Class Quest missions hard to solo

Sithsong

I have been wondering why the higher my level the tougher the class quest missions are to solo. My gear has kept up and there appears to be a sense of humor in some areas. The mobs in some class instanced areas appear to favor tank types. My DPS sniper has had a hard time soloing content with multiple elite class mobs. I am on Taris and the range tank companion has been dropping in her effectiveness. There are often times that I need a group to kill the mobs in my class story area. The off-world areas appear to no longer allow groups also. Are other people having the same issue?

Way to be helpful.

OP - try to be a few levels above the class quest if it's giving you trouble, do other quests, space missions, flashpoints etc. A few levels can make all the difference, along with the potential gear those levels give. You may, if you have one, want to switch to a healer companion as well, they can and do really help.

And what I think the previous poster was trying to point out, really should've put this post in help, general at a push.

if you are a tank spec,,,dont care the class.. played them all.. you should have no trouble. You just suck is all.

ive done my class quest oh hoth for a bounty hunter at lvl 36 when the quest calls you to be lvl 40. sure it was challenging but i got it done by myself. Dps can still do it. so can heals easy.

My rule number 1. if you run into a fight and lose, rethink your approach. Game isnt unbeatable and is actualy made to be solo able. Player needs to lear how.

Edited by HumanSheild

Not sure what you mean by "the off world areas don't allow groups". You can group for anything. You just have to be the first person to enter.

Can't say I had any issues myself...I solo'd all my class missions on my Sniper and Operative. It gets easier once you get Lokin and get him good gear. One of the key things about fighting the elite bosses is being aware of their mechanics and what abilities you have to counter them. Sometimes an all-out dps race isn't the right way to go about it, you may need to be stunning/interrupting as much as possible, timing your cooldowns, using CC...basically they help teach you play your class more effectively.

Also, keep your companions gear up too, not just yours. IMO Lokin all the way once you get him, not everyone agrees about that though.

Edited by chuixupu

Not sure what you mean by "the off world areas don't allow groups". You can group for anything. You just have to be the first person to enter.

Can't say I had any issues myself...I solo'd all my class missions on my Sniper and Operative. It gets easier once you get Lokin and get him good gear. One of the key things about fighting the elite bosses is being aware of their mechanics and what abilities you have to counter them. Sometimes an all-out dps race isn't the right way to go about it, you may need to be stunning/interrupting as much as possible, timing your cooldowns, using CC...basically they help teach you play your class more effectively.

Also, keep your companions gear up too, not just yours. IMO Lokin all the way once you get him, not everyone agrees about that though.

dude lokin makes my spiper act like a tank. I take on elites with strongs and stanards in groups with little problems. Game is hard for the op.

Well, there's no need to be rude about it. Some people are new to games like this. I remember my first MMO experience and how horrible I was.... It's too bad I can't actually get in the game and watch what's going on and inspect gear/talents.

• 3 months later...
Think outside the box. Use all your tools ie stims, stuns, the right companions. Swap out companions - I always figure on the tough class quests 1 death to figure stratagy. Fought 1 mob with a killer AOE - so I spent the time running around him, another with a killer personal aoe - went to a ranged companion while I ran around stunning an interuppting. Out side the box - trained on SOB back into friendly mobs who did the killing for me. Bounced another off a bridge to his death. Use companion to keep elite busy, kill any support troops. If you die before the main mob but kill the support when you rez then you only fight the main guy - the support stays dead. Maybe a quick repec if what you have isnt working. I have 3 50's and thats how I soloed the class quests.

if you are a tank spec,,,dont care the class.. played them all.. you should have no trouble. You just suck is all.

ive done my class quest oh hoth for a bounty hunter at lvl 36 when the quest calls you to be lvl 40. sure it was challenging but i got it done by myself. Dps can still do it. so can heals easy.

My rule number 1. if you run into a fight and lose, rethink your approach. Game isnt unbeatable and is actualy made to be solo able. Player needs to lear how.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. If you're playing a Deception Assassin, you class quests can be tricky at times. You're final class quest is near impossible without help....... and Khem an worth a whole lot towards the end regardless of gear.

Now, OP, maybe you need to figure out rotation or just level up a little before you hit our planets. I know that the Sniper build can be difficult if you're not approaching it right. I'm going engineer heavy to help cover up some of the inherent weaknesses of the class but you won't be pushing out major DPS with that build. You will be a better group member.

The single key that helped me past most of the bigtime bosses was proper interrupt management. Most of the time, if I wasn't doing well against a boss, it was because I wasn't managing my interrupts properly.

There are of course other reasons why you may be having problems, issues such as undergearing yourself or companion, not using your skill tree to full effectiveness, etc. But interrupts are key in being successful in the class quest bosses.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why are people even bringing up tank leveling? Sniper is ONLY DPS.

As has been mentioned:

- Interrupt as much as possible. Remember that Cover pulse, stun and flash bang all interrupt too.

- Use your stun/flash bang to reduce enemy numbers for a while. Healer comp will also mezz an enemy for you.

- Use your heroic moment (after your burst and have blown adrenalin probe).

- Keep your companion's gear up to speed. Use healer or tank as your comfortable.

- If the elite is a melee, keep them off you with cover pulse, leg shot and ambush.

- If the mob uses stuns/knock backs then use entrench

- Make sure you have stims and medpacks. More importantly: use them.

Another overlooked feature (at least if you're marksman) is the benefit of exiting and re-entering cover during a fight - this gives you a few absorb buffs and an instant snipe. You can do this at least a couple of times on particularly tough fights (every 8-10 secs or so should be good).

Another overlooked feature (at least if you're marksman) is the benefit of exiting and re-entering cover during a fight - this gives you a few absorb buffs and an instant snipe. You can do this at least a couple of times on particularly tough fights (every 8-10 secs or so should be good).

This is how I tanked Karagga on Story Mode with my MM Sniper, that and excellent healers :cool:

Regardless of posts above, the difference in effectiveness from similarly geared Kaliyo and Dr. Lokin with respect to overall ease/speed of leveling is massive. IMO tough it out until you get the doctor and then nothing is even remotely difficult.

I had Kaliyo geared about as well or better than I had other tank companions and I felt like I was stopping after every fight to rest up because she took a beating. With the Dr. you don't even have to worry about doing anything but damage. I rarely even bother interrupting elites.

While people say the Dr. is less effective a healer compared to other healer companions, IMO it doesn't matter as you kill stuff so much faster than other classes it's a wash, if not a swing in the other direction.

Also, gearing up the doctor is ridiculously simple. If I get an upgrade he takes my old piece.

Coming back to the game I (of course) rolled a new marksman sniper (the old one still exists somewhere, but as I had been gone for months (and the old guild I was in is long gone) I decided I'll roll a new one to re-learn the ropes, and then I sort of got stuck with it; besidesI like the attitude of people on The Progenitor, even towards un-guilded people like me :) ).

As has been mentioned:

- Interrupt as much as possible. Remember that Cover pulse, stun and flash bang all interrupt too.

- Use your stun/flash bang to reduce enemy numbers for a while. Healer comp will also mezz an enemy for you.

- Use your heroic moment (after your burst and have blown adrenalin probe).

- Keep your companion's gear up to speed. Use healer or tank as your comfortable.

- If the elite is a melee, keep them off you with cover pulse, leg shot and ambush.

- If the mob uses stuns/knock backs then use entrench

- Make sure you have stims and medpacks. More importantly: use them.

In addition if you are a Marksman, leave and enter cover every 6-8 seconds (I don't have a timer, but I know how to count to four, aka four global cooldowns) when you are focused on by lots of enemies. The auto-absorbs for going into cover increase survivability by lots.

Personally I use Kaliyo always. Lokin isn't suitable for my style, it seems, even though I have had him with up to date gear (easy to do that these days (compared to when I was playing my previous sniper in December/January), social gear and cyber, with commendations used for the enhancements). In chaff fights Kaliyio is excellent in the AoE situations (just AoE stuff fown), and in tough fights I use Kaliyo as a CC of sorts. Ie. tag her on one nasty mob while I take care of the rest, she will do fine until I can deal with the mob she is concentrating on. With all the CC's and interrupts the sniper has at use (plus the concussion grenades from cyber) and pumping in and out of cover makes a humongous difference. Stuff die fast and it is quite hard for mobs to actually hurt. Just use the correct CC on correct targets; ie Legshoot the melee mob, Flashbang (and/or use concussion grenades if you are a cyber) at the ranged mobs, etc.

So far I've completed Chapter 1 at level 29 and Chapter 2 at level 36.

• 2 weeks later...
dude lokin makes my spiper act like a tank. I take on elites with strongs and stanards in groups with little problems. Game is hard for the op.

OP is stuck on the taris questline, so doesnt have lokin yet...

I am using vector for most quests at the moment, used him for the quests on taris and had no real problems

Edited by Etagnirps

• 5 months later...

hello:

what class are u? trooper, ..??? im a trooper commando. I am doing class quests along with regular quests. From my first planet Ord Mantell I moved on to Coruscan on a regular quest and class quest which was higher level for me. Now I a m back in taris, level 22 still doing the class quests but with a char level lower than 20 is hard to make it thru. I would recommend to go Coruscan level up faster and back to taris with the robot companion 2.C2-N2 and smoke those class quests. I have not finished my class quests in taris, long quests, long conversations, pretty interesting and i will finished them to go back coruscan and finish my class quests over there.\

thanks

jose (overseas)

there is a point in the game where the "difficulty" jumps quite a bit in npc's

taris and hoth are where it tends to happen

plus, with kaliyo as tank it becomes hard to use flashbang to cc as her abilities will break it

you are probably also too far away to use debilitate as another cc

contrary to intuition sometimes it is better to be right "in the face" of the enemy so you can utilize all your cc abilities

(especially since kaliyo can draw aggro so easy) so long as you are in cover

my advice would be to make sure any excess aoe taunts and abilities of kaliyo are turned off

you might even want to put her in sniper mode- this way you can juggle mobs and have them yo-yo between you two; make sure your companion is at least in blue level appropriate gear not to mention yourself; cc strongs and burn down weaks and regulars

fwiw-- at this level i found engineering to be better-- you will be a bit "tankier" with shield probe buffs and your explosive probe will make quick work of the strongs

good hunting

ffs--- holy necros batman--- my bad

Edited by Daxy

hello:

what class are u? trooper, ..???.............

Are you kidding? You just asked if he is a TROOPER? Are you even capable of reading? This is the SNIPER sub-forum. Its impossible to navigate here without going typing the direct link or clicking through the IMPERIAL AGENT page, so how you could even consider asking as dumb a question as this is beyond me...

And why the **** are you rezzing this post from almost 9 months ago?