Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Graydon

I quoted the TOS because many people on this thread did not seem to understand that what is being complained about (the racism, gay bashing and other forms of harassment) is against the TOS and therefore can be reported and possibly lead to banning. You might think hate speech is OK and should be tolerated, but it is in direct violation of the code of conduct and can and should lead to a ban if someone reports it.

Where did I ever say "hate speech is OK"? Read what I said carefully...

I simply said MOST people disregard the TOS I never said that I do. I abide by it. Also hate speech was under the umbrella of real life threats and such. I assumed you would place hate speech under that. Aside from that, yes it is reportable, which is exactly what you should do if you wish, I just add to ignore if it doesn't offend me.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's isn't that bad on TOFN...usually. It does suck sometimes, but paying people to monitor it? Who would even take that job? Report em, block em, I really don't think we can ask much more of BW.

I would take that job, sit at home monitor the chat channels with a nice "Ban-hammer" while waiting for my PvP to "pop". What this game needs is the Guide program like Everquest used to have. People would apply to be a guide and they would go through in game training to handle tickets and issues within the game and if they couldn't handle it as a guide or senior guide they would elevate it up to a GM. Oh did I say they were Volunteer's?

I must say that the General chat is just horrible, I was going to get my son his own account so we could play together but I have since changed my mind and that we will just play another game together instead while I play this one solo.

Sad, as he is a BIG Star Wars fan and has all the toys to go with it. General chat has ruined this for him.

Cheers

Or...

Let people exercise their freedom of speech. You're on a keep the forums holy crusade, I'm on an identify and crucify all the stupid people crusade.[/Quote]

doesn't mean what you think it means. It never does when people use this as an excuse for bad behavior

If others have the right to cry and moan about the stupid, idioti stuff they do on the forums, I should have the right to call them on it without some other crybaby trying to get me banned. I don't tell them they can't have or voice their opinion, why should anyone think they can do that to me (or anyone for that matter).

People need to toughen up and stop getting their little feelings hurt over every little thing, some times people aren't going to like you or your ideas... and they're going to tell you about.

Wow, entitlement much? Try civility as an alternative to boorishness. You might be shocked at the results. It's also quite liberating for one to know that one isn't the center of the universe. Cheers!

for me it's not the language people use, because I can out-do pretty much anybody in that respect and I don't care... it's the retarded 12-years olds that go on and on and on about the stupidest crap in the world. They need to just remove that channel altogther, imo.

You realize that F2Pers can only post infrequently, right? This game's community was never good. Blaming F2P is ridiculous. What, do you people think that WoW's community is somehow pristine and perfect and free of all bigots and bullies because it's sub based? Don't make me laugh.

Seriously though, the internet is a cesspool. Even with rules and regulations and an EULA for the game, people are still going to post terrible things that will rustle your jimmies. Nothing is sacred when you are anonymous.

Asking for volunteer moderators is a horrible idea. I can't wait to see volunteer mods abuse their power! Yay!

Honestly, you have the ability to not only ignore offenders, but report them, and you can even leave the chat! It's like leaving a room when people are saying offensive things, only it's for the internet! It's just like magic!

You're asking for martial law when it's really not necessary. Here is how you fix things. Don't feed the trolls, use the ignore list for what it's supposed to be used for, and move on.

Look, I get it. You want the community to get better. We already have a way (reporting and ignoring) to make it better. There are so many things that need to be fixed in this game. Please don't make BEAware waste resources on trying to police chat instead of working on actual content.

TL;DR, "Entire thread is BABIES!" - Heavy

This.

stop being stupid and turn off chat if you are soooooooooooo damn sensitive to what other people talk about. Or use the game fuction called ignor. But i know you wont because you rather complain to complain like any typical internet loser. Oh i dont like that word..but i cant stop reading it......Realy that hard to turn off chat or simply use the game feature ignor? Grow up and move on.

you know, its been said many times that it only takes good people ignoring evil for evil to win. yeah, this is a stretch... but its time for people that are sick of this behaviour online to take a stand..and thats what this is. so maybe you need to grow up and let people stand up for what is right... and not just roll over and let jerks get away with it like you want to do. so.. keep burying your head... see how that works for you. at least some of us stand up for what is at least respectful to others and think that is what everyone deserves.

I have played a jedi up to lvl 50 on a normal american server, didtt see anything offending in generalchat.

I have played a bounty hunter to lvl 50 on eu pvp server, noting bad in general chat.

Im now levling another jedi on an european pvp server, nothing bad in general chat here either.

Im happy bioware put people on developing game instead of monitoring general chat like a kgb agency making sure nobody say something thats not political correct atm.

This is storm in a glass of water, nothing to see so carry on..

cheers

Haha tbh I have on occassion joined in and I'm a subber but sometimes the general chat is hilarious. Whoever says it's just f2p is nonsense as the subbers are as bad. I don't mind some adult jokes etc by people who have actually thought about what they are saying and found myself in tears at some of the responses to trollers etc. What I find more annoying are the ones who keep putting non-amusing (albeit clean) garbage in there. Here are my top 10 general chat PEEEVS lol

1) "Cake Is A Lie".....(ok this was funny for a bit, but now every idiot says it every 2 minutes with "Pie is a lie" "Cake is pie" and utter nonsense and it just grinds on you. That said when these idiots hit planets after the 2nd one they get told to shut up more haha)

2) "We have cookies".....(***, seriously......why is this funny?)

3) English speaking people deliberately talking in their native tongues to pee off the general chat. Even their own countrymen get narked off by this. You don't RP in general chat, so don't speak dutch in english chat.

4) Racism......eugh....nuff said

5) "This game's stupid, you can't even swear in chat without getting bleeped out"....(yeh it's the game that's stupid)

6) Spoilers.....(why do idiots love to mention every single thing they've done in their class quests to general chat? we don't wanna hear it!!)

7) "How do i get to?.....".......(use the map!)

8) F2Pers moaning that they have a limited experience.......u get what u pay for

9) "It's sick I can't even play this game cause I don't have a credit card. Why don't they let us play".......UKASH and TIMECARDS are available everywhere.

10) "GW2 is better than this. Go over there"...."WOW does this bit better"...other MMO comparisons....zzzz

The Harbinger. Gen chat on multiple planets, both factions has been especially vulgar. It is happening now and needs to be addressed. Had one post saying that he/she hopes little kids were raped by their fathers.

I submitted ticket(7902883), ignored a bunch of participants, and once again turned chat off.

I'm getting angry that to enjoy the game I have to turn off chat. Might as well make this a single player game. Rules enforcement needs to happen, and quickly. These people are pushing the boundaries, not being dealt with, and are pushing further. I submitted the ticket knowing it probably won't be addressed for a while and so I posted this here hoping it will get to right peoples eyes sooner.

I'm all for tolerance and open-mindedness, but maturity is a two way street. I know that if I were to read something that offended me in general chat, I wouldn't dwell on it. I also know that if it continued to bother me, I would just close it. General chat is only really helpful to ask the community questions about the game, troll, and gold spam. The one thing that aggravates me about the SWTOR community is their willingness to whine about everything under the sun... It gets old people. Maybe its just the times, but it feels like people get way too worked up over words...

I'm all for tolerance and open-mindedness, but maturity is a two way street. I know that if I were to read something that offended me in general chat, I wouldn't dwell on it. I also know that if it continued to bother me, I would just close it. General chat is only really helpful to ask the community questions about the game, troll, and gold spam. The one thing that aggravates me about the SWTOR community is their willingness to whine about everything under the sun... It gets old people. Maybe its just the times, but it feels like people get way too worked up over words...

No... This is tolerance taken too far. Why are there rules? Why are they not enforced? Why do normal people have to be at the mercy of degenerates? Why should normal people just shrug and look for justification instead of solutions?

I've been ignoring and shutting off chat for too long now. I personally cannot do anything to the people who wouldn't dare say the things they say to a persons face that is written in chat- and it is getting progressively more insulting, obscene, immature. That is why there needs to be enforcement. Tolerance isn't working because there is no threat of consequences. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I don't dwell on most of the inane chatter that is gen chat. But when you see someone talking about ****** children- and others attacking people who express outrage and disgust over such a statement; something needs to be done. If people can't act with some semblance of a respectable human then they need to be dealt with.

Follow the rules agreed to when the game was installed, or pay the consequences. Me turning off my chat is not a solution, but a self imposed hindrance because there is no one with the power to address these type issues.

No... This is tolerance taken too far. Why are there rules? Why are they not enforced? Why do normal people have to be at the mercy of degenerates? Why should normal people just shrug and look for justification instead of solutions?

I've been ignoring and shutting off chat for too long now. I personally cannot do anything to the people who wouldn't dare say the things they say to a persons face that is written in chat- and it is getting progressively more insulting, obscene, immature. That is why there needs to be enforcement. Tolerance isn't working because there is no threat of consequences. This is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I don't dwell on most of the inane chatter that is gen chat. But when you see someone talking about ****** children- and others attacking people who express outrage and disgust over such a statement; something needs to be done. If people can't act with some semblance of a respectable human then they need to be dealt with.

Follow the rules agreed to when the game was installed, or pay the consequences. Me turning off my chat is not a solution, but a self imposed hindrance because there is no one with the power to address these type issues.

All right, I read your manifesto and I thought that maybe I should restate my point. I don't bear any ill will towards your argument what-so-ever, but your outrage comes across as a little melodramatic. While I may not be a highly offend-able person, you seem to get regularly offended by these shenanigans. My point is that people have wildly different perspectives. What may seem offensive to you may be entirely acceptable to someone else. Maybe a compromise would be to have a filtered chat selection. That way you could choose the type of general chat that you would like to be a part of. There could even be RP-general chats that focus on maintaining your characters persona.

3) English speaking people deliberately talking in their native tongues to pee off the general chat. Even their own countrymen get narked off by this. You don't RP in general chat, so don't speak dutch in english chat.

Why would a Hungarian guild recruit Hungarians using English?

The servers are European and I find the diversity of languages only enriches my gaming experience.

This isn't about being offensive or being rude. This is about people thinking others need to act a certain way and then crying when they realize that they cant force others to adopt the same philosophy about how people should act.

Would you call the cops to complain that your neighbor is swearing in his house and if you go up to his windows and peek in you can hear it? No. If you don't like it, then don't go listen.

If you want there to be regulation because you get offended, then there are already numerous fixes for this (igonre, filter, turn off general chat). Just don't listen.

If you want regulation because you don't like that others can act in a way that you find deplorable, then tough. If it were that easy then I would report everyone that complains in gen chat about what others are saying because I find that more deplorable then what is being said by some 12 yr old that doesn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy so he has to use trolling to get people to talk to him.

Sure, defend the right of people to threaten others in general chat to go to their house and r*pe their children. Some people might find this offensive, but others find it perfectly acceptable, right? Hey, it's just a little harmless smack talk ...

Um, NO.

I agree the chat has become disgusting. I can understand people wanting or needing info. These guys that come on and swear a blue streak talking to others like they own the damn game. Its getting to the point that I don't even go into or turn on Gen chat. Only to get a group for a heroic. That is it.

Bioware needs to start banning accounts of people that do this and that includes subscribers. It gets sickening to constantly see people bashing each other. I put the number of people in my ignore list that I see doing these things I would not see anyone talking in Gen chat at all most of the time.

Sexual innuendo and religious bashing trash talk racism swearing and depravity are just a start. Do something about this guys. Monitoring it is just a start. I suggest a 24 hour ban then move to a week and then permanent.

General chat in the starting planets is usually the worst.

My solution it to switch the tab to the combat log or something. That usually will turn it off. leaving the General Channel also helps turn off the stupid innane chatter off too. There really isn't much else that can be done about it.

I don't know what it is about the internet, but ppl like to say things they normally couldn't, or wouldn't say if they where face to face. If happens in every game. Not just this one.

But don't want to look at it ... turn it off and there can be silence again. At least in this game it is a little bit easier to turn off those channels. Does it make it right for them to have potty mouths all the time? No, probly not. But at least you won't have to listen to it if you turn the chat channel off.

Am I the only one actually playing the game instead of reading chat?

Who cares. Do you really think that the guy saying he is going to rape children is really going to rape children?

They say it just to get a rise out of people. All you complainers do is add more fuel to their fire.

Freaking complainers are worse in my opinion. Especially since there are already SEVERAL soulutions.

Don't read chat

Turn it off

Turn on language filter

/ignore

It is not like there are words that you are forced to hear. You have to actually read the bloody chat. Don't do it.

Pretty simple solution.

edit

FFS just the simple logistics of having each gen chat, for each planet/zone, on every server, 24/7. Well over a hundred people.

Ill take 10 decent programmers fixing bugs over something that is easily avoided.

Edited by tweekbrand

Am I the only one actually playing the game instead of reading chat?

Who cares. Do you really think that the guy saying he is going to rape children is really going to rape children?

They say it just to get a rise out of people. All you complainers do is add more fuel to their fire.

Freaking complainers are worse in my opinion. Especially since there are already SEVERAL soulutions.

Don't read chat

Turn it off

Turn on language filter

/ignore

It is not like there are words that you are forced to hear. You have to actually read the bloody chat. Don't do it.

Pretty simple solution.

edit

FFS just the simple logistics of having each gen chat, for each planet/zone, on every server, 24/7. Well over a hundred people.

Ill take 10 decent programmers fixing bugs over something that is easily avoided.

Your solution is for people to forgo the use of a tool for communication so that those who decide to not adhere to the ToS and the RoC can continue doing so in peace?

I like the idea of enforcing the rules more.

Agreed, people using the internet as a shield against consequences is lame. I feel sorry for all those people who feel that attention gained by stupidity is ok. It really makes me wonder just how old some of these people are. I'd like to assume they are teenagers (lets face it teenagers are a rowdy dis-respectful bunch these days) My parents are baby boomers and they even say today's teenagers have worse mouths and attitudes than ever before. Yet, it would be closed-minded to assume one age group is the culprit. It makes me ask, "would you talk to your mom with that mouth?" The usual response is "my mom's dead" or "no but i'll use it on your mom tonight" type of response. REALLY? Other's response to why they troll in general, "I have a ****** job, ****** life, someone else screwed it up for me, therefore I have a god given right to persecute any and all I feel deserve it." REALLY? Come on people grow up.

I'm not trying to defend them of course, however, in any argument both sides must be represented

Sadly, nothing I can do or say will change the attitudes of some people. Lets face it, some people are jerks who don't care about anything other than themself and their own happiness. They don't care that they offend someone. Offending people makes them laugh, which is why the continue to do it.

SO how do you beat the bully?

Solution: You take the bully's power away. Turn off gen chat, /ignore people, /report them, create tickets stop being lazy, and for the love of pete don't respond to them. Responses give them fuel to test their constant douchey behavior.

Now we can all hope that someday I learn to teleport and said trolls find themself getting noses slammed into keyboards from behind everytime they start up. Trust me I wish I could do us all this favor. Alas with great power comes great responsibility and if I could teleport trust me i'd be saving people, not hammering trolls faces into their keyboards over and over again. But we can all have hopes and dreams.

Props to all the people who choose to behave in a responsible constructive manner i'm on your side.

-Ifo 50 Seer The Shadowlands

If you want regulation because you don't like that others can act in a way that you find deplorable, then tough. If it were that easy then I would report everyone that complains in gen chat about what others are saying because I find that more deplorable then what is being said by some 12 yr old that doesn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy so he has to use trolling to get people to talk to him.

No, it's NOT that 'tough'. If enough people like me report TOS violations WHEN they occur, then the offensive parties and undesirable element will hopefully be slapped with suspensions. I don't whine about it, I simply use the tools available to me.

People who report ACTIONABLE offenses won't get in trouble just because you don't like following rules set in place. Chat logs won't condemn them....they condemn the rule breakers. Get over yourself.

So yeah....it IS that easy.