Thrash/Shock PvP Theorycraft Build

Kougi

Haven't tried this spec yet due to my insanely high respec costs (99880 creds) but if anyone wants to try it out or discuss, feel free and post up your findings. Currently I'm using 2/31/8 but the lack of survivability in 50 WZs are really hurting. Full Champion/Valor 48.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200McMskZhRrMZf0cRr0z.1

The spec is based on using Thrash to get the Energized procs which will guarantee a 100% crit. The crit will cause Exploitive Strikes to proc and increase your chances of getting a Raze proc.

Feedback and suggestions are welcome.

Edit: Oh, you will be using Dark Charge and a shield offhand with DPS Gear.

Edited by Kougi

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather just see a few streams with you playing that, or get some feedback once you tried it for a while. On paper it could work with 4/4 dps (power/surge) modd'ed survivor gear. Edited by upzie

Once my respec cost goes down I will test it out, but I think with Stalker gear it would be more efficient due to the increased crit chance.

I doubt it, remember the 4set bonus from survivor gear is 5% more dmg, and looking @ your build it seems that you'll be running around with Darkcharge up.

Wich is also why I suggest that you should remod survivor gear with mods that gives you the stats you want/need.

I get the whole max crit for raze proccs, but with the amount of shocks you'll be doing, that are going to be 100% crits, power and surge will proberly be your best stats outside wp ofc.

Yes, but the 2 set bonus (-10s CD on Spike) isn't really helpful without the Eye of the Storm talent. The 4 piece does negate the -5% damage, but the tradeoff isn't nearly as good as an extra charge of Recklessness. (4 set Stalker bonus)

You do bring up a good point that Surge actually would probably be a higher priority stat than crit due to the Energize talent. I will try that out too. :)

Yes, but the 2 set bonus (-10s CD on Spike) isn't really helpful without the Eye of the Storm talent. The 4 piece does negate the -5% damage, but the tradeoff isn't nearly as good as an extra charge of Recklessness. (4 set Stalker bonus)

You do bring up a good point that Surge actually would probably be a higher priority stat than crit due to the Energize talent. I will try that out too. :)

There is no 5% loss in damage please for the love of god read your skills. It is a 5% less BONUS DAMAGE. do you know how much damage i lose in Champ + Battlemaster gear on my attacks (not force attacks just thrash and stuff like that)? I lose 16. THAT IS NOTHING!!!

Sorry I just get really mad that assassins do not have the info they think they have. This build wont work if the patch fixes the induction talent. It would mean you have to be in surging charge to get the shock cost reduction.

If you want to play a better version of this build just do 23/0/18. My fave build is 31/0/10

Edited by Trayes

There is no 5% loss in damage please for the love of god read your skills. It is a 5% less BONUS DAMAGE. do you know how much damage i lose in Champ + Battlemaster gear on my attacks (not force attacks just thrash and stuff like that)? I lose 16. THAT IS NOTHING!!!

Sorry I just get really mad that assassins do not have the info they think they have. This build wont work if the patch fixes the induction talent. It would mean you have to be in surging charge to get the shock cost reduction.

If you want to play a better version of this build just do 23/0/18. My fave build is 31/0/10

Good point, but as the topic thread states it's all theorycrafting. I have yet to actually try it out.

5% more damage while guarding or 1 extra recklessness charge?

I can see why the 5% would be more appealing for more sustained damage, but the extra charge means an additional chance to deal +50% crit damage on shock.

By all means, feel free to test it out if you want.

Actually, the 5% bonus penalty applies only to MELEE attacks. If you go to your Force attack stats, you'll notice there is no penalty there, so the 5% penalty is a lot smaller than it appears since an overwhelming majority of our good attacks are Force attacks, not melee. In fact, Thrash is the only one that's truly affected, and Thrash is something you use to build other attacks, not something you expect to do significant damage. Assassinate is affected too, but very few guys will survive an Assassinate even when it's doing 5% less damage.

Good point, but as the topic thread states it's all theorycrafting. I have yet to actually try it out.

I can see why the 5% would be more appealing for more sustained damage, but the extra charge means an additional chance to deal +50% crit damage on shock.

So I play 31/0/10 and if you want to see scary burst you should try that build with Survivor gear and DPS mods/enhancments. Get 3 stacks of harnessed darkness (75% force lightning damage) Pop recklessness + Power relic + Power Add while you have an energize proc up. That will deal about 11k damage and I am not kidding. 1900-2k damage a tick on Force lightning as well as 3000-4000 damage on shock. Force Lightning > Shock with all of that up is scary. You will also heal yourself for about 12% of your HP.

It's not the set bonus that matters here. 5% more damage while Guard is probably better than an extra charge of Recklessness. However Survivor gear has no secondary offensive stats, and its secondary defensive stats are virtually useless in PvP. You give up way too much crit/surge/power to wear 4 piece of Survivor, and the secondary defensive stats you gain is basically useless.

Actually, the 5% bonus penalty applies only to MELEE attacks. If you go to your Force attack stats, you'll notice there is no penalty there, so the 5% penalty is a lot smaller than it appears since an overwhelming majority of our good attacks are Force attacks, not melee. In fact, Thrash is the only one that's truly affected, and Thrash is something you use to build other attacks, not something you expect to do significant damage. Assassinate is affected too, but very few guys will survive an Assassinate even when it's doing 5% less damage.

I said that. I said this does not include force attacks...

It's not the set bonus that matters here. 5% more damage while Guard is probably better than an extra charge of Recklessness. However Survivor gear has no secondary offensive stats, and its secondary defensive stats are virtually useless in PvP. You give up way too much crit/surge/power to wear 4 piece of Survivor, and the secondary defensive stats you gain is basically useless.

I do agree with this, which is why I would suggest using Stalker gear. Of course, you can experiment with Survivors, but in THEORY a tanking set would do less damage/burst than a DPS set.

Hope someone has the chance to test this out! >.< Guess I'll just have to farm credits to pay for the respec.

So I play 31/0/10 and if you want to see scary burst you should try that build with Survivor gear and DPS mods/enhancments. Get 3 stacks of harnessed darkness (75% force lightning damage) Pop recklessness + Power relic + Power Add while you have an energize proc up. That will deal about 11k damage and I am not kidding. 1900-2k damage a tick on Force lightning as well as 3000-4000 damage on shock. Force Lightning > Shock with all of that up is scary. You will also heal yourself for about 12% of your HP.

Assuming I built the 3 HD on the same target, most of the time they wouldn't have enough life left to take a full Force Lightning. I find that it's actually better to stagger your clicks because you often end up massively overkilling an enemy and waste a good deal of your burst DPS, but of course overkill can be fun in itself.

I do agree with this, which is why I would suggest using Stalker gear. Of course, you can experiment with Survivors, but in THEORY a tanking set would do less damage/burst than a DPS set.

Hope someone has the chance to test this out! >.< Guess I'll just have to farm credits to pay for the respec.

You can estimate 5% crit as 5% DPS (kind of overvalue crit, but not incredibly so). You lose a lot more than 5% crit for switching 4 pieces of Stalker to Survivor. 565 Power is 20% tooltip DPS, so 141 Power = 5% of your DPS, and you can certainly lose that much power from 4 pieces of Stalker. You also lose willpower too (Stalker has more willlpower than Survivor). Your damage would be strictly worse, which would be okay if you make that up with survivality, but you won't because shield/defense pretty much doesn't work in PvP. Yes you get more HPs too, but that's actually bad because if someone sees you have 20K HP, they know you're not wearing DPS gear so you can't even function as a decoy, because they'll just ignore you. I guess that's technically more survivality but it's not in a good way. You don't want increased survivality because you're no threat to anyone.

Edited by Astarica

You've clearly stolen this build from me. I posted about it in Trayes pvp build thread and it's proper name is of course Khaaz's PvP Build.

You really misplaced a few abilities though. Why would you not max Obfuscation and why would you put points in Electric Execution??

Here's the proper build: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMozZhGbMzZf0cRr0z.1

It is a really great build. I'd also recommend using a focus item rather than a shield generator considering how weak shields are in this game, and how dependent your shock damage is on your force power.

This man is correct.

There are only so many points to put into the tree....yes I deliberately "stole" this build from you. While the same basic idea is there, the filler points you chose I believe are going more for survivability.

The reason I didn't put the last point into Darkswell and max out Obfuscation is because you won't be spending the majority of your time in stealth. Since the stealth opener for Assassins is a little weak right now, it's best to just pop stealth for the Dark Embrace regen and then start spamming Thrash to build up for Shocks.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMozZhRrMzZf0cRr0z.1

has better force regen, lightning reflexes gives deflection a nice force boost as well, when you are being attacked.

dark charges dmg proc is not that great to add 9% to.

its a good build, my fav of the hybrids.

I do like the Lightning Reflex....I may try this out but put the Dark Swell into Dark Ward instead.

It looks like Dark Ward would help the force regen of Lightning Reflexes if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Kougi

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMozZhRrMzZf0cRr0z.1

has better force regen, lightning reflexes gives deflection a nice force boost as well, when you are being attacked.

dark charges dmg proc is not that great to add 9% to.

its a good build, my fav of the hybrids.

I think you linked the OP's spec.

But i'm guessing this is your spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMokMcZhRrMzZf0cM.1

It's not worth losing the thrash crit dmg, death field, and raze, all just to get 30% more force regen.

The Thrash crit dmg specifically is just silly good and super underrated considering it's the skill we use the most. Raze is a little overrated imo but it's still pretty nice, and Death Field is awesome.

There are only so many points to put into the tree....yes I deliberately "stole" this build from you. While the same basic idea is there, the filler points you chose I believe are going more for survivability.

The reason I didn't put the last point into Darkswell and max out Obfuscation is because you won't be spending the majority of your time in stealth. Since the stealth opener for Assassins is a little weak right now, it's best to just pop stealth for the Dark Embrace regen and then start spamming Thrash to build up for Shocks.

The +movespeed% works out of stealth. +15% movespeed is a must have.

I'm not going for survivability. I'm just putting points into the best talents available, and electric execution does nothing for dark charge.

I think you linked the OP's spec.

But i'm guessing this is your spec: http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#200rsMokMcZhRrMzZf0cM.1

It's not worth losing the thrash crit dmg, death field, and raze, all just to get 30% more force regen.

The Thrash crit dmg specifically is just silly good and super underrated considering it's the skill we use the most. Raze is a little overrated imo but it's still pretty nice, and Death Field is awesome.

no i posted the correct one.

and this is from the shadow forums a while back

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=220727

The +movespeed% works out of stealth. +15% movespeed is a must have.

I'm not going for survivability. I'm just putting points into the best talents available, and electric execution does nothing for dark charge.

You make a good point on the damage of Electric Execution. Eh, I guess it depends on whether you are having trouble keeping on your target in combat.

Edit: Movement speed is does not stack with sprint.

Edited by Kougi

no i posted the correct one.

and this is from the shadow forums a while back

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=220727

Oh, by more force regen you meant the negligible amount of force you get from lightning reflexes. That's almost like the build i linked except you too passed up the +movespeed from obfuscation.

About Darkswell, it's gotten so that your force cloak doesn't make you immune to healing. Since shields are pretty useless in pvp, it's a better place to put your last point than dark ward. It's really a talent for group pvp, so that you can force cloak when you get low and your healer can you heal you back up to full. Otherwise healers will try to heal you and just see zeros pop up, and they'll move on and start healing other people leaving you stuck at 1% hp.