Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

CourtneyWoods

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH this is really frusterating...EA keeps jacking around with FREE items, reduced prices, F2P here and there that seem to spoil the game for me. I feel like I got ripped off for joining back in December! I've cancelled my subscription for now and I'm going to wait out these changes...I do hope it all works out well though :(

Speaking of DC Universe Online...

Which I stopped playing because I didn't like the fact that when it went "F2P" I lost what I had access too: character slots, inventory slots, bank slots, credits I earned, the broker (GTN), etc...

You honestly can't look me in the eye and say I, who has spent $238.80 on a soon-to-be-free game should get the same exact limitations as someone who hasn't spent a dime on this game.

And please don't come with "I will...".

Point is, you haven't. They haven't. I have. And the pitiful 1,900 Cartel Coins (150x6 [for months I subbed for] + 1000 for CE] ) equals roughly 8 Cartel Coins for every $1 I have spent. Really? Really. Thanks, but if this game launched F2P I wouldn't have spent almost $240 on it. If EA/BioWare fails to deliever for those who supported their game during P2P, I will do what I did when SOE did it just months ago: go else where.

I just unsubbed because of this news

F2P is a cancer upon the mmo genre and i am not supporting it

I bought your collectors edition, i subbed to the game. And this is how you repay your most devoted fans?

im gone

Edited by Doodle

Show me one game that has gone under since it has gone Free to Play or has less payers then before it was Free to Play, you cant, can you? Because none exist. Free to Play is the new industry standard, if you dont like it, go play checkers because in 2 years you wont fine a single MMO that is still 100% sub based.

APB

All Points Bulletin

You honestly can't look me in the eye and say I, who has spent $238.80 on a soon-to-be-free game should get the same exact limitations as someone who hasn't spent a dime on this game.

And please don't come with "I will...".

Point is, you haven't. They haven't. I have. And the pitiful 1,900 Cartel Coins (150x6 [for months I subbed for] + 1000 for CE] ) equals roughly 8 Cartel Coins for every $1 I have spent. Really? Really. Thanks, but if this game launched F2P I wouldn't have spent almost $240 on it. If EA/BioWare fails to deliever for those who supported their game during P2P, I will do what I did when SOE did it just months ago: go else where.

Hmm, I never looked at it that way before. I was kinda fine before..... but now I do kinda feel like I've been gotten :(

If I'm a subscriber, why am I being awarded monthly credits? Shouldn't I get all newly released content / features for free (i.e. included in my subscription)? Or is this just like every other MMO that becomes a Hybrid; the monthly credit allowance doesn't cover the cost to purchase all the monthly release content, so I still need to dip into my pocket on top of the $15 I will already be paying!

Just unsubbed my 2 accounts

I play mainly in two person group with my daughter so warzones, operations etc are not relevant to us

and looks like I will be able to play on casual basis for free

I am lifetime subscriber to LOTRO and saw what F2P did there with introduction of fee based travel passes to allow folks to avoid time sinks which are being architected into the game

I am happy to pay a monthly fee for a good game, content updates and a good in game environment - but I wont be manipulated in the interests of driving more revenue

This is very disappointing

Every decision EA/BW makes is to make more money, no matter what. They will go the easier route (f2p which makes players have to buy in-game boosts to make things easier for them) instead of going the harder route (fixing bugs, reducing lag, balancing OWPVP, nerfing OP classes, etc.) . Basically none of what you say matters if it isn't the easiest way to make the most money possible.

Hmm, I never looked at it that way before. I was kinda fine before..... but now I do kinda feel like I've been gotten :(

Of course if you look at it like that it looks like a lot of money, if you worked out how much money you have spent on food in the same time frame you would say, i shouldn't have eaten that much.

Point is if you didnt have SWTOR what would your money be going towards? Games that cost $80-$100 that last you a month playing? I rekon $15 a month is a GREAT price and is saving me a lot money, so will continue to sub as this is STILL a fantastic game to play

i have thought extensivly on this and thought id share with anyone who cares to read all this ....the game is going to have a price drop, and will be f2p until and at level 50 with limited features, ok thats great for all the ppl who dont mind losing extremely important aspects of this game, but in all acutuality it dissappointing to have servers flooded with ppl who got this game for frekin 15 bucks and never payd a damn dime ive paid 5x as much as them and wheres my frekin price break i dont want cartel coins! we who have payed for this whole time should get free time at premium level that makes sense dont need more goodies, becuase swtor isnt as sucessful as predicted how about i get all the features of the game and i dont have to pay 15 dollars... how about 8.. or another numerical value...what is the love affair with 15(clearly if your bleeding subs its too much)....the absurdity its like here have the entire game with limited fp's wz's ops and gtn listings for a bottom feeder price amd then all those who like the game as it should be UNLMITED still have to pay 15 a month the enitre price those other freemium players paid for the whole damn game... my buddy bought the collector edition plus months of subs the massive feeling of ripped-off permeates now, how about no free to play bs with lmiited features becuase at the end of the day ppl want those features they wont have them and 15 dollars is clearly too much for swtor to sustain profitability and constant steady stream of subs, they should value their customers more not just their future customers not to mention all the ppl who will stop subscribing for 15 and move down to the 2nd class swtor citizen level that you have now created just to save money damn huge rant so in fact you may have given even more incentive to not pay monthly its like 15(to much) and 0 with **** features... arent we jsut in the same place we started

Know that, im not playing anymore, and for a long time, but i was trying to join and look for some improvements, you left me very disapointed.

I'm so surprised, that such big companies totally screwed game. F2P is just icing on the cake of that all, i was never so disappointed to buy game. Not sure who could possibly done this, cause i always enjoyed LUCASARTS games. I don't think BIOWARE or EA are bad either. Maybe that connection just does not work.

Also, your response on that, what players actually wish to have in game, was terribly bad !!!!!!!! Ofc you lost lot of money and time with this game and trying to save it. Please delete it already, i beg you...i think we all do (9/10 of the time i spend in game just for i dont want wasted money :( ).

Make some fakin amazing, 3rd person, SW style game and save yourself, until there is chance. You can use story of someone like Yoda when youth or Palpatines, would be definitely great with connection to movie, and fans will love to know how did they born to be most powerful of their time :) ..just suggestion. But stop supporting this greatest fail of you ever, SHAME ON YOU... all of you.

Edited by Phantomik

At first I was very opposed to F2P, but now that I've read the plans I have to say that this might have been a good choice. I've seen a lot of my friends leave SWTOR to try other games. And there have been a lot of new releases lately with more still underway. However, I was convinced, given enough time, that most of those players would eventually come back because (imho) this is just the best game the MMO market has to offer right now. Ok, it's a bit low on end-game content, but with a new ops comming in 1.4 its moving in the right direction again. MMO's need time to grow and SWTOR has had a lot of competition.

1 more thing: The announcement of the F2P option was somewhat of a relief to me. I was afraid that free-to-play was going to be pay-to-win, but with subsriptions still as an option and with Cartel Coins for convenience items, boosts, visually unique gear, collectibles, etc. I can support it.

Anyway, I love the game and I'm gonna stick with it. Keep up the good work Bioware! :cool:

Edited by Erikusz

Of course if you look at it like that it looks like a lot of money, if you worked out how much money you have spent on food in the same time frame you would say, i shouldn't have eaten that much.

Point is if you didnt have SWTOR what would your money be going towards? Games that cost $80-$100 that last you a month playing? I rekon $15 a month is a GREAT price and is saving me a lot money, so will continue to sub as this is STILL a fantastic game to play

Until Star Wars: The Old Republic launched, the last game I bought was DC Universe Online and I left it for this because of how I felt I was being treated as one who supported the game since launch.

Far as what I would have spent almost $240 on? I would have saved it. Nothing came out between DCUO and SWTOR I was the least bit interested in (including ME3), and nothing is on the horizon as well. However, since the announcement of this going F2P, haven't come across anything, and I don't think I've missed anything as well. So, I would have saved almost $240. At least that's me personally. I'm sure others would have still spent it.

I first heard of this through a Yahoo news article. The link is here:

WOW has been around for almost 10 years now and is a very well-polished game. Their problem is that they've ran out of content and have been recycling armor models and boss fights since the BC expansion. SWTOR was hope for a new type of MMO with ranged tanks and all kinds of fun, but in reality the game just doesn't have the well-polished smooth feel that WOW has. Bioware and EA had no rush to push this game out before it was ready that I know of, but the game feels like it was rushed through and released before it was ready. There's still tons of buggy situations in SWTOR and there's SO MUCH GRINDING!!! Don't get me wrong, the game is still fun, but trying to follow a game like WOW is going to take something way more solid, planned out, and original than what the game currently is.

for ppl who want a half *** version of swtor that is limited that u get for free(and by half-*** i mean limiting wz,fps,ops and trade network listings)....and then for the price of the entire retail copy for the newcomers(15$ onsale), i get unlmited access(ooo im fancy now).... let me rephrase that its not "unlimted acces" its NORMAL access the way the game was intented too and been since it started, how dare there be a nerfed *** version of swtor for evryone and thier mother to play for free and then the real gamers ppl who saw this game in its glory... THE TAXPAYER(those whos 15 dollar subs r keeping this dwindling ship afloat) in this situation foots the bill .... was it not clear that paying subscribers were already on the fence not sure if they wanted to pay as many ppl were leaving....WHO the Hell who has enojoyed this game to the fullest is going to want to downgrade thier account once they realize they wont be able to do things they enojoyed........

which is why i think the solution is a less expensive monthly or bi-monthly sub .... 8 dollars 5 dollars whatever the case may be before you throw in the proverbial towel and make it free and cheap... i do not kno if microtransactions will be enogh to compensate, your saying i have more choices which is just complete bs,,,, i have exactly the same choice as before i want the game in its full form i gota pay... how about we pay... but less... its very simple 15 is too much in todays world for anygame but world of warcraft, and free to play mode is like a glorified trial.. ppl who were gona leave i fear will leave

At the time of this post there where 677 posts in this thread with 46,190 views. And yet not one post from a dev. Unless all the Fan sites start calling this a fail as well as magazines like game informer and other media start bashing this there is absolutely no hope for this game.

Instead of wasting our time here write those places... make your voice heard. Who knows it just might work.

Again I challenge a DEV to write a response that is something most substantial than double talk. They really must think we are children cause that is exactly how they are treating us.

Stop saying you want some benefits because of the money you've spent since day 1. I have too. But how could you possibly mean we do not get benefits? The people that will end up subscribing(I assume most people will) will be an equivalent customer to one who bought this game yesterday. He bought the game, and he pays a monthly fee, like everybody else. Now how does that differ for a person who 1: has to pay the actual game, plays free until 50, and then decides to pay? If not, his character will be very limited in terms of everything.

You may say that the "plays free to 50" is one benefit we never got, but that is a small price we have to pay to increase the player base. It won't give us any direct penalties.

It will increase our player base, wich is not only good for EA/BW, but for us. And to those who say they only do this for the money. While they may do so(I hardly believe BW only cares about credits) it will help us. If they can benefit from this game IT WILL enhance our gaming experience. It's the developers JOB to improve this game, if they get more profit out of it doesn't make them stop working.

The only thing i'm worried about is the cartel coin system. If this adds improvements to pvp/pve, wich means a "pay-to-win" system, I'm out. But so far they have promised not to. And I will continue to subscribe as long as they keep that promise

Edited by Uggen

I cant say I'm thrilled about it going free to play to lvl 50... few games last after they go F2P because most of the subscribers leave the game eventually due to the F2P players. I can tell you now that the subscription benefits for players that have been here since opening months is not enough to keep us all here. the best thing you can do is drop the price for long time subs and cap the F2P at 50 and let subs continue to lvl. I would feel a lot better about staying and paying for full content past 50 then... not saying I will quit any time soon, because I love this game as a star wars fan since birth. But help us feel better about it please!

I wish all the best with this decision to go F2P Bioware. I myself will remain to sub as I have always been a big fan of the game.

I just hope that the quality of service and further development of this game can only get better from here as a result if the F2P model.

:D

this game was a premium high end experience i gota say i have played majority of other mmos extensivly, ive spent my money on all sports of failed systems lol, and this is no diffrent...hmmm lets c whats a good analogy to describe this.....how about .....

bioware car dealership sells you a brand new mercedes benz( lets for arguments sake use this car becuase most regard it to be of a high price and quality) for 40k and u got me all locked up in payments but u kno what i love this damn car and i wouldent change anything about it even the unlimted warzones and flashpoints that it offers(that were included in the price i sucked up to pay).........

.........and then seven months later we all(those who already sank 5x as much in) catch ur slimy *** hutt infused dealership selling a nerfed version of essentially the same car for 7500 (15$ for retail copy vs60$ at start) and the kicker deal..... no monthly payments!!!! ..........meanwhile im all locked up threw the roof payments....man in real life this kinda **** gets you in trouble luckily we just playin games here and were not talking about big change...i mean for us...unless your bioware and ea and created the most expensive video game of all time only to peddle it like street meat... by the way swtor is a great game i just dont like how they handled the buisiness aspect,its a shame this is its fate... i remember talking to all sorts of ppl about how swtor would pan out over its first year...

F2P till level 50?.

Congrats you've just killed swtor.

Not really, the lvl cap increases for the subs past 50 soon, and the F2P get limit to the FPs, OPs, and WZ a week so once they lvl to 50 it'll be like pre 1.3 for them. They also have a limit to character choices and slots. As long as they keep there promise to constantly add content for subs I think most will continue to enjoy the game.