Boring races?

marthin

I think the classes are perfect for the release of the game.

But... i really hate the races. Since i'm a fan of starwars since the early -80 i love the wacky characters.

Chiss, rattakaki, Miraluka, Mirialan... junk!

Where is the Trandoshan, Wookie, etc

Sure we got the Twilek but please.

So is there any plans for some wacky fun new races?

• 5 months later...
I'm pretty sure at this point in time the Mandalorian's were essentially all human.

A being of any race could become Mandalorian. The Taung allowed beings that shared thier strengh and beleifs to join the Manalorian culture, and that tradition was carried on even after the Taung went extinct.

I'm pretty sure at this point in time the Mandalorian's were essentially all human.

Mandos aren't a species or a race, but clans of multiple species all following the same ideology. So, you'll never see a Mando species as playable but you might see an expansion on Mando involvement in the BH story. Unless you are talking about the Taung, who renamed themselves the Mandalorians and are thought to be extinct or very close to extinct in this time period.

Just to pick some more nits, OP those aren't playable races at the character creation screen, they are species or in the case of cyborgs, an offshoot of standard humans. Might not seem like it, but there is a rather large difference between race and species.

Much rather have seen Mandalorian instead of Cyborg.

Mandalorian is a culture, not a species. The overseer of the Mandalorian great hunt is a wookie, for instance, and in other media there are Rodians, Mon Cal, Doshans, and various other species that are Mandalorians.

On subject, though, the races are horrid and not in the least iconic of Star Wars. Humans are humans. Fine, but they're a staple of everything. There were other much more iconic races that had far more screen time in the movies than the ones currently on offer. I don't recall ever seeing a Mirilan, Miraluki, or Rattataki in any of the movies.

The only Twi'leks that had any roles were a throw-away Jedi, a Fat senator, a freaky albino pervert, and Rancor chow. Rodians had more screen time than Twi'leks and Mon-Cals had even more screen time than that.

I don't recall ever seeing a Mirilan, Miraluki, or Rattataki in any of the movies.

While I completely agree with your post just wanted to point out that there were two Mirilans in the movies. Barriss Offee appears in Attack of the Clones several times along with her master Luminara Undili who also appeared in Revenge of the Sith.

But yeah, completely agree that there were much more iconic species in the films. One of the best things imo that SWG did right was their playable species. Being able to be a Wookie, Mon Cal, Trandoshan, Rodian, Bothan or even a Sullustan or Ithorian just made creating a character so much more fun.

EDIT - Also interestingly although you can only play Mirialans on Republic side in this game until you unlock them through their Legacy, they were actually more often on the opposing side in galactic conflicts. They sided with the Sith Empire in the Jedi Civil War and with the Separatists in the Clone Wars.

Edited by Chaac

I agree there should have been better races to pick from at the start human and cyborg really!!!

Problem is by the time they bring out more playable races no one is going to want to level another char just because it looks different.

Shame tho

Greetings everyone!

We wanted to refer you to the following update which you can find in our Community Q + A Blog for April 27th, 2012:

JimG: Is there any sort of ETA on adding completely new playable species into the game such as Togruta, Mon Calamari, Nautolan, etc.?

Daniel: Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand... this year.

Since we have an active thread discussing the various specie suggestions for playable races, we are going to close this thread and ask that you please continue this discussion here:

We hope this helps and thank you for your feedback! :)