Why do people hate the new trilogy?

khayyinx

Ok, i know that there's some things that wasn't very nice in the new trilogy, like how the event were forced in the end of the ROTS (the way padme die, ***?), but they still are Star Wars movies and have a LOT of cool things.

As a SW fan, i really like all the lightsaber fights (which we don't see in the old trilogy) and force powes. Also the story is still really cool.

Adding all the effects i would say that the new trilogy is as good as the old ones, if not better, for the people who likes to see more action and grandiosity...

So, i would like to know your opinion on that matter. PLEASE, don't just say that one movie just suck. Post your opinion and arguments about all the movies.

ANH was the first film I saw in the cinema. It's kinda hard to compare the wow factor then than it is now. ANH was released in the same year (I think) as 'Logan's Run'. The difference between the two is incredible even now, never mind when you saw TIE-Fighters against X-Wings for the first time.

And who can forget the first time they heard the words 'Luke, I am your father...'? Followed up by the Battle of Endor a few years after? The first time you saw Speeder Bikes? (and selective memory is making me forget the Ewoks...)

I can't think of a single instance in the new trilogy that made my jaw drop the way the original trilogy did.

I don't mind the new trilogy per say, but it's not the best acting, nor the best script... Seems to be held together with CGI glue..

Because lots of people don't look deeper into it, they only see the 1st layer and judge it from that. If you look at it from a different point of view, when Anakin shows up and you watch him throughout each movie and study it. Then his fall, and all that, the characters, will make more sense....as for Padme dying from a broken heart, that is an actual thing that can happen its just very rare for someone to die because of it.

More to that when the PT came out, movies were judged on a different level then they were back when the OT was released. I mean movies now a days, rely pretty much on opening night to get the money and good reviews in if it doesn't do well they just scrap it all together.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I enjoyed the PT for the most part, but there were a couple of things that bothered me, and one MAJOR disappointment.

I love Jedi, and seeing them in action was awesome! CGI doesn't bother me, it looks real to me. The script writing could have been better. They could have spent less time on pod racing.

The major disappointment was Anakin. I had always pictured Anakin as epically heroic person who was "seduced by the dark side of the Force," as Obi-Wan said, and suffered a tragic fall into madness.

Instead, we got a whiny teenager. And not just a "the other Jedi don't like me" type of whiner, but one that had to run to his enabling wife, who placated him like he was five.

I expected to see a real man, someone I could mourn when he fell to the dark side, not a brat that I would have happily kicked into the lava myself.

The whole story of his fall was not well done, but if you read the novelization of "Revenge of the Sith," there's a lot more detail that fleshes out that story line and gives it a little more substance.

Padme's death was ludicrous, a woman that strong would never just give up and die because he juvenile husband didn't love her anymore, especially with two newborn babies to take care of. I have friends who post her picture on Facebook every year on mother's days, and it just makes me want to scream, "WTH kind of example of motherhood is that supposed to be?"

Obi-Wan, on the other hand, was everything I thought a Jedi should be, so that made up for a lot.

So, I don't hate them, I've seen them all several times, and I consider them part of the saga.

but the originals had lots of bad acting too

i think the primary reason, is , that the originals were made as "artwork",,lucas and co

doing , what they did best, without too much interference

phantom menace was clearly low budget, compared to the others

i think the other two had too many loose ends to tie up in too little screen time

and too many analysts/focusgroups putting in a word too

but still,,i enjoy the new ones too,,but not as much as EMPIRE STRIKES BACK:eek:

I only particularly hate Attack of the Clones. It's got a lot of pacing problems, is sort of indecisive about what it wants to do, and really handles the Anakin character poorly.

Revenge does a considerably better job and would have done even better if certain parts of the original draft weren't cut (which is why everyone should read the Stover novelization; Lucas page edited that and Stover's an amazing writer so the end result is much closer that what even the screen was meant to bring across). It only stumbles in a few places, particularly fleshing out some of Anakin's frustrations with the Jedi.

As for Phantom Menace, it's aged much better than some people thing and people do detract it basically just parrot RLM's videos about it without giving substantive critique of their own. It's maligned because there was no way it would meet the expectations of fans to begin with and dismissed because a lot of people don't bother. They say "Midichlorian!" as if it means what they think it does (ie. turning the Force into a science), which it does not. If any film really deserves the benefit of re-examination, that's the one.

My personal opinion on the matter is that most of the love of the original trilogy is nostalgia, a decent number remember the moments they think are epic but gradual forget the mediocre moments . With the prequels I do agree that it seems like they tried to force a lot of the story into a short space of time.

I really liked the prequels, it gave the impression of really epic battles that the original trilogy lacked significantly in my opinion. I have no real preference between the 2 trilogies.

I highly recommend watching the documentary "The People v. George Lucas". I think it highlights very well the feelings between the fans and the creator, for good and for bad. Especially regarding fan's feelings on the prequels. It's on Netflix.

When star wars 1st came out, no one had any information on the star wars universe. Everything was new and fresh and you were surprised by the plot twists.

The new trilogy had 30 years of star wars to deal with and everyone knew what was going to happen so it wasn't new or fresh.

What people are referring to?

I love the new trilogy.

I just finished watching all the movies from Phantom to the 6th one in 3 nights.

The new trilogy is really beautifully made, a joy for the eyes, and the story is told nicely.

People will always find something to complain about, but those are secon-handers. I do not deal with such characters.

My biggest issue was there was so much going on between the 3 movies that the 3 actual movies seemed rushed.

Also the time line, so much happens in the Clone wars but the wars themselves only last 2 years.

And if you read the books, not the cartoon but the books and actual timeline, it was about 2 1/2 hears from start to finish.

Again the whole thing felt too rushed. My biggest beef besides the horribad acting by Hayden. But if you ever watch the movie Takers, i think the guy took acting lessons. Where was that kind of acting when he was doing freakin 2 and 3?

First off, I greatly enjoy watching ALL of the Star Wars movies. Here are my problems with the new trilogy:

TPM: Honestly, I loved this one. Not a lot wrong with it except I would have made Obi-wan a little more main (BTW his fight with Darth Maul was the best ever imo)

AOTC: I think this episode would have been the best except for to BIG problems.

1: Anakin is a big baby!

2: I love a good love story. The fact is, this movie's love story was pathetic. Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul......tormenting me." Seriously? She'd never fall for Anakin! Never! Nobody in their right mind would ever fall for that guy!

ROTS: This one was good because of its epicness. But it had one big problem.

1: Ever notice how many different planets the main character usually visits? They go to a lot of various/cool places. For the most of this movie the main character (being Anakin) just sits at Coruscant and wines. Boring. *Yawn*

So there you have it. They're great movies, but they're not without their faults.

1: Anakin is a big baby!

2: I love a good love story. The fact is, this movie's love story was pathetic. Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul......tormenting me." Seriously? She'd never fall for Anakin! Never! Nobody in their right mind would ever fall for that guy!

This pretty much nails it for me. I to enjoy a good love story, and this was average at best. In addition, it appeared as if they used an entire can of hair spray on Hayden's mop.

I've seen Hayden in other movies, he's whiny in those as well. For me, he's just not a believable actor, but who am I to argue, I'm on here discussing it, he's had a decent career, and he's bagging Rachel, so he must be doing something right.

Could the trilogy have been done better? Sure. Overall, I enjoyed all three, and still watch them on Spike if I happen to be home nerding out to this game.

Edited by Pirana

I don't hate the prequels, but you might not like my reasoning.

I found that the original trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (worst sin for me in storytelling) and mediocre acting (with a few good performances). The reveal of an antagonist worst than Vader and his return to grace was decently executed.

I found that the prequel trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (we know who the bad guy is ****'s sakes) and poor acting (with a few good performances). I felt Anikan was written quite poorly, less of a tragic figure than he could have been, which dragged down the entire series. However, Ian McDermitt's return to form in the finale was extremely entertaining.

I enjoyed the above, but if you are capable of a dispassionate review of the movies their failings become apparent. Of course, most people can't dispassionately review the movies because they have that childhood *wow* moment when they first saw the Death Star explode and are completely able to whitewash all the negatives. I don't remember seeing the originals in theaters. I remember watching them on a degraded VHS as a teenager.

Star Wars to me has only really shined in the extended universe, in games like Jedi Knight, KotOR, and now TOR.

You might say I'm a bigger fan of this game than the original movies. That is entirely accurate actually.

- Arcada

Edited by Nydus

I don't hate the prequels, but you might not like my reasoning.

I found that the original trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (worst sin for me in storytelling) and mediocre acting (with a few good performances). The reveal of an antagonist worst than Vader and his return to grace was decently executed.

I found that the prequel trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (we know who the bad guy is ****'s sakes) and poor acting (with a few good performances). I felt Anikan was written quite poorly, less of a tragic figure than he could have been, which dragged down the entire series. However, Ian McDermitt's return to form in the finale was extremely entertaining.

I enjoyed the above, but if you are capable of a dispassionate review of the movies their failings become apparent. Of course, most people can't dispassionately review the movies because they have that childhood *wow* moment when they first saw the Death Star explode and are completely able to whitewash all the negatives. I don't remember seeing the originals in theaters. I remember watching them on a degraded VHS as a teenager.

Star Wars to me has only really shined in the extended universe, in games like Jedi Knight, KotOR, and now TOR.

You might say I'm a bigger fan of this game than the original movies. That is entirely accurate actually.

- Arcada

I share your thoughts.

I prefer movies with an interesting story and great characters, the original trilogy had that much more than the prequels. Some scenes looked because of the special effects pretty awesome, but in the end it is somewhat shallow. It was like the characters are not really in the setting, with all the bluescreen shots. In the original trilogy the characters interacted with their surrounds almost all the time, it felt alive, in the prequels it feels so dead (SWTOR suffers from the same problem, mobs don't feel like they are actually living in the worlds).

I don't mind Jar Jar, I even like the Gungans as a spicies. I had no issues with the medi-chlorians, since it was always obvious for me that there is some physical connection to the force, so that only certain people can learn to use it. John Williams did a great soundtrack again. But altogether it still felt like it has not enough heart. Instead of the more psychological duels we had in the originals, we got just flashy fights. Vader worked great, even with his mask one could see his inner conflict in Return of the Jedi (I just don't get why Lucas had to ruin that scene by adding a dub there), but in prequels Anakin is mostly just boring and I can't nderstand them even with the option to read hin face.

Edited by Drudenfusz

This pretty much nails it for me. I to enjoy a good love story, and this was average at best. In addition, it appeared as if they used an entire can of hair spray on Hayden's mop.

I've seen Hayden in other movies, he's whiny in those as well. For me, he's just not a believable actor, but who am I to argue, I'm on here discussing it, he's had a decent career, and he's bagging Rachel, so he must be doing something right.

Could the trilogy have been done better? Sure. Overall, I enjoyed all three, and still watch them on Spike if I happen to be home nerding out to this game.

Hayden's best performance is actually the Movie Takers. He isn't whiny, hell there is this one scene he's sitting playing the piano and he just nails it. Infact at the end of his performance i didn't say "Wow i think James Franco could of done better" Instead i was like "Wow, Hayden actually nailed this role."

Mediocre acting. Bland characters. Massive overuse of CGI. Convoluted plot. That and just tons of little things. Crap like Padme's death. People like her do not just die instantly because of a "broken heart". Especially when they have access to highly advanced medical technology.

Anyways, the RedLetterMedia reviews pretty much nailed it.

Hayden's best performance is actually the Movie Takers. He isn't whiny, hell there is this one scene he's sitting playing the piano and he just nails it. Infact at the end of his performance i didn't say "Wow i think James Franco could of done better" Instead i was like "Wow, Hayden actually nailed this role."

The few I've seen him in, he was either brooding or pouting, you name it. Unfortunately for that reason, I've stayed away from most of his movies.

I've followed most Star Wars actors over the years, going as far back as Corvette Summer with Hamil. I'll keep an eye out for the movie you've mentioned. Hayden must be doing something right, he's still getting gigs.

The few I've seen him in, he was either brooding or pouting, you name it. Unfortunately for that reason, I've stayed away from most of his movies.

I've followed most Star Wars actors over the years, going as far back as Corvette Summer with Hamil. I'll keep an eye out for the movie you've mentioned. Hayden must be doing something right, he's still getting gigs.

Actually it has a good cast. TI, Paul Walker, and a few others, but Hayden actually pulled his weight.

Again if you want to see some decent acting out of Hayden, look up "Takers" good solid movie overall.

Then you'll be asking yourself, "why couldn't of he brought that kind of level of acting to Anakin Skywalker?!"

Edited by TalonVII