Class Representatives Are Here!

EricMusco

Just one thing I'm still curious about: does each mirror AC get one or two representatives. To clarify, will Juggernaut and Guardian share the same representative, or will they each have their own? If its the latter one, then maybe one of the factions could propose PVE questions and the other PVP so each part of the game is represented.

Either way, I look forward to seeing how this goes!

If both specialized in PVP specs only that would create problems for the PVE side of things and the class would be misrepresented.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoken like a true minority interest. :)

It's more basic then even you are stating. ALL gameplay options are equally important. And history has shown in MMOs that PvPers don't care about PvE interests. To some degree the reverse is also true..but to nowhere near the extreme. But the reality is that good representatives for the classes will be people with a balanced view of PvE and PvP.. NOT the hardcore in either camp.

Like in politics.. so many things in the world run better under "centrist" principles.

To some degree? :confused:

The history is true on both sides. I've met tons of PvE players who HATE participating in PvP interests and refuse to do so. They both have extremes.

Spoken with true ignorance.

:rolleyes:

Edited by MrJurgens

Any feedback, suggestions, comments, concerns about this new program you can feel free to post in this thread. Otherwise, feel free to head over to your Advanced Class subforum and get to nominating! As we get closer to voting, we will post a schedule on when each Class will be asked to post their top 3. Thanks!

-The Community Team

Quick questions. Would there be class balance chance coming in 2.4? If so, would the some of the issues raised in this program make it to 2.4? Or should we expect them to be addressed further down the line in a later patch?

Further, when class balance changes make it to the PTS, would it be possible to archive or transfer posts about class changes to the class forums instead of simply wiping them each time? Something like a class changes sub-forum archive might be helpful.

This is something we definitely talked about as a part of this program. For now our goal is to launch the Class Representatives and see how it goes. If it is well received on both sides and people like the dialog it creates. If it works, we will talk about expanding it, like you suggested above.

As you can see from this very thread some folks are hesitant about the concept. We too want to see how it goes before we roll it out too broadly!

If I could make 1 suggestion.

Don't have seperate reps for mirror classes. instead have a rep for each skill tree. i.e for Shadow/Sin have a Tanking rep and a dps rep.

for Merc have a DPS rep and a healing rep etc...

This would make way more sense then Shadow and Sin reps.

This is a terrible idea.

I am speaking from experience, having been both the Star Wars: Galaxies Medic and Doctor forum correspondent for well over a year when that program was running.

In short, all this does is make it appear that developers are communicating to players, when in fact they are doing no such thing. To cite an example, I spoke to a developer once in my time as correspondent. Twice if you count Gordon Walton, who wasn't a developer, but more of a [censored].

The only time I got to talk to a developer was after the game closed down, where I spoke to Dan Rubenfield about his role in the NGE debacle.

You all know we don't get enough feedback from devs about our questions, creating representatives does nothing to increase that communication. They already know about our questions as stated in the intial post and could easily answer them (and to be fair, sometimes do) if they really wanted.

This is a terrible idea.

I am speaking from experience, having been both the Star Wars: Galaxies Medic and Doctor forum correspondent for well over a year when that program was running.

In short, all this does is make it appear that developers are communicating to players, when in fact they are doing no such thing. To cite an example, I spoke to a developer once in my time as correspondent. Twice if you count Gordon Walton, who wasn't a developer, but more of a [censored].

The only time I got to talk to a developer was after the game closed down, where I spoke to Dan Rubenfield about his role in the NGE debacle.

You all know we don't get enough feedback from devs about our questions, creating representatives does nothing to increase that communication. They already know about our questions as stated in the intial post and could easily answer them (and to be fair, sometimes do) if they really wanted.

I like the idea of this program but realistically it remains to be seen if it yields any tangible benefits beyond a brief PR boost and giving forum goers as sense of involvement.

This is a horrible idea. Class representatives just end up being popularity contests for Forum Warriors. This has been a disaster in most every other game that implemented them. You end up with people focused on the 1 thing they care about most, like PvP or PvE and they are detrimental to the class balance for years. EQ's Ranger representative didn't even participate in raiding. He complained about how hard it was to survive as a low level Ranger. As a result, they buffed Rangers at lower levels and end game Rangers fell behind in DPS output compared to other DPS classes. He also played his Ranger as an archer and not a melee, which was the better method.

Same thing will happen here. Class representatives will only focus on a particular tree or play style like PvP vs PvE. Either split the representatives based on play styles, or elect a group per class.

I like the idea of this program but realistically it remains to be seen if it yields any tangible benefits beyond a brief PR boost and giving forum goers as sense of involvement.

Raph Koster came up with the concept for SWG, and said pretty much exactly that as the purpose of the program, to create as another poster just said "forum warriors". It has nothing to do with improving the actual game, as I said, the devs already see our issues and know of them, and could easily respond. Heck, the likes of Eric who only make 1 or 2 posts a day, could easily be gathering such data.

I think the most important aspect is being missed by a few peeps here. This is about helping to streamline communication, and at present only starting with advanced classes, which IMO is something this game needs badly. While I understand classes tend to function somewhat differently in PvP than PvE, this is where said individual chosen for the role, will need to gather all concerns and then present it.

I'm going to assume most "class issues" will be centered on abilities, bugs, etc, and how they perform in their respective environments, so if it's important too others I'm sure it will be relayed by whomever is chosen. This can be a very invaluable tool, and one I hope the team builds on, because like everyone we all want to help make the game better and feel like our issues (no matter what we do in game) are being addessed.

Hopefully as a community we can see this flourish, as I think we all would benefit from this.

Friendly reminder bump, for those blowing things out of proportion.

Also, this isn't SWG, and it's more of a Q/A session regarding classes so please leave it at that.

I see no reason why TOR can't have at least a CHANCE at trying something like this; And FFS read how they're implementing it folks, it is NOTHING like how SWG Senators/Developers did their thing. Thank you.

Edited by Pistols

Don't know if i missed it, but what about the specific trees within the class? For example, the first round of posts for VG/PT will be all about DPS and the nerf they received in 2.0. What about PT/VG tanks and there questions? Electing a rep who knows or understands PVE, PVP and all specs within an advance class will be near impossible.

^^ this

As a diehard vanguard tank I want to see the AC excel and not relapse into 1.7 era where it was assault or don't come. Of course I newest and the dps consterns currently and find them justified. A vanguard Rep might have a similar focus or be dps focused at the expense of the tank VG community. Finding one plaer who can represent both equally will be very hard.

^^ this

As a diehard vanguard tank I want to see the AC excel and not relapse into 1.7 era where it was assault or don't come. Of course I newest and the dps consterns currently and find them justified. A vanguard Rep might have a similar focus or be dps focused at the expense of the tank VG community. Finding one plaer who can represent both equally will be very hard.

Indeed, the idea, as is being implemented is way way way too broad a brush to go anywhere near being useful.

I could tell you anything and everything about being a PT tank in PVE endgame, and if I were to make a guide, would probably 10+ pages long, but I wouldn't know the first thing about PVP or DPS on a PT, as I've never done either.

Ive been playing this game since early access.

Edited by Mowermanx

haven't read the full thread but...

I've read wishes to split between PVP&PVE has anyone brought forth the wish to split between Roles?

Tank/DD/Heal

it would be nice if a class who feels it has problems with both could make both heard...

these classes you could expect to be pissed already...

edit: just read the post above mine so it's been said that's good.

Edited by DarthSpekulatius

lol gg. this concept is so stupid. people are just going to pick all the pve idiots who pve all day and only make pve guides.

bioware already caters to all the pve kids and doesn't do anything for pvp. so for anybody go pve's, congrats, bioware is going to give you more pve improvements and pve content. pvpers will be left in the dust. gg

:)

just look at what the pve nubs nominate in the forums

this is gona be great... NOT

how about letting the leading RWZ teams balance the game? oh wait bioware doesnt care about pvp or skilled players, ppl just have to get nominated by a lot of pve noobs who got no fking idea and probably havent even played each class etc.

Hay guys,

As far as I know Anarchy Online did something similar to this called "Professionals" or something. They did a whole bunch of discussions on class balance and put together a list of changes that most people seemed to agree with. The game is pretty much dead so don't think they implemented them. :p

If I were Bioware I would look at their community forum and see how it has been turning out for them as it could be an awesome benchmark. :D

Rather amusing, I made a post about putting polls on the forums but he said the 5% of users who use the forums don't represent the entire community, and what people wants on the forums could be entirely different to what 95% of the players want.

Not everyone uses the forums, but im sure a lot more than 5% read them, but the 95% people might not want to have class representatives, they might want another person compared to what the forums want, right Eric ? Like you said?

It's interesting to see so many posting on this who haven't posted in a while or normally just lurk.

I agree with the others who've said have PVE and PVP reps. You can see in this thread and any other where the two meet a lot of players act factional about PVP and PVE, often to the point of silliness and objectivity goes out the window.

Would be easier for all if the PVP and PVE reps compared notes and devs took it from there.

Edited by Joesixxpack

just look at what the pve nubs nominate in the forums

this is gona be great... NOT

how about letting the leading RWZ teams balance the game? oh wait bioware doesnt care about pvp or skilled players, ppl just have to get nominated by a lot of pve noobs who got no fking idea and probably havent even played each class etc.

This, please don't let pve nubs fk this game over more than it already is, let the top RWZ teams have a chance to balance the game based on the games they have played during ranked, as its really in RWZ where you can clearly see the stronger/weaker classes and adjust accordingly.

^^ this

Its going to be hard to find someone like this. My guildies call me a Jackofalltrades cause I play 19 characters. If you wanted someone to tell you how well they all function compared to each other I could but because I play so many classes I wouldn't be deep in knowledge for one specific role, which it sounds like they want. Once you find someone who is that deep into a class then you begin to see a singular focus.

From my time playing I have learned that while the mirrors appear the same on paper they play out very differently which I attribute to the imperial mirrors having better synergy with their skills. While I think this format is too vague to accomplish what people want I am hoping it will be successful enough to warrant expanding to the point where it will begin to succeed.

I fully support the idea of PVE and PVP reps.

I also fully support not nominating anyone (nor members of their particular RWZ team/s) in this thread who's used the words "pve kids", "pve noobs, "pve nubs" and any variation thereon.

You (general 'you') don't make a very convincing case when you repeatedly insult what's likely the majority of the playerbase. The Class Rep forum spaces aren't shiny new venues for yet more 'L2P' rubbish...or so I hope, cross fingers...

Edited by thatghost