Maintenance: October 24th, 2017

EricMusco

Who are you going to put on those shiny servers as you say...when a good portion the people left already because of the lack of new content....others left because servers closed in their region....Nothing positive can be dug from server merges, they ever mean only one thing.

Your post makes no sense. All of our toons are being transferred. Whether you want them to or not. My entire guild will be there as will many others. There will also be new players that I look forward to meeting and play with. Players come and go. Some QQ away and never return. I'm not going to leave because someone cries "end of the game". I've been here since second week early access, and have been hearing that since launch. Guess what? It's still here.

Just remember it's the negative attitude that shoos new players away, and keeps old players away. So good job on you for hurting it yourself instead of finding the positives.

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since no one else has an idea what the servers cost, why don't you tell us?

Considering I don't work there, I cannot say the exact amount. But if you use Google, you can find the cost of a server can run, assuming a game like this, anywhere from $5k-100k per rack, assuming a single rack for each server, which is unlikely. Again, I cannot say the exact cost as I know not the exact type used (yes, it does matter). This doesn't account for the cost of running and maintaining it.

Are you further suggesting that this investment in additional servers while producing no content was a good idea. You think they invested lots of money in additional servers but thought the best thing to do along side this was not add any content and just spend time and resources on nerfs and gsf fixes. [/Quote]

Ah, so your definition of "no content" is really "no major expansion". Because there *is* content: new WZ and GSF map, and new FP.

You talk about issues, my ping has gotten slightly worse since the merger and I never had any problems before. I don't even know what this upgrade was or how it is meant to effect my gameplay, despite asking in the forums and being ignored. Do you know what they did or is this you basing everything on what you think happened? You asking me which I'd prefer, well since I have seen no benefit from the server upgrades and have seen very little content, you know what give me the content or show me how this upgrade has improved my experience.

I can tell you what has happened. It is not what you think happened. The server transfer hasn't happened yet. Not even close. We're not in the new servers. I know that because I carefully read the Devtracker. The thing they did recently was consolidated the East and West coast servers. Why, I'm not entirely sure. I have some guesses, but I won't voice them. As for the ping, I was dropped by my ISP (which is illegal for an ISP to do over complaints) and was forced to use Satellite. Believe me, I know that pain. There will be East and West servers again, this current setup is temporary.

As for if they read the forums. Lets see how much of a response this thread gets to judge how much reading and responding they do. Turns out you can write anything on the forums I once found a short cut while I was sailing round the world in a boat made entirely of Osmium. So just because I write something doesn't make it true. Unless you really believe that in which case this must be the most powerful magical forum, if so:

There will be a new expansion launched with down time on the 31/10/2017 which will include new class stories, the return of all missing companions in a full and meaningful way and 3 fully exploitable planets with daily areas and repeatable content.

Here is looking forward to the expansion tomorrow. Though I shall not be surprised when it doesn't.

I don't follow. Your point is what? How do you determine if they do or do not read it. The only legal way for you to see if they do or not is to be there. Otherwise you have to use illegal means. Also understand, they will not always post in the thread. Aside from the fact that they have a life outside their job, they have other things to do in the building, and I'm sure they have learned when to post, and when not to post.

Side note: I could list all of the possible reasons for things that I am not sure of due to not being there, but if I did, this post would be a page long.

Considering I don't work there, I cannot say the exact amount. But if you use Google, you can find the cost of a server can run, assuming a game like this, anywhere from $5k-100k per rack, assuming a single rack for each server, which is unlikely. Again, I cannot say the exact cost as I know not the exact type used (yes, it does matter). This doesn't account for the cost of running and maintaining it.

I would love to believe that the servers have been upgraded by how most people think of that word. To be told upgraded servers have allowed for improved graphics, improved gameplay, more dynamic combat, complete environments with night and day, swimming, wind effects, npcs going about their daily lives. So far however aside from being told the servers are being upgraded I have seen nothing to suggest there is any end game benefit. I'd be all for that, get the foundation secure and then build on content on open world pvp, decent space combat etc etc. But as far as I an see these upgrades are in name only, hope to be proven wrong.

Ah, so your definition of "no content" is really "no major expansion". Because there *is* content: new WZ and GSF map, and new FP.

It is simply to paraphrase so as not to constantly say that I don't think 1 story chapter, 1 flashpoint, 2 strongholds and 2 op bosses in 7 months is lots of content, nor do I think it is sufficient content that anyone should be happy. Once again I am over simplifying, simply for space, this is part of the service industry where you have resources you have shareholders and you have customers in this case both paying, nonpaying and potential. Whoever came up with the idea of producing so little content in a year should not be thinking that was a good tactical move. If its a result of server mergers/upgrades fine, but then explain how the upgrades benefit the user as otherwise the end result is simply not much content.

I can tell you what has happened. It is not what you think happened. The server transfer hasn't happened yet. Not even close. We're not in the new servers. I know that because I carefully read the Devtracker. The thing they did recently was consolidated the East and West coast servers. Why, I'm not entirely sure. I have some guesses, but I won't voice them. As for the ping, I was dropped by my ISP (which is illegal for an ISP to do over complaints) and was forced to use Satellite. Believe me, I know that pain. There will be East and West servers again, this current setup is temporary.

My understanding is the move to the new data centers and upgrades took place last week and that is the upgrade you are experience today. The next stage is to transfer the existing servers to their new server destinations. Things will not improve for Australian or West Coast players, there will not be any West Coast located servers and come the 8th other than losing names and having hopefully 3 times more people to play with there will be no change to the experience from what you have now.

Or I should say no positive change, no improved graphics etc, may be more latency as more people are about, maybe longer queues to kill stuff and short GF queues. But ultiamtely what you have now is what it will be in a weeks time. If this isn't the case best tell all those West Coast players who are saying they have to quit.

I don't follow. Your point is what? How do you determine if they do or do not read it. The only legal way for you to see if they do or not is to be there. Otherwise you have to use illegal means. Also understand, they will not always post in the thread. Aside from the fact that they have a life outside their job, they have other things to do in the building, and I'm sure they have learned when to post, and when not to post.

Side note: I could list all of the possible reasons for things that I am not sure of due to not being there, but if I did, this post would be a page long.

My experience has been that whenever a development team starts losing subscribers they come on the forums to post how they will increase communication. They then cherry pick some stupid questions that are answered elsewhere to respond to and then ignore anything that is difficult. Without checking dev tracker, if any post has been responded to I'd wager it is either asking for something that is found somewhere else on the forum, insipidly fawning or utterly pointless. That or when maintenance is.

While actually questions are ignored, take the changes to utility where Carnage is being told that ferocity will be 2 stacks, but this doesn't effect the target dps cause they should never have got more than 2 hits in the window. Raising the question what about alacrity and berserk where even without clipping 3 hits could be achieved, is this saying that berserk was not used ever in the ferocity window to reach the target dps, that seems crazy but instead of answering that, I'm sure 'so when server mergers happen, what server will I end up on.' would get an answer.

My experience has been more or better communication is a gimmick. I think they would rather tell people after they shut down the west coast server than before because they have no interest in being upfront and honest. And that better communication is the same as thanking people for their patience, its just something you say not something they have any interest to act on.

Edited by Costello

So... we are halfway through the "give us two weeks" to iron out the "kinks" and "performance issues."

Anyone from the West Coast or APAC experiencing better lag times? I've received no responses to any of my lag reports - not even the automated generic "check your settings" drivel that customer service sends out.

I won't know until I log in tonight to see if enough of our raid team is still around to get a raid going. (We've manage 1 raid in the last 2 weeks and a couple HM FPs the night we had 4.)

FWIW, the lag spikes in the FPs were huge. Periodic spikes over 1000, a few over 1200 and at least one over 1600. Oddly enough 4 players from 3 different areas all reporting the same spike at the same time. So it seems to me they have some server issues to iron out.

Yeah. You're right. If you believe the false idea that they don't read the forums despite their direct responses to many of the topics raised in the forums and elsewhere, then you would have such a cynical view of BW.

To everyone complaining about the lack of content: You have no idea what the cost is for the purchase of a single new server, let alone five. No dying game puts forth that kind of money. They very well likely had to choose between getting new and improved servers, and a huge content update. And if anyone says the content is more important, let me ask you this: Are you willing to put up with server queue issues becoming more frequent, among other problems that will soon show up, like missing items or even characters never to be recovered?

The fact that they're putting out what they are at the same time is a good sign, and a good thing. Personally, I'm willing to be mature, accept the situation, and not rage quit over what I *think* is going on, especially since I am not there. Are you?

No company would kill off the reason to play for the west coast and APAC region but BW did so explain that stupid move.

Hi all,

We’ll use the next two weeks to smooth out any kinks and resolve any performance issues encountered.

Cheers!

-Keith--

With the two weeks pretty much being up and no new posts in relation to this to let us know how it has gone, how has smoothing out any kinks and resolving the performance issues gone?

With the two weeks pretty much being up and no new posts in relation to this to let us know how it has gone, how has smoothing out any kinks and resolving the performance issues gone?

Nope, I live in So California and my ping has gone from 32 to now 96/133/150 (it floats around those numbers). I get spikes up to 300 on some of my chars and thus makes pvp a sad joke to play. On some of my other chars, which I don't understand this, they get spikes up to 3000, no bars, sometimes red X and are impossible to play, anything! (I'll be submitting a ticket on that issue).

So no, performance has not gotten better now that they forced us all to be on East Coast servers.

I'm starting to think they did this on purpose to sabotage the game. By making the game unplayable to a large percent of the population, forcing those people leave, thus the numbers drop and at the next big corporate meeting they realize the game is dead and pulls the plug. Why else on earth would someone make such stupid decision to piss off SO MANY of their subscribers other than to make the game unplayable anymore and not profitable?

[Edit] By the way, my internet connection DL speed is 110, UL speed is 10. I have one hell of a good connection and I was playing just fine before the move.

[Edit 2] Ok, it's now all my chars that are getting lag spikes up to 3000 and higher. Full bars, red dot, Full bars, red dot, red X, Full bars, over and over continuously. I can't play this game anymore. The last 3 nights I've tried and is impossible. I click on an action and it may happen or it may take up to 5 secs to happen. It feels like when the game first launched and was unplayable for about 3 months till they dicked around with whatever and got the connections stabilized. I just resubbed for 6 months and I swear, if this ain't fixed I'll demand a full refund and never come back. This is appalling.

Edited by Banthabreeder

• 1 month later...
nope, i live in so california and my ping has gone from 32 to now 96/133/150 (it floats around those numbers). I get spikes up to 300 on some of my chars and thus makes pvp a sad joke to play. On some of my other chars, which i don't understand this, they get spikes up to 3000, no bars, sometimes red x and are impossible to play, anything! (i'll be submitting a ticket on that issue).

So no, performance has not gotten better now that they forced us all to be on east coast servers.

I'm starting to think they did this on purpose to sabotage the game. By making the game unplayable to a large percent of the population, forcing those people leave, thus the numbers drop and at the next big corporate meeting they realize the game is dead and pulls the plug. Why else on earth would someone make such stupid decision to piss off so many of their subscribers other than to make the game unplayable anymore and not profitable?

[edit] by the way, my internet connection dl speed is 110, ul speed is 10. I have one hell of a good connection and i was playing just fine before the move.

[edit 2] ok, it's now all my chars that are getting lag spikes up to 3000 and higher. Full bars, red dot, full bars, red dot, red x, full bars, over and over continuously. I can't play this game anymore. The last 3 nights i've tried and is impossible. I click on an action and it may happen or it may take up to 5 secs to happen. It feels like when the game first launched and was unplayable for about 3 months till they dicked around with whatever and got the connections stabilized. I just resubbed for 6 months and i swear, if this ain't fixed i'll demand a full refund and never come back. This is appalling.

my lag is the same with red x dc / so im subed and cant do team stuff my lag will get others killed / swtor has turned in to the irl verson of sword art online mmo

my lag is the same with red x dc / so im subed and cant do team stuff my lag will get others killed / swtor has turned in to the irl verson of sword art online mmo

Don't bump old threads. Pay attention to the date. People will likely not have the same issue you did since this thread is a month old.

Don't bump old threads. Pay attention to the date. People will likely not have the same issue you did since this thread is a month old.

Seriously? You're necro-thread policing a one month old thread? What do you do when someone necros a 1 year old thread? Or a 3 year old thread? :eek:

Who seriously cares?

• 4 weeks later...
APAC players? Thought Bioware murdered you all?

Some of us hid under a rock as Bioware stomped about decapitating the rest of the APAC community. It’s now safe to come out because they are on holidays ;)

Seriously though, I’ve now got to pay an extra $14 a month on top of my normal sub to play this game because I now have to use WTFast to get lower ping. Without it I get 295ms - 379ms. With it I get 260ms - 290ms (depending on the server)

To hear another person complain about 30ms is just so, so, sad. I can imagine that 30ms must be gut renching for them. How do they play with it? If I was them I would just unistall and leave a nasty msg on the forums about how 30ms ping ruins the game :rolleyes:

Some of us hid under a rock as Bioware stomped about decapitating the rest of the APAC community. It’s now safe to come out because they are on holidays ;)

Seriously though, I’ve now got to pay an extra $14 a month on top of my normal sub to play this game because I now have to use WTFast to get lower ping. Without it I get 295ms - 379ms. With it I get 260ms - 290ms (depending on the server)

To hear another person complain about 30ms is just so, so, sad. I can imagine that 30ms must be gut renching for them. How do they play with it? If I was them I would just unistall and leave a nasty msg on the forums about how 30ms ping ruins the game :rolleyes:

Have you tried EU servers?

• 11 months later...

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?

Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

-eric

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, having two servers has caused queue times and lets not pretend that the 27 people on SS would put any strain on SF. #seflrekt

So this is where the deception began.

Notice how Muscos OP omitted that the backend hardware maintenance also meant they were moving the servers to the east coast.

There is a litany of deception, flipping on decisions and lies?

Just on the first page there are 3-4.

Not once have we had an apology for not telling the APAC players in advance that they were moving the servers to the east coast. That was the biggest deception of all.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• 1 month later...
Hey folks,

As many of you know, on Tuesday Keith explained that in preparation for United Forces we moved all current west coast servers into our Virginia data center. Here’s some of the key questions we have received about the North American datacenter change:

Why not communicate this ahead of time?

We made the decision to not communicate this information ahead of time because we wanted you to have the ability to immediately login and determine the impact to your gameplay experience. This meant we could quickly start gathering feedback on what you were seeing in-game (more on this in the next question). However, we have seen posts from players who made specific decisions based on location (such as character transfers) and we will be in touch with them to discuss. To ensure there is no confusion about this update in-game, we adjusted the server selection screen to reflect that all NA servers are on the east coast.

My ping has gone up since the change and it is affecting my gameplay, what options do I have?

Please continue to report it! As Keith mentioned in his forum post this is something we are actively tracking and working with our network partners to address where possible. We will be working through this especially over the next two weeks as we ramp up to United Forces.

Could there be one data center in the Central US so that pings are more even for each coast?

Creating an entirely new datacenter is a daunting task, even above and beyond the substantial changes we have already made this year. This just isn’t something that was viable in the scope of the changes we made for United Forces.

Since all of NA is in one datacenter, shouldn’t we just have one server?

Moving all of NA together would create a very heavily populated server. This would introduce several challenges: 1) Players would likely experience queues accessing the server and 2) It would increase the chances for server instability and downtime. There are also a variety of other issues, but a key concern was combining all of North America would result in substantially more character name collisions.

We hope this answers some of your questions and lets you know what’s going to happen over the next couple weeks. Please remember, on November 8th we will move all players to their new servers during an extended maintenance (currently looking like 12 hours). We are also discussing starting a few hours earlier than usual (e.g., 2 or 3am CT), but will let you know a few days beforehand.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

For the 467th time can we please have some acknowledgement regarding the foreign players can't play the game because of this.

Edited by Yeldah_

I was taking a break from SWTOR when they did this. I can't believe how dirty they did that, holy crap!

To just casually mention the server relocation, and then to even say they tested it out and only the west coast servers showed a higher ping but nothing that detracted from the game play was coldblooded.

On top of all that, then they said they would "work out the kinks" and for the players to provide feedback to let them know how things were going lol.

Icing on the cake was no mention of the drastic change in gameplay the APAC players and others outside the USA would experience, pretty much as if those players didn't even exist.

I was taking a break from SWTOR when they did this. I can't believe how dirty they did that, holy crap!

To just casually mention the server relocation, and then to even say they tested it out and only the west coast servers showed a higher ping but nothing that detracted from the game play was coldblooded.

On top of all that, then they said they would "work out the kinks" and for the players to provide feedback to let them know how things were going lol.

Icing on the cake was no mention of the drastic change in gameplay the APAC players and others outside the USA would experience, pretty much as if those players didn't even exist.

I was dumb enough back then to think that it meant "if this doesn't work out we will just change it back," apparently not.