Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

It's sort of darned if you do, and darned if you don't. If they chose to take that into consideration, transfers would then take months to complete as they do a batch, monitor the effects of the transfers in that batch and adjust accordingly. In the meantime, even more people would drop their subs (in theory) thereby keeping the cycle going full circle.

The main problem is that they let the population issues slide for so long without action that mass transfers were necessary, and that the majority of servers no longer have a playable population. Had they taken this seriously a few months ago they could have had much more flexibility in implementation.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I´m sure that even more subs will get dropped THIS weekend because Bioware decides to wait...again.

Of course, they're going to lose them either way. However, in theory, the amount that will possibly be lost this weekend would be far less than those that would be lost if they had done say...20% of the servers each month spread out over five or six months. What's going on right now is what I'd like to call the Spock solution: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

It's not perfect and no system that anyone could devise would ever be perfect. You just have to go with what you think is the best one. Now whether or not we all agree that it is the best solution is what this debate is all about in the first place.

I would be more than happy to reactivate my account if Bioware would give a legitimate reason that two PVP East servers were left out. And no, as I said earlier, gathering data does not count. Something that isn't a pre-made copy/paste response would be appreciated.

They could have made Sith Wyrm the final destination server, and at least gotten the pve east squared away. All 13 remaining pve servers will not fit on just 3 already full servers.

The sith server name must carry on, and Sith Wyrm is the last one available.

Are you going to be spamming this all weekend?

You're leaving out several factors:

1. How many people only play during the weekend and would only be able to initiate the transfer then (possibly not aware since everyone doesn't monitor the forums)
  2. Even though the destination servers have been given the green light, how many of those ACTIVE players have actually accepted the transfer?
  3. Will they accept the transfer at all?
  4. How many people are going to re-subscribe once it gets out that the server populations are MUCH better? What happend with THEIR characters stranded on a dead server if the destination is full and their friends are there?

So with your argument, we should wait a month because 2 dudes are in jail that play this game and we need to make sure when they get released if they are going to transfer before we move anyone else...

There is no logic in leaving the remaining 18% hanging like this. If it really was about analyzing data they wouldn't test with 82% but rather with 50% or lower.

I honestly don't see the reason why the remaining 10 PVE European servers are not merged yet. What exactly are you monitoring? We won't fit on The Eclipse where you merged the other 9 EU PVE servers to, that's obvious so what's holding you up merging us with Bacca's Blade or Dune Bantha?

Also the remaining 2 PVP AU servers do not deserve this treatment, there is absolutely NO reason besides sheer laziness why you haven't merged the remaining 18%. Also if this really was about analysis 1 weekend of data will mean nothing at all.

The only thing you are doing right now, as I tried to explain this week when you decided to ban me for expressing my opinion is drive more players away. I must admit it's great you at least came out saying we don't have to wait this weekend but if you did this on Tuesday you would have saved yourself a lot of subscriptions, honestly.

And please don't come with "aah we didn't want to give wrong information". You just did by telling us you would open up servers today which you didn't.

My guild was having 80 active players on a daily basis, this number has dropped to 20 ish, they had enough with waiting and unsubbed. I tried to keep them around but the pure rage you have invoked with your playerbase is just indescribable. Thanks for destroying my guild and my fun.

Edited by Daesis

Giving someone a gift is a lot different from an actual paid service. How would you like to be waiting in line to return a defective product, while the person in front of you is doing the same. They give him a shiny new replacement and when its your turn in line, they say "sorry we might need to sell the ones we have left over the weekend, come back next week and maybe we can help you". This is extremely unprofessional for a business. Each customer should be taken care of, not thrown out. I shouldn't have to reroll or sit on a empty server with nothing to do while other are happily playing on populated servers.

Problem is, its not your turn yet, you're still in line. And a free transfer is indeed very similar to a gift.

Edited by mjmcooke

There is no logic in leaving the remaining 18% hanging like this. If it really was about analyzing data they wouldn't test with 82% but rather with 50% or lower.

I honestly don't see the reason why the remaining 10 PVE European servers are not merged yet. What exactly are you monitoring? We won't fit on The Eclipse where you merged the other 9 EU PVE servers to, that's obvious so what's holding you up merging us with Bacca's Blade or Dune Bantha?

Also the remaining 2 PVP AU servers do not deserve this treatment, there is absolutely NO reason besides sheer laziness why you haven't merged the remaining 18%. Also if this really was about analysis 1 weekend of data will mean nothing at all.

The only thing you are doing right now, as I tried to explain this week when you decided to ban me for expressing my opinion is drive more players away. I must admit it's great you at least came out saying we don't have to wait this weekend but if you did this on Tuesday you would have saved yourself a lot of subscriptions, honestly.

And please don't come with "aah we didn't want to give wrong information". You just did by telling us you would open up servers today which you didn't.

My guild was having 80 active players on a daily basis, this number has dropped to 20 ish, they had enough with waiting and unsubbed. I tried to keep them around but the pure rage you have invoked with your playerbase is just indescribable. Thanks for destroying my guild and my fun.

woah, I just had deja vu.

Entitlement isn't the issue. It's EULA agreements that always favor the company instead of the customer..

The problem is people are jealous now of other peoples user experiences and if they've paid their monthly dues, that means their experience is lesser than others whom paid the same amount.

I think people get caught up in calling things "entitlement" when in reality they are talking about equity. I certainly think the people who've been able to play on high pop servers for the week have had a better OVERALL user experience. The people that are stuck waiting have paid for the same amount of time but have not been made happy..

In EULA agreements they always use that " Experience may change" crap in order to reduce their liability. In a legal sense, there isn't much any of the unhappy people can do.

The Ethical and moral conversations are different but for now since all we can use is leagalese, the people BW didn't move got bent over financially, even if it's a few dollars. Multiply those few dollars across thousands of people.

It's not right but it's perfectly legal.. Patience is about all you can practice now.. It takes me 2 weeks to win 9 Warzone matches do to our server population. My game experience has sucked since the 1.2 patch people left the game, AGAIN!

And to the Monitoring of populations through the weekend? I am part of a team that manages 16,000 servers nationwide. I could write a script in 10 minutes that would analyze population on my systems, pipe this info out to an Excel file or a SQL DB, and then draw up reports with pretty graphs on this data and have it mailed to all the people who make decisions at 8am on Monday. These guys went home because they had a long week of work.

Problem is, its not your turn yet, you're still in line. And a free transfer is indeed very similar to a gift.

Can you please leave this thread, you already got a transfer

Thank you.

Edited by Jakev-

A weekend can't tell it either, and the statistic sample will be too small compared to the actual population trends for pretty much anything.

What about the people who wait until next week to accept the transfer? Next weekend? Or the people who accepted the transfer but will stop playing next week, next weekend? Or the people who're not logging in this weekend?

One weekend will tell you nothing.

All these points were made by me when you mentioned using the last 6 months as some kind of reference for what they are trying to accomplish now. All of these factors aren't in that data. Waiting the weekend AT LEAST allows the "weekend players" the opportunity to transfer (If it's the only time they play). This consideration was possibly made for ALL the servers. No matter what, it's more useful to them than the last 6 months. The last 6 months has nothing to do with what they are doing right now.

It's got nothing to do with being angry or any such thing you want to try and paint to invalidate the point.

It has to do with the metrics they gather and the trends they show. You can't take a single sample in time and expect that to be meaningful. It does not work that way. Despite you wanting to try and belittle the point.

being angry has NOTHING to do with it? Of course it does. Whether you want to admit it or not, you are angry. You can see it in your posts. I never said that it was unjustified. Hell, I'M angry and admittedly I'm in a better situation than you by pure luck of the draw.

Since you're talking about metrics and samples I have to assume I don't have to explain how analyzing data works. Without actually having some way to factor in the Free Server transfers into the calculations, knowing what the trends of the last six months were is meaningless. Which trends are you referring to? Server population? Subscriptions coming in and going out? Won't those samples be affected by the fact that the server populations were still dead? The fact that they are doing the transfers and are doing them for FREE greatly increases the probability that people WILL transfer and WILL resubscribe but not at what rate.

Once again we are BOTH simply speculating. We don't know what data they are using so we can't possibly say for sure whether or not they are using it correctly. And unless YOU have access to the "trends" you're referring to, then we're at an impasse.

I'm not trying to belittle your point. I'm trying to understand it and I'm trying to give you other things to consider. "Being Angry" doesn't invalidate your point, but it would affect the possibility that you aren't considering alternative explanations. That's all I was saying.

Edited by Jaavik

Wednesday was the last time a West Coast server was opened for transfers and there are only two East Coast PvP servers left. Why is it going to take four days (this is assuming they will start transfers Mon. my guess is it won't start back up till Tues after maintenance) to evaluate data for the West Coast? Why oh why does it take three days to find a home for just TWO PvP servers?

It's not really surprising that things are going the way they are. I'm still waiting for a bug fix for sound problems that were introduced in 1.2.

I have really lost all confidence in BW and their ability to take the pulse of the customer. I was really dumb to pay for six month sub when I could have been one of the lucky million customers that stopped giving them money a long time ago.

Entitlement isn't the issue. It's EULA agreements that always favor the company instead of the customer..

The problem is people are jealous now of other peoples user experiences and if they've paid their monthly dues, that means their experience is lesser than others whom paid the same amount.

I think people get caught up in calling things "entitlement" when in reality they are talking about equity. I certainly think the people who've been able to play on high pop servers for the week have had a better OVERALL user experience. The people that are stuck waiting have paid for the same amount of time but have not been made happy..

In EULA agreements they always use that " Experience may change" crap in order to reduce their liability. In a legal sense, there isn't much any of the unhappy people can do.

The Ethical and moral conversations are different but for now since all we can use is leagalese, the people BW didn't move got bent over financially, even if it's a few dollars. Multiply those few dollars across thousands of people.

It's not right but it's perfectly legal.. Patience is about all you can practice now.. It takes me 2 weeks to win 9 Warzone matches do to our server population. My game experience has sucked since the 1.2 patch people left the game, AGAIN!

Well said. Great post.

So with your argument, we should wait a month because 2 dudes are in jail that play this game and we need to make sure when they get released if they are going to transfer before we move anyone else...

You aren't even TRYING to understand what I'm saying if you're going to jump to such an absurd conclusion.

I have a question that I am sure has been asked, but that I haven't seen answered directly. Canderous Ordo is my primary server, and I have a few characters on other servers. CO is a destination server for some of my characters on certain servers, but not for all of them (I'm specifically thinking of moving my Krayt Dragon characters). Why should it change the population metrics for me to transfer any of my characters to CO since I am already established there?

This seems like a no brainer to me to simply let people transfer character to servers where they have existing characters. They can create new characters on those servers as long as they have the slots any way, so how does allowing this change the population?

This has been asked. Bioware will not consolidate your characters at this time. Maybe some time in the future, and there might be an additional charge to your account. It could be that they're waiting until the micro-transaction store is set up in game, but they haven't said anything specific regarding that.

It is a no-brainer. If Bioware was given a choice between having you cancel your account or making a commitment to help you out with your fractured account some time in the next couple months, they would much rather you cancel.

woah, I just had deja vu.

Wake-up BW... this excuse to monitor at this point is unacceptable. I sometimes wonder about this games management. Lucas retired from making movies because of the fan base, this game may do the exact same thing....

I agree with this post, as it's not about entitlement but equity. What is happening right now is not equity, hense my reasoning of compensation. Are they legally bound to do so? No. Would it be an extension of their thanks, and recognition of that inequity? Yes! It would also help to soothe over a large disgruntled population. Every day this continues and my personal play experience is poor, it only personally furthers my consideration of GW2. I honestly don't think I'm alone in this thinking.

I agree with this post, as it's not about entitlement but equity. What is happening right now is not equity, hense my reasoning of compensation. Are they legally bound to do so? No. Would it be an extension of their thanks, and recognition of that inequity? Yes! It would also help to soothe over a large disgruntled population. Every day this continues and my personal play experience is poor, it only personally furthers my consideration of GW2. I honestly don't think I'm alone in this thinking.

Finally logic wins over emotion.

Hello all,

We've removed some posts for discussion of moderation. Not everyone will agree with a warning, or removed post. There is an escalation procedure we ask you to use when this happens. The procedure is important so we can discuss your concerns in a one-on-one manner and investigate any issues. However, creating posts and threads to discuss moderation is not allowed and will be removed.

Finally logic wins over emotion.

I never mentioned entitlement within my posts. Only that we, (the remaining 20% of the servers), deserve some sort of recognition of the inequality that's occuring. Being deserving of something is different than feeling entitled to it. Similar in some ways, but still different.