Why is Republic gameplay so boring?

--Grim--

Dark side jedi consular.

Shes a bit of a jerk. Sarcastic, mean, sacrifices individual lives purely for the sake of a POTENTIAL tactical advantage over the empire.

She even let all her jedi masters die at the hands of vivicar because if she saved them she would have had over 1000 LS points and not been able to use her red crystal anymore (shes sitting at 850 currently and walking a fine line).

So er yeah... some of the story and morality does in fact come from the player.

Edited by ippollite

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm telling you its all about the time period this game is set in. Jedi are free to run around openly. There was no Order 66 yet. If this game were set in the timeframe that the movies were set in it'd be a lot better. The Old Republic timeframe is just boring, period.

Think about it. I'm sure storylines would be more interesting if there was a bounty on every Jedi's head.

How many survived?

Just because you think it's boring doesn't mean everyone else does. Why do people always talk about their opinions on here like they are facts? Maybe you just prefer the Imps and have a bias towards them so you find their stories more interesting.

It's an amazing lack of understanding.

I guess we should ask them for the state approved MMO list when we get the approved reading and tv watching list.

Big brother is watching, dissenting opinions will be subject to realignment.

Played a Jedi Knight up to lvl 26 in the beta and LOVED the story, in retail my Sith Warrior is 50 and I loved that story too, just made a Jedi to continue that story but I dunno, I kinda like the republic side of things, I never thought the Jedi Knight story was boring, I mean it took a little while to get going but once you get to Nar Shaddaa it picks up.

• 3 weeks later...
Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..

I disagree, I like the Republic and the Jedi are very well represented in this game, you just don't like Jedi. The voices are awesome especially consular.

"I have had enough of humans..this is Star Wars."

And all *********** main characters are humans, did you ever notice that? With the exception of Master Yoda there's no especially important character that's an alien minus Chewbacca and the droids.

Edited by Lightmaguz

As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies... :D

People who do the right thing and even see beyond base urges are stuck up and boring? Well, speak for yourself.

I havent gone far enough through the Jedi Story but Jedi answers were always going to be cheesy, I accepted that when I rolled one (Although he is an alt, I played Sith Warrior through first XD)

Nearly every Jedi depicted in the movies were cheesy, with the exception of perhaps two.

Qui gon and obiwan

Obiwan, had a cheesy humor at times, but his story was the greatest of all. He suffered more loss than any other character, and surivived it all

IMO they should have (if they havent already) moulded the Jedi Knight character on Obiwan

I will find out as I go.

Edited by Kalliadies

I havent gone far enough through the Jedi Story but Jedi answers were always going to be cheesy, I accepted that when I rolled one (Although he is an alt, I played Sith Warrior through first XD)

Nearly every Jedi depicted in the movies were cheesy, with the exception of perhaps two.

Qui gon and obiwan

Obiwan, had a cheesy humor at times, but his story was the greatest of all. He suffered more loss than any other character, and surivived it all

IMO they should have (if they havent already) moulded the Jedi Knight character on Obiwan

I will find out as I go.

It's kind of a mix between Obi-wan and Anakin's stories, with a bioware spice on it mostly. Stupidly falling to your dark urges is entirely optional, there are some very well and logical dark side choices too, I wasn't good all the time(because I wasn't min/maxing and high level items won't have light or dark restrictions anyway so it's pointless.) and ended up my storyline at the start of light III.

Alignment spoiler from alderaan Jedi Knight

One particular choice that was very tough was either giving myself up in the middle of a heated battle between the Organas(reps) and another house(I think Thul the empire supported one) in exchange for 300 prisioners or killing their leader and winning the battle. I believe the choice I made of killing the leader(hoping there was still a way to save the prisioners.) would impact heavily on my Jedi and it's things like those that make it not boring. I realized later on there was probably a way to still win and am not certain if the price was worth it(not to mention the 150 dark side points.). I found myself eventually quite attached to my Guardian, I'm sorry other people would rather execute everyone. I'm playing Warrior and the story's pretty good too, Baras is well written even though he's fat and a traitorous ******e.

As far as I can tell, they designed everyone to be awesome, except Jedi... They designed them to be stuck up and boring.... So, they're accurately portrayed based on the movies... :D

I think they tried to emulate the personality types that would play Jedi. The kind of "over civility" you experience in mature threads with words like agreed, indeed, concur, quite, sir or phrases such as well played and so on.

Basically I feel the jedi storytelling tried to cozy up the the psychology of a mature civil gaming audience which in real life is great but makes boring fantasy.

Edited by mandrillagon

personally i think both the Jedi Samuri and the Sith Transformer endgame armors are terrible.

I know i will be extracting the mods and placing them in custom armor, regardless of side.

The Jedi sentinel lvl 40 PvP armor is amazing though. love it.

Edited by Kalliadies

• 2 months later...

:eek:

Honest question.

Trooper / Smuggler are ok. The Jedi storylines are snoozefests. And the voice acting sucks. The gear is ugly and.. well you get the idea. Pretty much everyone agrees.

I love playing my Imperial toons. Everything about them is just more fun.

So why is that so? Do the Devs really hate the Republic / Light side that much? Or perhaps they just phoned in their Republic work because they had the flu that day... there must be some reason the Devs failed so badly in making it fun to play Republic.

Thats nothing, in the flashpoint the Esseles, the republic can no longer use mounts in that ship or the imp ship you bored in the flashpoint since the update, but get this, The imperials twin of that flashpoint, called the Black talon, imps can use speeders in that flashpoint still, but no longer in the repub sides version of the flashpoint? thats kinda favortism... how is it fair in the imp verson of the essesles they can use speeders still, but not the republic... ouch

Anyone have the scuttlebutt and inside infoz? I would really like to know why the Devs favored the Imps..