[Suggestion] Space Battles-Further additions required

I'd like to start off by saying that I absolutely love the space combat. Despite everyone bashing "rail shooters" I loved StarFox (SNES & N64 versions). And the graphics in space are quite astonishing really.

Would it have been nice to have included an "X-Wing" or "Tie-Fighter" style space shooter? Sure it would have been. You do realize, that those are full games in and of themselves right folks? I hope everyone here realizes that a true space combat system is an entirely different game engine, along with vastly different controls. In fact: So much so that anyone playing with a mouse/keyboard would be at a detriment. For true space/flight combat simulators, a USB joystick is required.

With that preface out of the way...

I would like to see some additions added onto space combat.

Higher Difficulty

I'd like to see [Heroic] Space missions added in that truly test your skill with reaction times proper use of shield regeneration/power conversion module. Tactical use of EMP and jammer to survive. I'd like to see unique rewards gotten from space combat too. Possible unique ship upgrades.

Multiplayer

I'd like to see 2-4 man Space Missions. I'm not even sure if this is possible in a rail shooter, but it'd be nice to see if it is.

PvP

I'd also like to see space combat against the other faction. Given the current implementation of space combat, the easiest way to impliment this would be similar to "Long-Range Mode" fights in StarFox.

Overall..is it a side-game? Yes. It's a very fun sidegame though.

Also:

I'd like to see better configuration setup for Proton Torpedoes. Right now there are a plethora of bugs with people trying to use Proton Torps. They just need their own button to fire and everything's fine. Sharing a button with missiles is just silly.

One of the recent patches fixed my issue with Proton Torpedoes. I've discovered that the game only allows you to use them on 3 targets:

1. Destroyer bridge

2. Destroyer shield generators

3. Space station communications relay

They don't work on anything else. With the exception of the smaller capital ships' shield generators, they only work on shielded targets it seems. I suppose that makes sense. Now that I understand how they work, I'm not having any troubles with them.

I would definitely like to see more depth added to the space missions and less repetitive missions. Taking the exact same mission and upping the difficulty is not compelling game design and I know Bioware has the awesome creative team to do better than that!

Here are a few suggestions I have:

Add multiple paths/choices to missions so that we can at least vary it up as we repeat these missions. Let us decide between some different courses of action during the flight so we can mix things up. Choosing could be as simple as a conversation pop up (though that might be awkward since the mouse pointer also controls ship movement). Or if decisions are limited to just two options they could also just make it a simple "steer left" for choice A "steer right' for choice B.

If each mission was made up of 2 - 3 decision points like that I think they would be a lot more fun and interesting especially on multiple play throughs. And if some decisions earned light side and dark side points that would be even better.

Second, throw in some planet-side flying missions. There were some great examples of ground missions in the old Rogue Squadron games. I mean, who doesn't want to swoop through canyons in mid-air dogfights?

Third, incorporate some of the space mission into the planetary, and maybe even flashpoint, story lines. Sure, they can still be optional missions (maybe tacked on as bonus missions) so those who don't care for the gameplay can skip them but they'd add so much more to the story telling.

Lastly, multiplayer space missions are a must. I'm mostly picturing it as the current play style but with each player having a distinct path they take through the level. The paths would occasionally cross, and even line up for short periods (such as a combined run on big capital ship).

While I'd love to see something more in-depth in multiplayer missions (such as actually speccing ships like you do players for defense, healing/repair, or damage and running like an actual group) but the separate but overlapping paths is probably the most feasible.

Id like to see more in space combat. You have companions for using them in space would help as well as on the ground. I would like to see more epic battles in space. i understand guilds might get access to bigger ships but for now ships should have a role besides taking out a few planes and destroying turrets.

I cant wait for the addition of this game. there is so much and all i can say is dont dry up on content in both land and space.

I always thought that in mmo games, guilds should have a role in keeping outer regions in balance and populated with markets and waring in these regions. The game can deal with the inner core and things not changing on that front. but as guilds get bigger and get access to bigger ships they should be able to blockade worlds and even visit new worlds. This is obviously later on in the story.

Edited by magnetus