What's PvP like on Begeren?

Brillat

I find both factions have the same number of quality players, however the empire has far more idiots that can't even get the basics down. The republic also has far more veterens that solo queue than imp side.

You're going a bit to far. Those "idiots" are simply casual pvpers who aren't that experienced with warzones, let alone 50s. Insulting them only makes you look bad, not them. Everyone struggled with the basics at one point, and we all get through it on our own time. Best thing you can do is help them learn on the job so to speak. As far as pub side goes, veterans solo queuing? No. Its actually a larger pool of premades. Pub pugs may be good, hell probably the best on the server, but vets? Hardly.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone needs to get used to the idea that there will be a lot more rookies in warzones thanks to the double exp weekends. The game without those boosts does a terrible job making sure people learn to push their buttons, and a terrible job teaching them how to do pvp. With the exp boost everyone's going to run into a LOT more people who don't know what their or other toons buttons do at 50, and apparently they made the recruit gear quest less obvious, so you're going to run into a lot of tionese/quest green folk.

I started a new character on Begeren this past weekend to check out, during double xp.

Empire, Mara, got to level 42. Started at 12, as I actually started this Mara Thursday night.

It's obviously a small sample size, but my pvp results were:

1 PUG loss to Republic

19 PUG wins vs Republic

~60% win percent vs other Empire

Obviously 1-49 bracket. The insinuation would be that Imps are generally better (for the record, I played far more Imp vs Imp games than Imp vs Pub games), but it's two days of data from one person, during abnormal play conditions (double xp probably pulls in players who don't play the game otherwise; so possibly a lot more "new" + "casual" players that may skew results).

Again, I'm not trying to draw any concerete conclusions, and extrapolating pre-50 pvp to 50 pvp on any server is usually rather pointless, but I thought I'd throw that out there as my experience. Like all pugging, there are some seriously brain-dead games you'll play, as well as surprisingly very competent ones.

This is kind of interesting. I was queueing over the weekend, pub-side, had rep-vs-imp for the vast majority, and the team I was on won almost all of them (I was mostly solo-queueing). I think that 2x xp weekend may've skewed things, but it's been a while since I've leveled a toon.

The brain-dead games didn't happen often enough to make me want to cry, but one thing I found lame was the attitude in Alderaan seemingly having changed completely to giving up within the first 2 minutes. I'm used to, prior to me taking a break, the occasional game where people gave up and just afked at one node, but now it appears it's nearly every game the moment they're behind by a hundred points or so. My always having more medals than them, despite never guarding our one node would seem to indicate it's a faulty theory that you get more by sitting afk at one node and giving up, but what do I know.

I hate that aspect of Civil War, period... but it's fairly rare for me to see people flat-out give up before the point of no return, even when it's very clear that one of the teams is out-gunned. Again, I suspect 2x xp weekend had something to do with it, as I was in a couple warzones with people who clearly had no idea what the rules were (in a Novare: "It's 70-30, we've already lost." Uh, no....). And I was in a Huttball where someone on our team literally tried to throw the game for us, by getting the ball, running it into our own endzone, and waiting to be killed... "because the more warzones we do, the more xp we'll get." :rak_02:

IME, this isn't typical of our server.

As for latency (I'm currently living in Hawaii), I generally have 70ish ms ping, but occasionally it'll jump up to 5000 (yes, 5k) for a few seconds. Not often, but it was regular enough to be more than a random one-off thing. Annoyingly, always resulted in my death. I'll have to see if Harbinger has that issue. For the record, for the week or so I have played since back on Jung Ma, never had that occur on Jung Ma (though, it being an E. Coast server, I'm not particularly happy with the 140-200+ ping), so not sure if it's a server specific issue, or what's going on.

You know, it could also be ISP-related, rather than server distance. I switched from cable to fiber last year, and most of the time, it was great, but I'd experience random lag-spikes, just like what you're descriibing... sometimes enough to d/c me entirely, even though my connection itself hadn't dropped. Turned out I was too far from the phone company hub, so I had to switch back to cable, and everything was peachy-creamy again. Just a thought.

I think I was in most of those, Jens. I know I was in one where the guy ran to our end zone and stayed there dispite everyone screaming "wrong way" and "other way." He spent the rest of the WZ whispering people asking "how do I score?" And posting it in ops chat.

Granted, we could be referencing 2 diff WZs, but this is what happens, not only with 2x XP weekends, but with F2P in general.

As to balance, yeah, pretty even. It mostly depends on the time and day you que. I win about as many as I lose on both the 50s I pvp on.

I think I was in most of those, Jens. I know I was in one where the guy ran to our end zone and stayed there dispite everyone screaming "wrong way" and "other way." He spent the rest of the WZ whispering people asking "how do I score?" And posting it in ops chat.

Granted, we could be referencing 2 diff WZs, but this is what happens, not only with 2x XP weekends, but with F2P in general.

As to balance, yeah, pretty even. It mostly depends on the time and day you que. I win about as many as I lose on both the 50s I pvp on.

Believe it or not, we're talking about two different warzones. In mine, the player openly admitted to what we were doing, and spent the match cussing us out for being "too stupid to throw the match."

I haven't seen things like that, correlated w F2P, at least not at 50. I probably should've clarified, though, that F2P launched AFTER the last time I leveled my previous lowbie.

I solo que from time to time... but being a new GM ... sometimes you have to play with your guildies D:

Something I'm getting used to again as well. I rarely, if at all, ran with groups. Had to start with shadowfury, and now again with Retal. Its a whole different experience, but I like it. :)

Edited by PoliteAssasin

I used to premade so much in the Sumner, but a lot has changed since then. so many people quit PvP/The game so I don't have many to group with anymore. I rarely group now, so I tend to Solo Q a lot myself. It's a shame I'm losing interest in PvP, it was so fun back in the fall/summer.

I used to premade so much in the Sumner, but a lot has changed since then. so many people quit PvP/The game so I don't have many to group with anymore. I rarely group now, so I tend to Solo Q a lot myself. It's a shame I'm losing interest in PvP, it was so fun back in the fall/summer.

Ya ive got a friends list of 30 peeps from summer/fall. There tends to be 0 online nowadays, maybe 1 on peek hours :'(

Bah, you're saying you have to be in the same guild to group with someone?

No, but you would think if you had a group of friends in a guild you would get invited to that guild. And wouldn't get discriminated on just because your main is rep side.

Just because you have friends in a guild does not mean you should be in that guild. I know Ascension's policy is Imperial alts do not get in unless everyone is OK with it. Different factions can cause a lot of drama, and many guilds have strict policies to fight that. Grim's recruitment policy works very well for them, as far as I can see.

Also, it should be noted that Ascension has turned down a lot of imperial alt applications, many of whom have quite a few friends in guild.

Just because you have friends in a guild does not mean you should be in that guild. I know Ascension's policy is Imperial alts do not get in unless everyone is OK with it. Different factions can cause a lot of drama, and many guilds have strict policies to fight that. Grim's recruitment policy works very well for them, as far as I can see.

Also, it should be noted that Ascension has turned down a lot of imperial alt applications, many of whom have quite a few friends in guild.

I wasn't implying that. I was simply implying you would think by having friends it would increase the likelihood of you joining guild X. I understand guild policies however I disagree with policies that discriminate players based off which faction their main is on. Then again, it is no place for me to judge how another guild functions. Just my opinions =p

Edited by xContex

Bah, you're saying you have to be in the same guild to group with someone?

No no no! It's just a pain when you're not allowed to be a part of the largest PvP community on the imperial side. You're looking at it from the wrong perspective. :)

Guilds should be more about playing together with like minded people, I couldn't care less if one of the members of the guild I was in was the worst PVP player or the best. If they are willing to try then it is our job as a guild to help them be the best whatever they want to be. Probably the reason why we are a small guild with a tight knit community.

The only times we have had issues with people were mainly due to raging or respect to the veterans in the guild.

Most of the established guilds on this server whether PVE or PVP tend to act respectful to the other guilds and have a nice banter between them.

I would advise anyone (especially our new APAC members) to check out Melli's thread: Guild Directory to see the currently established guilds

Edited by bsbrad