How do you compare upgrades to Orange Gear?

LightsOn

I have several Orange Gear Items and when I look at the comparative tooltips for new/possible upgrades Im confused about how to tell if they are better or not.

Like looking at a mod, it will have 2 or 3 attributes but the one in my armour will say something like mod(12). I dunno how to tell if the new mod is better or not?

Is there a way to tell?

Also, how can I tell if another Orange Piece will look better than the one I have? The few I have are OK but I would like to "see" if my toon would look better in another outfit before buying it.

Unfortunately it doesn't show armor or damage on armoring, barrels, and hilts.

You must be missing an option then.

If you go into the general UI and under compare, click all 4 boxes, you will be able to see the stats for each mod including damage/armor rating for your orange items.

I usually just compare as a whole (total stats vs total stats) the great thing about orange items (until level 50 epic) you can upgrade the enhancement and mods for 2 commendation each. It is pretty cheap and you can check with what you have vs the store.

I usually use a spread sheet or just open/close store a lot.

You must be missing an option then.

If you go into the general UI and under compare, click all 4 boxes, you will be able to see the stats for each mod including damage/armor rating for your orange items.

I misspoke. I can see the armor and damage ratings for the orange piece of gear. But when I go to a vendor and look at armor or a barrel, I do not see the armor/damage of that particular mod. I can see the stats (endurance, aim, cunning, etc.). So I can compare orange gear to orange gear, what I can't do is look at a barrel from a vendor and easily see whether or not it's an upgrade over the barrel currently in my gun.

I have several Orange Gear Items and when I look at the comparative tooltips for new/possible upgrades Im confused about how to tell if they are better or not.

Like looking at a mod, it will have 2 or 3 attributes but the one in my armour will say something like mod(12). I dunno how to tell if the new mod is better or not?

Is there a way to tell?

Also, how can I tell if another Orange Piece will look better than the one I have? The few I have are OK but I would like to "see" if my toon would look better in another outfit before buying it.

For mods, armors and enhancements just go by the number on the item. Say for example you ctrl+left click on the item you want to modify, look at they number on the mod it will say something like Deft mod 14a or agile mod 11. you want to go with a mod thats going to be a higher number than what you already have, with one exception. You can have a mod that's a blue prototype style and that can be about 2 levels above a green one of the same number or one number up. My best advice is to compare the stats on each one and put it in if it's higher.

You can also take a look on Ask Mr. Robot if you're having trouble in the game. You can do this one of two ways.

1. Build your character (see mine, for example). Then open up the gear tab for the slot you're looking at. Browse through the gear list, and you'll be able to see what mods / hilts / etc are in the gear.

2. Just go right to the database and look up the item in question, we show the mods / hilts / etc there too.

Note: if you have a tablet device, this is a great companion. The website is built to work in landscape more on all of the major tablets, even the smaller Kindle Fire screen.

...what I can't do is look at a barrel from a vendor and easily see whether or not it's an upgrade over the barrel currently in my gun.

You can. These values depend entirely on the 'rating' of the barrel/armoring/hilt. So if your current barrel has a rating of 100, a barrel with a rating of 105 is an upgrade in DPS, and 110 would be a bigger upgrade. 95 would be a downgrade.

It doesn't display the exact min/max damage or armor values on a 'raw' mod, because that depends on what kind of weapon or armor you install it in. e.g. the same rating armoring in a piece of light armor will have fewer armor points than in heavy armor.

I misspoke. I can see the armor and damage ratings for the orange piece of gear. But when I go to a vendor and look at armor or a barrel, I do not see the armor/damage of that particular mod. I can see the stats (endurance, aim, cunning, etc.). So I can compare orange gear to orange gear, what I can't do is look at a barrel from a vendor and easily see whether or not it's an upgrade over the barrel currently in my gun.

compare ratings on the vendor mod to the rating number on your equipped item. Since armorings can be put in light, medium or heavy armor, the final armor stat will be different for the same mod depending on what base item you put it in. That's why you have to compare ratings. So look on the hilt, armoring or barrel and there will be a note like "rating 100," that's what you want to compare.