Bounty Hunter Story: Review

Legendoom

So as of 43 minutes ago, I've finished the bounty hunter story. To be honest, I am very, very disappointed it didn't go longer! The story was superb, the companions were brilliant, the ship was meh at first, but it grew on me fast, and my voice was amazing. Here's my full review of the Bounty Hunter story, on the light side.

Act I:

As soon as Tarro Blood had Braden killed, I was visibly outraged. I swear to god I wanted to kill that man right out of the box, so there's a few points right there. No more then 15 minutes into the game, I have a nemesis, a goal, and something to strive for. By the time I finished on Hutta, I wanted to break in Nem'ro's sludgy face, I hated him so much. Dropping me in a rancor pit was probably the highlight of that story. When I got to Dromund Kaas, the story slowed a little, but I only noticed it in retrospect. The three bounties came and went, but I felt that the grand melee was much too easy, and was over too fast. I was really pissed when I couldn't kill Tarro after I got accepted into the great hunt, but stealing my ship definitely made up for that. Since I haven't played any other class, I don't know for sure, but that is probably the coolest way that any class gets their vessel. Balmorra was slow, and working for the lackey leiutenant irritated me to no end. However, when Murghir revealed herself, that was very surprising, and I had fun taking her out. Nar Shaddaa was neat, the Eidolan certainly was a hard man to reach, and my competition of Ugnaughts made me chuckle aloud (although I wish Anuli had lived, it was sweet how close he and Mako were). Tatooine was boring as hell in all other respects, but the class story and chasing after Tyresius was a blast, and to think the whole time I was looking for when I get Gault, I didn't expect that he'd be the guy I was hunting. Alderaan wasn't bad, though the fact that I had to deal with prissy Alderaanians all the time was infuriating, I wish I could have shot a few for good measure. The climax on the Aurora, with Tarro, Kellian Jarro and his apprentice was spectacular. I left Tarro to rot like the scum he was, and that was definitely one of the best moments of the story. I returned to Dromund Kaas as champion of the Great Hunt, before flying off to meet Mandalore, and my next mission.

Act II:

After passing Mandalore's little "test" (that beast had the COOLEST MODEL EVER), I went after the traitor on Taris. Working with Torian was fun, he was really a respectful and honorable hunter, definitely my type. I let him kill his father, and it really was a cool moment, them speaking in an alien language, I just felt the tension in the air. I had to do some groups and a bonus series to catch up after Taris, since I fell behind. Quesh was short and dumb apart from my class story, I was glad to have a new nemesis, albeit I thought Jarro's apprentice would be my nemesis, not some jedi master. Shame I had to kill her. Hoth was loooonnnggg, and the class quest wasn't terribly thrilling, killing some dude's lackeys just to get to him was a little weak, although the fact that I got Blizz made my whole day light up. After that, I went back to Nar Shaddaa to attend a party the other grand champions were throwing me, only to find that gosh darn jedi master who tried to kill me on Quesh was back, and had slaughtered my fellow champions. I killed his assassins, and promised I would make him pay. The next thing I knew, I was the Republic's Most Wanted, with a massive price on my head for crimes I didn't even commit, thanks to that damn jedi master. I knew **** was about to get real.

Act III:

Darth Tormen is a huge douche. I hated that guy from the second I looked at his face, and he only made it worse by force-choking Mako (who at that time was almost my wife). I went to Belsavis to capture the first of the Supreme Chancellor's leiutenants, and that was a long-*** time. Belsavis wasn't bad per se, there was just something about it that made me irk. Skadge only made it worse. I almost wanted to kill him too, except he ended up joining my ship in the end, something I still hate myself for. The guy is a massive headache. Voss was easygoing, not too bad at all, though I felt that the story wasn't going anywhere, I certainly didn't like playing nice with the Voss, just because they were an asset to my employers. Finally, Corellia rolled around, and I blasted my way through there in less than two days. Killing Sarros made me clench my fist at vanquishing another enemy, and from there it only got better. I went off-world to try and hit the Supreme Chancellor directly, and suceeded, until I met him. He was a remarkable man, and I didn't need much convincing to turn against Tormen. I went back to the Tyrant and killed that sith bastard, relishing in the fact that one of my potential enemies was gone. After the fight was over, the chancellor contacted me on my ship. He thanked me for my good judgement, pledged to clear my name, and said that his time in politics was over, and he would be stepping down. I wished him honor and respect wherever he may go, and flew off with my crew, into the blackness of space.

All in all, a truly fabulous story. Act One was brilliant and engaging, Act Two built my character, and Act Three was a fantastical finale. I'm willing to say that if you want to play SWTOR, you MUST try the bounty hunter. It's a class of honor, respect, and you can have a moral compass like no other. Mine pointed straight north, the only time I ever made a cold-blooded kill was in Act III, at the very end, which Mako, strangely, approved of. I feel like I was really a part of the story, and I'm disappointed that it's over. But next on my list is the Imperial Agent, and there'll be no ethical qualms there. Me and Kaliyo are going to take the galaxy by storm, even though we're flying under the radar.

Until next time, folks.

• 1 year later...

I liked Act 1 and most of act 2, but:

When the Jedi kill ALL your friends an ruin your party I was actually put off completely. I felt so terribly abandoned that I couldn't play the character more and I leveled up 2 other chars from 1 to 50 before I continued with my Bounty Hunter.

In my opinion the creators of the story should have given you *some* sign of life line.

Your close friends are dead.

Your friends are dead.

Your co-workers are dead.

You are the Republics most wanted.

The Empire distrust you.

I absolutely *hated* that part of complete and utter abandonment and almost felt like I would never go back to my Bounty Hunter again. Well, I did and now I have more than 1 Bounty Hunter, but I still feel that this is worthless scriptwriting. There should be some life line apart from your crew.

I couldn't disagree more. BH story is the worst of the 6 I've played and not better than the 7th I'm more than halfway through (trooper is the only story not played yet). Here's my counter critique:

Prelude and Act 1:

I knew Braden all of 15 minutes and then he dies. He did not nothing ot endear himself to me, and as such, didn't understand all the dialog options suggesting I wanted revenge - I didn't particularly care one way or the other. If he had died further in act and I had more interaction with him or he had taken a bullet for me, I think I would be more sympathetic. Second, the Great Hunt directly opposes the concept of warrior ethos and honor - Honorable hunters don't "hunt" sentients who don't agree to be hunted, that's referred to as murder. Every "bounty" involved killing when traditionally bounties are claimed dead or alive (IE Boba Fett deliverd Han Solo alive so there is a precedent). Finally, the BH is much too detached from the bounties - it wasn't like a group of prostitutes hired to me to kill some man for cutting up one of their girls ala Unforgiven. Bounties were delivered anonmously through an intermediary preventing me from understanding the motivation behind the bounty (except with enemies of the Empire). So I found the motivations in act 1 contrived and unconvincing.

Act 2:

Super secret and rare anonymous killing? Am I some kind of psychopath? Well at least I'm getting rich from the 5000 credits earned on these high profile hits. Again, the motivations for the bounties seems to be money only, and I wasn't really getting rich. Then I become the #1 target of the Republic? That seems a little extreme given that Sith and Moff's regularly destroy Republic starships.

Act 3:

Man! I'm so mad at the republic for being mad at me for killing their members. I'm gonna have to kill someone! More unmotivated killing IMO.

I guess overall, the BH was potrayed only as a mandelorian hitman and I don't feel that's entirely accurate. Further, the bounties are never adequately explained - simply go here and kill so&so. It would have been much better if each bounty had a back story.

On the plus side, the BH could easily thumb their nose at the Empire with no conflict of interest, I loved the gameplay (powertech pyro), and they do probably have the best VO.

Honestly I fall somewhere between Legendoom and Willhousefour.

Act 1 -

I was engaged and determined to win the great hunt (no chance of failure but still).

Act 2 -

being able to celebrate my win and take in bounties that no one else ever had made me feel invincible (again no chance of real failure but I was into the character

Act 3 -

I honestly wish I could have distanced myself from the Empire a LOT more. I felt like I was drafted in the military. I could not wait for it to be over.

Overall I liked the Bounty Hunter story.

I just wish I could have been more independent.

With these storylines you really can not make an objective assessment. It mostly comes down to one's preference. For example I am an "Empire guy" so obviously I enjoyed IA, SW and SI by far the most. Even as kid, watching the Original Trilogy, I always preferred the Empire. I kinda dislike the Jedi and the Republic therefore I didn't enjoy JC, Trooper and JK that much. Especially I dislike the Trooper and its overall "Sir yes sir! For the Republic!" mentality. Makes me feel like some hardcore brainwashed USA "patriot" (no offence meant).

I think if someone likes the idea of BH and enjoyed Boba Fett character in the films he will probably find BH story line decent and enjoyable. I mean it is not as intriguing as IA storyline since obviously the class concept is completely different but I think it has all the elements to satisfy "BH kind of guys".

Edited by Path-x

Just finished the BH story today and wanted to give my two cents. I felt like it did a really good job of capturing the feel of what my 9 year old self imagined a Boba Fett story would be like when I played with the mail order action figure as a kid. I went generally light side on my choices, played my BH as my idea of an honorable Mandalorian hunter, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I absolutely loved the BH story. Taking down the bounties on your rise to Grand Champion, and Tarro Blood along the way, was very satisfying. And the turns your situation takes after with the Black List, Jun Seros, the Republic, and Darth Tormen were really intriguing.

And the BH companions are the best - they remind me of the crew of Serenity from Firefly. They were like my family by the time I hit level 50. Leveling a BH is just fantastic.

... damn, I might just have to roll another one.

I played a mostly light sided BH. So I did take some dark side choices.

Loved the line "This is for Braden. This is for Mako." when finishing him off, but I wanted my BH to say "And this is for me!"

My only real complaint about the BH storyline that I love btw, is I want more anti empire choices. Though for all the things I did against the Empire with my choices, I found it funny they kept hiring me. :p

Haven't finished the Bounty Hunter story (In fact, I've only finished the Inquisitor one. I'm playing casually) but I'm really enjoying it so far. About halfway through Chapter 2 and it's good fun. It has a few dips now and then but I have a Jawa following me about now and I got to punch a few Alderaanians in the face. I especially enjoyed this. If you've played through Alderaan with other characters before the Bounty Hunter, you'll get a real satisfaction from those moments. Not much better so far in this game than smacking about those smug gits.

• 1 year later...
With these storylines you really can not make an objective assessment. It mostly comes down to one's preference. For example I am an "Empire guy" so obviously I enjoyed IA, SW and SI by far the most. Even as kid, watching the Original Trilogy, I always preferred the Empire. I kinda dislike the Jedi and the Republic therefore I didn't enjoy JC, Trooper and JK that much. Especially I dislike the Trooper and its overall "Sir yes sir! For the Republic!" mentality. Makes me feel like some hardcore brainwashed USA "patriot" (no offence meant).

I think if someone likes the idea of BH and enjoyed Boba Fett character in the films he will probably find BH story line decent and enjoyable. I mean it is not as intriguing as IA storyline since obviously the class concept is completely different but I think it has all the elements to satisfy "BH kind of guys".

I conflicted with this statement. I am near the end of Chapter 1 and I could not be more bored and unmotivated to level my bounty hunter, which is weird because as a kid Boba and Jango Fett were two of my top 10 favorite Star Wars characters and when I played Star Wars Galaxy I mostly played a Bounty Hunter. The reason I agree with this statement is because if you are like me in the fact that you love bounty hunters in the Star Wars Universe but are looking for a fun character to play and could care less about the class story then Bounty Hunters are a good fit for you, but if you are like me in that when you play a game you look for an engaging storyline, then Bounty Hunters aren't particularly great as their class story gets kind of repetitive and feels like a grind sometimes.