The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

elliotcat

Thanks, all! :) I love sad stories. When I accidentally spoiled myself on the events leading up to this story, I was actually extremely happy. The possibilities for angst...so much fun to write. ;)

Outta my headspace, you!

*runs and hides* :D

I feel like a traitor for writing a Quinn who kind of got off light after the incident.

You're not alone--he gets off pretty light in my 'official' version. I took the neutral option. A'tro isn't the forgiving type, but she a) didn't want to kill him and b) felt like the whole thing was really her own fault. So Quinn gets away without a scratch and no one brings it up again because no one else knows.

Also... What is up with the Sith Warrior story that makes it so inspiring? Seriously, I've written far more fanfic for that cast than for the SI or the IA. Not that that's a bad thing.

Also... What is up with the Sith Warrior story that makes it so inspiring? Seriously, I've written far more fanfic for that cast than for the SI or the IA. Not that that's a bad thing.

It's engaging. It's well written. It's well paced. It's well executed. The same can't be said for the others. (In my opinion, of course)

When I first experienced the Quinn Thing, my heart sank into my chest. That kind of reaction from me is quite rare when it comes to video games. I even made a second Sith Warrior just to romance Quinn because I liked him so much on my male Warrior. This was after my first Warrior hit level 50, mind. That's right. I made another Sith Warrior just to romance Quinn even though I knew exactly what he was going to do.

The only other character in this game that has gotten a rise out of me is Thana. My God, do I hate her.

Edited by irishfino

I do wonder what would've happened if Quinn had succeeded. How he would've coped with killing my various Warriors (a rigidly formal traditionalist, or any of the assorted women) and how his career would've gone with Baras commanding the war effort and continuing to purge his ranks at the least excuse.

That's a really interesting question.

Personally, I don't think he'd have lasted very long. I suspect Baras would have to gauge the value of Quinn as an Imperial officer (albeit a good one) with the liability of his having turned on his current commander not once, but twice . Broysc counts. He may have been nuts (the conversation with him and Quinn's running commentary had me laughing to hard I had to repeat it several times) but it demonstrates that Quinn will take action against higher-ups when he believes it will preserve the Empire. And he managed to kill a Sith lord. The Sith lord that the Emperor's minions believed was powerful enough to succeed Scourge as Wrath.

That's a dangerous man to leave alive, if you're Baras.

Best guess? Draahg would have Quinn's head mounted on the wall of your former starship (or maybe his, if he has one) alongside the rest of your crew, with the possible exception of Jaesa. Quickly, before Quinn has a chance to prepare. While he's still basking in the dubious glory of having completed the impossible mission.

The further interesting question is whether Quinn would see it coming. And what he would do if he did.

Hey, can we get an "Alternate History" prompt? This has potential.

Edited by Striges
grammar

It's engaging. It's well written. It's well paced. It's well executed. The same can't be said for the others. (In my opinion, of course)

When I first experienced the Quinn Thing, my heart sank into my chest. That kind of reaction from me is quite rare when it comes to video games. I even made a second Sith Warrior just to romance Quinn because I liked him so much on my male Warrior. This was after my first Warrior hit level 50, mind. That's right. I made another Sith Warrior just to romance Quinn even though I knew exactly what he was going to do.

The only other character in this game that has gotten a rise out of me is Thana. My God, do I hate her.

^This. The SW just has so much depth in its story and characters.

@Vesaniae, great story I love your headcanoning (if thats a word:D)

That's a really interesting question.

Personally, I don't think he'd have lasted very long. I suspect Baras would have to gauge the value of Quinn as an Imperial officer (albeit a good one) with the liability of his having turned on his current commander not once, but twice . Broysc counts. He may have been nuts (the conversation with him and Quinn's running commentary had me laughing to hard I had to repeat it several times) but it demonstrates that Quinn will take action against higher-ups when he believes it will preserve the Empire. And he managed to kill a Sith lord. The Sith lord that the Emperor's minions believed was powerful enough to succeed Scourge as Wrath.

That's a dangerous man to leave alive, if you're Baras.

Best guess? Draahg would have Quinn's head mounted on the wall of your former starship (or maybe his, if he has one) alongside the rest of your crew, with the possible exception of Jaesa. Quickly, before Quinn has a chance to prepare. While he's still basking in the dubious glory of having completed the impossible mission.

The further interesting question is whether Quinn would see it coming. And what he would do if he did.

Hey, can we get an "Alternate History" prompt? This has potential.

Sorry for the double post but I second this.:) I can write SO many of these. I mean there is just so much potential in considering the What ifs.....

Fascinating question, and one I can't quite put my finger on. I'll tell you I personally started writing because

the removal of choice during The Incident was the most egregiously awful plot rail I'd ever been forced onto, and I had to cope by either writing about how Quinn's survival didn't happen or writing to explain how it did. I was so incredibly involved up with the story and characters up until that point, I think not explaining it would've driven me nuts.

That doesn't explain all of why it's so inspiring. I dunno. I love my Agent, but he doesn't drive me the same way, even though his in-game story was very good. (Perhaps it's just that I was satisfied by the plot and didn't feel driven to elaborate?) The Inquisitor and Trooper, they were fun, but I'm satisfied with where their stories left off. I don't know why the Warrior kept dragging me back.

But plainly there's something, because the Sith Warrior is hilariously overrepresented in the fanfic community.

If there ever is an Alternate History prompt, I'm going to end up posting like half a dozen different things because I have a monumental number of ideas floating around in my brain. :D

For example: A retelling of the Warrior story in a bizarre alternate reality where Quinn is the Sith. :rolleyes:

Then I started thinking about what Quinn would be like as a Sith.

Then it dawned on me that there is a Sith out there who is cold, passionless and methodical, a manipulative schemer whose intricate plots ultimately end in his favor no matter the outcome. And he makes some damn good speeches.

Quinn + Force Sensitivity = Darth Jadus

:eek:

I'll just leave that thought sitting there.

Dear lord what have you done. :eek:

I'd like to put props on the agent story too. The only reason I haven't finished it is because I can't level that character without my friend, and his time is limited. Darn friends. :p

If there ever is an Alternate History prompt, I'm going to end up posting like half a dozen different things because I have a monumental number of ideas floating around in my brain. :D

For example: A retelling of the Warrior story in a bizarre alternate reality where Quinn is the Sith. :rolleyes:

Then it dawned on me that there is a Sith out there who is cold, passionless and methodical, a manipulative schemer whose intricate plots ultimately end in his favor no matter the outcome. And he makes some damn good speeches.

I will never be able to look at eiher Quinn (who I adore) or Jadus in the same light now... Thanks :D

Quinn....Force Sensitive.....Jadus.....Whoa!

Mind Blown

This rapidly confirms, to my mind, that the "I'd hit that" effect is at least as dependent on the uniform as on the evil-mastermind vibe. 'Cause Jadus just isn't doing it for me there. Good to know I'm that shallow. Just...man, uniform. :rolleyes:

This rapidly confirms, to my mind, that the "I'd hit that" effect is at least as dependent on the uniform as on the evil-mastermind vibe. 'Cause Jadus just isn't doing it for me there. Good to know I'm that shallow. Just...man, uniform. :rolleyes:

Apparently I'm into Big Evil Jerks because I totally knelt to Jadus for reasons other than not wanting to die :D

Voice, Command, Power, Danger *drool* :o

I know my type.

Agent spoiler

I think you're hot, you're totally going to betray me later aren't you? Yep, thought so. Worth it.

btw I talked him down the first time not knowing that was possible. I was so high after that I didn't sleep for two days.

Edited by kabeone

Lol I'm feeling in a very small minority right now. I tried to play on the Empire side, I really did-- I just didn't enjoy it. Granted, none of my characters got very high in level, I think the highest is 29. If I weren't managing a guild that does ops pretty much every night, I might be more likely to play the alts, but for now Miriah has heal duty.

Very much enjoying the stories about the Empire characters, though. Great work, everyone!

Lol I'm feeling in a very small minority right now. I tried to play on the Empire side, I really did-- I just didn't enjoy it. Granted, none of my characters got very high in level, I think the highest is 29. If I weren't managing a guild that does ops pretty much every night, I might be more likely to play the alts, but for now Miriah has heal duty.

Very much enjoying the stories about the Empire characters, though. Great work, everyone!

Same here; I can't stomach the Agent story which is apparently SWTOR blasphemy. I've found the other stories interesting enough, but honestly I think it depends what you put into it. I think I got the most out of my smuggler's story because I developed such a vivid backstory for her, and it colored the rest of the story in a poignant way.

The ship she bought with money she made by selling herself was stolen, she has to go back to her childhood homeworld AND the place she was sold into slavery...not easy to keep your head up.

My warrior who came from a loving, Light Sith family...well, not so much. I think my Knight inspires me a bit more than my Warrior, again because of her background. But who knows? That may change in future.

I guess this is a convoluted way to say YMMV.

I will put up new prompts shortly, I promise!! Just been busy this week getting ready for back to school. Also, we're quickly approaching 1000 posts, which I think is the cutoff for when mods close the threads. If this thread gets closed I will post a new one as soon as I can, but feel free to poke me and let me know when/if it gets closed!

. I think I got the most out of my smuggler's story because I developed such a vivid backstory for her, and it colored the rest of the story in a poignant way.

I think this is what really does it. I did the same for my Sith warrior, and had the same result.

Also, we're quickly approaching 1000 posts, which I think is the cutoff for when mods close the threads. If this thread gets closed I will post a new one as soon as I can, but feel free to poke me and let me know when/if it gets closed!

I've seen popular threads get "restarted" with a big box of yellow moderator text and links to the original, but I don't know if this happens automatically or if you have to ask a mod to do it.

And no rush--I got a last minute idea for guilty pleasures and I'm trying to meet the deadline!! Forget dinner for family, must write!

Edited by Striges
stuff

I think this is what really does it. I did the same for my Sith warrior, and had the same result.

I've seen popular threads get "restarted" with a big box of yellow moderator text and links to the original, but I don't know if this happens automatically or if you have to ask a mod to do it.

And no rush--I got a last minute idea for guilty pleasures and I'm trying to meet the deadline!! Forget dinner for family, must write!

Same. One celebration to meet the deadline! *type type*

Also Great job everyone!!:D

Edited by SveinEternity

Guilty Pleasures

Rochester and Broan (yay!)

Broan's new studio was awash with blue. The sky was dull with the morning's rain, making the room seem lifeless and cold. Rochester stood in the middle, surrounded by the gaunt skeletons of Broan's many easels. He had been waiting only a few minutes but already a knot was forming in his stomach. There were no chairs and the only table, stood along the window-wall, was covered in data-slides. Each easel was dr*ped in blue-grey cloth, hiding whatever had been painted. With concern and curiosity rising, Rochester picked up a data-slide and unlocked it. His breath caught in his throat as the screen lit. A grey-tone study of a well-muscled back revealed itself. The figure was hunched, at least from what Rochester could tell, given that the arms and lower body were missing. The detail was beautifully intricate and the figure seemed almost alive. He chose another slide, this one entirely studies of arms. Each was delicately defined, starting at the shoulder and ending at the wrist. As Rochester was examining another set of studies, this time of buttocks, the door opened behind him.

"What do you think?" Broan spoke softly, hiding his apprehension well.

"You have remarkable talent." Rochester set the slide down with the others, starting to arrange them into neater piles.

"I used to draw while at the Jedi academy. Master Istier encouraged me, saying that my art was a way of communing with the world around me. Perhaps he thought that by understanding my emotions through art I could learn to control them."

"I didn't realise Jedi could create." Rochester left the slides, ignoring them as they skittered and fell. He sat on the edge of the table, hands on his thighs, fighting back his nervousness. Broan slowly walked toward him, his face a mask of concentration. For a moment, the beard Broan had started to cultivate distracted Rochester, but soon he was drawn back to the hard look in the man's eyes.

"They don't, not really. It's more like... stagnation disguised as preservation. At least, that's what it seems like, now that I think of it." Broan closed the gap and stood between Rochester's legs.

"If that's true, then you're not Jedi at all, and you're like no other Sith, Broan," Rochester looped his arms around Broan's waist and kissed him. "They only destroy, you're something else entirely."

"Something beyond Sith and Jedi?" Broan chuckled at Rochester's expression. "Sorry, I have a paper I should be working on..."

"...about the ramblings of a crazed, old observer with an unpronounceable name?"

"Yes, a very important paper that I've been concentrating very hard on, which you can probably tell," He gestured to the variety of easels filling the room. "All these paintings have been helping me work very hard at being distracted."

"Can I see them?"

Broan paused and chewed his lip. His eyes darted around the room, before focusing on the window behind Rochester.

"I... some of these I made after the... the mansion."

"Oh. If you don't want me to see those..."

"No, maybe," Broan sighed and visibly sagged. He leant against Rochester and stared at the stack of canvases in the corner. "It might good for you to see those, but I wouldn't want you to understand them. I felt layers of dirt and grime peeling from me with every stroke. Almost as if, the paint was removing the darkness of that place. They're maddening."

"Why don't you show me something else, instead? I saw the studies over on your desk, what are they for?" He stroked Broan's back, it was a simple action, but it helped to calm them both.

"Studies for you." Broan smiled sheepishly and pried his way out of the embrace. He moved over to one of the easels, a portrait and not very large, and removed the cover. Rochester felt his heart clench.

"That's... me?"

"It's how I see you. You always tell me you're not beautiful, but you are."

The figure on the canvas was slightly hunched over, with his hands curled around white sheets. His back was to the viewer, showing the cybernetic plating along his spine that reached from his mid back to his coccyx. He was looking over his shoulder, at once enticing and forlorn.

"There was an artist, a few decades ago, who did beautiful studies of figures in white. He inspired me," Broan paused and looked at Rochester, smiling. "And so do you."

"Like music, captured in paint," He stared at the painting of himself, the one he had unwittingly posed for every time they met, every time they were intimate. "That's what I've heard, at least. I've never seen any of his works..."

"Yeah, he called them 'symphonies'." Broan rested a hand on Rochester's arm, trying to gauge the depth and breadth of his reaction.

"Thank you," Rochester gently touched his back, feeling the metal under fabric. "Is this really what it looks like? I've never looked at it... not for long."

"Yes, Rochester, this is you. This is the 'you' that I know and love."

"Show me."

The data slides with all their studies were carelessly flung to the floor. Nude and free, Broan showed his lover the source of his inspiration.

I honestly did not think this would come out, I just haven't had the inspiration this week. I've been watching a BBC documentary called "The History of Art in Three Colours", so there are some influences from that in there; largely Whislter's Symphony in White (no really?) and the general feel of blue during the Romantic era.

My god I'm sounding pretentious.

Edited by Tatile

Guilty Pleasures

Rochester and Broan (yay!)

Broan's new studio was awash with blue. The sky was dull with the morning's rain, making the room seem lifeless and cold. Rochester stood in the middle, surrounded by the gaunt skeletons of Broan's many easels. He had been waiting only a few minutes but already a knot was forming in his stomach. There were no chairs and the only table, stood along the window-wall, was covered in data-slides. Each easel was dr*ped in blue-grey cloth, hiding whatever had been painted. With concern and curiosity rising, Rochester picked up a data-slide and unlocked it. His breath caught in his throat as the screen lit. A grey-tone study of a well-muscled back revealed itself. The figure was hunched, at least from what Rochester could tell, given that the arms and lower body were missing. The detail was beautifully intricate and the figure seemed almost alive. He chose another slide, this one entirely studies of arms. Each was delicately defined, starting at the shoulder and ending at the wrist. As Rochester was examining another set of studies, this time of buttocks, the door opened behind him.

"What do you think?" Broan spoke softly, hiding his apprehension well.

"You have remarkable talent." Rochester set the slide down with the others, starting to arrange them into neater piles.

"I used to draw while at the Jedi academy. Master Istier encouraged me, saying that my art was a way of communing with the world around me. Perhaps he thought that by understanding my emotions through art I could learn to control them."

"I didn't realise Jedi could create." Rochester left the slides, ignoring them as they skittered and fell. He sat on the edge of the table, hands on his thighs, fighting back his nervousness. Broan slowly walked toward him, his face a mask of concentration. For a moment, the beard Broan had started to cultivate distracted Rochester, but soon he was drawn back to the hard look in the man's eyes.

"They don't, not really. It's more like... stagnation disguised as preservation. At least, that's what it seems like, now that I think of it." Broan closed the gap and stood between Rochester's legs.

"If that's true, then you're not Jedi at all, and you're like no other Sith, Broan," Rochester looped his arms around Broan's waist and kissed him. "They only destroy, you're something else entirely."

"Something beyond Sith and Jedi?" Broan chuckled at Rochester's expression. "Sorry, I have a paper I should be working on..."

"...about the ramblings of a crazed, old observer with an unpronounceable name?"

"Yes, a very important paper that I've been concentrating very hard on, which you can probably tell," He gestured to the variety of easels filling the room. "All these paintings have been helping me work very hard at being distracted."

"Can I see them?"

Broan paused and chewed his lip. His eyes darted around the room, before focusing on the window behind Rochester.

"I... some of these I made after the... the mansion."

"Oh. If you don't want me to see those..."

"No, maybe," Broan sighed and visibly sagged. He leant against Rochester and stared at the stack of canvases in the corner. "It might good for you to see those, but I wouldn't want you to understand them. I felt layers of dirt and grime peeling from me with every stroke. Almost as if, the paint was removing the darkness of that place. They're maddening."

"Why don't you show me something else, instead? I saw the studies over on your desk, what are they for?" He stroked Broan's back, it was a simple action, but it helped to calm them both.

"Studies for you." Broan smiled sheepishly and pried his way out of the embrace. He moved over to one of the easels, a portrait and not very large, and removed the cover. Rochester felt his heart clench.

"That's... me?"

"It's how I see you. You always tell me you're not beautiful, but you are."

The figure on the canvas was slightly hunched over, with his hands curled around white sheets. His back was to the viewer, showing the cybernetic plating along his spine that reached from his mid back to his coccyx. He was looking over his shoulder, at once enticing and forlorn.

"There was an artist, a few decades ago, who did beautiful studies of figures in white. He inspired me," Broan paused and looked at Rochester, smiling. "And so do you."

"Like music, captured in paint," He stared at the painting of himself, the one he had unwittingly posed for every time they met, every time they were intimate. "That's what I've heard, at least. I've never seen any of his works..."

"Yeah, he called them 'symphonies'." Broan rested a hand on Rochester's arm, trying to gauge the depth and breadth of his reaction.

"Thank you," Rochester gently touched his back, feeling the metal under fabric. "Is this really what it looks like? I've never looked at it... not for long."

"Yes, Rochester, this is you. This is the 'you' that I know and love."

"Show me."

The data slides with all their studies were carelessly flung to the floor. Nude and free, Broan showed his lover the source of his inspiration.

I honestly did not think this would come out, I just haven't had the inspiration this week. I've been watching a BBC documentary called "The History of Art in Three Colours", so there are some influences from that in there; largely Whislter's Symphony in White (no really?) and the general feel of blue during the Romantic era.

My god I'm sounding pretentious.

My that was colorful. Great job!:) I just loved how you got your inspiration from that even though I absoulty hate that picture.:D

Prompt: Guilty Pleasures

Characters: Kirya (smuggler), Akaavi

Title: I Love Your Ring!

No spoilers.

Kirya and Akaavi exited the Fifty Percent. Kirya veered off to find the dockworker assigned to the refueling droids. A little bribe to the poor slob stuck with that job usually netted her a nice ‘discount’ on fuel costs, by way of tweaking the meters. Akaavi trailed behind.

The poor slob in question was lounging near the droids, scanning a portacomp. The young, gangly human looked up as they approached, stringy hair falling away from striking green eyes. “Need something?” he asked.

Kirya hooked a thumb at the Fifty Percent, “You got the refuel order for my ship?”

“Lemme check the list,” he said. He looked over the two women the way adolescent males of most species do. Then his eyes went wide and he gave them a friendly grin, “Hey, awesome ring! Do you play?”

Kirya looked confused, “Play what?” she asked.

Sovereign World,” he said, addressing Akaavi.

“I do not play,” said Akaavi.

“What’s Sovereign World?” Kirya asked.

“It’s awesome!” he explained to Kirya, “It’s a holonet game. You make a character, and all the other characters in the game are real people on the holonet somewhere. You’re living on a primitive world. No starships, no speeders, nothing like that at all! And there’s magic, real magic, not like Jedi or Sith and stuff.”

“Everyone would be farmers,” Kirya said, “why would you waste time farming stuff that isn’t even real?”

“Captain, just arrange the refueling,” Akaavi interrupted.

“Wait a minute, I’m kind of curious about this now,” Kirya said, “You got a name, kid?”

“Daneel,” he said, holding out one grimy hand, “pleased to meetcha.”

“Kirya,” she said, shaking his hand, “And this is Akaavi. So what do you do on this ‘primitive world’?”

“You’re a Kluubai, and you belong to one of the four tribes. There’s the Earthshakers, the Waterskippers, the Windgliders, and then there’s my tribe, the Firewalkers. They’re the best,” he said, pointing to the crest on his shirt, “Firewalkers are the coolest because you control fire. You build up your character by doing things in the game and fighting the other tribes for resources. My character is a Shadow Assassin. He’s totally sneaky, a master of stealth and poisons and stuff. We raided one of the Windglider villages last night—“

Akaavi broke in again, “Captain, really, this is just a childish game. We have other business.”

The young man deflated, “Oh. I saw your ring with the crest of the Firewalkers and I just assumed—“

“I said I do not play,” Akaavi repeated, a note of warning in her voice.

Kirya looked back and forth between Akaavi’s ring and the symbol on the human’s shirt. “That sure looks like the same symbol to me, Akaavi.”

I am a warrior,” Akaavi insisted.

Daneel shrugged, “That’s ok, Warriors are awesome too. Flamewalker Warriors make these cool shields with fire that do damage to the other guys when they get attacked. We had this great Warrior on last night. Man she was cool. Just blasting through the Windgliders, taking on six or seven at once. Wiping the floor with them.”

I wouldn’t have to take on that many if some idiot Shadow Assassin hadn’t set off the trap he was supposed to disarm and sounded the alarm!” Akaavi shouted.

“Oh,” said Daneel quietly. He studied his portacomp for a bit and skuffed his feet on the floor. Kirya stifled a laugh. Akaavi fumed. “Um, so yeah, anyway, uh, yeah, you’re ship’s on my list.”

Kirya looked between Daneel and Akaavi, “So, if I told you that awesome warrior would be available say, every night for a week, do you think you could give me a break on my fuel?”

“Captain!” yelled Akaavi.

Daneel looked hopeful, “You mean it?”

Kirya nodded, “I think it can be arranged.”

Notes:

And the fourth wall comes crashing down. Crackfic at it’s finest. I blame sleep deprivation.

Prompt: Guilty Pleasures

Characters: Kirya (smuggler), Akaavi

Title: I Love Your Ring!

No spoilers.

Kirya and Akaavi exited the Fifty Percent. Kirya veered off to find the dockworker assigned to the refueling droids. A little bribe to the poor slob stuck with that job usually netted her a nice ‘discount’ on fuel costs, by way of tweaking the meters. Akaavi trailed behind.

The poor slob in question was lounging near the droids, scanning a portacomp. The young, gangly human looked up as they approached, stringy hair falling away from striking green eyes. “Need something?” he asked.

Kirya hooked a thumb at the Fifty Percent, “You got the refuel order for my ship?”

“Lemme check the list,” he said. He looked over the two women the way adolescent males of most species do. Then his eyes went wide and he gave them a friendly grin, “Hey, awesome ring! Do you play?”

Kirya looked confused, “Play what?” she asked.

Sovereign World,” he said, addressing Akaavi.

“I do not play,” said Akaavi.

“What’s Sovereign World?” Kirya asked.

“It’s awesome!” he explained to Kirya, “It’s a holonet game. You make a character, and all the other characters in the game are real people on the holonet somewhere. You’re living on a primitive world. No starships, no speeders, nothing like that at all! And there’s magic, real magic, not like Jedi or Sith and stuff.”

“Everyone would be farmers,” Kirya said, “why would you waste time farming stuff that isn’t even real?”

“Captain, just arrange the refueling,” Akaavi interrupted.

“Wait a minute, I’m kind of curious about this now,” Kirya said, “You got a name, kid?”

“Daneel,” he said, holding out one grimy hand, “pleased to meetcha.”

“Kirya,” she said, shaking his hand, “And this is Akaavi. So what do you do on this ‘primitive world’?”

“You’re a Kluubai, and you belong to one of the four tribes. There’s the Earthshakers, the Waterskippers, the Windgliders, and then there’s my tribe, the Firewalkers. They’re the best,” he said, pointing to the crest on his shirt, “Firewalkers are the coolest because you control fire. You build up your character by doing things in the game and fighting the other tribes for resources. My character is a Shadow Assassin. He’s totally sneaky, a master of stealth and poisons and stuff. We raided one of the Windglider villages last night—“

Akaavi broke in again, “Captain, really, this is just a childish game. We have other business.”

The young man deflated, “Oh. I saw your ring with the crest of the Firewalkers and I just assumed—“

“I said I do not play,” Akaavi repeated, a note of warning in her voice.

Kirya looked back and forth between Akaavi’s ring and the symbol on the human’s shirt. “That sure looks like the same symbol to me, Akaavi.”

I am a warrior,” Akaavi insisted.

Daneel shrugged, “That’s ok, Warriors are awesome too. Flamewalker Warriors make these cool shields with fire that do damage to the other guys when they get attacked. We had this great Warrior on last night. Man she was cool. Just blasting through the Windgliders, taking on six or seven at once. Wiping the floor with them.”

I wouldn’t have to take on that many if some idiot Shadow Assassin hadn’t set off the trap he was supposed to disarm and sounded the alarm!” Akaavi shouted.

“Oh,” said Daneel quietly. He studied his portacomp for a bit and skuffed his feet on the floor. Kirya stifled a laugh. Akaavi fumed. “Um, so yeah, anyway, uh, yeah, you’re ship’s on my list.”

Kirya looked between Daneel and Akaavi, “So, if I told you that awesome warrior would be available say, every night for a week, do you think you could give me a break on my fuel?”

“Captain!” yelled Akaavi.

Daneel looked hopeful, “You mean it?”

Kirya nodded, “I think it can be arranged.”

Notes:

And the fourth wall comes crashing down. Crackfic at it’s finest. I blame sleep deprivation.

*snicker* Sounds very Dark Age of Camelot. I liked it.

Eeeep, it's technically Saturday...so sorry! Dealing with some ~emotions~ tonight, ugh. Anyway, here are the new prompts:

8/10/12

Mission Accomplished - Ever wonder what exactly goes down when you send your companions on those crew skill missions? How does Khem handle diplomacy missions, for example? Write about your character sending one of his or her crew members on an assignment - your character can only appear when giving the mission; focus on a companion. Suggested by Morgani!

What's In A Name? - Names are special, they almost always have some meaning behind them. First names, family names, nicknames - none of them are ever arbitrary. Write a story explaining a name given to your character or a companion, whether it's their personal name, nickname, or alias.

What's in a name? featuring my light side leaning Sith Assassin. Spoilers for the opening cut scene of the Inquisitor story.

It was the first time in her life that she had been transported anywhere and not been in chains.

She still felt their heavy weight about her neck and wrists, though she was free. They jangled in the looks she got from the other Acolytes on board. They tugged in the sideways glances, they hung in the whispers shielded behind hands. The Sith Code was bantha ****. Her chains would never be broken.

She had nothing that belonged to her but her name. The clothes on her back were borrowed. They were too large for her, the pants drooping sadly at the crotch, the sleeves needing to be rolled up so she could access her hands. The training saber on her back? Rummaged out of a defected pile and handed to her without a word. Her boots were worn through on the soles, a product of their previous owner's inability to stay still. Even the jewelry she wore about her horns was not hers. Tarnished, broken and mended in a dozen different places, it served to remind her where she came from. Where she would certainly be thrown back to if she failed her trails and death over looked her. A half dozen tiny chains laced from one horn to the next, confining, drawing attention, reminding.

Her name was Vei. It was all she had. And most of the time, it wasn't allowed to belong to her either. The people that mattered in her life said it as Vay. The Sith and Imperials rarely bothered to stop and ask for any correct pronunciation. She answered to it all, Veye. Vee. Slave.

She used to have a secret. An accompaniment to her name. She'd kept a secret all her young life. But she was an adult now. An adult with an adult's face and adult's body. And other adults, mainly adult men, had begun to take notice. When she had been cornered, when escape was denied her and pain she'd never imagined she'd be capable of feeling was administered with candy sharp breath and hands that seared, she lost her ability to hold on to her secret.

The man that owned her had died, painfully twisted and broken, his weapon as pale and shriveled as his face once she got done with it. But her defense had sent a ripple out. The ripple became two then three and now, she was sitting on board a shuttle surrounded by others just like her, only better.

She was the only alien among them.

The shuttle landed and Vei didn't bother rising to her feet until every one of the other Acolytes had debarked. The sun was already blinding before she stepped onto the landing pad and the air was hot and dry like the back of her throat. The rest of the Acolytes were far ahead of her, gathering themselves around a man she assumed would be her new taskmaster.

She took a step toward the group only to be shoved to the side. Vei hadn't seen the man waiting for her at the bottom of the ramp. She was going to have to be more observant from now on. He could have just as easily shived her as shoved her.

She couldn't see his face. He wore black robes with a hood low over his forehead. But she saw his hands. Pureblood. Even worse than the humans. He was certain to take exception to her. If she died here on this rock, it would be that one who would have killed her.

Anger gripped her throat as he moved away from her. He never once acknowledged her presence. She was that far beneath him. The air about her crackled for a moment. But she was alone on the landing pad and her show of bravado went unnoticed. It was just as well. If she showed her hand too soon, it would be the end of her. Let them underestimate her.

They would learn.

The taskmaster was actually an Overseer and his name was Harkun. Not that he would introduce himself to her. She would hear it later while listening to the other Acolytes complain. The man was shorter than she would have expected. She could nearly look him in the eye. He kept his hair military short and minimal facial hair adorned his face. His expression was dour and he openly appraised her as she approached.

She noted the Pureblood leaving, some sign had passed between him and the Overseer. But Harkun stepped into her line of sight and glowered at her as though she were a mess of bodily fluid someone had left for him to clean up.

He was a Force-user. She knew it immediately, the same way she knew how to breathe. And just as she knew instinctively how to breathe, she knew that he wouldn't hesitate to kill her. Slowly, if he could get away with it. He radiated disgust and disdain. And it was all directed at her.

He looked her up and down, his expression already writing her off even as he made her feel mere centimeters in height. “I hope you don't think you're special,” he sneered. She was shocked that he actually deigned to address her directly. In front of witnesses.

Vei lifted her chin and met him in the eye. She fought to hide her discomfort. She'd never looked anyone but another slave in the eye before in her entire life.

Harkun's eyes lit with anger and his nostrils flared. He stared her down and even though she felt her chest constrict, she didn't pull her gaze away. “I'm to rummage through you refuse to find an Apprentice for Lord Zash. I can already pick out who has snow ball's chance on this planet, and who is going to die in misery.”

Vei cocked her head, her eyes narrowing. The hate that rolled off the Overseer was nearly comical. She'd yet to open her mouth. If she did that she could really give him a reason to hate her. Even though it went against everything she'd ever been taught, everything she knew to stay alive, she fixed him with a haughty sneer. “Who is this Zash?” she asked.

She got the result she expected, or nearly did. Harkun brought his hand up so quickly a couple of the other Acolytes jumped and flinched away. Vei neither moved, nor blinked. She'd been lashed hundreds of times. She had taken canings to the back and to her hands. The knuckles of this short man's hand would barely create a sensation on her cheek. She wasn't afraid of him.

Harkun made a show of stopping himself and lowering his hand. “That's Lord Zash to you, slave.” He eyed her, hiding disappointment. She should have cowered. She may prove tough to break.

Vei filed the knowledge away for later. There was more to learn, but asking too many questions would probably only serve to get her killed. Harkun gestured harshly and the other Acolytes began to file out. He kept his eyes pinned to hers.

“The rest of you know your trial. Get out and try not to die. I'll bring our late comer up to speed.” He said late comer with the same arrogant disdain he'd used to call her slave. Harkun didn't have to be demeaning to be degrading.

Vei was acutely aware she was alone with the Overseer. With no witnesses there was much that could be done to her. It was a struggle to keep from reaching for her training blade, just to have something in her hands. Harkun continued to stare at her then moved toward her.

She tensed but he stopped just out of arms reach. “In the tomb of Ajunta Pall there is a mad hermit by the name of Spindrall. Find him. Listen to him, if you can comprehend. Complete the trial he asks of you. No doubt you'll die in the process, but there it is. This is your trial, slave. Get out of my sight.”

Vei left immediately, working hard to not scurry. She was better than that. She was going to be Sith. If everyone else was going to regard her as more than a slave in Sith's robing, she was going to have to start seeing herself differently as well.

She could feel Harkun's eyes on her back like daggers.

Author's note

This is actually the opening scene of a story I'm working on as I play through the Inquisitor storyline. I was considering making it its own thread, but I don't really have the confidence to interest people with my own stuff. I felt this snippet was rather fitting for the prompt since the Inquisitor is referred to as slave for most of the quest line on Korriban. Slaves pretty much only have their names. I'm still working on fleshing out Vei's personality. She leans light side on game, but she knows sometimes she has to do terrible things to survive. I'm looking forward to getting Revel as a companion, I have a feeling he'll opening up another side of her.