Class Feedback

Bodyguard/PVP

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes?

Own team - they prefer having an Operative healer

2. How do you perceive your own spec?

I rolled a bodyguard, because it sounded like a though character who can stand his own and protect his allies (not so much interested in killing). And he really looks tough. Unfortunately it turned out to be a kolto spamming baby that everyone must take care of. The playstyle of a bodyguard comes down to:

1. Stay hidden in the most boring places of the map where noone can see you and spam your 3 healing buttons.

2. When someone sees you - ALWAYS run away in the face of danger and NEVER try to fight back. Now...who chooses a "Bodyguard" to behave like this? Not me for sure so I rolled a Jugg and don't play this joke anymore.

The name "bodyguard" of this build is just absolutely not suitable and leads to misinterpretations and disappointments.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so replying again after having tried out the Merc Pyro.

1. somehow sees this as inferior to other damage dealing classes.

2. i have switched from bodyguard to pyro and even in my combat medic gear i am topping dps charts. not really sure what the problem with this spec is here. its a lot of fun and the damage output is great. just keep track of your dots and put them on everyone. throw your grenade whenever its up and rail shot ur way to victory. No huge issues here honestly.

I'm a Bodyguard Mercenary.

1. I often feel looked down upon by the other healers; I'm definitely perceived as the weakest healing class. However, I can hold my own if I play to my strengths: free minor heals on-demand, strong single-target healing, and directed, predictable-value heals. I'm not flashy, but I get the job done.

2. Personally, I really like where my merc is at. I've got the strictest resource-management requirements of any healer, a terrible AOE, and absolutely no viable HOT's; however, I wouldn't change it for anything-- except the AOE. I know people like to complain about merc's being poorly-built (or worse yet, Nerfed =X), but it's extremely fun for me because it's so difficult.

Edited by WhiskeyGin
Wordy, needs cleaning

[Healing] Underpowered in ops, due to limited ability to deal with spiky damage. Generally less desirable than sorceror healers, yet still more desirable than operatives.

[Healing] Really poor in PvP, quite fun but highly stressful in PvE. Even though I have good sustained healing ability, I do lack tools that notably sorcs have like full group regen/healing (AE) and damage mitigation (kolto shells is a joke now - needs an armor component or something to make up for the nerf). Overheats too quick in high damage / spike situations, regens heat too slowly after to recover, almost guaranteing raid wipe - Vent heat did certainly not need a nerf without a (significant) cooldown reduction as well.

Suggested fix for Kolto Shell now that it has a heat cost, is to allow it to be active on more people at once.

Edited by Asavrede

I play, or have played, all 3 specs, so I want to comment on all 3.

Arsenal - In PVE, totally middle of the road... nothing special, nothing that makes you a liability, so entirely adequate and nothing more. In PVP, annoying if ignored and left to free-cast, but free kills for anyone remotely competent. So basically, underpowered in both PVE and PVP (nothing compelling in either environment, and wearing a giant, neon "Kill Me" sign in PVP).

Pyro - In PVE, like a Pyro PT, but worse. In PVP, like a Pyro PT, but worse. So basically, underpowered in PVE and PVP (straight-up inferior to the same spec on the other AC in all situations).

Bodyguard - Great single-target healing throughput, lame group healing throughput. In PVE, good for FPs and Heroics, but not ideal for Operations. In PVP, annoyingly sturdy, but fairly immobile and thus easy to manage. So, basically, underpowered in high-end PVE and decent in PVP.

Arsenal - In PVE, totally middle of the road... nothing special, nothing that makes you a liability (other than the lack of an interrupt), and thus no real reason to consider bringing one except as a space filler (because who wants mediocrity?). In PVP, utterly useless due to the entire design of the spec. It's a casting-heavy turret with pathetically little ability to maintain range, and very little ability to avoid being locked down (so basically, a Marksmanship Sniper but shockingly more awful in every way). Not exactly underpowered in PVE, but lacking any real distinguishing characteristic to make the spec desirable, and underpowered in the extreme in PVP.

Pyro - In PVE, more work to get similar results as compared to Arsenal. In PVP, like a Pyro PT, but worse (good mobility, but reliant on channeled attacks to proc Prototype Particle Accelerator, no real tools to consistently gain the space to use said channeled attacks on demand, and no guaranteed proc on Combustible Gas Cylinder to reliably kite anything). So basically, underpowered the whole way around (more work for same results = sub-optimal, same/more work for worse results = obviously sub-optimal).

Bodyguard - Great single-target healing throughput, lame group healing throughput. In PVE, good for FPs and Heroics, but the cruddy AoE healing and overall group healing throughput is a detriment in Operations (almost always requires pairing with a Sorc or Op, and always the "redheaded stepchild" of the pair due to overspecialization on single-target heals and poor resource system). In PVP, sturdy but frustratingly immobile and frustratingly poor at group/AoE healing (and with the way most WZs go, single-target healing throughput doesn't matter too much against focus fire or heavy AoE). Definitely underpowered in high-end PVE (neither Op nor Sorc is dependent on another class to cover for their deficiencies in an Operation environment), and decent but frustrating to play in PVP.

Edited by Omophorus

arsenal

PVE - decent

PVP - weak. I can do quite a bit of damage but then again so can other classes who don't require a full team to take care of them, very easy to shut down.

Boring, it simply revolves around mashing a single key to get your tracer missile stacks and then waiting for a random 'proc' to use other abilities. It does have good spike damage but the defensive abilities are lacking as compared to other classes.

My merc is not my main so despite being 50 I have limited end game experience with this AC.

Healing Spec Merc, PvE only

1) I rarely if ever see/play with/hear about heals spec Merc.

2) Respeced after 1.2, no plans to go back to healing.

Pryo Spec Merc, PvE only

1) Most people seem to think it's a lesser version of the Powertech Pyro and at best middle of the road DPS.

2) I really enjoy playing my Pyrotech but it is my only DPS character so I don't have a good frame of reference for how it compares to other classes. I do feel it is a little over reliant on the RNG for dumping heat though and not having an interrupt is *very* hard to adjust to.

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes? (PvP, Mercenary Bodyguard.)

They perceive us as very immobile healing tanks. Just like dps mercenaries, we are more susceptible then other classes to interrupts, thus more easily manageable then other healers in rated warzones.

Our survive-ability under extreme focus is much better then other healers, but our sustained output is much less.

Although we can talent into the pyro tree, gyroscopic alignment jets, our heals cost too much, so our sustain under intense healing is less. The redesigned terminal velocity, a two point talent up the arsenal tree, reduces heat generation much more then our readjusted 3 point critical efficiency. Our redesigned Kolto-shell either should have a halved heat cost, or have the single target restriction removed. Our talented cure, should actually heal for something comparable to the kolto missile. Also the redesigned supercharged gas only adds two percent heals during intense healing situation. And since the nerf to critical efficiency, we can only use one or two healing scans during the duration while maintaining a favorable heat blance. Thus Supercharge gas is utilized as a miniature heat dump to maintain less then 40 heat, then for any of it's secondary effects. Our redeeming feature is our talented energy shield which allows us to survive for a set amount of time each fight.

1. How do you think your Mercenary spec is perceived by other classes? (Pvp Pyrotech)

We are the under powered cousin of the powertech pyrotech. In rateds, our damage and utility is second class to all other classes.

While we do have the awesome ability to rain death from afar mercenaries require certain changes. Our powershot was overtuned after the 1.2 patch. Although our unload and rail shot have been buffed we still require some more changes. Unlike flameburst, powershot does not have a greater chance at proccing combustible gas cylinder then rapid shot, which means power techs are much better at kiting melee then mercenaries. Our powershot should have a 50% chance of proccing combustible gas cylinder talented. Without a cover mechanic it is difficult for us to deal with most classes

I like the class, but there is 1 thing that bothers me: Unload gets stuck a lot. He just keeps shooting the corpse like some maniac and in pvp it draws a lot of unwanted attention. Also: the female merc has some kind of trouble with long hikes and after a while she acts like she was hired by the ministry of silly walks.

Please fix it. ;)

Edited by Erikusz

Bodyguard, great for single target. Terrible for aoe/group. I'm not sure we're as useful as other healing classes, no interrupt, no pull, no stealth, no speed.

I miss the survivability we had at release, I find Kolto Shell to be quite useless. Would like something done to it to make it interesting/worth re-casting in a fight(temporary shield/damage reduction?)

Kolto shell should be a hot

1.The only viable speck is bodyguard

2.Pyro gives me more mobility but is so lacking compared to the easy mode powertech pyro,s

and for the love of Buddha give us a escape mechanism with slow or a interrupt

Easy kill, and a weak link if on your team. If heal spec its a pass if DPS please leave WZ so we can get a PT/Pyro or a Marauder, or maybe a Rage Jugg(the AC/spec I play now that my Merc is a Joke for PvP).

I play the 2 dps specs.

Pyro is inferior to PT/Pyro in DMG due to higher proc rates, and off talent dmg boosts, and we have no real way to kite to compensate for PT's Gap closer. Our snare is not as reliable as PT, and we have no root ability to stop gap closers.

Arsenal- This spec is good in PvE, but in PvP is a total loss..No mobility, and its completely shut down by interupts which are abundant in the game...Minus Merc of course(every dmg proc, mitigation buff, armor debuff all attached to one interuptable ability). We have no root so KB is just helpful to the Warrior class by giving them resources and Jugg's a 10% dmg boost, and doesnt stop Sprint, grapple/Leap from happening immediatly after KB...which has double the CD of all gap closers. Arsenal has zero ability to get DMG out while under attack.

In Summary: Bopdyguard is a nice spec. Both DPS tree's are completely lacking utility/Survival skills, One of Which Arsenal is seriously suffering...Although Arsenal is a decent PvE spec...it can be easily replaced by the other ranged AC's which would bring more to the table then Merc.

Edited by Soljin

1. I don't know how others see my Mercenary. I only play solo with this character.

2. This has been the only character with whom I managed to solo ALL heroic missions going from 1 to 45, including some Flashpoints. I did Heroic 4 missions 2-3 levels above the mission and flashpoints 3-4 levels above the flashpoint level. Normal missions and heroic 2 were a breeze. Tough, self healing, high dps, ability to kite and shoot, healer companion "from day one"... the ideal solo character to level up (maybe with tank assassin/shadows).

Edited by Sarezar

An easy target. A liability in ranked warzones. A weak class.

As a burst dps class that cannot do burst dps anymore. Heatseeker is not reliable or stong as our best ability should be. The Merc class is not fun to play anymore as a dps.

1. How do others perceive the mercenary class?

I play an arsenal spec. I keep track of every aspect of my PVP. I have 5 pieces of War Hero gear, and the rest are Battlemaster. My average damage in each pvp environment ranges from 135 in Novare Coast to 175 in Huttball and Void Star. People perceive mercenaries as instant commendations. We're a joke! We don't do nearly enough damage for being turrets and not having solid defense, and in 1v1 situations we are dead.

2. How do you perceive the class?

I perceive my arsenal mercenary as a once great class that was nerfed to death. Make our tracers mobile or make them more powerful or make our unload and heatseekers more powerful, but you have to do something!

[PvP Arsenal]: Free kill. I really don't PvP on my Merc because of this.

[PvE Arsenal]: Decent damage, but no Mara. Dummy (I don't know why, but Mercs tend to have a reputation on my server of being mechanics-dumb).

[PvP Arsenal]: Free kill. Just interrupt me and my debuffs are destroyed, killing most of my dps.

[PvE Arsenal]: Good DPS, if done right. IMO, Arsenal DPS can be just as good as, say, a Marauder (and infact I top the DPS charts in my HM EC raids). However, it's harder to reach your max DPS output that it is for other classes (aka, Mara's), hence the reason Mercs are usually behind in DPS.

One thing we definitely need is an interrupt. The only AC without an interrupt? I understand this could make PvP unbalanced for us (I guess, I don't PvP anymore as a Merc), so just make it unusable on players. The interrupt is sorely missed in raiding.

PVE Arsenal spec endgame raiding ,never done any PVP

OK DPS , easily replaced by any other DPS class , no meaningful op wide buff offensive or defensive for raiding compared to other DPS classes

Underpowered ,have to fight hard to squeeze every extra DPS i can muster to compete with other DPS (and fail most of the time) ,if i have to move forget it , Disapointing considering once you spec into Arsenal you are pure DPS who fall considerably short in comparison to other DPS classes, I thought all DPS were ment to be within 5% of each other

PvP: static-road-kill, easyly CCed so that no dammaged is comming out. Mercary is a easy kill.

PvE: ok dps, not so much needed healing unless in some tank and spank scenarios. less utility after 1.2 and 1.3 after so meny nerfs.

PvP: Static+casting is so bad in PvP that a reroll after 6 months was needed. My 30 level operative outperforms my Warhero mercenary by far. Healing: with a green trace leading to a static casting player it's like a sign saying " this guy doesnt know it yet but he is soon dead as a doornail".

PvE: ok dps in most operations, a bit boring with such few buttons to press. Healingwise not needed after 1.2 compared to other classes.

Edited by Svarteryttaren

Hi Folks,

my Merc is an Arsenal!

PvP: LoL,free Kill!

PvE: Nice Damage,but no Interrupt Skill! Thats really bad!

PvP: I don`t PvP!

PvE: Whell,i like my Merc in PvE! The Damage is ok,but i really want an Interrupt Skill!

And Pls fix DfO ! The Damage is still nice but the Range of it is still so useless!

Give it the old Range it had before 1.2 and it would be ok,but with this small Range and the Kick of the

Mobs with the first Rocket is really stupid!

Bodyguard spec (PvP and PVE)

1. How others perceive our class

PVE: The weakest of the healers, mox parser tells them so.

PVP: Can be a good healer, can stand in the fire more than the other healers. Won't top the charts in healing though and operative healer widely regarded as the best for PVP.

2. How I perceive my class

PVE: Mercs healing output was clipped much lower than the other classes in 1.2. SCG isn't used much because all the benefits were cut to 5%. In high damage situations, Mercs weaknesses show because Rapid scan is the only non-rs heal without a cooldown and at 25 heat we hit the heat cap quickly. I have concern that as newer content finally arrives that we're all starved for, merc healers will be perceived as liabilities compared to the much higher raw healing output of a sorc or op and lose their spots in leading edge raid groups. Ask the 16man competitive guilds how many merc healers they run with right now.

PVP: The situation is better for merc healing in PVP. Heat isn't as much of an issue it seems like. Our heavy armor and shield give us some survivability that makes up some for our low mobility. I wish we had one more escape tool.

I have played all 3 advanced classes in lvl 50 pvp and pve.

1) bodyguard: decent heals, tank like, but easily distracted / interrupted in pvp.

Arsenal: Total joke of a class, often a free kill, and eats up team resources (heals and protection), only viable in pve.

pyro: decent burst damage giver if ignored, easily killed, consumes team resources, pvp only

(in general for all 3 builds, the merc is considered a second par version of another class, most often the sniper)

2) bodyguard: plays well, could use some mobility, feels stronger for its role than a sorc but much weaker than an op.

arsenal: Ok at pve, nothing really unique about the class, under par to other dps at lvl 50, total joke in pvp.

pyro: debatably the most fun build to play, sub par in dps, needs proper knock-backs and mobility.

(find that it can be unique but that the ability's that are unique are a disadvantage to use. )

In group PVE: he's allright damage wise.

In solo PVE: he's okay but lacks of at least one interrupt.

In PVP: LMAO! I stopped playing him in pvp, he sucks.

Arsenal, lacks in mobility, has too many casting attacks that can be interrupted and possess nothing else to help his team.

I would really like to ask Bioware for a free character class switch please, wanna trade my rakata merc for a rakata maraudeur, or even for a rakata sniper, thx in advance.

Edited by yoomazir

I like the class a little more utility i think we need a way to get around the corner faster also old tracer missile animation back please and more mobility with arsenal a lot of people say we need instant cast but i think we need to have the skill tree setup in a way to make tracer missile a very fast cast like 1 second or maybe even .5 seconds something that makes us not have to stand still some much so we can get away if needed but something that still allows us to be turrets. I am not 100% sure on this im still new to mmo but it just a thought.

1. other players seem to think we're weak and (especially for healers) don't want us in their group.

2. as far as healing goes, we're actually as effective as the other healing classes, if not more- I really like how some of their heals can buff their target as a bonus.

1. How others perceive our class?

I PvP, and thats it.. With that said, Arsenal is a priority kill because it has low survivability and defensive capability with good damage potential. If you let an Arsenal spec merc sit on a position and have uncontested overwatch status, he's going to cause alot of problems. So you kill him fast. Pyro mercs are slippery, but they don't hit hard enough to run you out of a fight unless they get the drop on you. So always keep eyes open for them. They're easy kills, but they can hurt if you don't put them down.

2. How do I perceive my class?

Classic case of good idea with poor execution. No mobility in the arsenal spec with no suppression against opponents means you make a good target. I can do damage in arsenal, but when an intelligent player sees me, he knows to force me to move around. Just by forcing me to displace he has taken me out of the fight. Impossible to consistently perform in any scenario that doesn't involve me not being left alone.

Pyro is a pale shadow compared to it's mirror. Everyone and their dog knows it. The spec has better mobility than Arsenal, but suffers from a lack of anything resembling a strong defensive capability. Snare is pointless when most of the targets after us use leap or sprint... or turret anyway... so it has limited usefulness to the spec. If snares blocked the use of those abilities, then maaaaaaybe. But as it is, merc is a AC that you stopped paying any real attention to.