Disappointed With The Romance Options

HungryMurloc

Since I'm a big fan of Biowares game, I really looked forward to a online player game were you had it all; including romance option (as a women I can't get enough of romance!), but got really disappointed when I saw the few boring characters that you could so call "romance". I've heard a lot of people complaining about the flirting itself, apparently just 2-4 conversations? Are there any plans on developing this further? Maybe add more intresting romance conversations and scenes? And add more different characters; races, appearances, personalities, gender? Come on Bioware, you guys can do a hell lot better than this!

Is anyone here happy with a character that they have romanced in the game? :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have to compare interations to mmos not single player games. This level of companion interaction is fairly unprecedented. In a single player game, they'd only be writing and voicing interactions for one character. Here, it was for 8. They did damn well considering time and financial restrictions that represents. No, the relationships aren't what they were in, say, Dragon Age: Origins, but that's not feasible in an mmo. In my opinion, some of the romances are very good and all add to the game. Edited by errant_knight

Well, for the most part romance in this game is hitting the items labeled [Flirt] any time they come up because if you miss the wrong one you will be locked out of future romance conversations. But don't worry, once you're past the unmarked lockout point you can, with a very few exceptions, never stop the romance again.

A lot of romanceable companions have maybe 5-6 romance conversations, so that's nice. They are gated by approval and by your progress in the class quest; the companion will tell you when he wants to talk to you, so you don't have much control over the pace. Once the conversation line is complete you'll get a few very cool bonus in-game mails, then...nothing. No additional conversations, no special on-click statements, nada.

If you're not looking for the long term, there are one-night stands you can have with some NPCs on individual planets as you quest through; some classes get more of these opportunities than others.

It has been a titanic struggle to get BW to start to take steps toward romantic content for same-gender romances (SGRs); I seriously, seriously doubt they're going to put resources into expanding other romance content for a long time to come. We'll certainly never see the depth of content that single-player games can put their resources into.

All that said? I think Corso is sweet and old-fashioned if clingy; Quinn is either a slightly scary power trip or a long slow ambiguous hesitant strikingly unromantic and yet hard-to-look-away-from saga; Kaliyo is my favorite psycho girlfriend simulator in history; Elara Dorne is just the sweetest possible unfolding of a self-possessed but understandably cautious woman; Andronikos is a leisurely, low-key playmate whose romance stands in wonderful contrast to the hardcore politicking and rank-scrabbling of the Inquisitor's class line. For all their myriad flaws, some of them do add to the game.

I have found that the romance options that come with companions that you get as your first or second one are a lot more complicated and fleshed out then the ones that you don't get until your last companion, for obvious reasons. So that is one thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the different classes and the options they have.

I have found that the romance options that come with companions that you get as your first or second one are a lot more complicated and fleshed out then the ones that you don't get until your last companion, for obvious reasons. So that is one thing to keep in mind if you're looking at the different classes and the options they have.

That is a very good point.

In rough order of when you meet them (so descending order of how much content you're likely to get with them):

Corso, Jorgan, Vette, Mako, Kaliyo (starting companions for femSmug, femTrooper, mWar, mBH, mIA)

Elara, Kira, Quinn, Andronikos, Vector (Act 1 companions for mTrooper, mKnight, femWar, femInq, femIA)

That bunch definitely has the most fleshed-out romances, along with arguably Risha, who has some Act 1 conversations as a non party member.

Then:

Risha, Akaavi, Doc, DS Jaesa, Ashara, Torian (early Act 2 mSmug, mSmug, femKnight, mWar, mInq, femBH)

Iresso, Temple (late act 2 for femConsular and mIA)

Nadia Grell (for mConsular; you do meet her and [Flirt] before the very late point when she joins the crew and starts real conversations, but she still gets very little content compared to other love interests)

^ I'd argue Risha is actually one of the better developed romances. You don't have her as an active companion until the end of Act 1, but she's always around in your ship and very much part of your crew from the beginning of the act. The end-game result with her is pretty serious too:

You marry her, essentially becoming future king of her home planet!

Well, I don't like the romances in the game much either - less the available options, but more how they are made.

I believe it was a mistake to make such a strong separation between all the classes in game and give every class their own set of companions, even if their story could have easily integrated in different ways - with a few remarkable exceptions such as Kira. As different as our characters may be, they are all adventurers in a the same world of Star Wars who are engaged in the conflict between Empire and Republic in one way or the other. That's ultimately no less common ground to work from as for the Child of Bhaal or the Warden, the Hero of Neverwinter, maybe even Darth Revan. Similar to Baldur's Gate - the choice of the companions should depend on the character instead of the class. Similar to Mass Effect 2, the story might be the companions' own story, with a few blends in the one or the other character story here and there.

Now, what is done is done. But I would very much prefer new companions to be integrated differently into the game than existing ones and have them include romance options. And - while as I said earlier that is not my primary concern - with more choice! With things as they are a Chiss Jedi Knight cannot possibly hope for romance with a member of his or her own species - there is no Chiss romance option in the first place, barring a mini romance for female Chiss Imperial Agents on Hoth.

I quite liked some of the romances I've seen so far in the game (which are Doc, Vector, Torian, Quinn and Kaliyo). Although some of them were more appealing to me than others - for example, Quinn definetly isn't my kind of guy, - all of them still were more or less well-writen, but.... huge but, in fact. You get all these companions not very late in your story. You have time to know each other better, to develop some relationship, etc. On the contrary, romances with those companions whom you get somewhere past Hoth look pretty rushed. Nadia Grell is ok, I suppouse, since you meet her long before she actually becomes a part of your crew. But with Temple and Iresso... I just don't get it :confused:

I believe it was a mistake to make such a strong separation between all the classes in game and give every class their own set of companions, even if their story could have easily integrated in different ways - with a few remarkable exceptions such as Kira. As different as our characters may be, they are all adventurers in a the same world of Star Wars who are engaged in the conflict between Empire and Republic in one way or the other.

They could have definitely gotten away with one or two unique companions per class (like Mako and Torian for BH, Risha and Corso for Smuggler) and filled out the rest of the team with faction-tied companions. Sure, it would lead to less character diversity, but it could also come with a quite significant increase in quality.

We'd go from 40 companions (+2 ship droids) to 22 (+2 ship droids). Each class would then have their two unique and presumably human romance options, their ship droid, and on top of that three "aliens" with perhaps a 2-to-1 gender ratio. (Maybe two male aliens and one female for the Empire, and vice versa for the Republic. Then maybe two of the three could be romance options, while the third is a Jawa or some other entirely non-human species.)

Heck, with the money saved on the lower number of fleshed out companions, they could have given each class a unique ship droid. The Jedi Knight's astromech could be his/her ship droid, the Imperial Agent could have one of those creepy floaty probe droids, etc.

Edited by JediMB

Iresso is the only romance I've bothered with. Corso is a keep-em-barefoot-and-pregnant creep, Jorgan is a furry fantasy (and starts off abusing your toon anyway), Theran is a creep with a holo-gf, Quinn is Mr Slimy and Pierce is just a cockney bit o'rough. Doc is, in Kira's immortal words, one giant hormone and Andronikos Revel is yet more rough. Iresso is the only genuinely nice guy I've come across so far and neither my Merc or Operative are high enough to have got male comps yet.

Seems to me that the male NPC romance options almost all have something decidedly off about them, something unsettlingly strange, not just normal run of the mill personality quirks.

Seems to me that the male NPC romance options almost all have something decidedly off about them, something unsettlingly strange, not just normal run of the mill personality quirks.

In the immortal words of Eutoxis:

It is true, however, that every LI toon for a female player that I've ever encountered is repulsive on some level: cowtipper, catboy, sleazebag holoaddict for the republic side that I've seen so far; borged out bug, skeevy pirate, effeminate <spoiler>, bieber fett on the empire side.

That list was missing the scumbag insincere player.

All that said? I think Corso is sweet and old-fashioned if clingy. For all their myriad flaws, some of them do add to the game.

This sorta sums up the Corso romance, imo, it made me uncomfortable. (Quinn's didn't, go figure). His constant insistance that I was a lady did it, I think, along with his constant fits of jealousy (though quite hilarious). I just couldn't get the rid of the nagging suspicion that if I ever broke up with him that I would have to slap a restraining order on him or he would snatch me away and lock me away in some gilded cage or worse, a love dungeon. For my own protection, of course.

I do think the romances add a lot to the storylines, however.

This sorta sums up the Corso romance, imo, it made me uncomfortable. (Quinn's didn't, go figure). His constant insistance that I was a lady did it, I think, along with his constant fits of jealousy (though quite hilarious). I just couldn't get the rid of the nagging suspicion that if I ever broke up with him that I would have to slap a restraining order on him or he would snatch me away and lock me away in some gilded cage or worse, a love dungeon. For my own protection, of course.

I do think the romances add a lot to the storylines, however.

lol

I think how the NPC ends up flirting will have a different reaction from each player. Now I admit, I don't quite get the out of character discomfort (sense I see it as just a game) especially since they (the devs) likely wanted to try to diversify the NPC personalities, but I would love to have little in character moments in the storyline where you can play out a scene with yoru character thinking that to themself if not saying it out loud.

Just one thing to add to what i said earlier (that the biggest flaw not only of romances, but companions in all, is that every class has their own set of companions), I believe one of the most frustrating things about romances that you can only try things that may work.

I am specifically thinking of Watcher 2 in the Imperial Agent storyline here.

She likes only human males. If you're not human, you can't even try. However, since the romance culminates in a single one dinner relatively early in the game from what I hear. So it's not big, but better than nothing.

That's of course a trait that befits her, but she never shows that in-game, you can only find out by comparing game events with other players who played through themselves. You can't even learn those details about the characters in-game.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Just one thing to add to what i said earlier (that the biggest flaw not only of romances, but companions in all, is that every class has their own set of companions), I believe one of the most frustrating things about romances that you can only try things that may work.

She likes only human males. If you're not human, you can't even try. However, since the romance culminates in a single one dinner relatively early in the game from what I hear. So it's not big, but better than nothing.

That's of course a trait that befits her, but she never shows that in-game, you can only find out by comparing game events with other players who played through themselves. You can't even learn those details about the characters in-game.

things like that could be BWs way of encouraging players to diversify and replay through the game. To find little easter eggs like that.

Romances differ greatly depending on what class you play, what gender you are and most importantly the character you romance.

Spoilers for Imperial Agent and Trooper below.

As a male Imperial Agent I have the choice between Kaliyo (a gangster basically) and Ensign Temple (a young Imperial traditionalist whose father worked for Imperial Intelligence). They both want completely different things out of relationships and are almost the polar opposite of each other. If you're a female your only option is Vector, a joiner of the Kiliks and previously of the Imperial Diplomatic Service. He's a real sweetheart and honestly I formed a good friendship with him as a male IA. I can imagine his romance options would be some of the most unique in the game. Males can also flirt with SCORPIO, a female droid who appears as your last companion, she thanks you for it but obviously it doesn't lead anywhere and her companion storyline is quite short.

I ended up choosing Temple after Kaliyo pretty much cheated on me with another guy in my own ship. In the end Temple was discussing tradition (marriage and kids) with me but I told her that our lives weren't right for that sort of stuff, being secret agents and all. So in the end of the arc we've ended up as boyfriend/girlfriend and not married. I also tried my hardest to flirt with Watcher Two early on but she didn't want any of it since I was already involved with Kaliyo at the time. By the time later flirt options came along Temple was already around. Also technically I got married to a Voss but that was just for a mission's sake :p

As a male Trooper I really only had one option, Elara Dorne. I did the whole storyline earlier last year so I can't quite remember it all, but there's General Garza's secretary for flirting and maybe some randoms on missions and that's about it. Honestly compared to Imperial Agent I can see why people think the Trooper storyline is a bit dull, though if you go Dark Side like I did it gets a little bit more interesting. I got married to Elara in the end after being supportive to her over the course of her storyline.

So I wouldn't say they're disappointing. It just depends on a lot of different factors and a few class/gender combinations can be a bit dull.

What? I flirted with her multiple times as a Chiss. I don't know if you mean it's not possible to get the the end of the romance options with her while being alien, but the flirt options were available to me.

Edited by Truvu
Spoiler tag added

I enjoyed the romances, rather. None of them were fed to me. I mean, there was enough left vague that I could RP the romance as I chose, making it unique to my own character, rather. And each ended up being wonderful foils for whatever class I was playing, just nice additions to the character stories.

All in all, they were fun, is all.

Edited by Phyreblade

I desperately want my female Jedi knight to romance with Sith Lord Scourge - that would really be worth a story (instead of slimy Doc)! Thanks for considering, Bioware!

I like Scourge much better than selfish Doc also. Scourge's talks about how he doesn't really feel anymore and about his faint memories of his last lover are more compelling than Doc whining about not being famous.

when you get married you get i think 3 emails - at least i did from mako. came within like 24 to 48 hours of reaching 10000 max affection with her and doing all the conversation branches. after that nothing further... not that i mind or don't mind. just don't think the same-sex romance that everyone has been allegedly clamoring for really makes a big deal. 3 in-game emails with a lvl 1 purple companion gift doesn't exactly light the world on fire. it's the only companion i got to 10000 so perhaps some of the other storylines are more exciting and interesting but the BH one - and i've got 2 lvl 50 bh's both with 10000 affection to mako - just seems like one more random sidequest and not that game changing.

I like Scourge much better than selfish Doc also. Scourge's talks about how he doesn't really feel anymore and about his faint memories of his last lover are more compelling than Doc whining about not being famous.

Well, that was interesting. I found Doc to be one of the best BioWare romances that I have done in quite some time. Different people like different things as always. Actually like him better than Malavi Quinn which I found a little surprising. Quinn is sweet, but a little on the boring side for me.

My biggest beef with the romances in this game is summed up with this post I made for Tumblr:

"Was thinking earlier about the SWTOR romance options…

The guys get the aliens. We get…one.

Republic

JK Male: Kira (human female padawan), Female: Doc (human male)

JC Male: Nadia (alien female padawan), Female: Iresso (human male) Taran (human male)

TR Male: Elara (human female), Female: Aric (alien male)

SM Male: Risha (human female) Akaavi (alien female), Female: Corso (human male)

Empire

SW Male: Vette (alien female) Jaesa (human female apprentice), Female: Quinn (human male) Pierce (human male)

SI Male: Ashara (alien female apprentice), Female: Andronikos (human male)

BH Male: Mako (human female with cyborg implants), Female: Torian (human male)

IA Male: Kaliyo (alien female) Temple (human female) Female: Vector (human male that has been affected by alien hive mind)

So…here’s what we have…one actual alien for us women (vector doesn’t really count as he is stil human) and the guys get five.

:|

They also get ALL of the padawans/apprentices as LIs while we do not.

3 classes, the guys get two options. We don’t, actually. Because our “second” option in two classes are only one night stands.

…..what the hell Bioware? You think us women don’t like us some alien ***? Or that we may want an extra option when say….a companion tries to kill you?

:|

You better fix this soon. Either with new companions, or taking some of the non-romancable companions (*cough*GAULT/LORD SCOURGE*cough*) and making them LIs at a later point in the story."

I LOVED Quinn however, even despite things later in the story. Niko was ok, a little dry, but not bad. I watched the Torian romance on youtube and just find that way too dull for my BH (she wants Gault dammit!!). Haven't gotten Vector yet, haven't even reached the romance with Aric, and everyone else...still have yet to get to. Corso I *********** hated. Just no.

But...for us women, we have some ****** options. And no aliens outside Aric. The ****? I've heard far more positive things from male players about their options than bad, though I have heard of some issues with them as well, but we kind of got shafted (no pun intended).

It's why I would so DEARLY LOVE IT if BW, in a future story content update, would make some the non-human and late companions LIs. You're characters have already become friends or partners, or at least respect has been gained between toon and companion that a future romance with them could be likely.