Bioware why the ninja nerf to death from above?

Galvatron

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two 50 BH, a PT and a Merc so I have used DFA a lot, and DFA was OP from the start IMO. The area allowed you to take too many mobs down at once and too many BH use it as a crutch. Now its right where it should be in terms of how big an area if affects. Now BH actually have to think about what they will do after DFA only cripples one trash mob and damages a strong mob instead of killing both trash mobs and crippling the strong mob. Why they might actually pay attention to the gear on their companions and use their other skills for a change. Its funny so many people were saying how carebear the game is then when they try to even things up the other side starts a whine-fest. What a community, pft!

I started playing BH for the RDPS it brought to our guilds OPS groups, needed to down the bosses before the enrage timers went off. Before the patch it was a very close race. Last night it was an absolute joke, in EV we wiped many times on the trash before the first boss. DFA is almost useless now as it really isn't much of a AOE ability.

I tried many ways to get my abilities rotation to work with no success, the overall damage reduction is greater than 30%. TM took a huge nerf doing between 1k to 1.3k and 2k to 2.4k crit, where before I was hitting 1.9k to 2.4k and 3k to 3.5k crit. We ended up calling it quits on the second boss EV HM since we didn't have enough DPS to down him in time. I can only imagine what the results will be in 16 man regular OPS KP going against the fabrication droid with 4.7 mil health.

If it were truly a 10% nerf I could live with that, but it feels like I'm doing 50% less overall damage now and if changes aren't made real soon will consider closing my subscription.

Now BH actually have to think about what they will do after DFA only cripples one trash mob and damages a strong mob instead of killing both trash mobs and crippling the strong mob.

The thing is, it doesn't bith cripple the trash mob and damage the stronger mob, because you'll very rarely see them standing close enough to each other. Now it only works on melee enemies that have surrounded your companion, friend or yourself, but due to the knockback you won't get multiple hits on more than 2 enemies if even that many. You can't use it as an initiator, because the enemies will pretty much always stand to far away from eachother, which also means that using it on ranged enemies is pretty much pointless. And not being a very mobile gunner, gathering up a bunch of enemies to deal 600-2k damage with a 1min CD seems like a bit too much work.

I don't mind the damage being reduced eventhough I haven't been pvping yet, but the radius reduction just turned it from an AOE into a STA (Single Target Attack).

Having two BHs you should know this is not the right way to solve the problem.

The damage nerf is fine, it was ridiculous before, let's be honest. The radius kinda sucks though, it tough to not make it miss entirely. Oh well, it's still decent and one of the best Aoe abilities in the game, just maybe not THE best any more. Our damage won't suffer too much because of it, it was an OP damage-stat padder anyway.

this is a con , the tick rate change has drastically altered DFA no matter what any dev says ...

if it has been reduced to ticking evey 0.5 secs, then it should take 6 times very quickly ( replacing the original 3 hits at 1.0 secs a tic)

It does not , it ticks three times only ..... first fail....

second fail .... becuase you have made it tick every 0.5 secs instead of every 1.0 secs we now have to roll 6 times to crit instead of three .. ... Fail

third and final fail ...

Because it ticks at 0.5 secs now the BASE numbers are smaller that SURGE is based off

50% surge of a 600 base hit is a LOT less than 50% surge on a base hit of 1500 ( i appreaciate our surge is a lot higher the % matters not , i am using 50% for easy description)

maths bioware......

so lets review shall we? ...

50% of a LOWER base figure will always give you reduced results, than 50% of a higher base figure even if you say it ticks twice in the same time ( which it does not )

Pre patch i was 1.2-1.5k per target and 2.2 - 2.5k per crit

Now i see three ticks of about 650 each and crits of 1.1k

because the percentage surge is based off a much lower starting figure yes we have lost some dps.....

this is a terrible stealth nerf .....

and my last question

IF IT WORKS EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE....... WHY THE NEED TO CHANGE IT?

more lies upon lies .....

this is a con , the tick rate change has drastically altered DFA no matter what any dev says ...

if it has been reduced to ticking evey 0.5 secs, then it should take 6 times very quickly ( replacing the original 3 hits at 1.0 secs a tic)

second fail .... becuase you have made it tick every 0.5 secs instead of every 1.0 secs we now have to roll 6 times to crit instead of three .. ... Fail

third and final fail ...

Because it ticks at 0.5 secs now the BASE numbers are smaller that SURGE is based off

50% surge of a 600 base hit is a LOT less than 50% surge on a base hit of 1500 ( i appreaciate our surge is a lot higher the % matters not , i am using 50% for easy description)

maths bioware......

50% of a LOWER base figure will always give you reduced results, than 50% of a higher base figure even if you say it ticks twice in the same time ( which it does not )

because the percentage surge is based off a much lower starting figure yes we have lost some dps.....

and my last question

What he said! TBH i wouldnt be so anoyyed about it if it would tick 6 times, but with it ticking 3 times only, why they wont half the cooldown as well? + us having to roll for crit so many tiems... its stupid

third and final fail ...

maths bioware......

and my last question

Nice post. Please un fix this.

third and final fail ...

maths bioware......

and my last question

REALLY!? What's more outstanding is that the two previous posters quoted this guy as if he was a master statistician...

Never mind DFA it's radius nerf and it's perceived dmg nerf, my OCD tells me I must correct this aberration!

First of all let's deal with probabilities...

You used to roll 3 times, those 3 times you either crit them all for huge dmg or you did not crit at all, same probability for both scenarios to happen (although unlikely on each extreme.) You roll 6 times it means that both extreme scenarios of non crit and all crit are even less likely, the dmg then normalizes itself closer to it's avg. No dmg gained or lost, it's just how probability works.

As for surge % and base dmg... Do you even know how percentages work?

Let's say that DFA hit for 1.5k pre 1.2, post 1.2 that would be 750. Now let us pretend that during a DFA, pre 1.2, one of its ticks crits, and post 1.2 it crit two of it ticks (most likely scenario with 33% crit chance). For the sake of this post, surge is baseline 50%.

Pre 1.2 (1.5k tick)

50% of 1.5k = 750

1.5k + 750 = 2250

That would be a 2250 dmg on the crit tick

Post 1.2 (750 tick)

50% of 750 = 375

750+375 = 1125

1125 x 2 = 2250

Well what do you know, 2 crits of 1.2 = 1 crit of pre 1.2! SORCERY!!!!

Edited by Nesso

I can only speak for myself but the changes to DfA really took away much of my enjoyment of the BH class. I'm not a PvPer nor am I a hardcore player. I often solo or duo with a friend. I'm a pretty casual gamer and am not really concerned about maxing my toon's statistics. I play to have fun - and DfA was fun. It was a great opening move. It gave the BH class a powerful feel. As others have said, the long cool down and minimum range kept DfA from being overused. With the changes to DfA, the BH class - in my opinion, at least - is just a lot less fun to play.

In the end, it's the entertainment value of a class that keeps people playing it. Being able to point to a spreadsheet and saying "look, everything is balanced like we envisioned it now!" is pretty meaningless if it robs the fun from it.

I can only speak for myself but the changes to DfA really took away much of my enjoyment of the BH class. I'm not a PvPer nor am I a hardcore player. I often solo or duo with a friend. I'm a pretty casual gamer and am not really concerned about maxing my toon's statistics. I play to have fun - and DfA was fun. It was a great opening move. It gave the BH class a powerful feel. As others have said, the long cool down and minimum range kept DfA from being overused. With the changes to DfA, the BH class - in my opinion, at least - is just a lot less fun to play.

In the end, it's the entertainment value of a class that keeps people playing it. Being able to point to a spreadsheet and saying "look, everything is balanced like we envisioned it now!" is pretty meaningless if it robs the fun from it.

I have to say that you have spoken for me as well.

Why did they FIX something that was'ent broken?

Damage from Death From Above should not be any different in this patch. All that was adjusted was the radius of the effect. Damage is applied faster now (every .5 second instead of every second) but the overall damage is the same.

The overall damage is already not the same BECAUSE of the reduced radius. Please see my previous, active thread about this issue. I would love to see a dev weigh in on this.

The overall damage is already not the same BECAUSE of the reduced radius. Please see my previous, active thread about this issue. I would love to see a dev weigh in on this.

It is the same. Just because someone steps outside of the range doesn't mean the damage output of DFA has been changed.

Granted I agree the radius nerf sux.

However, everyone complaining about stealth nerf to damage, is untrue. It ticks 6 times (tested it last night and this morning before servers went down) instead of 3.

Groups of 4-5 on Bel bonus/Ilum 3-4 would die pre 1.2. Same 3-4 die now in 1.2 Problem is the radius is drastically reduced so you can knock mobs out of the range easily.

You just have to use it more carefully, and in PvP have a friend slow/stun and lead them.

death from above was F tons better than mortar volley, thats part of the reason.

all you have to do is center ur DfromAb more in the mob/group of players, its stil good stuff, just open your eyes a bit more

Mortar was actually better as Tactics (not sure if it's fixed, may not be) but your Pulse Generator Stacks affect your Mortar without removing the stacks.

Unfortunately for us AP BH's, it doesn't affect our DFA, sucky.

you guys are all going to see less damage there WAS A CHANGE TO EXPERTISE!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are going to do less damage overall in pvp. Base your DAMAGE in pve in a set enviroment to test damage. THERE WAS NO NERF TO DEATH FROM ABOVE!

The radius nerf gives us a total area about 40% the size it used to be. This is simple math (8m radius = 201 meters square, 5m radius = 78.5 meters square, 78.5 = 39% of 201)

So we hit 40% of the area we used to hit, and knock everyone out of the area (in PVE) with the first tick. If it is centered on a target, that single target will take all the hits, I've yet to see more then 1 target take the full damage from it, the others take almost nothing.

Also, with the total diameter being 10m (5m radius x 2) instead of 16m (8m radius x 2) we hit fewer mobs then any other AOE I've seen. I haven't played a sith warrior yet, but the other imperial classes have much larger AOEs that do more damage. On my agent, I clear a group of trash mobs in one use of orbital bombardment, or at minimum, bring them down to one hit kills. I never did that much with my BH's DfA, and he is in much better gear.

DfA is now barely more usefull then walking away from the keyboard during a fight. When trying to pull groups of trash mobs while doing dailies, I am now finding myself often laying down a rain of missles that damages not a single mob because I place it between them like I always have. The MOST mobs I've hit on a pull now is 2. That's hardly an AOE.

you guys are all going to see less damage there WAS A CHANGE TO EXPERTISE!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are going to do less damage overall in pvp. Base your DAMAGE in pve in a set enviroment to test damage. THERE WAS NO NERF TO DEATH FROM ABOVE!

so the fact that we hit 1/2 as many targets, and knock them out of the area with the first tick means we're still doing the same damage? I guess my math needs some work.

I've got to say, the hysterical crying in this thread is really funny. So is the made up "math" being thrown around. (Here's a hint for the logic-impaired: a radius reduction of x% is not a damage nerf of x%. It is a radius reduction of x%). Mathematics - how do they work?!

I played around with the new DFA for about three hours last night. The damage is identical; the radius is smaller. If I placed the reticle properly, even level standard mobs within it were reduced to a sliver of health, every time, just like before the patch. This is over more than a hundred applications.

I believe the perceived "damage nerf" is people not yet used to the fact that you can't just drop the reticle anywhere within 20 feet of the mob group and have everything anywhere near it fall over dead.

In short: The ability is working exactly as described in the patch notes. L2P.

Edited by Calavero