Balance the Force? What a terrible idea

Trolltar

For everyone arguing that balance is achieved when the Darkside is wiped out, while this may even be the case the Darkside can never been completely destroyed.

You can remove the current manifestation however Jedi will always fall, emotions will always play a part, the Darkside will always exist people eventually succumb to emotions and will fall from the light, if by a loved one being murdered or they simply have too much rage inside.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesn't matter if every single person in the world agrees with you the way Star Wars Canon is set up GL word is law.

Lucas is the ultimate authority on all things Star Wars. I don't think anyone would dispute that.

The problem is that art is not an authoritative process. Lucas can say whatever he wants about the movies' lore years after the fact, but the bottom line is that he didn't make it clear in the movies that the Dark Side is a cancer in the Force. Personally, I prefer the cancer explanation and I wish Lucas had featured that idea on the screen; hell, unless I missed it, even the film novelizations didn't contain that little nugget of lore. In any case, you can't blame the audience for interpreting the work on its own merits.

And when I refer to the audience, I'm including various authors of Extended Universe content, from which Lucas is quite happy to profit whether he explicitly approves it or not.

Almost nothing in the EU is completely non-canon due to GL post prequels., the Potentium and Unifying views of the Force are philosophies, never facts. They may be incorrect, but they exist in the universe.

Actually, the whole reason for Vergere being retconned into a Sith and turning Jacen into a Sith Lord was that Lucas vehemently disagreed with the very idea of the Potentium, and wanted in-universe demonstrations that it was a load of horse-hockey.

The Unifying Force, on the other hand, is the complimentary philosophy to the Living Force, which is mentioned by Qui-Gon twice in TPM. So it is apparently part of George's vision, even if it isn't explicitly named in dialogue in the films.

From my understanding

What Lucas said is that the Force is naturally Balanced with a Light and a Dark Side -

The SITH are like a Cancer (in their relationships with others because they ultimately want to destroy even those that are allied with them) - Also they purposely seek to Cause imbalance and gain Power by pushing things in favour of Dark Side dominance of the Force for their own personal gain....

In a kind of symbolic (Natural) Context - too much Darkness shrouds everything but conversely too much Light can Blind you.....

The Mortis Trilogy in the Clone Wars series - seemed to indicate an Need of Balance between both the Light and Dark Sides of the Force.

When the first Jedi were formed, they were called Je'daii and their goal was to bring balance to the force by using the light and darksides of the force. When the Rakata came to invade Tython, they abandoned the idea of using the darkside but instead decided that the only way to bring balance was to destroy the dark. S in fact the beggining of the jedi's "balance philosophy came from using both sides of the force. You can then conclude that the jedi order as u see it is a preversion of the true jedi.

When the first Jedi were formed, they were called Je'daii and their goal was to bring balance to the force by using the light and darksides of the force. When the Rakata came to invade Tython, they abandoned the idea of using the darkside but instead decided that the only way to bring balance was to destroy the dark. S in fact the beggining of the jedi's "balance philosophy came from using both sides of the force. You can then conclude that the jedi order as u see it is a preversion of the true jedi.

That. . . is totally and completely made up.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tython

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Infinite_Empire

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Force_Wars

There were Force-Sensitives on Tython who called themselves Je'daii. Other than that, everything posted above is in error.

That's where Canon gets tricky as hell. Since the Dark Side being a cancer in the Force is G-Canon, that little tidbit of TCW series is N-Canon since it doesn't conform to G-Canon, while the rest of it (that does conform to G-Canon) is T-Canon.

Yea, it makes your brain hurt.

uhhhhh.....you are aware that Lucas himself came up with the idea of the Mortis trilogy don't you? Filoni states it here in the behind the scenes bit in season 3..

Many of the decisions and stories in the Clone Wars, such as Darth Maul being brought back to life, come from Lucas himself. Lucas is highly involved the the Clone Wars, so everything that happens in the show is G-Canon. I think it is very clear that the Daughter represents the Light Side, the Son the Dark Side, and the Father the Balance. The Father was dying and wanted Anakin, the chosen one, to take his place and keep the Balance. The Light Side itself is not balance. The Dark Side is a cancer because of its corrupting nature, and left unchecked it would grow stronger than it should and throw the force out of balance. Sidious was the one who was responsible for the unbalance, and killing him brought the back the balance. The light side of the force, due to its nature, does not seek to over power darkness and ruin the balance, but the dark side does because of its nature anger, fear, aggression, ambition. That is the key.

Yeah, seems dumb on the outside.

Thing is, and this isn't pointed out until Attack of the Clones, the Force is not in balance, the Dark Side is ascendant. Even though (the Jedi believe, until the end of TPM), there are no Sith, the Dark Side of the Force has eclipsed the Jedi's abilities. This is the point of the conversation between Mace Windu and Yoda in AotC, where they start talking about the Clone Army and end with their diminished ability to use the Force. That's because of the shroud of the Dark Side, which is clouding their abilities (and through which Anakin catches the ultimately self-destructive visions of Padme dying.)

So, the thought that Anakin would eliminate this Dark Side shroud (according to Lucas, eliminating the Dark Side itself, which is a cancer in the Force, rather than the Yin-Yang duality it's commonly thought of as), was very appealing to the Jedi.

Of course, the Jedi themselves were no longer the bastions of light they believed themselves to be, their Order bound by a thousand years of tradition and overly-conservative thinking. Anakin's job, in the grander scheme of things, was to hit the rest button on both Jedi and Sith, paving the way for a new Jedi Order that could adapt to the changing needs of the galaxy.

Is it on a 1:3 ratio good to bad like in SWTOR?!

One of the things about the prequels that always bothered me is the length. Why didn’t the prequels end after Qui Gon asked the Jedi Council to train Anakin? If I had been on the Jedi Counsel the conversation would have gone like this:

Qui Gon: I’ve found this little kid. His force mite count is through the roof. I’m pretty sure it’s the kid from the prophecy. I want to train him as a Jedi.

Trolltar: You think this boy is the one to bring balance to the force?

Qui Gon: Yes

Trolltar: Then chop his head off.

Qui Gon: What the heck are you talking about master?

Trolltar: Qui Gon, you seem confused. The last time you walked around town did you bump into the Sith Temple? No, of course you didn’t. There isn’t a Sith temple. You know why that is? Because the Sith are basically extinct. You’re pretty sure you found one on planet sand, which brings the total number of known Sith up to a grand total of one. There are like a thousand of us. We’re winning. We’re kicking their butts. We have an outsized role in determining how things go down all over the galaxy. I always get seated at whatever restaurant I go into. Last week I was invited to the premiere of Indiana Jones XXIV.

Qui Gon: I still don’t understand

Trolltar: Good grief man. The last thing we want is for the force to be balanced. We like it unbalanced. We like the fact that we live it up here on Coruscant while the handful of Sith in the Galaxy are hiding on some swamp world somewhere. If there’s a kid out there that can potentially end all of this then we need to get to the part where we kill him, and damn quick. Cause the only way for the force to be balanced is to add a thousand Sith, or subtract a thousand Jedi. Neither is very appealing to me.

There is wisdom in this.

On the Mortis trilogy, was it ever actually explicitly stated that the Father, Daughter and Son represented the Force?

My personal interpretation was that they represented Anakin, and his internal battle. I have a much more detailed analysis, but I'm too tired to write it up and post it now. But think about the events of the Mortis trilogy with Anakin in mind.

The Mortis trilogy actually defends The Dark Side Imbalance.

In the trilogy/story arc the Dark Side Brother tries to kill the Light-Sided Sister. Bringing imbalance.

Which may mean, so the Dark Side brings imbalance there should only be light.

The Force in balance doesn't refer to equal parts light and dark. Imagine standing in a canoe. Balance comes from harmony, peace, and serenity. If there is some troll-faced Sith Lord in the boat rocking and generally making a chaotic nuisance of himself, your balance will be disturbed. The Jedi interpreted "balance to the Force" to be something along these lines.

But as I always must bring up in conversations about this topic...

This is a prophecy that misread, could have been! :csw_yoda: