Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Can I sulk and say I had my eye on Talos? :D

I was disappointed to find out Talos wasn't a romance option (for any gender) - he's just so adorable! It would be afternoon tea and bunches of flowers and stuttering and blushing over ancient Sith artifacts :D

He would just be a nice classical option against Andronikus's bad-boy image and Pierce's rough-and-ready attitude (Pierce should also totally be an SGRA, he seems to be appreciate power and physical aspects - an attraction to danger, which is why he goes for the Warrior? I don't know, don't really remember much about the Pierce romance...)

Edit: I learnt a new word! Sapiosexual :D Talos, maybe?

Edited by Tatile

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are people of all types in the world and none of them are more or less valid than each other. The issue comes in when a group tries to claim that ALL people of a certain subsection of society are the same.

I know more than one woman who could be considered extremely 'butch' who're straight as arrows. I know women who are as femme as can be and are lesbians. I also know butch lesbians and femme heterosexuals - and the whole range on the male side, too. You just can't tell.

Also, here's something I think is utterly critical that people should remember: our concepts of 'stereotype' are based around how these sexualities have been portrayed and treated in our universe, which Star Wars is not. There's every chance that the wider galactic community (yes, even the passionate Sith) don't care who you jump in bed with. If that's the case then those stereotypes would simply not exist.

That's what I see as being the case in Mass Effect 3. Cortez and Traynor weren't a gay and a lesbian that joined the military. They were a man and a woman who joined the military, who also just happened to be homosexual - and far from being intimidated by it, those around them were entirely comfortable (as shown by the friendly banter between Cortez and Vega).

I think that these fears are well-founded but needless. Bioware seems to have learned from the reception of its Dragon Age 2 character, Serendipity (who, for the record, I actually quite liked). I get that this is a different group doing it but they'd be stupid to make the same mistakes, and while I think many things about BW:A, I don't think they're stupid.

Hell, in Dragon Age 2 the one woman who was arguably more butch than Varric - Aveline - was straight (and unavailable to Hawke - I was so sad when I learned that). It takes all types, and Bioware know that.

In all honesty I have no issues with personality types that we limited mortals see as 'stereotypical' as long as they're not the only ones in existence - because people who conform to stereotypes do actually exist. And a bit of flexibility in that would be great - an effeminite man who's straight, a butch woman who's bi, a huge hunky sex-god dude... who's asexual.

I'm talking wider than just the companion characters, of course, but you get my point (I hope).

In all honesty I have no issues with personality types that we limited mortals see as 'stereotypical' as long as they're not the only ones in existence - because people who conform to stereotypes do actually exist. And a bit of flexibility in that would be great - an effeminite man who's straight, a butch woman who's bi, a huge hunky sex-god dude... who's asexual.

I'm talking wider than just the companion characters, of course, but you get my point (I hope).

This is what I was trying to get at, obviously I was doing a poor job of it. Yes, I get your point.

Can I sulk and say I had my eye on Talos? :D

I am afraid I think it is likely that you will get him. And if that is the only option offered to SI, then that is unfortunate.

We don't know that SGRs will be available for every class or, even if they are, that there will be SGRs for both genders. That is another thing they have not clarified. Looking at the current roster of Smuggler companions, ruling out the Wookiee and the squid we're left with Corso as a potential male romance.

But what if Corso is not a companion who "makes sense" to the writers? Maybe, based on what I have seen of the male Smuggler experience, the writers decided it didn't "make sense" for male Smugglers to be offered a same-gender romance option at all. Want your SGR on a smuggler? Roll a female toon and romance Risha!

I wish I could say that scenario seems unlikely but... after levelling a male Smuggler, with all of the heavy-handed presumption of heterosexuality, it really wouldn't surprise me at all.

a huge hunky sex-god dude... who's asexual.

Break my heat why don't you? :p

Oh absolutely. While I might disagree with someone constantly using stereotypes in their works, I would never dream of questioning someone if that's their personality. Also stereotypes do have their uses, particularly so if you're using them to challenge people's perceptions.

I am afraid I think it is likely that you will get him. And if that is the only option offered to SI, then that is unfortunate.

We don't know that SGRs will be available for every class or, even if they are, that there will be SGRs for both genders. That is another thing they have not clarified. Looking at the current roster of Smuggler companions, ruling out the Wookiee and the squid we're left with Corso as a potential male romance.

But what if Corso is not a companion who "makes sense" to the writers? Maybe, based on what I have seen of the male Smuggler experience, the writers decided it didn't "make sense" for male Smugglers to be offered a same-gender romance option at all. Want your SGR on a smuggler? Roll a female toon and romance Risha!

I wish I could say that scenario seems unlikely but... after levelling a male Smuggler, with all of the heavy-handed presumption of heterosexuality, it really wouldn't surprise me at all.

I won't disagree with you that it would be unfortunate if Talos were to be the only option. Andronikos seems to be something of a womaniser, but that doesn't rule out him being bisexual or something along those lines. Let's hope there is some choice for the players who prefer him.

I hope Corso is an option. He was another one of those companions I hoped would be in for SGRA. Your post has got me worrying about what "makes sense" to the writers, too. It would suck mightily if there was no SGRA option for male smugglers, to the point that I think I would delete both of mine.

I do hope that this thread genuinely is read, as it is these concerns – not the presence or absence of SGRs per se – that this thread is meant to address and have clarified. It's impossible to please everyone, and I understand that. But it also is important that those creating this content know that simply including some token options for some genders of some classes would look pretty pitiful after over a year's lead-time for anticipation.

If the Bioware writing team is as good as it's claimed to be, then hopefully they've already addressed the issues of just throwing in a couple of tokens and washing their hands of it. It would be nice if we could have some clarification on this (i.e. no, we're not taking the easy route of copy pasta'ing in stereotypes of "you've got a gay") but considering how silent the company has been on this subject that's just another thing we'll have to wait for.

I must say that this is a pitiful example of "clarification". They should just rename the thread to "Same Gender Relationships Discussion" because we have had zero meaningful input from Bioware.

We are stuck with the original, long-out-of-date initial two posts of this thread, as well. In actuality, SGR discussion is what this thread has had to become, as any topics relating to SGRs are redirected here.

Ostensibly, yes, we want these points clarified. I have not been holding my breath, but I would still like some sort of response from those in the know.

On the other hand, this thread now serves two other functions as well or better: One, a place to express concern for this content and its implementation and to be a visible reminder that we are in fact looking forward to it, and don't you forget it. And the other role it plays is simply to be where misconceptions regarding the coming SGRs can be addressed out of what information we have managed to gather together.

So it is worthwhile, regardless. But I agree that some clarification would be nice.

Some of us girls like the 'butch' variety thanks - and the girlie variety and the ones in-between too for that matter.

Not that I wouldn't mind new companions further down the line, romance-able or not, but from a resources/finances point of view, it would make more sense to open up some of the existing companions first before adding new ones with later class-story expansions.

I have to say, while I'm here, the little bit of info re Makeb and possible inclusion with that content has brought me back to playing again after a few months not really bothering - I'm trying to get my cyborg BH to 50 so when SGRAs do arrive, I'll be all set to make my cyborg JK for (hopefully) Kira :cool:

(That's if my laptop will stop playing silly mares with me - I think she's annoyed I keep switching games after an hour or so lately hehe)

Your tagline was what I wanted to quote (but can't) because you quoted Ray Muzyka calling SGR's important. He's retiring from BioWare and EA. That should tell you something bad about the hope of SGR's making it into the game before the last lights go out.

As far as I can determine, Jeff Brown is still EA's VP of corporate communications, and last April, responding to questions regarding the intense lobbying efforts of socially conservative groups challenging EA's stance on inclusiveness, he said:

EA has not been pressured by any groups to include LGBT characters in our games. However, we have met with LBGT groups and sponsored industry forums to discuss content and harassment of players in online forums. In short, we do put options for same-sex relationships in our games."

It's not just a BioWare thing. It's something EA, BioWare and LucasArts are agreed on. I don't think the retirement of this, that or the other executive is going to change that at this stage of the game.

I got a chance to read the article months back, but I hadn't thought of it in awhile. I did make sure to embed the link. That way it helps save the FAQ from getting too much bigger, and the full article is easy to reach.

If anyone here hasn't read that article, check it out. It's a good one. :D

Edit: I had to pull up my favorite quote from the article:

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment,"

Edit #2: Are there any quotes in particular that you guys think that should be onto the FAQ other than the one Uluain mentioned earlier?

Edited by natashina

It's an old point but very well-phrased. Let's put a few things on the tables, though:

The critical response to the newer trilogy of movies was, to put it mildly, not entirely in Lucas's favour. Nonetheless he stuck to his guns and faced down a planet of fans who were all going, 'Mitichlorians? Double-you tee eff, George?' George Lucas is not a man to be swayed by popular opinion of approved content (for good or ill).

Both he and Lucasfilm have donated to same-sex equality causes. I'm sure people could dig up the specifics, but the point is they haven't been shy about doing so.

George Lucas also maintains an iron grip on certain aspects of the Star Wars universe. When a specific card in a print run of the Star Wars collectible card game showed a bunch of Yoda-species people standing around a statue worshipping it he had the entire print run of cards pulped rather than let a single one of that card into the world. If he or Lucasarts were so opposed to the subject then Ms Traviss's book would never have made it to print. There would also be no same sex content in any of the previous Star Wars games (I haven't played them but I'm told there were same sex options in the KotOR games).

So truly I don't believe Mr Lucas or Lucasarts are behind this. And if by some unexpected tragedy they are behind it then I've no doubt it will eventually come to light.

First - thanks for clarification. I tried to dig through this thread but it's somewhat of a long read. The KOTOR content you are referring to would be Juhani, I guess. She was supposed to be a female/female romance but it was cut down to a kind of friendship in the end. I don't recall any other SGR options there.

I really hope they'll stick to their promise and bring some SGR content in. Hopefully with some interessting companions as well.

First - thanks for clarification.

No problem at all, and welcome to the thread.

I tried to dig through this thread but it's somewhat of a long read. The KOTOR content you are referring to would be Juhani, I guess. She was supposed to be a female/female romance but it was cut down to a kind of friendship in the end. I don't recall any other SGR options there.

Juhani is the one, if I recall correctly. I never played them so I couldn't say for sure.

I really hope they'll stick to their promise and bring some SGR content in. Hopefully with some interessting companions as well.

Honestly, I still have faith. It's bruised faith but still there. I was very impressed with the inclusion in ME3 and I'm hoping for more of the same here.

No problem at all, and welcome to the thread.

Juhani is the one, if I recall correctly. I never played them so I couldn't say for sure.

Honestly, I still have faith. It's bruised faith but still there. I was very impressed with the inclusion in ME3 and I'm hoping for more of the same here.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was a fan of both KOTOR games... and I admit I wanted a male romance for either Carth or Canderous... got me nicely flamed in some forums too. :D

I so agree with you on ME 3. I was so amazed that even my hacked romance save from ME1 worked near perfect when I transferred it over to 3. So maybe I should take your example and not give up early.

When Gabe Amatangelo gave his interview, he seemed not entirely sure when SGRs were coming, as he is the lead PvP guy, not Story. But he was not at all uncertain that the content is in development and in fact slated for inclusion, if not with Makeb (which, given comments about Makeb being the Story content patch, seems likely) then at least in the not-too-distant future.

Hopefully, the Community Team will be able to tell us more soon.

And yes, there is a ton to read through here, a lot of it griping about not getting info. If you have specific questions, though, do ask as some of us do know what has (and hasn't) been said and are happy to clarify.

Hey, as long as she doesn't talk lower than Akaavi and look like she could kill The Hulk, and I can see my female toons making out with her, I'm good to go. Tbh, I can't even romance Akaavi with my male smuggler. In spite of Stacy Haiduk (who I've loved ever since The New Adventures of Superboy) I just can't do it. Not into bodybuilder type ladies, here. :)

I haven't made up my mind on how to handle this on my male Smuggler. He's been so set on getting into Risha's pants since he met her, so I suppose it could be fun to have him completely changing his mind after meeting Akaavi.

But, on the other hand, I do plan to play a female Smuggler eventually, and I wouldn't want to do the same romance twice. That's why I feel I should probably wait for some sort of announcement here, before I progress too far.

And I don't take any more issue with bodybuilder women than bodybuilder men. There's just a limit to how big any person can get before it stops being attractive. (Although, since this is roleplaying, I'd have no problem with doing a romance outside of what I find attractive.)

First - thanks for clarification. I tried to dig through this thread but it's somewhat of a long read. The KOTOR content you are referring to would be Juhani, I guess. She was supposed to be a female/female romance but it was cut down to a kind of friendship in the end. I don't recall any other SGR options there.

Juhani was my first BioWare romance, sort of. I had been walking down the romance path with Carth, but he creeped me out completely when he made that big public announcement of his love near the end of the game, so I believe I ran back into the Ebon Hawk... and that's where Juhani confessed her feelings for Revan, and Revan got the chance to do the same. It was clearly more than a friendship, but it just ended abruptly after the confession.

That said, it's also implied that Juhani and her fellow padawan Belaya had feelings for each other, which made the Jedi Masters want to keep them apart. In fact, if Revan kills Juhani in the grove on Dantooine, Belaya will turn to the Dark Side and come back for revenge. :(

Edited by JediMB

I haven't made up my mind on how to handle this on my male Smuggler. He's been so set on getting into Risha's pants since he met her, so I suppose it could be fun to have him completely changing his mind after meeting Akaavi.

But, on the other hand, I do plan to play a female Smuggler eventually, and I wouldn't want to do the same romance twice. That's why I feel I should probably wait for some sort of announcement here, before I progress too far.

And I don't take any more issue with bodybuilder women than bodybuilder men. There's just a limit to how big any person can get before it stops being attractive. (Although, since this is roleplaying, I'd have no problem with doing a romance outside of what I find attractive.)

Here you go, Devs - a sterling example of a player who does not know which story to progress, and hence is unwilling to explore content, because we STILL don't know which companions will be available. C'mon - you can tell us! It won't spoil the game!

Here you go, Devs - a sterling example of a player who does not know which story to progress, and hence is unwilling to explore content, because we STILL don't know which companions will be available. C'mon - you can tell us! It won't spoil the game!

I still don't know why they can't at least tell us which companions are planned.

This isn't really a new feature as much as an alteration of an existing one.

I still don't know why they can't at least tell us which companions are planned.

This isn't really a new feature as much as an alteration of an existing one.

Could it be possible that they've written romance lines for all companions (hypothetically here) and now the project sits, waiting to be approved by some crusted, grey haired old man in a suit? Supposedly they had this done-ish at launch and still now they're unsure? Codswallop and bollocks.

I was feeling really rather bored and listless, so I sent a PM to Ms. Berryman on the back of my belief that no one actually reads this thread, let alone pays attention to the content therein. Perhaps not the best frame of mind to be attempting to contact someone in, but I figured I might as well :/

During the Guild Summit it was implied that SGRA's may be available for existing companions. Recently one of the PvP developers (I believe it was a Mister Gabe) said that he believed SGRA's would be available with or around the release of Makeb. Would it possible to get some information on which - if any - current companions will be getting same sex romance options added to their existing romance arcs?

I realise that this question has been asked innumerable times in the SGRA dedicated thread, but as you already know, no one has ever brought any new information to that thread.

Also, why is it that the only hint of confirmation on this subject we have had of late has been from a developer completely unrelated to the project and not, say, one of the writers themselves? Do the writers of SWTOR not conduct interviews or does no one ask to interview them? Could we possibly have a developer blog post from the writers or is that simply out of the question?