Looking for a PvP Sniper build.

piterpanx

i think Lethality build better way for pvp then MM.

I make his words, mine.

lethality hits faster than marksman and maybe even more, also it doesn't need the cover, the only problem is that it consumes two to three times more energy. As long as you keep your energy up, lethality is the way to go for pvp

Engineer is the sniper pvp spec.

It is all about the snare on interrogation probe with talents.

Otherwise you will never kill someone as they can run away too easily. Everything else you have to stop runners breaks on damage or is melee range otherwise.

Plus the top tier engineer talents are survivability talents which is what we lack. Even Plasma probe is not so much a damage skill as a melee deterent to be thrown on your own head.

Corrosive grenade can snare too but only has 50% uptime at best (and even then you clip your dot). Interrogation is 100% uptime if Torhead is true. Though on the other hand its 18 seconds between reapplication for IP and only 12 for the grenade.

If you want to go marksman then

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbdMoRZrI0boRZb.1

You cant pvp without a snare.

Its not as bad a WoW without a snare because there is no runthrough spell cancelling, but as soon as you get a snare on you dont have situations where your screen is telling you they are in front of you and the server says they sprinted behind a wall 2 seconds ago.

It is all about the snare on interrogation probe with talents.

Otherwise you will never kill someone as they can run away too easily. Everything else you have to stop runners breaks on damage or is melee range otherwise.

Plus the top tier engineer talents are survivability talents which is what we lack. Even Plasma probe is not so much a damage skill as a melee deterent to be thrown on your own head.

Corrosive grenade can snare too but only has 50% uptime at best (and even then you clip your dot). Interrogation is 100% uptime if Torhead is true. Though on the other hand its 18 seconds between reapplication for IP and only 12 for the grenade.

If you want to go marksman then

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400rsrbdMoRZrI0boRZb.1

Its not as bad a WoW without a snare because there is no runthrough spell cancelling, but as soon as you get a snare on you dont have situations where your screen is telling you they are in front of you and the server says they sprinted behind a wall 2 seconds ago.

Corrosive grenade is also an aoe snare vs interrigation single target. Engineer also has no burst at all compaired to the others. Last time i checked burst is king of pvp. (unless you are just trying to do crazy amounts of dmg with no kb).

I beg to differ, as MM i may lack some def or snares but we have just as many ways to get out or keep them back. Also if you running as a team (IE premade with friends ect) MM offers alot more to the team with its burst where another class can apply better snares or control.

I run with a Marauder, Merc and Sorc most the time. If anything gets to me chances are we have been out played or getting stomped. Its also funny as all to blow up ball carriers within seconds of garbing it. Teaming with a Dps OP is also a great move when they guard you for anyone daring enough to charge you.

• 1 month later...

You pro-Lethality guys do realize that one cleanse and all your damage is gone right? It hits both in one cleanse and the grenade is on a 12 seconds cooldown. Lethality is garbage for both Operatives and Snipers atm until Bioware fixes it

Oh and any movement impairing effect removers also remove the grenade completely if you have the talent to make it slow them.

Edited by jheise

• 1 month later...

I've got my sniper to 33 so far and am valor 27 or so. I've been marksman this whole time and the WORST part of being a marksman sniper is having to get into cover. If you can setup cover while your teammates have a group of the enemy occupied, it's pure gold. You can just pew pew people down easy. Otherwise, you're pretty much dead meat.

I'm going to try both of the specs you folks mention to see how it goes.

Ive tried both specs, both has their pros and cons, I however like leveling as leth at 42, but other than that I will probably pvp as MM, since I run out of Energy so fast as leth. Cover is no profblem for me at all, I also like cover against warriors who like to charge, and sins/PT who like to pull.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/imperial_agent/sniper/#::efe4fef2e3f3efef2ef20ef2e2f3e3fefe2f:

This is what I'm aiming for. Level 39 atm, got all the leth talents, working my way through Engi now. So far I top the board for damage in 9/10 wz's, even on a losing team.

I like the versatility and the frankly ridiculous burst potential for when someone MUST DIE NOW.

I'll Cull targets I can get both poison dots on, if I can't (grenade on CD etc) I'll usually go for Explosive Probe -> Series of Shots then work from there.

As for potential burst, how's this?

Interro Probe -> Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Cull -> Explosive Probe -> Series of Shots -> Cull with Takedown thrown in when it lights up.

Sure, it's heavy on the energy, but that would HURT. I also find energy to only be a problem in drawn out fights. In most wz's you get killed/cc'd often enough to allow energy to regen, particularly if you dart the hell out of everyone in sight and let the crits do some of the regen work for you.

In general, I also find that a lot of snipers panic when engaged in melee - this is where Debilitate, Leg Shot and Flash Bang prove their worth.

All in, I'm pretty happy with how I'm performing atm.

Corrosive grenade is also an aoe snare vs interrigation single target. Engineer also has no burst at all compaired to the others. Last time i checked burst is king of pvp. (unless you are just trying to do crazy amounts of dmg with no kb).

Comparing Corrosive Grenade to Interrogation probe isn't entirely fair. Corrosive Grenade's snare only lasts for 6 seconds, versus Interrogation Probe's 18 second snare. One can snare 3 people for 1/3 the time the other can snare one person. Interrogation Probe also costs less (if talented), and deals more damage in a shorter time-frame than Corrosive Grenade.

I'm not saying Interrogation Probe is better, but if you're going after the most damaging, utilitarian, single target DoT, Interrogation Probe should be your go to.

As for Engineer's burst, well, it's not as bad as people seem to think. It's actually much more 'burstier' than MM, but you're left with some downtime in between SoS and Explosive Probe that MM snipers (and Lethality to a lesser extent) don't have to suffer. This can be filled with Snipe/Ambush, but I prefer to fill them with defensive cooldowns, stuns/interrupts, and Frag Grenade (which with Explosive Engineering and Experimental Explosives can crit for almost as much as snipe, it's AoE, costs the same, and is instant).

@OP, I would decide what interests you, and how you want to go about PvPing. Engineering tends to have less overall damage, but is much more sturdy then other Snipers, and has great utility. I currently swap between a pure Engineering and a MM/Engi Hybrid (depending on what I'm in the mood to do) for PvP. Pure MM should work as well. And despite what the common forum wisdom seems to be, I would actually advise against Lethality. It's perfectly fine under most circumstances, but against players who can and do dispel, or teams with a competent healer, you'll find yourself useless very fast.

You pro-Lethality guys do realize that one cleanse and all your damage is gone right? It hits both in one cleanse and the grenade is on a 12 seconds cooldown. Lethality is garbage for both Operatives and Snipers atm until Bioware fixes it

Oh and any movement impairing effect removers also remove the grenade completely if you have the talent to make it slow them.

True, BUT remember that this is a game that's not blessed with addons like Decursive. Much of the Lethality tactics is based on hoping that the DoTs don't get enough attention during the heat of battle until it's too late. People tend to panic more over sudden chunks of health loss than smaller ones. The healers are more ofthen busy spamming heals than trying to locate random DoTs to cleanse.

I just switched to Leth/Engi and it was like night and day from MM. Granted, it requires a different play style and I'll probably go back to MM eventually, cause I enjoy the more "snipey" style. Saying Lethality is garbage just like that show that you haven't really put any effort in it.

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/imperial_agent/sniper/#::efe4fef2e3f3efef2ef20ef2e2f3e3fefe2f:

This is what I'm aiming for. Level 39 atm, got all the leth talents, working my way through Engi now. So far I top the board for damage in 9/10 wz's, even on a losing team.

I like the versatility and the frankly ridiculous burst potential for when someone MUST DIE NOW.

I'll Cull targets I can get both poison dots on, if I can't (grenade on CD etc) I'll usually go for Explosive Probe -> Series of Shots then work from there.

As for potential burst, how's this?

Interro Probe -> Corrosive Grenade -> Corrosive Dart -> Cull -> Explosive Probe -> Series of Shots -> Cull with Takedown thrown in when it lights up.

Sure, it's heavy on the energy, but that would HURT. I also find energy to only be a problem in drawn out fights. In most wz's you get killed/cc'd often enough to allow energy to regen, particularly if you dart the hell out of everyone in sight and let the crits do some of the regen work for you.

In general, I also find that a lot of snipers panic when engaged in melee - this is where Debilitate, Leg Shot and Flash Bang prove their worth.

All in, I'm pretty happy with how I'm performing atm.

This is almost the exact spec I am using except I drop efficient engineering for experimental explosives, and it works wonders. I switch up the order a bit and depending on the situation I will use dots --> Ambush --> Explosive probe --> cull --> takedown... the burst from ambush/explosive probe is hard not to use... a double crit can drop the target 50% instantly.

The three dots along with the explosive probe 2ndary explosions timed with the cull ticks really makes hp melt away, even on heavily armored targets.

I prefer the additional aoe crit damage for the times when you need to drop an orbital barrage on an objective or on yourself when you need to take a melee in a burst fight.

Root the target, drop the barrage on yourself and continue bursting him. Either he is going to eat a ton of elemental damage or he is going to back off.

Edited by Chubblin

http://db.darthhater.com/skill_calc/imperial_agent/sniper/#::f2ef2efef2e3f5ef21e8f2e3fe3f2

This is a build that I have been the happiest with. To often as a sniper you are left with limited options while on the move. This build allows you to keep the damage up while on the move and also build your dps up gradually so that all of your high end damage is coming at the end. Basically allowing your target and his healer less time to react to what you have been working on. Once it is time to deliver the killing blow there is little left to do. Yes cleansing is an issue, but it is less of an issue than sitting in one spot while you take it to the face from melee. I have tried all of the basic specs, eng, mm, and lethal. I haven't found them to be a complete pvp spec. This hybrid is more towards what I think is the maximum potential of sniper pvp at this point. You will be using all of the dots at a snipers disposal. Corrosive grenade, dart, interrogation and I even throw in a shatter shot while in pursuit to help along the end of the bombardment. Next you fire ambush, explosive probe and finish them off with series of shots. Overload is usually enough to chase them down with if things don't go as planned. Normally they will be running once the figure out what just happened to them.

Here is the build I have been using for awhile now:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400ZrI0bRRbZG0rkrroz.1

Absolutely lethal! You get snares from both interrogation probe AND corrosive grenades. You have great AOE damage, minimal energy problems, mobility, and great burst.

For single targets, my rotation is often: interrogation probe, corrosive grenade, corrosive dart, explosive probe, cull. If that doesnt finish them, I follow up with series of shots and take down. My original rotation can be run without cover, minus explosive probe.

This build works well for PvE and PvP and rules in Voidstar :)

looking to try this for PVP, any thoughts?

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400bsrrbRoRZrI0boRb.1

I find it difficult to justify going high into MM without taking Imperial assassin. It's 30% more damage on your biggest ability crits (minus ambush).

Personally I pvp as 18/23 hybrid

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400ZrI0bRobZGbbkrrhz.1

You get 3 dots here.... a beffy explosive probes with cluster bombs that act as another short duration dot plus cull which hits very hard with your dots going. To address a previous post about cleansing dots.... it is valid in theory, but in practice many healers don't get a chance to do so. Unlike wow, cleanse has a cd, and even when I run into a healer that is aware of what I'm trying to do and what spec I run you can still outplay him. For example, start with corrosive dart if he's very cleanse happy and let him waste it since dart has no cd, if he doesn't clean it shatter shot him and ambush/series to force him to heal your damage, interrupt it, grenade, probe, cull. That's just one example of a way to get around it, but obviously every situation will be different and you'll have to play it on the go.

One more quick point about lethality and hybrid builds. It's important to have corrosive dart up on a few people at a time to benefit from the energy regen, also don't forget that cluster bombs from EP also return energy when they explode.

Edited by ebigz