Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

One of the things that confuses me the most about vehement, vitriolic and venomous detractors of this matter, to be quite honest, is that they don't seem to comprehend that we're all in the same boat. We all have the same main problem of not getting enough information out of the developers.

// snip

Statements like 'work on things everyone will enjoy' are totally erroneous. I won't enjoy any PvP-related feature they put in because I don't PvP and I greatly dislike even the chance of accidentally flagging by wandering too close to an enemy medical outpost (like I did on Hoth). But I still support the calls for more info on, and more implementation of, PvP options because I feel they deserve an answer, and because I want people to have things in this game that they'll enjoy even if I won't. And I find it disheartening that so very often doesn't work in reverse.

Quite frankly, when people throw the "everyone/majority" argument here I don't think it's an honest objection.

How often do you see PvPers going to the crafting forum saying "stop asking for more end game schematics because not everybody enjoys crafting" ? How often do hardcore raiders go to threads were people ask for more customization options for their toons and dismiss them because "not everybody cares about looks and raids are more important" ?

But, for some reason, when it comes to same gender romances, oh, what the majority allegedly wants and plays becomes relevant. That's BS

Sadly, I don't think there's a "same boat" for s/s romance.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth best of luck!

It was worth a shot.

From the bizarre and oblique way in which we are receiving information from the community team (and piecing things together, we are receiving it), it appears that there is some overriding directive in regards to same-gender content which prevents a direct reply to that subject on the forums in such a manner that causes it to appear on the Developer Tracker.

I've asked about this. That question has been sidestepped - curiously - by a reply which instead addressed inquiries as to the status of same-gender content. So if there is such a directive, it would seem to include a coda preventing the team from discussing the directive.

Weirdly cloak-and-dagger, but given the way things are handled it is the only theory I can put forward that makes any sense of what we are seeing. To their credit, it seems that the community team is doing their best to get the message through while observing the restrictions that I infer have been imposed. I do not get the impression that they like this any more than we do.

Or maybe they just like messing with our heads. Who knows?

I want to close on the encouraging note that we have not been told that our last available update on the status of this content is no longer valid. Also, the fact that this thread continues to exist might well be an indication that same-gender content has not been abandoned as we are being encouraged to continue to discuss it. That is good news, however indirect it may be.

Edited by Uluain

Statements like 'work on things everyone will enjoy' are totally erroneous. I won't enjoy any PvP-related feature they put in because I don't PvP and I greatly dislike even the chance of accidentally flagging by wandering too close to an enemy medical outpost (like I did on Hoth). But I still support the calls for more info on, and more implementation of, PvP options because I feel they deserve an answer, and because I want people to have things in this game that they'll enjoy even if I won't. And I find it disheartening that so very often doesn't work in reverse.

I think we should be working together on this, right across the board.

Agreed, I always said the coolest thing about star wars is the large variety of personalities who love it just as much as i do, and the amazingly huge range of reasons why, it is pretty fascinating. Whose to say one persons issue is less important than anothers, tho i say i think this is more important than me getting to play a wookiee, until last nite, i had no idea that same gender reltionships werent in the game yet, cuz i remember way back when they said it, just assumed they did it for companions i hadnt met or used much yet ,lol I'm so thick.

Edited by Beans_of_steel

I have to ask, why do people think F2P is going to mean less money for EA and less content for players? Have you guys, like, never played a "Freemium" game before? Those things are expensive! My current main game is Mechwarrior Online, which is freemium (it is also awesome :D ), I've been playing it around two weeks now and I think I've blow something like $250 on it. That's pretty average for an F2P game. At some point companies figured out that gamers found a subscription fee of more than about $15 a month excessive, but that they'd happily blow huge amounts of money on "premium" content. If it didn't work as a model the entire gaming industry wouldn't be using it.

I have to ask, why do people think F2P is going to mean less money for EA and less content for players?

I've seen arguments for it before but they've never convinced me. LotRO seemed to improve its content release schedule when it went F2P. I suppose it can be done well or terribly, and BW:A/EA so far isn't giving people much confidence regarding its judgement, but I'm actually rather looking forward to F2P.

Just putting this here as I still can't believe I got a reply.

Ok, promise to stop posting here now. Sorry.

Yay! You got a response! I'm trying not to read too far into things, but it does say "what kind of features" are going to be implemented. That definitely implies that features are going in.

I need to stop posting today, I really do, the lack of communication just set me off today. It's good to see a response.

Edited by iamthehoyden

Just putting this here as I still can't believe I got a reply.

Ok, promise to stop posting here now. Sorry.

I received a reply by PM, too:

Hi Uluain! Thanks for writing with your question, and thanks to you and the many of the others in the SGRA thread for being constructive and always reporting instead of engaging people who want to tear you down.

I know you're all really eager to get some news about SGR in the game, and I'm sorry to disappoint you by saying that I don't have any updates right now (also sorry for the slow PM response - I get quite a few and they can stack up fast!).

As soon as we have any new word, we'll let you know. We're definitely aware that you've all been very patient and would really just like to know more about our plans for SGR. Sorry again that I don't have any more news :(

Nice of her to reply but why has she not done so here, in the one thread where we are always encouraged to continue the discussion? If they want us to use this thread, why do replies only ever happen elsewhere?

I received a reply by PM, too:

Nice of her to reply but why has she not done so here, in the one thread where we are always encouraged to continue the discussion? If they want us to use this thread, why do replies only ever happen elsewhere?

Thats a good question, the only thing that comes to mind is maybe there worried discussing it publicly could stir up controversy. Perhaps they intend to just slip it into an update and hope peoples excitement about other new stuff makes it easier for them to ignore the more controversial. I really am just guessin here tho.

Thats a good question, the only thing that comes to mind is maybe there worried discussing it publicly could stir up controversy. Perhaps they intend to just slip it into an update and hope peoples excitement about other new stuff makes it easier for them to ignore the more controversial. I really am just guessin here tho.

I think, really, it is part and parcel of their "sh*tstorm containment protocol" (pardon my Bocce). That is, we know they try to er quarantine same-gender content discussion to only one thread, because it is a topic that draws nasty remarks and if it's not right out on General Discussion, the nasties are less likely to see it and, not seeing it, are unlikely to make a stink.

A reply in this thread by any of the half-dozen named Community Reps would automatically show on the Dev Tracker - again, bringing this thread to a more general attention and making more work for those tasked with shoveling up the mess when one happens.

By choosing to reply to individual enquiries, the Comm Team can be relatively sure that the information we receive privately will be shared with this thread in any case - to be seen by those who follow this thread because they care about the content without alerting random blie-spewing d-bags.

That is my best guess as to why it's this way. I have asked more than once -- they aren't saying.

Edited by Uluain
hyphenation

I got a response to my PM as well but it says about the same thing, no news yet but she did say they do frequently read this thread.. whether or not that is true is up to speculation but hey at least it is a response. more than we've had in months

No matter which way you look at it, that's response and recognition - from a named source on the Community Team. That's a positive development. We can hope for this trend to continue.

Exactly.. its more than we had yesterday (and months prior) and we have been acknowledged by someone who has been actively making inquiries regarding new content which is encouraging, perhaps having someone poke the devs may get things rolling.. though we probably shouldn't get ahead of ourselves..

But rejoice! A victory at last.. albeit a small one

No matter which way you look at it, that's response and recognition - from a named source on the Community Team. That's a positive development. We can hope for this trend to continue.

Yes, it is. And while terms are guarded, there are strong indications that this content is very much still on the way. That's positive news, too. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

A nicely worded non-reply is still a non-reply. The tone of it was nice though, which is something.

On a totally different issue, I have to ask this (the comments about this were kind of blowing my mind); How exactly do the people who were talking about the cost of bringing in the voice actors for SGR being an issue think they can add anything to the game? The whole game is fully voiced! The couldn't add ANY content to the game if they didn't have the voice actors on contract. :confused:

A nicely worded non-reply is still a non-reply. The tone of it was nice though, which is something.

It wasn't a non-reply. It was a reply to confirm that they don't have any more information from the developers yet. There's a difference between the two - it wasn't evasive and it wasn't empty of information, it just wasn't the information we wanted to hear. The information that was there was very heartening - the Community Team are still there, they have noticed our growing discontent (they'd be awfully hard-pressed not to) and they'll pass along information when (or if) they get it.

If their wellspring of information (ie. the developers) has run dry then it's logical they can't give us full buckets of tasty, tasty information-water.

Of course this doesn't mean we can afford to get complacent. The developers need to know how much this is impacting on those waiting for it.

On a totally different issue, I have to ask this (the comments about this were kind of blowing my mind); How exactly do the people who were talking about the cost of bringing in the voice actors for SGR being an issue think they can add anything to the game? The whole game is fully voiced! The couldn't add ANY content to the game if they didn't have the voice actors on contract. :confused:

One presumes BW:A has thought of this but the theory seems to be that they underestimated the ongoing costs of a fully-voiced game, overestimated their capacity to retain their audience (and thus income), or both.

It is nice to finally be acknowledged, though the cynic in me can't help but wonder what took so long to give us the same "we'll tell you when we can" feedback that we've seen for so many other things in this game. All the same, it's better than hearing the feature has been dropped.

However:

Of course this doesn't mean we can afford to get complacent. The developers need to know how much this is impacting on those waiting for it.
Very true, which is why I'll be making it very clear that the lack of word on SGRs is a major factor in me deciding to quit the game. I've grown very displeased with how BioWare is handling things here, and learning about statted gear being in the cash shop and the possibility of having to pay extra for Makeb despite being told story content would be free was the last straw for me.

Normally I wouldn't make any kind of deal about quitting; I'd just quietly unsubscribe and go my own way. But I've been around through six incarnations of this thread, so I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye. I hope that the rest of y'all will continue fighting the good fight. When SGRs eventually make it into the game, I might log on again, but we'll see.

Good luck, everyone. May the Force be with you.

I've grown very displeased with how BioWare is handling things here, and learning about statted gear being in the cash shop and the possibility of having to pay extra for Makeb despite being told story content would be free was the last straw for me.

It's sad to see you go, Moose. You're one of the best people these threads ever saw.

Regarding statted gear... Depending on how it's done I wouldn't be overly concerned about that yet. LotRO has some items that assist with things like enhanced speed, enhanced profession levelling, accelerated deed stuff (ie. if you have a deed - achievement - to kill 50 orcs in the Lonelands you can buy a powerup that will temporarily drop the number you need to kill) and so on.

Now... those boosts are all temporary, and the only way you can get them is through the shop. As those Deeds often result in equippable traits that can permanently enhance your character it could be said that LotRO has taken a path that would impact on the game more than a set of armour or a weapon you're going to outgrow in five levels. But the system works and nobody's particularly disadvantaged for it (I, personally, have never bought one of those powerups).

All of this depends on how SWTOR manages its store, of course, but my point is this isn't the end of the world and we just can't tell how it might - or might completely fail to - impact on the game.

I don't think it's a matter of F2P, or a matter of statted gear for sale. I think it's a matter of confidence, and the SWTOR team has managed to damage a lot of the playerbase's confidence that they can make sensible decisions about this kind of thing right out of the box.

Me, I'm going to wait and see. And I hope that, in the fullness of time, we see you again, Moose.

It wasn't a non-reply. It was a reply to confirm that they don't have any more information from the developers yet. There's a difference between the two - it wasn't evasive and it wasn't empty of information, it just wasn't the information we wanted to hear. The information that was there was very heartening - the Community Team are still there, they have noticed our growing discontent (they'd be awfully hard-pressed not to) and they'll pass along information when (or if) they get it.

If their wellspring of information (ie. the developers) has run dry then it's logical they can't give us full buckets of tasty, tasty information-water.

This is kind of an odd side note, but it'll make sense in a second. About this time last year I was job hunting. One day, while I was hitting up the TOR site, I decided to see if EA had any openings I was qualified for. I was surprised to find the only thing for which I did qualify. They were looking for someone with as A B.A. in Communication or related field (preferably a Masters), At least two (preferably four) years working experience in Public Relations with a focus on New Media, and "a positive attitude when dealing with the community". The job in question was as a Jr. Community Relations Manager with BW:A making 35k a year working the night shift. I didn't actually apply (I like the idea of working for BW, but that would have been a serious hit in salary compared to what I was making as a consultant), but I found it interesting all the same.

The community relations people are highly trained PR types. The developers are people who actually make games. Take a guess at which group dictates company policy on public statements. I somehow don't think the Dev guys are locked up like monks away from all worldly contact. They work (mostly) in the same office. They weren't saying "we don't know anything." They were saying "we don't have any new information we are prepared to release to the general public at this time."

Edited by losdia

Well ya, but it doesnt necessarily mean they wont release the information cuz we wont like it, it could mean there not saying anything cuz others wont like it.

True 'dat. I think it is more an issue of timing than anything about BW having changed their policy on it.

Normally I wouldn't make any kind of deal about quitting; I'd just quietly unsubscribe and go my own way. But I've been around through six incarnations of this thread, so I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye. I hope that the rest of y'all will continue fighting the good fight. When SGRs eventually make it into the game, I might log on again, but we'll see.

Good luck, everyone. May the Force be with you.

Aw, Moose, I hope you have a good break and do come back fresh, and find more to entertain you here. You'll be missed. But do what you need to do, and take care of yourself.

As far as the lack of substantive news, in all truth that is just what I expect until they are close to ready to roll this out. They pretty much said at the Guild Summit that we'd not hear much if anything more for a good long while. If things have been substantially changed from that last big info-drop, then I hope we would be informed.

True 'dat. I think it is more an issue of timing than anything about BW having changed their policy on it.

Ya, i'm tryin be optimistic, theyve made alot of really cool games, also to my knowedge they dont have an exact date for free to play. I cant help but feel a bit of hope itl b a package deal where sgrs come right along with, n its like take it or leave it. If they did that they'd show us all theyre still cool, n still got a rep for following through, I hope they do.

Edited by Beans_of_steel