Feedback request from James Ohlen - Open World PvP

StephenReid

What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?  

2,196 members have voted

1. 1. What type of Open World PvP objectives would you most like to see?

• 'Raw' Open World
    • PvPvE balanced
    • Faction population capped
    • Guild based (non-faction specific)

Huttball is the only competitive WZ there is right now. Voidstar and CW are always blowouts one way or the other...

Not entirely true. I've had 2 cw's lately end close, 15-0, and 35-0. Really depends how quickly the losing team gives up. Seems on my server, most fight to the end.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st of all, WZs are not open world pvp (as we discuss this matter in this thread).

Ilum is open world pvp (as pvp zones in various planets are).

I have played almost all the famous mmos the last 12 years, all in official servers.

In my opinion, from all those games, the one that had the best open world pvp system, (even though this game sunk at the end of the day) was Aion.

Why?

Because it gave players a cause to team up and fight for (call that a fortress, infiltrate, whatever).

Gamers like massive pvp. But when Frames-per-Second (FPS) drops down to 2-5, none wants to participate. To solve this problem, in Aion you had the option to hide character sprites and see only the names of players (aside the group members).

Gamers like to win (attackers or defenders). So give them the tools to achieve that. Ex. In Ilum we had 4 turrets as defenders, from which 2 didn’t work.

Gamers like rewards for their efforts. Give them something unique as a reward for participating in open world pvp.

Pages could be written about open world pvp. I’d like to close this post by saying that SWTOR must not be an arena-based pvp game. Soon enough people will get bored from the same story every day, and will leave.

'Raw' Open World 500

PvPvE balanced 1,021

*** people would rather have PvPve Balanced over 'Raw' Open World?

Looks like this is not my game... already unsubbed.

I read the "raw open world" as what Ilum was basically... i.e. effectively worthless with any population imbalance. No real capturables, no keeps, no npc's or scaling etc. to help when imbalance was there, etc. On the other hand, I read the "PvPvE balanced" to mean more like DAOC and WAR "realm vs. realm" combat, which is awesome stuff. So, yeah, I'm not surprised most voted for that option.

Maybe it's already been said, but the Dark Age of Camelot model was extremely fun. You had a set number of Forts, whoever held the most at that time had access to extra content (i.e. an extra FP or Op or both!) with more epic drops, rare crafting materials that could only be gotten through that instance, you also got a slight buff to your factions xp gain and money gain per kill even in PvE, I believe it was 2% or so?

The forts had defenses, you had to break through them to get inside, then there were NPC objectives that you had to 'kill' to gain control of the fort, it's been awhile, but I believe that the NPC difficulty scaled based off of participation/population. It was incredibly fun and challenging, and when your faction gained control of the enough forts, it was a true sense of accomplishment, not just for you, but for your entire faction.

Make PvP about more than killing the other player. Been there, done that, it gets old pretty fast and FPS's do it better anyway. Give us objectives, and make those objectives worth something, not just for PvP, but for your entire faction.

and as for balancing the imbalance, PvPvE would work well with that type of model.

Just my 0.02c :)

Another random thought not included in my original post:

Remove the close respawn points. If you die in PvP, it should be costly in the open world. A player that "gets caught" in a disadvantaged situation should pay the price by having to journey back to where he wants to continue questing. Shuttles, speeders, portals -- all that stuff ruins the fun of killing someone, because in 5 seconds they are able to be back in the fight. FPS games are for quick respawn PvP. To some extent the Warzones are too quick-spawn for my taste too. MMO's require the player to take the time to build his character, so he should have to live with the bonuses and consequences of his build, and what he chooses to do with it.

Edited by olagaton

Bring DaoC RvR area to Ilum and you will make happy 99% of pvp community.

Thank you

Eh, more like 85%, but still a majority. Look at my post at the bottom of page 36 for all the posts I quoted in this thread alone of people not wanting DAoC PvP.

Edited by JeramieCrowe

I know the poll is closed but I'll add my thoughts too.

I'd vote for the PvPvE but with more open areas between objectives where true open world faction v faction can happen on occasion :D But I like having NPC help or NPC hinderence to balance the fights although they don't have to completely balance as these things tend to swing one way then the other.

I will say that this is a feature that I really want to see in TOR, it was one of the main reasons I started playing and the current state of it is poor. You have some wonderful worlds which would be great to fight on but we stuck on some frozen rock with a couple of armoured vehicles...where are the buildings and npcs...

So 70% PvPvE 30% pure.

Guild based.

There should all'so be official weekly guild wars.

Than rep and imp best guild finale.

Whoever wins gets it's own fleet style ship(where repairs are free and some other bonusnes like buffs would be nice) with arena in and some special flashpoint style boss who drops something(mount for example).

And make it so we can have official guild alliances.

Edited by HyperPwnage

When i think of open world pvp i think back to the days of 100 man raids on UC

or grieving a level 30 in Strangle thorn vale that would eventually start a war that lasted for hours there are to many ppl crying for balance so you develop a nice padded cage so we can "grind" for honor points this isn't pvp

stop trying to "balance" classes put more ppl in the servers do away with war zones

that is waht i would like to see but that's never going to happen

my time would be spent better on Saints row the third now that would be an mmo

To OP and James:

None of the four options is open world PvP.

I'd like to call it "open world warzone".

What is open world PvP?

In the good old days open world PvP is blackrock mountain, Plaguelands and Tarren Mill vs Southshore. None of them have any objectives.

Open world PvP should be a side kick on PvP servers for people who are questing, gathering and etc, to fight.

A good start would in fact be the new black hole daily zone.

That is a place where people gather together and fight. The zone's daily reward is good enough for the time being for people to gather there, and the zone is small enough for the two factions to cross paths.

My further suggestion would be adding a new flashpoint entrance to the center of black hole zone where two factions are guaranteed to cross paths, if they are going to the fp at the same time. That's what made blackrock mountain the best PvP spot ever in vanilla wow.

It would be nice to add some side rewards, such as maybe 2-3 merc comms per kill with diminishing return to prevent farming each other.

In previous planets different factions just never cross each other, either due to map being too huge or different factions quest in completely different zones.

Of course, I do want to see guild vs guild, such as siege mode or capitol ship attack/defense, but that is another matter. It's another form of PvP. If done well it's a good. However, it has nothing to do with being open world or not. The only difference, I imagine, would be how to get there.

Edited by Sraom

Today , 06:50 AM

Bring DaoC RvR area to Ilum and you will make happy 99% of pvp community.

Thank you

Quote on this at 100%

Also if the planet is not Ilum ..... better a green planet :)

Edited by Albertjedi

I was too late to vote in this poll, however my feelings in regards to open world PvP are that the problems are more with server population than actual problems with world PvP itself. I believe, if possible, to reward people with similar rewards that you obtain from WZs that you would find people would PvP anywhere and everywhere. I hate to bring up SWG as a comparison, and trust me, I like this game very much compared to it, but, before they created the Rori warzone situation, they had true open world pvp in the sense that if there were opposing factions anywhere they would fight. And the fact that they all used the same space port and common area's made those fights more common. I understand that maybe would disrupt certain things and I think it's ok to have designated safe zones and opposite space ports for each faction. Still server population, and lack of incentive for open world pvp is why it's currently a major issue. Don't make ONE planet the preferred open world pvp zone. Perhaps make Illum have something object based PvP that other planets don't, but still reward others for just plain old open world, random pvp in the designated areas.

Picture this.... Illum but not as you know it.

Each side has a base, dailys and normal quests like any other town HOWEVER the entire world if based on pvp.

Not all objectives need be directly based on winning the whole war. Have some normal every day quests etc... npcs bolster quests, normaly daily quests etc ..

Now picture its a normal stop on the tour of your questing BUT one side has claimed several towns that have quests... SO you must start from town A, bolster troops, rally support from yer guild and move forward to capture the next town..

You can have mini quests to bolster troops from norm 50s to champ 50s etc... Sorta like alterac valley ONLY the entire zone is pvp.. Meaning that if one NPC gives you a quest, you can be dam sure the other sides NPC is giving them a quest in that same area....

I have a 50 Jugg, and a 40 Powertech. I have only been involved in 2 pvp encounters while questing the whole time lvling. Both times it was high lvls in groups just ganking. i LOVE the game overall but I have been disapointed in the lack of PVP during questing. Otherwise I would have rolled on a PVE server for the larger pop. I think it is easy at this point to put in place a Objective based PVP system in the world it's been done in many games. I dont think coping a game is good but WOW's system worked if less ppl from opposing faction where there you received a buff on health and damage. I read Peoples ideas and listen in my guild and I think people just want balanced open world pvp, but come on it can't work it hasn't ever worked.

I would love to see PVP, PVE bosses that only are open to your faction when they have control of the zone. yes you would have to limit numbers or bolster the other factions stats thru buffs, or the like. I also think a faction wide buff after a win ( like 10% more Valor gained after the win) would encourage support. I love what you all are doing with the game, minus the TTK going down so bad after patch 1.2 its still fun but too zerg fest, but lets put some reason to pvp while leveling or just tell people that buy the game there are only PVE servers. They all feel like PVE servers now. keep up the good work. Best vanilla copy as of yet for MMO's.

Captureable bases on multiple sandbox planets. a few sandbox planets for lvl 50 players who are done progressing, for erecting player housing, social hubs etc.

right now, once you hit 50 your game entails sitting in fleet and playing wz minigames. or doing operations if you have 8 people.

Developers need to realize that the themepark style game has no lasting appeal. once you finish the story there is no reason to go anywhere but the fleet.

study SWG. i played that game for years and never felt bored at all.

mmos should have freedom involved. hand holding to 50 is ok for casuals, but than what? once the story is over its over.

BW wants world pvp feedback or ideas?!?!?! they are joking right?!?

they have ruined WZ pvp by nerfing healers and tanks to the toilet and they arr thinking abt world PVP?!?!

plz BW, u stink at making pvp fun in a WZ, how the **** will u possibly make open world pvp any better,

its really not that hard, 1.1 had great class balance, just give us a fun or interesting incentive for world pvp, hint: look at GW2 for an idea

what a bunch of idiots

Don't even bother Bioware. Whatever you choose to do, we all know it is going to fail.

That's right. And it's because PvPers can't even agree on what the hell they want. So, whatever you do BioWare, it will fail. This goes for any developer. There's already QQ on GW2 forums about the PvP there, too, and the game's not even out yet.

Edited by JeramieCrowe