View Single Post

Captain_Zone
05.15.2012 , 12:54 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Setsugetsuka View Post
People's excessive whining over the simple fact of who shot first is pathetic.

Also, George Lucas was very limited with what he could do back when he made the OT, so of course later with the progress of technology he is going to go back and fix things.
It reminds me of the time I read that someone was saying that Jabba the Hutt was meant to be a human, I lol'd.

Also, just for clarification for whoever was saying that George lied about having 9 movies; he did have 9 movies planned. But he didn't know if A New Hope was going to catch on or not, so he had to condense it so that it was essentially a stand alone film. In essence, I assume it's ending would have been more in kind to Empire Strikes Back, where it doesn't really end but leads into the next episode. Due to him having to condense it, the Death Star was brought forward, when originally it wasn't meant to be featured in Episode 4, and the second Death Star as far as I know didn't exist.

Also, the emperor wasn't meant to be faced until Episode 9. Obi-Wan wasn't meant to die in Episode 4, but George had to kill him off because he had no part after the Death Star sequence after George had to change the entire story. With this also, Yoda was never meant to exist, instead it was meant to be Obi-Wan who trained Luke. Go figure.

It was the same reason Han was frozen in carbonite, he had no function after that, he had no role, as if they focused on him, it would have taken too much away from Luke vs Vader which was meant to be the focus. Also, Leia was never meant to be Luke's twin, it was meant to be someone else, but I assume logically that it wouldn't have fit to introduce such a major character in the third movie. Still, makes the kiss really weird.
I watched the interview in 1980 AFTER Empire Strikes Back released with George saying he still had 7 more movies ready to be made. Scripts done and ready to go. Then after Return of the Jedi, he basically went back on his word without saying anything. Then the first Star Wars novel came out with Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn. And many of us who had given up on George making the remaining 6 movies latched onto the Thrawn Trilogy as the spiritual successors to the OT. Which at that point in time, they were. George Lucas himself approved them, and said they were good books. Then he came out with the Prequels and everything went to hell in a bucket.

As I stated above, the Prequels weren't THAT bad, and they made money. Unfortunately, the "Raider Nation" Star Wars fans went apenuts on George, and we saw how thin his skin really is. He emoRAGED on fans for a while, and refused to take responsibility for his bad writing and directing. Not to mention the film critics who pointed out that the PT wasn't nearly as good as the OT. In fact, one of the local headlines in the paper where I was living at the time said "The Magic Is Gone" above the review for Phantom Menace. Even then the movie STILL got 3 out of 5 stars from the reviewer. But George showed that he is incapable of taking constructive criticism.

When everyone said that the OT was better, I firmly believe he intentionally ruined it to spite those fans who railed on him for the Prequels. When an author retcons himself like that, it's a sign that something may be seriously wrong with his mental state. His DVD commentary notwithstanding. His excuses were flimsy at best, and outright bantha poodoo at worst.

Btw, there is no argument as to who shot first between Han and Greedo. Watch the ORIGINAL OT, and you will see that Greedo never fired a round. Han shot him down in cold blood. That was also part of the story of Star Wars. The journey of Han Solo from self-centered self-absorbed drug smuggler into a true hero when he finally finds a cause to believe in.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"