Star Wars: The Old Republic – State of the Game #2

EricMusco

"As we have said in the past, allowing same gender romance is something we are very supportive of. "

I'm fine paying a subscription for a game so that it can grow and be improved.

I'm not okay paying a subscription so that messages such as these can be incorporated into a game. I've enjoyed the game, but it would feel wrong for me to support this with my subscription money, so I really have no choice but to let the subscription expire this week.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please update us on if there will be more INDIVIDUAL class story Bioware!

(PS: I am going to keep bumping this thread with this post until I get an answer)

They said there will not be in this expansion. But you can keep bumping all you like. The answer is right in front of you. :)

I sincerely hope Bioware makes SGR an option which must be selected rather than forcing it on all players. Also there are a tremendous number of underage kids that play this game despite the mature rating, yet there are no parental controls. Will the parents of these kids now drop their subs. or maybe even sue Bioware if the SGR content goes too far.

It will be interesting to see how many subs. they loose because of this. They may have just shot themselves in the foot....

Well there goes my subscription. I will no longer be paying for this propaganda being exploited on kids after the fact. I want my money back for this stupid expansion. I dont want to support the homosexual agenda with my money or my play time. This is the stupidest move yet and i want no part of it> i will boyv+cott this game from now on and i want the money i paid up front for this bs returned! You stupid ****s have messed up my game>

@the poster talking about whether or not voice actors would be willing to record SGR dialogue - I know the voice actresses for the female IA and for the female Trooper would be willing. Jo Wyatt did SGR stuff for DA2 (as female Hawke), and Jennifer Hale did SGR stuff for the ME series (as female Commander Shepard). I'm sure if I could be bothered digging further right now, I could find other VAs Bioware has hired for SWTOR who'd be willing to do SGR stuff.

I sincerely hope Bioware makes SGR an option which must be selected rather than forcing it on all players. Also there are a tremendous number of underage kids that play this game despite the mature rating, yet there are no parental controls. Will the parents of these kids now drop their subs. or maybe even sue Bioware if the SGR content goes too far.

It will be interesting to see how many subs. they loose because of this. They may have just shot themselves in the foot....

I hope so too, RalphYauger. I had OGR stuff forced on my IA (whom I consider to be a celibate lesbian at this point) on Voss, and I wasn't happy at all that there wasn't another non-violent way to resolve the issue.

She had to marry a male Voss in order to go some place that was sacred to them as part of the IA storyline. The only alternative was to threaten them with violence, which my LS IA couldn't bring herself to do. Also, there was no clear option to divorce him in the end either. So as far as I know, Jan'neria is still considered married to him.

As a general rule, outside of the example I just gave, OGR stuff isn't forced on you at all. The flirts are there, but no NPC or Companion will come on to you unless you first select the flirt option. So you have nothing to be afraid of with SGR as that will likely follow the same rules, probably extra strictly because of the so-called "controversy".

Also, why is violence, torture, and slavery okay for kids, but not SGR? I have never been able to figure that one out. (Why are kids playing this M rated game, anyway? Why don't parents supervise their children when they're on the computer?)

Edited by Zandilar

Parents don't always check the ratings for games, movies, etc. + kids love Star Wars (especially young kids). I was surprised by the rating and by that fact that Bioware ignored their PRIMARY audience. Maybe Disney will be different.

If I were a parent, I would want parental controls and would not only lock out OGR/SGR and lock the language filter, but I would also completely lock out the IMP side which encouages bad behavior on the part of the player. And guess where you find most of the kids? (and a great deal of immaturity) - Imp. side...

But the point is - Bioware keeps making bad choices. They've lost over half their subscriber base and everytime they get some back they do something to loose it again. Most of the SWTOR discussion on the web is 90% negative with only about 10% positive. Bioware needs to concentrate on two things: Expanding the story line content and fixing the bugs. All the cosmetic changes, the extra post 50 "grind" points will not keep this game alive.

When are we gonna see dual spec, or the ability to save our action bar setups? Its a pain in the *** that we have to "remember" where all the skills we use should be all the time. Me like many other people use more then one build during the day depending on what we are doing, and changing and replacing the skills is a hassle!

Most Europeans are positive or neutral about SGR, I really wonder about all the negative reactions from the US.

The Imperial side is in my opinion absolutely not for Kids, it is asking the player to be brutal, corrupt, violent and it rewards it with dark side points. My Kids are only allowed to play the Republic side and I don't allow them to collect dark side points.

Well there goes my subscription. I will no longer be paying for this propaganda being exploited on kids after the fact. I want my money back for this stupid expansion. I dont want to support the homosexual agenda with my money or my play time. This is the stupidest move yet and i want no part of it> i will boyv+cott this game from now on and i want the money i paid up front for this bs returned! You stupid ****s have messed up my game>

You are absolutely right! I agree one hundred percent. All these heterosexual options are disgusting. How you breeders can shamelessly flirt where any child can see it is revolting and sickening. Keep your man-on-woman love to yourself, please!

Most Europeans are positive or neutral about SGR, I really wonder about all the negative reactions from the US.
Except for the hardcore conservative areas of America I don't think its as negative as you are led to believe. Most people really don't care, but its an easy target for trolling and getting people riled up.

When are we gonna see dual spec, or the ability to save our action bar setups? Its a pain in the *** that we have to "remember" where all the skills we use should be all the time. Me like many other people use more then one build during the day depending on what we are doing, and changing and replacing the skills is a hassle!

I don't dual spec, but I believe there is an option to save your UI setup. On the top left corner of skill bar 1 by your potrait, right click the UI icon and you get a drop down menu which let's you select various saved UI setups. I think there's an option in the UI editor which wil let you save and name your setup. Default save is "character name1", ...2, etc.

I don't dual spec, but I believe there is an option to save your UI setup. On the top left corner of skill bar 1 by your potrait, right click the UI icon and you get a drop down menu which let's you select various saved UI setups. I think there's an option in the UI editor which wil let you save and name your setup. Default save is "character name1", ...2, etc.
I'm not home to test it right now, but I'm pretty sure that only saves the layout of the hotbars, group icons, chat window etc. It doesn't actually apply to skills placed in the hot bars and especially not skills that you lose and gain from the spec tree

Except for the hardcore conservative areas of America I don't think its as negative as you are led to believe. Most people really don't care, but its an easy target for trolling and getting people riled up.

Apparently your not paying attention to the news, 300K+ people protested this issue in Paris the other day and that doesn't include the other protest in Paris and elsewhere in France.

But whether or not you support or oppose this issue and the violence, etc., it does need to be talked about especially when young kids are involved. (15 or younger) and they do play this game. Kids that young are, for the most part, unable to make mature decisions for themselves and need parental guidance (and hopefully Bioware will also take some responsible action). Do you want your kids (I personally know of one 11 year old playing) deciding on whether to sleep with, romance, or marry their companions (I also know at least one player who slept with their companion)? This also includes brutal murder, cutting off heads, enslaving, etc. and getting rewards for it.

Maybe Bioware should consider a kids only game and an adult only game and require proof of age...

And I'm not trolling or trying to "rile up" people - this subject is being discussed here and elsewhere in these forums. If it bothers you or you "don't care" then ignore it.

I am not fussed either way, if they are there i will not pursue them. Not my thing,

But I support them being added since Bioware said they would

Whether i believe SGR is right or wrong has nothing to do with a game, especially when you have the option to do or not to do.

Most Companion romance is so sub par ( when compared to ME series) its not really worth it

Apparently your not paying attention to the news, 300K+ people protested this issue in Paris the other day and that doesn't include the other protest in Paris and elsewhere in France.

But whether or not you support or oppose this issue and the violence, etc., it does need to be talked about especially when young kids are involved. (15 or younger) and they do play this game. Kids that young are, for the most part, unable to make mature decisions for themselves and need parental guidance (and hopefully Bioware will also take some responsible action). Do you want your kids (I personally know of one 11 year old playing) deciding on whether to sleep with, romance, or marry their companions (I also know at least one player who slept with their companion)? This also includes brutal murder, cutting off heads, enslaving, etc. and getting rewards for it.

Maybe Bioware should consider a kids only game and an adult only game and require proof of age...

And I'm not trolling or trying to "rile up" people - this subject is being discussed here and elsewhere in these forums. If it bothers you or you "don't care" then ignore it.

I think you read more into my post than I was intending. I was specifically speaking to the SGR issues and how America often seems 'anti gay'. You're brining ERSB, voilence, and general 'adult decisions' into the mix.

I do find it funny that most cultures think that a child killing someone (something that you'd hope they'd never actually do) in a video game is ok, but sex, flirting, or choosing a mate (something that said child will certainly do) is frowned upon.

:p

I am not fussed either way, if they are there i will not pursue them. Not my thing,

But I support them being added since Bioware said they would

Whether i believe SGR is right or wrong has nothing to do with a game, especially when you have the option to do or not to do.

Most Companion romance is so sub par ( when compared to ME series) its not really worth it

ALL the companion romances are sub par. I never understood why people would QQ over not getting a sub par romance option.

(PS: I am going to keep bumping this thread with this post until I get an answer)

Note: I am not asking about the coming expansion, I'm asking if we will get anymore individual class story at all in the future.

There should be an option in the settings menu where you can turn the SGR dialogue/choice on and off and it should added or removed from the game when activated.

This should make everyone happy, some people want it some people don't, we should respect both sides.

I myself don't want the same sex to proposition any of my chars it just doesn't sit well with my childhood memories of the Star Wars universe. I play a fantasy game for fun and for a bit of escapism and this would ruin the immersion of the universe I've built up in my head.

I see the turn on or off option as the most viable option to give everyone what they want.

BioWare is trying hard to ruin the game it seems. Not only is introducing SGR now stupid, it's lore and immersion breaking. Thanks for ruining the future experience. There are also lots of kids playing this game which are bound to get confused. I will probably end up cancelling my sub and you can keep your planet if this keeps going. Enjoy loosing money. The least you could do is to make it disabled by default and if someone wants to ruin their experience by adding something that doesn't feel canon and in line with Star Wars at all, you could add option tick box. I really wonder if this is what Disney would want in Star Wars MMO.

I don't geht it, how can it be not lore, if Humans are one of the species you can play? Open your eyes, you will find gays and lesbians everywhere, probably some of your working colleagues are gay.

From a business perspective, gays are the best consumers/customers (double income no kids). Considering this, SGR even makes more sense for EA.

BTW, Disney, doesn't Captain Jack Sparrow looks gay to you too?

Edited by DerTaran

The star wars universe is fantasy so its possible gays and lesbians don't exist. Its subject to your own opinion and how you view the universe.

Its why and option to remove or add the dialogue should keep both sides happy (I'd hope)

Im not against it I have gay friends, but it does go against my persective of the universe for my story.

The star wars universe is fantasy so its possible gays and lesbians don't exist. Its subject to your own opinion and how you view the universe.

Its why and option to remove or add the dialogue should keep both sides happy (I'd hope)

Im not against it I have gay friends, but it does go against my persective of the universe for my story.

Note: I am not asking about the coming expansion, I'm asking if we will get anymore individual class story at all in the future.

Dear Jeff

Yesterday we had a nice discussion on Red Eclipse in the Quesh local chat. I feel the topic was important enough to link a screenshot here.

The discussion started as random whine from an f2p player about hardships, he appeared to be a guy of very low income unable to pay for the sub. The discussion following his rantings was positive enough so I compiled it into one image and would kindly ask you to go over it.

Since the guy was nice enough to answer a very personal question i have edited his name out.

BTW, it would be great if we could put images in the forum posts, at least by reference. A good screenshot sometimes does say more than ten paragraphs of text. Thank you

Edited by merera