How did Rakata die off?

Reeny

Some sort of plague.

The plague turned them fuzzy, made them small and teddy-bear-esque. Hence, Ewoks were born. It also explains how Ewoks were able to take down Imperial troops without any decent tech.

Then those damn rebels just had to explodify a high-mass object in a low orbit, causing debris and meteor strikes to wipe them out a second time.

Then those damn rebels just had to explodify a high-mass object in a low orbit, causing debris and meteor strikes to wipe them out a second time.

Except that the Forest Moon had its own shield.

Remember that in order to land, Han had to request that the "planetary shield" be lowered. And given that the Death Star's destruction didn't result in any large chunks flying off, any bits that managed to avoid being vaporized in the explosion would likely be few and small enough that the shield would hold.

There was a plague that made them lose their connection to the force. Most of their technology was built to be used with the force (like the star forge). Then the worlds they enslaved rebelled and

They became mostly trapped on Raxus Prime I think it was. You meet them in kotor.

After generations of galactic supremacy, the Infinite Empire began to fracture and by circa 25,200 BBY the Rakatan empire imploded. Constant tensions between internal factions suddenly erupted into a devastating civil war caused by the Star Forge's corrupting influence. Already weakened by warfare, the Builders were suddenly struck by a deadly plague that spread rapidly through their ranks and decimated the species.

The virulent plague nearly exterminated the Rakata and brought the Infinite Empire to its knees, yet the worst was yet to come. The Rakata suddenly and inexplicably began to lose their connection to the Force.

After that the enslaved species took notice of the force absence and rebelled.

Yea, Infinite Empire collapsed, because Rakata lost their ability to use the force and most of their technology was built around using the force.

Though they should not be completely extinct.

In the first KOTOR game in the end you go to this ancient Rakata homeworld and there are living Rakata there divided to 2 tribes. One is technologically primitive tribe that is just begining to show signs of getting their force sensitivity back. The other tribe has more advanced technology (though none of their original force technology) but does not show any sign of force sensitivity.

I don't think they were even all killed in the canonical ending of Kotor, so there should still be living Rakata at the time of TOR.

I don't think they were even all killed in the canonical ending of Kotor, so there should still be living Rakata at the time of TOR.

yeah there is you found one in Sith inquisitor story, but the point is they are no longer an empire, and the tribes you found in KOTOR were pretty much what remains of the people. and they are no longer advanced etc.

There was a plague that made them lose their connection to the force. Most of their technology was built to be used with the force (like the star forge). Then the worlds they enslaved rebelled and

They became mostly trapped on Raxus Prime I think it was. You meet them in kotor.

Rakata Prime. Minor correction.

While it is true that the infinite empire fell, the rakata aren't extinct. There was a star wars roleplaying game released a while back about the unknown regions, and it mentioned the rakata archipelago (I know, I spelled that wrong). The rakata are there and building multiple star forge like stations. As far as I know, this is true up into Luke's era.