Pvp bolster not fixed. Hurry up Titan.

Gaucho

I did extensive testing yesterday ... comparing my Conq. gear with *some* crafted gear. [...]

I neglected to mention, with regard to the above post with my gear comparison, something of note. I spent a huge amount of time that day optimizing the mixed crafted and pvp armor for the test to the point not just of augmenting, but also stripping the the mod & enhancement out of my Conq weapon in order to make the rest of the Conq. armor the best it could be. In short, for the purposes of the test, I gave the Crafted-PvP gear combo the *absolute* max amount of stats I could cram into it. There's no way I could get those numbers (in the first section) any higher.

By contrast, when I replaced the crafted pieces with the Conqueror mainhand, earpiece, and 2 implants, I threw the not-optimal mod & enhancement I'd stripped out of my armor back into my Conq. weapon. Basically, I did what I could with augments, but other than that, the Conq. gear is NOT optimized; not min-maxed. In other words, those numbers would continue to improve with replacing some of the item modifications. I thought that was an important enough distinction to point out for those of the view that the differences between the PvP vs. crafted 54 purples was too small to make the gear grind worthwhile.

Edited by BoushhDC

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6121757#post6121757

Bolster will bolster characters up to right below Partisan gear, the new level 55 PvP set gear.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6171888#post6171888

Although we always want to keep the PvP environment competitive even for players not wearing full PvP sets, Partisan and Conqueror should be performing better in Warzones than their PvE counterparts.

Nothing is fixed as long as PVE gear > Partisan gear. The discussion should be about that instead of PVE vs Conqueror.

Im sorry but lol @ hard earned.

The only thing you have to do to get them is invest time.. it has nothing to do with skill or aiblity or anything else.. you could suck eggs in every WZ you are in, but if you do enough of them you get the shiny new toys

gear has nothing to do with anything other than the fact you need more sunlight.. get over yourselves.

This is both correct, and incorrect.

The same time argument can be made for PvE gear, the obvious exception is you can't really suck eggs and get gear.

Ultimately, what you fail to realize is that MMO grinds have been here since the dawn of the era. They are put in on PURPOSE. Else we'd still be wearing our BiS Battlemaster gear.

This overrides your silly inference of needing more sunlight, which is just an insult covering your own laziness. Having a RL isn't an excuse for properly gearing one character eventually.

Self-entitled society, you fit right in with the root cause of the degradation of MMORPGs today.

I love Bolster. Crafted gear should be the best gear in the game otherwise what's the point in crafting? Grinding for gear is stupid. "I have more gear than you so my hits do more DPS to you and your hits do less DPS to me, that means I'm "good"".

Again, a lazy self-entitled answer for someone who doesn't want to put the time in, and skip the standard MMO grind that Bioware INTENDS. The point in crafting is making gear for alts, making items for profit. This MMO is set up like every other major one - you RAID for the best PvE gear, you PVP for the best PvP gear.

Moreover, you should realize that crafting is as much an afterthought as PvP is to Bioware. If it wasn't, you wouldn't see all the great designs get fed to the cartel market, instead of...you know...crafters.

Any unintended (read: lolbolster) side effect detracts from these long term objectives. A dev himself (Hinkle) said it was never really intended for level 54 crafted crap to replace PvP gear 100%. He said the best PvE gear should bolster to approximately 65-70% of max expertise. Between that and the innate statistical gains, it made things reasonably balanced while still gives a modest edge to PvP gear.

You don't see Bolster in raids, do you?

it's crystal clear to anyone who's objective and can read Bioware's posts that the only problem with these level 54 items is the bolster on expertise. The rest of the statistical bolster is fine.

Stop being lazy, stop being terrible, and earn your gear just like the rest of us. Less QQ, more pew-pew.

Edited by islander

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6121757#post6121757

Nothing is fixed as long as PVE gear > Partisan gear. The discussion should be about that instead of PVE vs Conqueror.

Then post your stats. Btw, Partisan can be optimized too (the vendors sell the mods & enhancements). I just think it's a waste to do so since it's a stepping stone set, a gateway set, basically.

Edited by BoushhDC

Then post your stats. Btw, Partisan can be optimized too (the vendors sell the mods & enhancements). I just think it's a waste to do so since it's a stepping stone set.

I dunno, optimized Partisan is a little better than some non-optimized Conq, but the difference isn't that vast at all.

Edited by Pistols

I have L50 PVE gear. I put two expertise barrels +41 (or thereabouts) into my blasters. Using these my EXP went to 1890. I swapped these out for two blasters with a damage of about 170-240, low level guns.

My EXP went to the cap of 2018. Why would I bother with conq' gear when I can hit 2018 EXP with PVE gear (and zero-expertise capping me?). My kit it's all orange with commendation mods, and blues only. I'd rather stack nice PVE attributes on top of my 2018 expertise.

I dunno, optimized Partisan is a little better than some non-optimized Conq, but the difference isn't that vast at all.

Yeah, the main difference is you trade off some health and main stat but you get slightly more 'overall power' with the endurance minimized partisan pieces.

I have L50 PVE gear. I put two expertise barrels +41 (or thereabouts) into my blasters. Using these my EXP went to 1890. I swapped these out for two blasters with a damage of about 170-240, low level guns.

My EXP went to the cap of 2018. Why would I bother with conq' gear when I can hit 2018 EXP with PVE gear (and zero-expertise capping me?). My kit it's all orange with commendation mods, and blues only. I'd rather stack nice PVE attributes on top of my 2018 expertise.

Why bother? Lol... Show some SS of you being at cap with PvE gear on...

Expertise isn't the only thing that matters in PVP either. What is you HP? My guess around 24K.... If you are a casual, fine, but if you actually want to have the best performance you need PVP gear...

Why bother? Lol... Show some SS of you being at cap with PvE gear on...

Expertise isn't the only thing that matters in PVP either. What is you HP? My guess around 24K.... If you are a casual, fine, but if you actually want to have the best performance you need PVP gear...

This... People are saying bolster is too complicated but really it looks like part of the community isn't too bright and actually having to think about secondary stats, main stats and expertise is just too much work. They are getting close to having it all sorted out, it will be PvP gear > PvE gear and you can trade in certain PvE piece to augment secondary stats at am expertise and like endurance trade off.

Now maybe they could make a bolster stats screen or something so you don't have to enter a WZ to see how it is altering your stats but right now just join a WZ and switch pieces around as many have done in this thread. Have a good weekend everyone!

Edited by Avicii

I'll do an SS later this evening. It should be easy to replicate. Wear PVE gear in the L50 region and have 'zero-expertise'.

I recall the Dev's said not to mix / match PVE / PVP gear; and this still seems to be true. I'm sure other PVE'rs are finding the same thing 2018 Expertise. My health is probably around 24K, though remember I'm nowhere near geared.

I upgraded to a 25 purple barrel, it added about 96 pts of damage and didn't effect my 2018.

Here's the advantage for capped out PVE, is you can focus on other stats, primaries and secondaries. I don't know how my damage compares to others (L52 and undergeared but bolstered), FWIW:

Primary Damage: 944-1398

Expertise: 2018

PVP Boost: 60%

PVP Damage Reduc: 37.5%

PVP Healing: 20.83%

These are my stats using two expertise +41 barrels as my only experrtise

Damage: 978-1302

Expertise: 1718

PVP Boost: 51.08%

PVP Damage Reduc: 33.81%

PVP Healing: 17.35%

It's a big difference. Maybe with full PVP gear it'll improve but the main stats and secondaries would have to exceed PVE gear, if I stay capped at 2018?

Edited by saido

I'll do an SS later this evening. It should be easy to replicate. Wear PVE gear in the L50 region and have 'zero-expertise'.

I recall the Dev's said not to mix / match PVE / PVP gear; and this still seems to be true. I'm sure other PVE'rs are finding the same thing 2018 Expertise. My health is probably around 24K, though remember I'm nowhere near geared.

I upgraded to a 25 purple barrel, it added about 96 pts of damage and didn't effect my 2018.

Here's the advantage for capped out PVE, is you can focus on other stats, primaries and secondaries. I don't know how my damage compares to others (L52 and undergeared but bolstered), FWIW:

Primary Damage: 944-1398

Expertise: 2018

PVP Boost: 60%

PVP Damage Reduc: 37.5%

PVP Healing: 20.83%

These are my stats using two expertise +41 barrels as my only experrtise

Damage: 978-1302

Expertise: 1718

PVP Boost: 51.08%

PVP Damage Reduc: 33.81%

PVP Healing: 17.35%

It's a big difference. Maybe with full PVP gear it'll improve but the main stats and secondaries would have to exceed PVE gear, if I stay capped at 2018?

Like I thought... PVP gear has HP around 30k and better damage ratings.

Besides that, if you are in OW with no PVP gear, good luck....

These are my stats using two expertise +41 barrels as my only experrtise...

Just to note that BW also said that in WZs under the affects of bolster, having mixed PvP and PvE item modifications in a single item (in this case, just having Expertise on the barrel), you're actually gimping yourself, to paraphrase. Also in your case, this is x2 since you did it on both weapons.

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

I have passed this on to the combat guys for investigation as it appears the bolster bug wasn't fully addressed. I apologize as I actually did this last week and thought I posted about it, but apparently I didn't!

Either way, it is in the combat teams hands for investigation as we speak and as soon as I have exact details I will pass them back on to you!

-eric

Hey folks,

I have passed this on to the combat guys for investigation as it appears the bolster bug wasn't fully addressed.

Many of us, are not surprised...remove this crap from 55's, your team has proven they can't execute this with any amount of developmental skill.

Sry Eric, 3 months of this is old.

Edited by Pistols

Many of us, are not surprised...remove this crap from 55's, your team has proven they can't execute this with any amount of developmental skill.

LOL, so true. I'm pretty sure I am the most forgiving / understanding SWTOR players around but I have very low regard for the folks responsible for PvP bolster. Sure, everyone makes mistakes but the stubborn refusal to flush endgame bolster down the toilet where it belongs and the resulting slow motion train wreck is sad.

TANGENT: is there a post somewhere that clearly lays out the goals of endgame bolster? Given my experience in the huttball grabbing macro thread I realize that BW and I have very different concepts of clearly laid out.

Presumably one of these would be:

• Using a bolstered PvE item should never be better than using the corresponding Partizan item

• Using a bolstered PvE item should never be better than using the corresponding Partizan item

This, if by "corresponding" you mean same slot and not same item level. By any means should a PvE item, whatever the item level, should be better than Partisan. If it's an item of superior level, it should be scaled down stats wise in order to never be better than any PvP gear!

This, if by "corresponding" you mean same slot and not same item level. By any means should a PvE item, whatever the item level, should be better than Partisan. If it's an item of superior level, it should be scaled down stats wise in order to never be better than any PvP gear!

They should have done that all along. If you are wearing partisan item or greater, then no bolster. If you are not wearing at least partisan, stats are hard set to partisan level expertise and -5% to other stats from where they would be in partisan gear. That gets tricky when considering which set the class would be wearing, but I suggest a bse partisan stat per class. Optimization would not be an option for bolstered players.

Edited by Technohic

They should have done that all along. If you are wearing partisan item or greater, then no bolster. If you are not wearing at least partisan, stats are hard set to partisan level expertise and -5% other stats

That and removing bolster from RWZ. Doesn't make any sense having bolster on ranked. If you queue for ranked the expected is to have PvP gear. If you don't: too bad for you!

LOL, so true. I'm pretty sure I am the most forgiving / understanding SWTOR players around but I have very low regard for the folks responsible for PvP bolster. Sure, everyone makes mistakes but the stubborn refusal to flush endgame bolster down the toilet where it belongs and the resulting slow motion train wreck is sad.

TANGENT: is there a post somewhere that clearly lays out the goals of endgame bolster? Given my experience in the huttball grabbing macro thread I realize that BW and I have very different concepts of clearly laid out.

Presumably one of these would be:

Just tired of seeing garbage development by amatuers; here's a thought for your team, feel free to pass it on Eric...

If you want to introduce Bolster to the highest bracket, develop a working bolster first.

MY MIND IS BLOWN AT SUCH A RELEVATION....

:rolleyes:

At this point I agree completely. It's better to take a beat down for a week or two while gearing up than keep playing under a broken system.

At this point I agree completely. It's better to take a beat down for a week or two while gearing up than keep playing under a broken system.

But that's not why they gave Bolster to 55's....they gave it to the PvE'ers who are too lazy to get their own gear.

Bolster wasn't for PvP'ers...but for the carebears.

this.

its getting insulting at this point. a PvE gearing bug would not last a week, let alone 3 months.

remove if from 55, give everyone free Recruit gear mk3 that is 5-10% worse than Partisan gear. allow crafters to make a set of armor that is slightly better than Recruit mk3 gear if you want crafters to be part of the PvP gearing process. but get bolster out of 55s. it sucks.

the concept was very, very good. yet for some reason the devs have made it the most convoluted and complicated thing ive seen in an MMO. nobody knows how it really works, not even you guys. so please get rid of it.

Just tired of seeing garbage development by amatuers; here's a thought for your team, feel free to pass it on Eric...

If you want to introduce Bolster to the highest bracket, develop a working bolster first.

MY MIND IS BLOWN AT SUCH A RELEVATION....

:rolleyes:

this game is an open beta pistols...

its actually a pretty common thing now, for open beta to be treated as a live game in order to generate cash flow. ive been playing Mech Warrior: Online which is the same kind of thing.