other YouTube vids for his channel, so I had a look and you he goes back to his character lists sometimes.

It’s very handy to take a screen shot of those names and you know it’s him if you see those names. ;)

I’ll be watching out for those macros :p

He has other YouTube vids for his channel, so I had a look and you he goes back to his character lists sometimes.

It’s very handy to take a screen shot of those names and you know it’s him if you see those names. ;)

I’ll be watching out for those macros :p

But technically this is not a macro. One key = one action,

For example if he did it like this 1 press of macroKeyOne = Ability 1 +1,4S delay + Ability 2+.... so on or

1 press of macroKeyTwo = Ability 1+ 1.4S delay + Ability 1+... so on and on

that would be indeed violation of ToS, but all this guy is doing 1 key + 1 ability. Sure he doesnt need to remember his opener or rotation but technically its 1 key = 1 ability. Anyway even if he used macro's its not like that they can track and ban him.

There is swtor krazer keyboard and mouse which whole point of selling these devices macros and keybind. Impressive work tough by the guys end

After the second look of ToS , this is not even a gray area, its just pure legal. I don't think it will apply all well to all classes and even trees but seems like working pretty well for Fury Mara. For example you can not set this for deception , cause you need 3 stacks of discharge to fire, or maul and shock needs to be lit before activation. Same goes well as pt as well. Really impressive job :D

After the second look of ToS , this is not even a gray area, its just pure legal. I don't think it will apply all well to all classes and even trees but seems like working pretty well for Fury Mara. For example you can not set this for deception , cause you need 3 stacks of discharge to fire, or maul and shock needs to be lit before activation. Same goes well as pt as well. Really impressive job :D

You mean this one :

You may not use macros, add-ons or other stored rapid keystrokes, "dupes," "cheats" or other patterns of play that facilitate acquisition of items, currency, objects, character attributes, rank or status at an accelerated rate

http://www.swtor.com/legalnotices/rulesofconduct

That’s pretty black and white as far as I can see.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It's obviously easier to do a rotation by hitting 1,1,1,1 over the usual 1,2,3,4 type of keybindings.

IDK, maybe in PVE, but who cares there? In PVP you get interrupted, stunned, pushed away, your target starts kiting, debuffs get cleansed, etc. If you can't finish your rotation you still need to hit the key a few times to move the macro to step 1. In doing so, you waste GCDs and might mess up your resource management.

Seems more effort to keep the macro in sync with your actual rotation than simply memorizing the keybinds.

Edited by Mubrak

@trixi

No I mean this one

It is okay to bind a macro that performs abilities after each other as long as it still requires the user to press the button on the physical keyboard each time a new action is performed

That is exactly what this guy is doing. Official response

• 4 months later...

Just FYI, they can and will ban you, permanently, for using macros. For example, mapping the G1 button on your Logitech keyboard to CTRL-SHIFT-1, CTRL-1, 1. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. You might even play that way every day from the day the game opened until today.

But once they notice it, you will be banned. No appeal. No warning. No second chances.

• Dev Post

This is a topic that usually pops up every couple of years so I am happy to commit some more yellow text to it. This is a pretty good summary though:

Put another way, the rule is 1 keystroke/key combination = 1 action.

That is the simplest explanation of rules that can get a bit complex. If it feels like you are doing something that might be against the rules, your best bet is to avoid it. And of course, avoid things like automation / botting completely as these types of actions can risk your account.

Thanks!

-eric

Just FYI, they can and will ban you, permanently, for using macros. For example, mapping the G1 button on your Logitech keyboard to CTRL-SHIFT-1, CTRL-1, 1. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. You might even play that way every day from the day the game opened until today.

But once they notice it, you will be banned. No appeal. No warning. No second chances.

There is no omegalul, so I can't put there but OMEGALUL! the game doesn't have any anticheat detection system dude what are you talking about! People are botting left and right, just look at the nar shaada night life event. People place characters there with simple mouse macro for 2 weeks now already without even moving 😂

I'm gonna be honest with you, I use a macro for gift giving. I set it on like a 1.3 sec timer then watch tv or surf the net because that channeling crap for gifts is ridiculous even with the reductions in legacy. They should add another rank that makes it instant or allow stacks to be given at once. If they want to ban me for that while all these gold sellers and botting people run rampant, more power to them. I'll take my sub money else where lol Edited by XxDarkMagicianxX

I'm gonna be honest with you, I use a macro for gift giving. I set it on like a 1.3 sec timer then watch tv or surf the net because that channeling crap for gifts is ridiculous even with the reductions in legacy. They should add another rank that makes it instant or allow stacks to be given at once. If they want to ban me for that while all these gold sellers and botting people run rampant, more power to them. I'll take my sub money else where lol

I played SWG for a number of years and macros were the norm, then my next mmo was RIFT, which also had a plethora of macros. Coming here I thought that's just how mmo's were, but nope.

I do agree with you on the companion macro, if there is one macro that could be implemented, it would be that one, not happening though. They do need to either shorten the channel or remove it altogether when giving your comps gifts. I stopped using the comps the game gives you via the story because I grew tired of leveling them only to have them disappear through the story, so I bought D-R3D, worth the CC and the time saved leveling more comps.

It'll be interesting to see if you're able to stick around after admitting that, good luck.

Since the character affection level was raised to 50, giving gifts to companions is a pain the fingers. SO IF I DRAG A GIFT TO THE QUICK BAR AND USE A MACRO TO PRESS BUTTON 1 EVERY 1.2 SECONDS. Is that cheating

"That's it man, game over man, game over"

I played SWG for a number of years and macros were the norm, then my next mmo was RIFT, which also had a plethora of macros. Coming here I thought that's just how mmo's were, but nope.

I do agree with you on the companion macro, if there is one macro that could be implemented, it would be that one, not happening though. They do need to either shorten the channel or remove it altogether when giving your comps gifts. I stopped using the comps the game gives you via the story because I grew tired of leveling them only to have them disappear through the story, so I bought D-R3D, worth the CC and the time saved leveling more comps.

It'll be interesting to see if you're able to stick around after admitting that, good luck.

I'm only working for 8 per crafting character, the rest I only want/need 2. I ranged and 1 melee comp. I've only lost 1 rank 50 so far and that was Elara on my DS Commando. I went to the companion terminal to get her back but she wasn't there lol. I did get pissed at that. I assumed they meant you could get ANY comp you've lost through story there, not just from the chapters.