A Summary of Increased Repair Cost Problems (for BW/EA)

Daemonson

as the raid leader for my guild i have stopped raiding befor tuesday we had 2 mil in out guild bank .. now 5 days on 0 funds yes thats alot of wipes but 2-3 raid groups going every nite not really

they have issued so many incentives to sub up why not make repair bills a thing of the past i for one would even be willing to pay more for my monthly subscription to have 0 repair bills

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guild did EC hard mode lastnight.. What a money pit that was.. Either repair costs needs to be dramatically reduced or credit drops need to be dramatically increased..

I realize this was a bug fix, but there was just no reason to change the reapair costs..

I think credit drops globally need to be increased or repair costs need to decrease.. :)

they have issued so many incentives to sub up why not make repair bills a thing of the past i for one would even be willing to pay more for my monthly subscription to have 0 repair bills

i think having repair bills is good but it should not be excessive. It makes sense that your gear gets damaged and hence there is a cost to repair them.

to all you people who say "there should be a mix of work and fun!" (actually ive only seen one or maybe 2) here is an interesting analogy:

If you had a car that required you to get out and clean the oil filter every 10 miles would you rather:

(A) adjust your entire schedule/lifestyle to take in to account the extra time and effort in commuting

or

(B) Scrap the car and get a new one?

I thought so...:cool:

nah they will never roll back - not openly. They are too arrogant and short sighted to do so. They would rather cut off their nose to spite their face rather than admit they blundered.

If/When eventually the impact of this really starts to affect them they will silently roll out another "bug fix" or "class balance" or other such nonsense that has the effect of reducing armour costs.

I don't see a fix in today's patch notes... :(

Because they need to do further investigation to determine if the repair cost fix is actually working the way it is supposed to work or if there are other bugs that happened as a result. I suspect we'll find out more late next week as this is a holiday weekend so most likely have the low guys on the totem pole in the office now.

BJ

It's comical how naive some are. This "bug fix" was nothing more than an attempt to slip the cost increase by most in hopes they wouldn't see an uproar, which has backfired.

I can pretty much guarantee you if this stays in place, which more than likely it won't, there will be a Cartel package for reduced gear damage for x amount of coins in the very near future. That's the issue at hand, not just the in game monetary value.

For me, I could care less about the repair cost increase, that's only part of the problem.

Edited by Pirana

I can pretty much guarantee you if this stays in place, which more than likely it won't, there will be a Cartel package for reduced gear damage for x amount of coins in the very near future. That's the issue at hand, not just the in game monetary value.

I've seen this posted quite a few times during the past few days, by various posters, and while I hope it isn't true (I guess I'm an optimist...), I wouldn't put it past them. The Cartel Market has become their cash cow. Edited by Lent_San

I've seen this posted quite a few times during the past few days, by various posters, and while I hope it isn't true (I guess I'm an optimist...), I wouldn't put it past them. The Cartel Market has become their cash cow.

Unfortunately, December's event was a perfect example. They showed their hand. We'll give you the option to celebrate the Holiday's, but guess what? It's in the Cartel shop. Money is all that matters.

Unfortunately, December's event was a perfect example. They showed their hand. We'll give you the option to celebrate the Holiday's, but guess what? It's in the Cartel shop. Money is all that matters.
Off-topic, but I didn't buy anything other than that holosphere thingy. I refused to buy the rest. Would have loved an in-game event though. Okay, back on topic. ;) Edited by Lent_San

Ran one op last night for comms and to gear up some new players. Had a couple wipes because new players and a glitch.

Results:

First, everyone started getting really irritated by the wipes, much, MUCH earlier than they would have otherwise. Whereas before you would have seen jokes and people giving each other a hard time about it, now you had some actual anger.

Second, we ran one op, instead of a couple, and we almost didn't finish that one. A couple players couldn't afford one more wipe, so it was touch-and-go on whether we'd get finished.

In total, less fun was had. Yeah, can't see anything good about that situation.

Edited by iamthehoyden

This is what you get with f2p, a company that focuses 90% of its attention on the cash shop and how to get people to spend more money there, where a sub game has 100% of its attention on improving the game so people will continue to pay for it.

Way to go f2p cheerleaders.

This is what you get with f2p, a company that focuses 90% of its attention on the cash shop and how to get people to spend more money there, where a sub game has 100% of its attention on improving the game so people will continue to pay for it.

Way to go f2p cheerleaders.

Unfortunately, the game failed as a sub based model. Considering the alternative, I am glad EA/BW chose this route. Since the CM is the bulk of the game's income, yes, it needs to have a focus that encourages people to spend money on it. If this fails, then that first alternative is all that is left, and that would be the real shame. At least this way, the game is surviving and providing enjoyment for many people. You may not like it, but at this point enough people do to once again make it profitable. It's up to you whether to continue on or find something else that suits your needs better.

Wow, 20k in repairs for a single wipe.

BW really is stupid. Bleeding subs over a credit sink, you guys just ... lol

Yeah, people quitting a fun and entertaining game because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world. Yeah, BW are the stupid ones. :rolleyes:

BJ

Edited by BJWyler

Yeah, people quitting a fun and entertaining game because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world. Yeah, BW are the stupid ones. :rolleyes:

BJ

lol.. the bearing on the real world is the $15 monthly sub and time invested in this game. So when the game ceases to be fun and entertaining the smart thing to do is to leave and find a better use of your time and money.

From a business point of view it IS stupid to persist with something that costs you customers.

Edited by BaronV

Keywords here being "fun" and "entertaining." If this change causes the game to cease to be fun and entertaining for people then it makes perfect sense that they would leave. If a game is not fun and entertaining and they continue to play, that would make me doubt their intelligence.

My guild raids a fair amount (at least 3 nights a week) and we're happy to fill spots with those less experienced to teach then. When we're learning an operation it isn't uncommon to have 5-6 wipes in a single night on a new boss as we're learning patterns. As one of the healers for our group I managed to get a 66k repair bill the other night, and one of our main tanks has said he'll raid until his credits run out then he's going to either have to downgrade his gear or run around in broken armor as he doesn't want to grind dailies like it's a job (he makes a valid point). Many guildmates, and friends of our guild have said that they won't be raiding anytime soon. Congratulations devs! You've managed to break a 5 game streak of raiding for my group, something few people thought was even possible. All for another credit sink. Wow...Just wow...

My guild raids a fair amount (at least 3 nights a week) and we're happy to fill spots with those less experienced to teach then. When we're learning an operation it isn't uncommon to have 5-6 wipes in a single night on a new boss as we're learning patterns. As one of the healers for our group I managed to get a 66k repair bill the other night, and one of our main tanks has said he'll raid until his credits run out then he's going to either have to downgrade his gear or run around in broken armor as he doesn't want to grind dailies like it's a job (he makes a valid point). Many guildmates, and friends of our guild have said that they won't be raiding anytime soon. Congratulations devs! You've managed to break a 5 game streak of raiding for my group, something few people thought was even possible. All for another credit sink. Wow...Just wow...

Id like to suggest that you encourage your guildies to all unsubscribe. Even you are not sufficiently unhappy to unsubscribe - please do so anyway.

use the unsubscriber feedback form to tell them that you are not happy and they are breaking the game.

after that if you want you can re-subscribe.

If enough people unsubscribe someone in management will take notice in the sudden spike in unsubscriptions and step in to order the devs to roll the stupid "bug fix" back.

If my 8 man raid group is clicking we can get through TFB HM through Kephess and get NiM Toth and Zorn down in one 2.5 hour raid. That nets us over 20 molecular stabilizers, and at 150K each at current prices on The Harbinger that comes to 3 million in just stabilizers. With mobs dropping good credits in TFB I usually cover my repair costs just with that with about 5-8 wipes total during the run. We choose to use stabilizers to make equipment for other raid groups in our guild, but these could easily be sold which would actually allow us to make a profit by raiding.

I can fully understand that not everyone is going to be able to clear those same bosses in the same amount of time, or with as few a number of wipes. However, with some creativity you may be able to do it, especially if you can start RE'ing 63 level modifications.

Edited by Hiro-Protagonist

Unfortunately, the game failed as a sub based model. Considering the alternative, I am glad EA/BW chose this route. Since the CM is the bulk of the game's income, yes, it needs to have a focus that encourages people to spend money on it. If this fails, then that first alternative is all that is left, and that would be the real shame. At least this way, the game is surviving and providing enjoyment for many people. You may not like it, but at this point enough people do to once again make it profitable. It's up to you whether to continue on or find something else that suits your needs better.

BJ

The game failed because it wasnt up to par with its competition, so they had 2 choices. Make the game worth playing, or make it f2p. i dont understand why fanboys are ok with the choice EA made. Rift is proving that the other choice works.

And people arent quitting "because of some virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world" they are quitting because it costs hundreds of thoudsands of credits to do progression raids, and grouping with a dud in a gf hm fp can cost you thouands of credits, after awhile that "virtual currency that has no bearing on the real world" runs out and you cant play anymore.

If my 8 man raid group is clicking we can get through TFB HM through Kephess and get NiM Toth and Zorn down in one 2.5 hour raid. That nets us over 20 molecular stabilizers, and at 150K each at current prices on The Harbinger that comes to 3 million in just stabilizers. With mobs dropping good credits in TFB I usually cover my repair costs just with that with about 5-8 wipes total during the run. We choose to use stabilizers to make equipment for other raid groups in our guild, but these could easily be sold which would actually allow us to make a profit by raiding.

I can fully understand that not everyone is going to be able to clear those same bosses in the same amount of time, or with as few a number of wipes. However, with some creativity you may be able to do it, especially if you can start RE'ing 63 level modifications.

and what about those of us not in guilds and who dont want to be in a guild? My runs are entirely PuG groups or with friends since im guild-free.

I totally get that guilds may be able to get through this even if it just means sacrificing some wealth gathering. Its not that there is no way around this... but it definitely hits casuals harder than it does hardcore players

Pax Republica would also like to express it's unfavorable view on this change by Bioware. It seems like they wanted to take mods/enhancements etc. into account but didn't tweak it and realize how many credits this really costs people. Please make an adjustment. Pax will be significantly affected in it's raid progress by this.