Need to vent!

Spearo

Yeah the eternal problem of PUGS, from Esselles to Dread Palace there is always someone who makes you stop and say ***?!

From the guy who was wearing all Endurance gear and little or no Willpower or Power, on a Sage DPS with no Saber at all....to the guy who insisted on running the final boss on one of our OPs naked and then proceeded to blame the healer when he was turned into a messy puddle whilst he punched the boss....you see it all and learn that there are many different gradients of weirdos in the world...

Don't generalize... please. I have Sentinel and Marauder. I know the correct kill order if fight mechanics don't change it: anyone who is hitting/shooting healer -> trash -> strong -> elite -> champion.

There is any kill order ?

In Esseles we usually kill everything at the same time, except for the bosses, of course. Works good in Esseles.

In other FPs it's of courtse a bit complicated.

But I never saw any real "kill order". I only saw the need to help everyone out as good as I was able to (playing a Gunslinger). And it is my job to keep harm from everyone else, that's just the way it is.

There is any kill order ?

In Esseles we usually kill everything at the same time, except for the bosses, of course. Works good in Esseles.

In other FPs it's of courtse a bit complicated.

But I never saw any real "kill order". I only saw the need to help everyone out as good as I was able to (playing a Gunslinger). And it is my job to keep harm from everyone else, that's just the way it is.

Esseles and Black Talon are pretty easy going compared to other leveling flashpoints (besides Kuat Drive Yards). Technically they're scaled for two players, not four. (Two players with their companions, perhaps. But that's still a bit less demanding than a level designed for a full four player team.)

But typically in levels designed for a full team the ideal would be something like this:

1) team uses their 60 second stuns to lock up as many of the toughest targets (gold or gold-silver, although golg-silver are usually bosses and are usually immune) as possible (starting with stealth characters' stuns since they can't do it after combat starts)

2) tank starts in on the toughest remaining target (gold or gold-silver) and catches the attention of any other tough targets that aren't tied up as well

3) DPS tear into the weakest enemies (unmarked, ie not silver or gold or gold-silver) first, two DPS can pick different trash targets from each other without issue (they should go down fast), avoid waking tied up targets

4) DPS move onto strong (silver) targets, two DPS can still manage their own separate targets without issue but focused fire is nice if you want to get each one down quicker, avoid waking tied up targets

5) DPS move onto elite (gold) targets, two DPS should probably try to focus fire on the same target for speed (probably starting with whichever one has taken more damage from the tank so far), avoid waking tied up targets

6) when only tied up targets remain (assuming other enemies went down fast enough that the 60 second stuns haven't worn off already) follow the tank's lead and focus fire on one target at a time.

Notable exception to this order: If at any point during any of that any enemies have turned on the healer, somebody needs to intervene immediately. Whether that's DPS attacking or tank taunting/attacking or both, somebody needs to draw attention away from the healer because they're more effective at keeping you alive if they're not distracted with keeping themselves alive and if they're not getting their casts delayed by enemy attacks (that's what pushback reduction refers to in some classes' skill trees by the way (I know I didn't know that until recently)).

Yep, been there myself. As a person who regularly plays tanks and healers, ignore, ignore and ignore. Dps are a dime a dozen. More than likely they'll be the ones complaining in General chat about queue times. Utilize that ignore function and move on.

Add to the plethora of reasons why dps queues are longer.

Most of my characters only do dps. I don't usually get complaints from healer/tank in FPs but when I do it's when I attack weak mob instead of strong/elite.

Edited by Halinalle

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PLAY DPS AND DON'T KNOW IT, THIS IS THE KILL ORDER:

1) Anything wailing on the healer

2) Weak trash mobs

3) Strong mobs that are not CC'd

4) Elite mobs that are not CC'd

5) Champion/boss (or, by this point, whatever the tank is hitting)

Anyone that tells you different in SWTOR is speaking in ignorance. There are a couple fights in which this order is *not* followed, but they are very rare. You can memorize this order and it will serve you well in 99% of the group content that's available. Killing in this order means that incoming damage is reduced as quickly as possible and the healer isn't getting hit by 6 trash mobs while the rest of the group focuses on the boss.

If someone gets mad at you for killing the weak stuff first, you can either try to explain it to them or leave group. But they are wrong.

This is generally why I avoid low lvl pugs and solo FP with Treek. It is a bit harder than having a whole group, but I don't have to deal with people like that and I get 4x the amount of XP from all the kills. I don't know how bad it is anymore from experience but I've dealt enough of those kind of players long enough during launch and refuse to do normal FP with people most of the time. Got to love Treek.

Ran into a similar issue not too long ago OP. In my case, it turns out the people I grouped with were friends who had never played TOR or an MMO for that matter. They had no idea how loot worked so they needed on everything. After a little explanation everything was sorted out.

TOR is a haven for new MMO players IMO. Have to remind myself of that every once in a while. However, like any MMO, there are also dbags running around.

It doesn't make it right, of course, but it makes se- Wait, T7 uses aim, yes? And if it was a blaster that a Scoundrel could've used it must have had cunning on it. Yeah, there's no rationalizing this. (At least on Imperial side, if this story happened with an Operative healer and three bad Marauders, it would be a blaster that Vette could use.)

You can change mods. Orange pieces are nice even for companions. But yeah, Greed is what you select when you want it for companion.

Vette uses Cunning, just FYI.

This behavior also transfers to all the sm ops so get ready. I have already stopped doing any flash points months ago and now I try and only do DF/DP Ops. People needing on tier gear they already have, needing on the junk gear...it's ridiculous. It has taken all the fun and desire to do the weekly SM Ops. Soon the loot hogs will have no one to get loot from as people gravitate to other games on the horizon and leave them here to rot in their pilfered gear. BTW, Wildstar beta is the bomb!

A blaster pistol drops, and guess what 3 sentinels, i repeat 3 sentinels, all NEED, on my orange, nicely leveled blaster pistol.

While disappointing, I don't ever depend on winning loot rolls in levelling FPs. Between planetary comms and crafting armorings, barrels and hilts, I simply don't need them.

Thanks guys, for the advice and the warnings. I'll take it all to heart. :)

I hate this behavior too, but it is what it is.

If you want the bonus comms more than the drops, use group finder.

If you want the drops more than the bonus comms, solo the fp or bring a friend.

Ran into a similar issue not too long ago OP. In my case, it turns out the people I grouped with were friends who had never played TOR or an MMO for that matter. They had no idea how loot worked so they needed on everything. After a little explanation everything was sorted out.

TOR is a haven for new MMO players IMO. Have to remind myself of that every once in a while. However, like any MMO, there are also dbags running around.

The first time I grouped up with other players I didn't understand how to do anything. When need or greed came up, I assumed that greed was the bad option, so needed on the item. :D

Welcome to the low level nightmare, Spearo!

Some bads just won't learn. Why do bads always seem to gravitate to Sentinel...?

Because they are so cool!

One time we got a PuG sentinel on one of our guild runs, and the idiot kept running around with no stance on - so I politely send him a tell to remind him that he forgot to turn on his stance... and do you think there was any response to it? Nope, none whatsoever.

Next step: I call him out on it over the Ops chat, which alerts everyone to the fact - think he responds then? Nope, still nothing.

So next step... a swift kick to the posterior and bye bye.

The saddest thing about all of that was that it was a 55. :rolleyes:

My brother was that guy in the FP once (coincidentally or not he was also on a Sentinel). He needed on everything and didn't answer anyone. I was in the FP with him and he was ignoring me as well. I was trying to text him but he kept yoloing into things so it was a real pain.

While at his house the next day I looked at his setup. He had never played an MMO before so he had no idea what need/greed meant he just knew clicking one of the buttons made the popup go away. He was ignoring me because somehow, probably while moving it, he had turned off his chat window. The only way it was visible was if he hovered over it.

These things happen. Sometimes there is a reason sometimes people are just jerks.