Thanaton is horrible as a big villain

Slowpokeking

He's powerful in combat, sure, but he never showed impressive ability of manipulation nor military tactics. His reason to kill the SI character is also vague.

He talked about those "old tradition" every time but when he lost in the old tradition "Kaggath", declared by himself, he simply ran away and defiled this duel, before so many people. That really made him a BIG coward. Worse, he didn't try to deal with the SI character by himself, but tried to ask other council member's help.

Sure Sith are right to be treacherous, but this guy is even horrible. Many people complain about the SI story, I think a major factor is that this guy, as the biggest enemy of Chapter 2 and 3, is a failure.

At least they could make a better plot for SI's story on Corellia, let the Republic strike in during the Kaggath thus interrupted the battle, then both sides tried to use the republic to weaken the other one. Finally it had to be solved by a Kaggath before the Dark Council members.

It's relative. He makes a decently good badguy in the sense that we have every right to hate him. He has a clearly defined reason to kill you(he stated VERY clearly that he wanted to destroy Zash's powerbase. Guess what you are.), he is pretentious, and he can *********** fly. Those are three good reasons not to like him, right there. To pile on top of that,

he digs up old rules to try to get you busted.... and then he tries to tattle tale on you when you confront him about cheating.

That's pretty douchey to me. Perfect reason to hate the guy.

As long as a character can trick you into connecting to it, be it by really just hating the annoying ****er or legitimately loving to hate the guy, then the character is successful. Thanaton isn't a Vader, but you can't say he doesn't at the least get under your skin.

Edited by Sivenom

It's relative. He makes a decently good badguy in the sense that we have every right to hate him. He has a clearly defined reason to kill you(he stated VERY clearly that he wanted to destroy Zash's powerbase. Guess what you are.), he is pretentious, and he can *********** fly. Those are three good reasons not to like him, right there. To pile on top of that,

he digs up old rules to try to get you busted.... and then he tries to tattle tale on you when you confront him about cheating.

That's pretty douchey to me. Perfect reason to hate the guy.

As long as a character can trick you into connecting to it, be it by really just hating the annoying ****er or legitimately loving to hate the guy, then the character is successful. Thanaton isn't a Vader, but you can't say he doesn't at the least get under your skin.

Well he was the one who ruined the old tradition, the Kaggath, before so many people's eyes.

He will serve well as a minor villain, like the boss of a planet's quest line, but not 2 Acts.

I actually enjoyed him tattling (loved to hate him!) He became what he loathed in the end, the fact the way he finally died really showed that the Dark Council supported your claim over his,'sense he clearly lost in the Kaggath and then further dis honored himself.

He's powerful in combat, sure, but he never showed impressive ability of manipulation nor military tactics. His reason to kill the SI character is also vague.

He talked about those "old tradition" every time but when he lost in the old tradition "Kaggath", declared by himself, he simply ran away and defiled this duel, before so many people. That really made him a BIG coward. Worse, he didn't try to deal with the SI character by himself, but tried to ask other council member's help.

Sure Sith are right to be treacherous, but this guy is even horrible. Many people complain about the SI story, I think a major factor is that this guy, as the biggest enemy of Chapter 2 and 3, is a failure.

At least they could make a better plot for SI's story on Corellia, let the Republic strike in during the Kaggath thus interrupted the battle, then both sides tried to use the republic to weaken the other one. Finally it had to be solved by a Kaggath before the Dark Council members.

well i believe the SI story is MUCH better when you play as a lightside SI. since if you're lightside you express many times your desire to change the sith and make them less cruel. thanaton being the strict traditionalist obviously opposes this. he'd find that extremely offensive and threatening, thus his whole grudge against you. darkside, he uh, wants to kill you cus, uh? something bout zash?

being lightside and wanting to change the sith, and the empire for the better also makes all those moffs flocking to your side make alot more sense. moffs running to just another dark sith? makes no sense. but them flocking towards a lightsdie sith who wants a better empire makes TONS of sense. so i absolutely believe the SI was intended to be lightside.

Well he was the one who ruined the old tradition, the Kaggath, before so many people's eyes.

He will serve well as a minor villain, like the boss of a planet's quest line, but not 2 Acts.

The whole fact that is was THANATON who was defiling the tradition he was toting, and the fact that the new kid has more honor than him makes him that major villain. And as the above poster said about LS SI.... I think you got a point. But also playing a totally bad-*** "I don't need this ****" darkside SI makes the lines fit together as well. I do think canon the SI is LS but I played it both ways, and the hardass DS does make a certain sense. You are trying to beat the odds, because hey, I can do this **** can't I? and so who the hell do these kiddies think they are, trying to keep you down? Screw em. Your power base IS made up of the little people, like you are, and so it makes sense they flock to something more tangible than a supercommander flying old guy.

well i believe the SI story is MUCH better when you play as a lightside SI. since if you're lightside you express many times your desire to change the sith and make them less cruel. thanaton being the strict traditionalist obviously opposes this. he'd find that extremely offensive and threatening, thus his whole grudge against you. darkside, he uh, wants to kill you cus, uh? something bout zash?

being lightside and wanting to change the sith, and the empire for the better also makes all those moffs flocking to your side make alot more sense. moffs running to just another dark sith? makes no sense. but them flocking towards a lightsdie sith who wants a better empire makes TONS of sense. so i absolutely believe the SI was intended to be lightside.

What he said, only I think it works out even better being gray. The Corellia showdown where you can begin the final duel reciting the sith code just distills it all wonderfully. Thanaton is the story's father figure and the force for the old guard.

You are something new entirely. Your entire existence goes against the dogma of the empire, yet you're still alive due to your connection with the force, cunning, and mastery of your emotions without becoming a slave to your rage. Like I said, going the Occulus route is pretty awesome, and Occulus and Cipher-9 are likely going to have to settle business with the Warrior because of what happened (at this point there's a queue forming for that though).

I don't know were people are getting the idea that there is 1 right way to play the story being light, dark or neutral each alignment is valid, one alignment is not more valid than the other. To me the SI makes more sense as DS see what I did there? Its an opinion.

Lets get rid of this notion that a class fits as this so called alignment.

I don't know were people are getting the idea that there is 1 right way to play the story being light, dark or neutral each alignment is valid, one alignment is not more valid than the other. To me the SI makes more sense as DS see what I did there? Its an opinion.

The differing view points on how each person views their character and their reactions brings different themes to be more prominent. Many argue that going straight HATE RAGE HATE HATE Inquisitor buries a lot of good stuff under the barrier of generic seething rage.

Pretty good villain if you ask me.

He hates you because:

a) You're a slave.

b) He wants to kill all of Zash's followers.

You hate him because:

a) He's trying to kill you.

b) He's a hypocrite.

This too.

I played very heavily DS, but if made perfect since to me. There are choices for a reason. Saying one is right and the other is wrong defeats the purpose.

Anyone else not able to see spoilers? I can't find the option to enable it anymore...

This entire forum is spoiler... Besides only you are at fault since the option is still there.

I cant even be arsed to complain about Thanaton anymore. People can think what they will. For me he is still the weakest/most illogical villain I have seen in this game. (2 50s and one at 44)

Edited by Karkais

Thanaton's interesting explicitly because he's hypocritical. His appeals to tradition are largely empty. His true motivation is fear. Within, what, mere months of becoming an apprentice, the Sith Inquisitor has worked up the food chain to kill both Skotia and Zash? That's not just meteoric, it also places him next in the food chain. "Tradition" simply is the ideal he appeals to in order to justify his rather public display of fear.

But, when the actual canon version of TOR's stories are announced, then the story will clearly be one specific alignment. All people are doing are discussing which they feel suits the story better. Yes, it's opinion, but why should that mean we have to stop talking about it. You have your opinion, they have theirs. Neither is ebtter than the other, and discussing both points of view could lead to interesting conversation.

Or, are you really trying to say that they didn't come out and say 'Well, KotOR's story canon is, Revan was male, and light side' because, as you say, it is up to the player to decide?

On topic... I quite liked Thanaton, although I do agree that he wasn't a great class-story major villain. I can understand how the story unfolds, and how he feels you are a threat to the stability of the Empire. Former slave, risen to challenge the most powerful Sith alive,

claiming a place on the Dark Council.

To any traditionalist factionin the Empire, that is going to be considered a threat. He just doesn't seem to come across as strong enough to challenge the player.