Why are Tanks so badly neglected in commendation vendors?

BenjaminminU

I've been levelling up my jedi guardian tank recently, aquiring more and more moddable gear as i level, but i have noticed that there are no way to get any mods or enhancements that favour tanking stats on the modification vendors, my only option seems to be to bulk buy the pieces from the equipment commendation and exchange mods, or grind flashpoints as there are no guardian tank mods available. I am currently on Balmorra but i do wonder if this will improve by the end of act 2, as i would rather not endlessly grind where other roles can simply buy what they need from the mod vendors.

If i am not mistaken.. tanking style enhancements are only available from around level 30ish and up. Even crafters cannot make them.

Although, tbh you don't really need tanking mods for anything below that kind of level anyway

If i am not mistaken.. tanking style enhancements are only available from around level 30ish and up. Even crafters cannot make them.

Although, tbh you don't really need tanking mods for anything below that kind of level anyway

Yeah since alderaan ive been able to get them in gear, but there are none on the commendation vendors outside of moddable gear, just annoying since i'll have to buy several pairs of gloves to gear up.

Use an Artifice? I mean, if you want diversity of enhancements, look to player-made ones. That's why they're there. If everything players could make could be purchased at an equal quality, there'd be no reason for player-made items to exist.

Bulwark/Steadfast/Immunity Enhancements are what migitation-specialized players should look for. Artifices make those. You won't find 'em anywhere else, save a random FP/Heroic drop.

Edited by RazielHex

• 3 weeks later...
Use an Artifice? I mean, if you want diversity of enhancements, look to player-made ones. That's why they're there.

Sort of missing the point there in my opinion. While yes, you could buy tanking mods/enhancements from other players it is sort of unfair that dps/healers can just buy mods/enhancements that are good from comm vendors, while tanks, which are arguably already one of the harder things to play, are forced to spend tons of money to buy comparable mods for their role. Well that or go off tanking in subpar gear at those levels. (Likely not a factor that helps the already natural ratio imbalance between tanks vs dps).

So yea, after just leveling up an assassin tank and a guardian tank to 50 over the past month or so, it is a question that was also in my mind as well, and frankly from what I saw it never got better. (IE you will only get mods/enhancements from some quest rewards, or FPs).

In no way is it "unbearable" though, you can usually survive and make it to 50 with absolute ease anyway, especially since tank+healing companion will be enough for any quest, and likely even most heroic 2 quests, perhaps even some heroic 4's. So aside from flashpoint gearing, its no "major" concern.....still I will agree it is "unfair".

There are only a handful of comm vendors that have tanking mods. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head (because it's been so long), but they do exist.

And really, you don't need a lot of mitigation/defense until endgame anyway. MOBs under 50 just don't hit hard enough. Your best bet is to troll GTN for your tanking mods and just use your comms for armorings and gearing up your companions. That's the wash, I think. Tanks usually have better geared companions.

There are only a handful of comm vendors that have tanking mods. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head (because it's been so long), but they do exist.

Every commendation and specialty goods vendor after, I believe, Tattooine (starting when you're in your 30s, essentially) has a tank option to go along with the DPS/heal options. Up until that point, the best you're gonna get is a higher Endurance variant.

I'm still just aggravated that the endgame tanking gear from the vendors on the fleet is still loaded down with Accuracy and not Shield Rating. Why do we need that much Accuracy again?

We don't. No one really does.

Gear optimization in TOR is another grind in itself if you're looking to min/max.