View Single Post

Elessara
06.16.2019 , 04:28 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Severith View Post
Look at WoW. The most frustraing times for WoW gearing was Vanilla and Burning Crusade. Guess which times saw the playerbase increase?

Vanilla and Burning Crusade.

Wrath of the Lich King saw slight player growth, and that was easier gearing, and from there every expansion it was easier and easier to gear and the player base dwindled and dwindled.

Now you have BFA, which has epic gear all over the place, literally given to you, there's no challenges, no community spirit, and people left it in droves.....and now everyone is talking WoW again, but not because of BFA, but because vanilla servers are opening up, and all that challenge and misery is drawing them back in.

People need elitism. They need goals, and they need those goals to be frustrating in order to be satisfying. Frustration is absolutely necessary for a good mmo.

You got a good one liner for that?

I like having goals in a game. I do not like to be frustrated. Making something too annoying is a good way to make me not bother or just leave entirely. If I happen to find the reward compelling enough to deal with the frustration, when I achieve said goal I don't find satisfaction or happiness in achieving it. I find relief that the annoyance is over and I'll never have to do it again.

As for your WoW example, correlation does not imply causation.
Personally, I only played WoW for a year and that was when Mists of Pandaria was released. I hated it and only played because my friends were playing. My dissatisfaction had nothing to do with the gear grind or lack thereof.

Also "frustration" is subjective. What some people find frustrating, others find enjoyable. What some people find challenging, others find easy.