[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

NeNiMel

hey guys.

i´m back after 8 monthes and would be question if i should change my commando heal gear......

In past the stats well, but now? I wear 162-168 gear with all MK9 in violett.

Unbuffed Stats:

Critical = 20%

Speed = 8%

Aim is bigger then power and power bigger then surge....

Right? If has someone a table with actually hard/softcap of the surge/power points?

BIG Thx.

Wintics

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey guys.

i´m back after 8 monthes and would be question if i should change my commando heal gear......

In past the stats well, but now? I wear 162-168 gear with all MK9 in violett.

Unbuffed Stats:

Critical = 20%

Speed = 8%

Aim is bigger then power and power bigger then surge....

Right? If has someone a table with actually hard/softcap of the surge/power points?

BIG Thx.

Wintics

I see nothing wrong with that. You got a good set.

I have started updating the guide to reflect all the changes in 3.0. There is a lot of work ahead with gathering experience with the new rotation and all that.

A lot of things will probably get changed along the way while getting more experience or because I have made some initial mistakes :rolleyes:

As always let me know what you think :D

1. Since the forums have been merged you could add an ability translation section for Commando healers.
  2. Why don't you request a sticky?
  3. Why do you waste Utility point on Gyroscopic Alignment Jets? You rarely get controlled in raids and even if you do 10 heat is nothing. Custom Enviro Suit, Protective Field or even Boresights seem like a better choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I have uploadet the last of the guide. There is still some missing parts in especially the gearing section since a lot of the new gear have not been added to either torhead or ask mr robot.

Now I just need to make the translation for commandoes.

1. Since the forums have been merged you could add an ability translation section for Commando healers.
  2. Why don't you request a sticky?
  3. Why do you waste Utility point on Gyroscopic Alignment Jets? You rarely get controlled in raids and even if you do 10 heat is nothing. Custom Enviro Suit, Protective Field or even Boresights seem like a better choice.

1. planning on it :p

2. Mostly because I dont know how to do it!

3. True. Have changed the utility trees now.

Added the Commando translation of the guide just follow the link in the op or scoll down to the first reply :)

Have actually thought of trying out a full alacrity build, but not sure how the cap looks for alacrity... (I'm no theorycrafter after all :p)

Added the Commando translation of the guide just follow the link in the op or scoll down to the first reply :)

Have actually thought of trying out a full alacrity build, but not sure how the cap looks for alacrity... (I'm no theorycrafter after all :p)

The ones I've checked are same as in KBN's post on first page, except that you change the "55" in them to "60".

Damage Reduction = ArmorRating / ( ArmorRating + 240 * 60 + 800 ) * 100

Max Health = BaseHealth + Endurance * 10 (BaseHealth at 60 is 6625)

Critical Chance (from crit rating) = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( CritRating / 60 ) / 0.9 ) )

Critical Chance (from main stat) = 20 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.2 ) )^( ( PrimaryStat / 60) / 5.5 ) )

Accuracy Percentage = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( AccuracyRating / 60) / 1.2 ) )

Alacrity Percentage = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( AlacrityRating / 60) / 1.25 ) ) )

Surge Percentage = 30 * ( 1 - ( 1 - ( 0.01 / 0.3 ) )^( ( SurgeRating / 60) / 0.22 ) )

Bonus Damage (from main stat) = (Strength or Willpower or Aim or Cunning) * 0.2

Bonus Damage (from force/tech power) = (Force or Tech Power) * 0.23

Bonus Damage (from power) = Power * 0.23

Bonus Healing (from main stat) = (Strength or Willpower or Aim or Cunning) * 0.14

Bonus Healing (from force/tech power) = (Force or Tech Power) * 0.17

Bonus Healing (from power) = Power * 0.17

The new StandardHealth value is 3185.

I haven't checked tank stats yet. Also, 3.0 patch note said something about changing accuracy formula, but that didn't seem to happen. It might in a future patch, keep an eye on it :)

There they are.

7/3 alacrity/surge and 500+ crit.

As someone who is spending more time with Merc Healz in 3.0 than in 2.x, and learning as much as I can as quickly as I can, I would love to hear your reasoning for the high crit rating.

I recall from 2.x that crit rating was not so useful for Mercs healing, or at least that was one popular approach.

Many thanks for the answers in advance.

Syrlex of The Red Eclipse

PS: And are you using mainstat or power augs?

Edited by Syrlex

As someone who is spending more time with Merc Healz in 3.0 than in 2.x, and learning as much as I can as quickly as I can, I would love to hear your reasoning for the high crit rating.

I recall from 2.x that crit rating was not so useful for Mercs healing, or at least that was one popular approach.

Many thanks for the answers in advance.

Syrlex of The Red Eclipse

PS: And are you using mainstat or power augs?

Actually Orderken's model said that even in 2.x ~420 crit was BiS (iirc) in 180 or 186 gear (can't remember which) and now in 3.0 we have bigger stat budget and Advanced Targeting was changed from alacrity to surge which puts further emphasis on crit.

And I use mainstat augs.

Anyway this is by no means fact just a so called educated guess based on my experience and Orderken's 2.x model :p

Edited by cs_zoltan

Thanks for the buide NeNiMel!

Dusting off the 55 Mando healer to level up and do some PvP with. Great referesher!

Good that it could be of help :) but if you are looking for pvp you should take a look at this guide: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=462351 Spartan is still updating it for 3.0 but it is still very useful for pvp

In a side note the guide is now sticky... Yay :D

I'd like to see the reasoning behind taking 600 Alacrity rating. I've healed as a Merc since beta and have always avoided it for high end game healing as ive felt it creates 2 many resource issues.

A bodyguard guildie took up 400 alacrity rating for a test and noticed it only gave him 0.2 extra resource regen. That coupled with the minimal cast time increase (1.5 sec rapid scan down to 1.44 secs) and the fact theres only one ability (rapid scan) that your going to be channeling anyway. We came to the conclusion that its still something to avoid.

I still fail to see a reason to take alacrity seriously as a Merc when Power, Surge and crit will potentially increase the amount ALL of your heals do, whereas Alacrity will only decrease the cast time of ONE of them.

I saw a guide a while ago that showed that altho alacrity is the best stat for HPS it is also the worst stat for heat management, unless anyone can show some definitive maths on this forum to proove otherwise, i find it quite hard to take anything over 0 alacrity tbh.

Edited by Sandsz

I'd like to see the reasoning behind taking 600 Alacrity rating. I've healed as a Merc since beta and have always avoided it for high end game healing as ive felt it creates 2 many resource issues.

A bodyguard guildie took up 400 alacrity rating for a test and noticed it only gave him 0.2 extra resource regen. That coupled with the minimal cast time increase (1.5 sec rapid scan down to 1.44 secs) and the fact theres only one ability (rapid scan) that your going to be channeling anyway. We came to the conclusion that its still something to avoid.

I still fail to see a reason to take alacrity seriously as a Merc when Power, Surge and crit will potentially increase the amount ALL of your heals do, whereas Alacrity will only decrease the cast time of ONE of them.

I saw a guide a while ago that showed that altho alacrity is the best stat for HPS it is also the worst stat for heat management, unless anyone can show some definitive maths on this forum to proove otherwise, i find it quite hard to take anything over 0 alacrity tbh.

Alacrity decreases cast time, channel time, gcd, icd, cd and increase resource regen to off-set the previously listed. Oh and it only competes with surge not power and crit.

Surge has bad diminishing return so after like 300-400 points it doesn't worth it anymore.

Edited by cs_zoltan

Hi, I was browsing through the guide and it is awesome thank you so much for the effort in putting it together!

I wanted to ask if it hasn't been asked yet, is there a way I can download this like in a word document? If not I'll do the copy paste thing because I hate to lose this stuff... you never know lol.. i Like to back up is all.

Thank you again.

Hi, I was browsing through the guide and it is awesome thank you so much for the effort in putting it together!

I wanted to ask if it hasn't been asked yet, is there a way I can download this like in a word document? If not I'll do the copy paste thing because I hate to lose this stuff... you never know lol.. i Like to back up is all.

Thank you again.

No, I don't think so.

The best alternative I got is to download doPDF and then open up the posts you want to save in a new page by clicking on the #number and then print it with destination as doPDF.

PS: NeNiMel hope you don't mind me answering all these questions :p

Np cz_zoltan

I believe the easiest way is to just copy past the thing into word or alternatively save a copy of the webpage locally. The post is written in some pseudo html code, so it will be very difficult to export that to word.

Well after 3.0 there really aren't a good way to do dps in heal spec without the heat goes up (besides rapid shot).

What I tend to do is to use electronet, rail shot and explosive dart because these are all instant. But I also use unload, death from above and flamethrower sometimes because they do decent dmg compared to heat cost (and they look awesome). The important part is just to weave in a lot of kolto shots to keep the heat down.

You can also use thermal sensor override together with a high heat cost dps ability if you want.

Alacrity decreases cast time, channel time, gcd, icd, cd and increase resource regen to off-set the previously listed. Oh and it only competes with surge not power and crit.

Surge has bad diminishing return so after like 300-400 points it doesn't worth it anymore.

You may not have read my post properly, but i made it clear that i was aware what it does, but you still miss the point i have made. Only 2 of your heals needs to be channeled, at the most 3, which still leaves 5 others that are instant cast.

The regen you gain from it doesn't give as much as a Kolto shot here and using supercharged gas would do. 400 gives an additional 0.2 regen.

So the only thing imo thats beneficial is the Cd/Gcd reductions. But imo, i still dont think its that ideal to take 600 on 1 stat JUST for that purpose because at the end of the day, its still a massive resource sink.

Unless anyone can show the maths and not (opinions), for the CD reduction you would gain per 100 of the stat for example, i'm still inclined to feel this guide is giving people the wrong ideas about stat management.

You may not have read my post properly, but i made it clear that i was aware what it does, but you still miss the point i have made. Only 2 of your heals needs to be channeled, at the most 3, which still leaves 5 others that are instant cast.

The regen you gain from it doesn't give as much as a Kolto shot here and using supercharged gas would do. 400 gives an additional 0.2 regen.

So the only thing imo thats beneficial is the Cd/Gcd reductions. But imo, i still dont think its that ideal to take 600 on 1 stat JUST for that purpose because at the end of the day, its still a massive resource sink.

Unless anyone can show the maths and not (opinions), for the CD reduction you would gain per 100 of the stat for example, i'm still inclined to feel this guide is giving people the wrong ideas about stat management.

sigh, having instants or casts doesn't matter since it decreases both equally. Having 8% alacrity for example means you will do everything precisely 8% faster. Which means 8% HPS increase.

Surge hits DR hard at 300-400 rating, if you wish to waste your tertiary stats, by all means go ahead.

Just saying even melee classes with 100% instants are using alacrity even though they have to blow 750 on accuracy, that should tell you how much stronger alacrity actually is. And healers only need surge and alacrity.

PS: The resource regen boost is ONLY for offsetting the cast/gcd reduction, so basicaly you are back to square 1.

Edited by cs_zoltan

As i said, without any maths to show on here, its all just opinions really.

Look, im not trying to pick a fight over who knows best or what ever. I'm just looking for 100% accurate info and without any definitive evidence, its hard to take anyones word as whats right and whats not right. When i have healed current HM encounters with no problem using 0 alacrity and having 0 resource issues.

From 3 years worth of HM and nim healing experience, ive always found, altho it adds to your number out put, it also adds the same to your resource usage. And the damage thats done at times in these encounters, you need to manage your resource bar effectivly. So 8% faster is great but burning your resources 8% faster, aint so great.

And yes i know it has changed somewhat from previously, but what i am asking, for the sake of any mercs who read this post, is put down some evidence to back up the claims that are being made is all. Its ok saying what does what, but without cast iron evidence, how can you say for fact that its 100% correct? You cant. Personally, i'd love to see some evidence down but until then i'll go with what i know has fit my playstyle so far as i trust it to work for me.

A lot of different people will have different play styles so in their opinion, what works for them is right. All i am saying, is lets see the evidence that whats stated on this thread is correct or its just a persons opinion of what they feel has worked well for them and nothing more im afraid.

So

It's not an opinion it's a fact. Because I have the coefficients. I know that Surge hits diminishing return between 300-400. That leaves 600-700 tertiary stat budget which literally go to waste if you spend it on surge because of the DR.

And I said numerous time that alacrity boosts resource regen IN THE SAME MAGNITUDE it boost speed. So if you do everything 8% faster and recover 8% more resource at the same time what will happen?