Why a 1.0 Player is Finally Leaving.

Kai-Del_Serromis

When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away. :rak_03:

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.

When cancelling my subscription a moment ago, I decided to put more than a simple, one word answer into the full description portion of my reasons. This post isn't meant to be whiny, nor is it meant to be a "Doomsday for SWTOR" message; I suppose this is just a roundabout way of saying I to SWTOR, "I love you, and I want to love you more, but you're making it too hard". And no, none of you can have my stuff; I already gave it all away. :rak_03:

I know this cancel subscription message is going to get lost in the masses, but I am going to put down my full reason in here just in case someone with some sort of influence actually sees this.

The reason I am leaving for FFXIV is certainly because all of my friends have moved to it, but it's also for a much larger reason. Put simply: This game is so far behind in content creation compared to other games. When MMOs like ESO and FFXIV release expansions like Elsweyr and Shadowbringers, respectively, how am I to stick with swtor when all it has released in the past year of any substance are two planets that are as small, if not smaller, than CZ?

I love swtor, I will ALWAYS love swtor; but it is now too far behind the content curve compared to other games. I desperately want to see this game's studio given the resources and manpower it needs to make this game great again, but I can't wait around bored out of my mind until that happens.

So do you want to know what the game needs more of? Crafting, Flashpoints, Live Events, Open World PVP Areas, Operations, Story Quests, and Warzones. It needs more of everything if it is to survive against game studios like Zenimax and Square who learn from their own mistakes. Farewell, and may the Force be with you.

I take your point, but you could always do what I do. I haven't touched this game since May 20th, when ESO introduced Elsweyr. Well, truth be told, I did log in once to buy a sale item on the CM. With that said, I had no problem paying U.S. $45 over the summer so that the forums may benefit from my keen insight and pathbreaking forum posts. :rak_03: <<sips martini>>

No one (well, maybe you know who on this forum) will dispute that content release is behind other games. With that said, I can't think of any MMORPG that releases content faster than players can consume it.

But you are making this post two months (or so) before they release their first major new content update in years. It's not my place to tell you what to do, but my guess is it will probably be worth U.S. $15.

Bottom line: I don't think there is a problem with taking breaks from games and coming back when there is new content.

Regardless, best wishes, May the Force be with you.

Dasty

and they still continue pvp season to 6.0. expansion...pops for team ranked are totally dead and solo ranked pops are also dying with each weeks. Sometimes on high rating you can't even get a pop for 2 hours staying in queue because everyone already got all elo they wanted or quited for wow, FF or ESO. Why this another month and a half of suffering? I want fast pops lol

There is something I don't quite understand. You say that the game is way behind on some other games in releasing content. This is true and pretty much always has been true, so I'm definitely not disputing that.

But the point that other games bring out more content is irrelevant if that content is not enjoyable or you get bored with it more quickly. So my question to you, since you didn't quite explain that, what actually is the problem for you?

I mean, you've played the game for over 7 years. That's a long time. And what is causing you to come to this point now? Is it boredom? Or just the frustration that other games get more?

Realistically SWTOR had a terrible launch. About 80% of the population left in 3-6 months, double of what MMOs usually lose in that time period. Then it almost died and was resurrected with f2p and a cartel market that ended up being one of the worst lootbox gambling set-ups MMOs have seen and that for years really. Right from the first expansion it was clear that they could not match the expansion size of other MMOs and never did.

Now both FF XIV and ESO are doing a lot better than SWTOR. Admittedly they both failed initially but the difference is that those companies really did something about it whereas EA wasn't having that and BW was sticking their heads in the sand. Now, I do agree with you that there is something about SWTOR. It keeps bringing me back.

But when it comes to content releases SWTOR was never up to par and never will be. Is this just sinking in?

All in all, I get that other games get more content, but that by itself is not a reason to quit a game if you enjoy what it does put out. So I'm just trying to understand what brought you to this decision now I guess.

I can't say I don't agree. i've been playing eso and ff14 lately while my swtor sub has lapsed. But i will be back before or during 6.0. I will always love swtor but us veterans get burnt out doing the same things over and over. Doesn't seem like the sub is worth it anymore and hasn't been for a while.

I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.

I forget where I read it, but one of the most major issues is with something BioWare hasn't come right out and stated, but apparently believe internally:

They are perfectly ok having a business model where players take a break and then come back.

I can't remember where I read it, but I remember reading that this was an official BioWare/EA mindset regarding the game.

And without outwardly stating that, it leads to a disconnect, where players don't want to take that break, but instead want content to keep them here, but the developers are ok with players leaving, counting on them to come back when major updates occur.

Can't say I agree with the BioWare business model, but if their hands are tied, not much can be done. The thing with Final Fantasy and ESO is they are run by the companies that own the product. In SWTOR's case, EA is the owner, BioWare is the producer - so BioWare doesn't have the freedom to scale up production like the other 2 entities do.

I remember that, too. I believe Eric admitted it in a gold post a while ago. Not only do they know that the game gets gobbled up by quick-to-unsub locusts, but a lot of their planning for future content is catered to those people almost directly in opposition to the people who stick around between content releases.

I remember that, too. I believe Eric admitted it in a gold post a while ago. Not only do they know that the game gets gobbled up by quick-to-unsub locusts, but a lot of their planning for future content is catered to those people almost directly in opposition to the people who stick around between content releases.

That's good to know. I too have been thinking of taking a break until the release of Onslaught. Maybe I'm just not a long term MMO player though I've already played for several months this year.

I've recently bought some collectible lightsabers and ever since I haven't had the same motivation to log in and play. So, that's been filling my Star Wars needs. Maybe I just don't like the sound/look of my main character's lightsaber. The one I'm actually swinging around seems more enticing.

Now for what I'd like implemented (rather than what is stated in the OP) is a random mission generator.

Let's say they put in a terminal on a planet. You go to this terminal, maybe pick a few options and voila the game creates an objective (perhaps in an instance) with most likely a bunch of enemies to fight and a boss type at the end. Maybe you can even pick the enemies in the mission. It could be droids, troopers, gangsters, Force-users, Mandalorians, creatures - you name it. There could also be different types of missions, maybe they're not all just murder simulators.

Infinite Star Wars content for the locusts.

Edited by Chelan

What's the obsession with "new" content? What's wrong with the current content?

When you've been playing the game non-stop from the beginning, you've played all the current content to death. Therefore something new is always appreciated.

Brother I felt this!!!, And I understand where your coming from. Some of these guys just dont understand what makes an MMO an MMO. They thought KOTET/FE story was why people left LMAO. They have no clue what other mmos offer there players versus swtor. Its so sad too because SWTOR has a star wars IP and so much can be done with it. May the force be with you and may we pray 6.0 brings much success.

Edited by Delani

I hate to see a sub leave and I understand where you are coming from but I don't agree.

Also leaving a couple of months before what should be the biggest expansion since the Valkorian Storyline is shortsighted in the extreme.

Stick around till Onslaught drops and if it is not enough for you then you know there is nothing here for you any more.

You will always wonder if you don't.

I can't say I don't agree. i've been playing eso and ff14 lately while my swtor sub has lapsed. But i will be back before or during 6.0. I will always love swtor but us veterans get burnt out doing the same things over and over. Doesn't seem like the sub is worth it anymore and hasn't been for a while.

Thats what happens when you dump all your resources into story and not content or developing content that is eternal. SWG did a great job at allowing players create their own content.

Holy cats ! If that is in fact their business model ... you have got to be kidding me !! LOL that's just plain nuts !

BTW.... I agree with OP statement totally ! In fact if you look at the last part the items listed by OP it contains a LOT of what many of us have been discussing for a while now !

Take a break and wait for new content ... YIKES ! That may take a while ! Someone remind me ... just how much new stuff have we really seen in 3 years ? Not a whole lot ! Right now the lack of content with any real depth is at the top of the list of things to do (or at least it SHOULD be ). We need an old fashion shakedown ... top to bottom.

For whatever it is worth if OP happens to stop by... I'd spend the extra $$ to see what 6.0 brings ... then if the game pancakes again ... well.. The fact is there may be a few folks following you ... me included !

The people who produce FFXIV take their clients and their game seriously .. and it shows ! A LOT !

Edited by OlBuzzard

That's so bizarre. It's no wonder SWTOR population never seems to grow. I don't see how you can keep an MMO going for the long haul with an approach like that. As far as I'm aware, based in part on my own experience and things I've read people say, guilds are one of the backbones of population for a game like this. But if a guild shrinks and/or dies because people have nothing to do, there's no guarantee any of those people are going to come back. They may very well go to an MMO that doesn't expect people to take breaks and they'll see no reason to leave it, or they'll just quit MMOs in general. Variety of reasons, but the chance of them coming back seems like a hope and a prayer. Even worse odds if they were never part of a guild to begin with, I would think.

I am not saying you are wrong

But I am very skeptical without proof.

Obviously, any developer would like to have players subscribe year-round. Many devs recognize that it is not the way fickle players are in this day and age when there is competition and they consume content faster than it can be produced. I could take the time to find Keith's quote on this point (I won't), but he did mention it in a podcast. (Hand to Yoda.)

With that said, even the behemoth WoW recognizes this point (and is much more Google friendly!) ;) In May 2015, Ion Hazzikostas (lead designer) said:

"Players don't play WoW year-round anymore, they just come back for new content and then go off to play other games..."

In a separate interview with VentureBeat he said:

"Inherently, I think that things are cyclical.

Especially nowadays, players aren’t necessarily viewing World of Warcraft as a year-round lifestyle so much as a game that they love, where they’re going to check in, see what we’ve got, play the content in a patch, go off, play some other great game that just came out, and then come back when we have something new to offer them."

Why would SWTOR, which releases far less content, be any different?

I guess some of us (like me) are lucky. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I'm not wedded to Star Wars as an IP.

Anyhoo, back to ESO...:rak_03:

TL-DR: Why do people freak out when there is a content drought (which we all hate)? Take a break and play some other great game (I recommend Subnautica), play with the cat, binge watch Game of Thrones minus Season 8, etc.

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Obviously, any developer would like to have players subscribe year-round. Many devs recognize that it is not the way fickle players are in this day and age when there is competition and they consume content faster than it can be produced. I could take the time to find Keith's quote on this point, but he did mention it in a podcast.

With that said, even the behemoth WoW, recognizes this point (and is much more Google friendly!) ;) In May 2015, Ion Hazzikostas said:

"Players don't play WoW year-round anymore, they just come back for new content and then go off to play other games..."

Especially nowadays, players aren’t necessarily viewing World of Warcraft as a year-round lifestyle so much as a game that they love, where they’re going to check in, see what we’ve got, play the content in a patch, go off, play some other great game that just came out, and then come back when we have something new to offer them."

Why would SWTOR, which releases far less content, be any different?

I guess some of us (like me) are lucky. Don't get me wrong, I love this game, but I'm not wedded to Star Wars as an IP.

Anyhoo, back to ESO...:rak_03:

Dasty

I'm not sure I agree with this entirely ... but those quotes do help to prove a point.

On another side ( the quotes not withstanding) ... this might also be something to think about.

It's true that when the content runs low (or for other reasons) boredom sets in players will get itchy feet. On the other hand considering the cost of buying into or subbing (if F2P is not available) ... then those same players may or may not return as frequently or as quickly as they (insert various names of game developers) might be expecting.

In other words while their statement is initially true (to a point) most people more than likely don't move back as quickly as they think ... simply due to the expense involved. In other words it might not be so much as being "wed to the game as it is just simple finances ... but even that can be stressed to a breaking point.

And no.. sorry I really don't concrete reports over a large enough scale to back that up. Probably more personal experience in talking with folks in RL than anything else.

But that is why I suggested to OP to wait until after 6.0 to see what happens.

Aside from that .. I do agree with the jest of what you are posting.

Edited by OlBuzzard

Thing is, that's just an observation of how some people play and could be caused by the design of the game itself. I'm not saying players should be married to a game and play it 24/7, but the idea that "some players tune out, so that's just how it is" seems silly to me.

I would also argue that the idea of "new content" and "droughts" of it is something largely induced by design. If the game is designed as content you consume once and then you are done, or it's designed as repetitive content that you grind repetitively until you're done (gated or otherwise) eventually people are going to run out. And they will be bored.

Uncommon though they may be in video games, there are game systems that can be replayed with lots of depth to them and room for mastery. Chess is one example. In video games, an example that comes to mind for me is Civilization (specifically Civ 5 with its xpacs cause that's the one I've played, I can't speak for the others). Then there are systems like in The Sims, where part of the content can be your creativity (housing, landscaping, character creation, etc.). This is similar to a toy like Legos.

So it comes across as kind of a copout to me and the cynic in me wonders if it's just making up a reason for these type of games to not keep people around year round because they'd rather those people go and drop $60 and beyond on the newest titles, so they can make sure to make profit off of those too, not just MMOs. I mean, after all, if people are too busy enjoying themselves with a single game, how are the other AAA titles these companies are putting out going to make money?

OP here...

A common question asked of my post, for clarification purposes, is why I am "Coming to this conclusion now" or what the problem is with the content in the game now. The answer to me is rather simple if a bit long winded:

I have long known the issues the game faces, but I always had one reason or another to keep me here; when I got bored of one thing I went and found something else to keep me busy. For instance, when I felt I had my fill of Warzones I went and learned Starfighter. Also... I mean... lightsabers. Yet when you have been doing that for 7 years, EVERYTHING gets old... and then they release the pitiful Dantooine and Ossus. I fully understand that they are just filler to keep us occupied until something meatier comes along, but I have endured nothing BUT filler since 4.0; I try to block out KOTFE and KOTET... Perhaps 6.0 will be the start of something better? I can only hope. But I will not be returning this year as I have 37 Classes and Jobs to level up on one character in FFXIV.

[EDIT] I would also like to add that this post is a personalized reason for leaving. I understand that people might be enjoying SWTOR right now, but one only needs to look at what remains of the very depleted server population to know that I am far from the only one that feels the way I do. Case in point: It took the devs of SWTOR how long to finish GotM? Two-three years? ESO, alone, releases 2-3 new raid and flashpoint equivalents EVERY year. The same can be said of FFXIV.

Edited by Kai-Del_Serromis

OP here...

A common question asked of my post, for clarification purposes, is why I am "Coming to this conclusion now" or what the problem is with the content in the game now. The answer to me is rather simple if a bit long winded:

I have long known the issues the game faces, but I always had one reason or another to keep me here; when I got bored of one thing I went and found something else to keep me busy. For instance, when I felt I had my fill of Warzones I went and learned Starfighter. Also... I mean... lightsabers. Yet when you have been doing that for 7 years, EVERYTHING gets old... and then they release the pitiful Dantooine and Ossus. I fully understand that they are just filler to keep us occupied until something meatier comes along, but I have endured nothing BUT filler since 4.0; I try to block out KOTFE and KOTET... Perhaps 6.0 will be the start of something better? I can only hope. But I will not be returning this year as I have 37 Classes and Jobs to level up on one character in FFXIV.

[EDIT] I would also like to add that this post is a personalized reason for leaving. I understand that people might be enjoying SWTOR right now, but one only needs to look at what remains of the very depleted server population to know that I am far from the only one that feels the way I do. Case in point: It took the devs of SWTOR how long to finish GotM? Two-three years? ESO, alone, releases 2-3 new raid and flashpoint equivalents EVERY year. The same can be said of FFXIV.

Just because you didn't like KOTFE and KOTET that does not invalidate it as content.

You don't like it, hey that is your bag no judgement here as you gotta do you.

But it is content, it is a ****ton of content. I for one greatly enjoyed it.

You really can't remove the biggest content drop of the period and then complain about no content.

I stopped reading after that.

OP here...

I do Share alot of your sentiment here. The Zakuul story was way out in Left field for SWTOR and the Content Droughts were very long (Funny it was an Influencer that brought that term up to begin with :)). 2-3 Years for the GOTM, Dantooine's size, Umbarra, Copero only as Flashpoint size Those spanned how long?? and comparing that other games level of content additions it is very telling. I actually Blame E.A. mostly for this in their Throttling SWTOR down to this level and building their own clone to everybody else's game (Again, copying). SWTOR got what all the other EA games didn't want. I have high hopes for Onslaught that it is enjoyable and gives *Hope in the right direction, minimal bugs considering Faction Traitors, Initial Comps reactions to treason and other code heavy changes. We'll see :)

Edited by MikeCobalt

I am not saying you are wrong

But I am very skeptical without proof.

Holy hell that took a long time to find. I KNEW I remembered this coming up but it was a ***** to find

Quote:

People who play SWTOR for a year or more are a small minority of the player base, former players who return for a few months when there is new content and totally new players that play for a few months are the vast majority

from Bad Feeling Podcast Episode 205 (devs involved: David Demaree, Bret Hoffman, Eric Musco)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=953287

Trixxie's post #9 has a note section in lieu of a full transcript (which I can't find and I don't want to listen to a 90 minute podcast) and this quote is towards the bottom.

I was remembering the same thing ZionHalcyon was but I was wrong about the dev tracker since there wasn't a gold post about it, just what was said in that podcast.

Edited by aerockyul

Holy hell that took a long time to find. I KNEW I remembered this coming up but it was a ***** to find

Quote:

People who play SWTOR for a year or more are a small minority of the player base, former players who return for a few months when there is new content and totally new players that play for a few months are the vast majority

from Bad Feeling Podcast Episode 205 (devs involved: David Demaree, Bret Hoffman, Eric Musco)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=953287

Trixxie's post #9 has a note section in lieu of a full transcript (which I can't find and I don't want to listen to a 90 minute podcast) and this quote is towards the bottom.

I was remembering the same thing ZionHalcyon was but I was wrong about the dev tracker since there wasn't a gold post about it, just what was said in that podcast.

Still skeptical

I would need to hear and recognize the voice saying it or see it published officially.

But

I accept it is "probably" true

Edited by QuinlanSaathis