what is the advantage of joining a guild

kinGTycoon

I used to say to get a good group going in a wz, ops, or fp. However, this latest batch of recruits we got seem to be people who only want to whine. Try to be helpful, give away an orange lightsaber. 2 people want it, so I have them both do a /roll, then I did a /roll. Winner was closest. The loser whined and said it was no fair! It was a 10 minute whine-fest that he should have received this item. So he got put on the do not group with list.

Another one, in an FP... we had a 50 with us, doing a lvl 30 FP. This guy kept picking fights with the champions and taking the aggro, and almost dying. Every single time. Could not grasp to let the 50 pull, since he is almost completely invincible. We told him 3 times at 3 different fights to stop it. I finally stopped healing him and let him die to get his attention. Added to the do not group list.

Another one.... yes, I could go on all night.... So I help him out a few weeks ago on a class quest. Hey, we have all been there, right? Just that guy who you can't beat, no matter what you are trying... No big deal. He asked, I went. Ever since then, he has been sending me blind group invites. When I ask him what's up, he says he just wants to do regular questing. Dude, I am 15 levels above you. You don't want me to quest with you due to the xp loss, and I certainly have better things to do than to walk you through the entire game. Added to the do not group list.

I have been adding a lot of members lately to my do not group list. It truly does go on and on. I try to teach, try to instruct. If somebody has an issue with a class, or they want to learn, I fully research it if it is one I have not yet done. Or I send them to a "pro" at that class, which is normally what I do. But if they repeatedly show that they are unwilling to learn, then I won't have them on a hm with me, because I do not like wipes that are caused by somebody doing stupid stuff. We all have our oops moments that cause wipes, but, you guys know I am not talking about those....

So far, this knight I am on, I haven't put him in the guild. I have seen no loss at all in getting him to 30 without a guild. I will get him in the guild at some point. That way I have either a DPS or a healer I can bring to the table. He is also a lot more fun for PVP, so he will be doing some pre-mades...

So to answer your question, if you get in a good guild, the knowledge you can receive is very helpful. The help you can receive if there is that guy that you just can't beat. The fact that (unless you prove yourself otherwise) most of them will group with you in a second to do end content.

So to answer your question, if you get in a good guild, the knowledge you can receive is very helpful. The help you can receive if there is that guy that you just can't beat. The fact that (unless you prove yourself otherwise) most of them will group with you in a second to do end content.

I'll add to this. I agree, getting into a good guild is ideal. Just joining any guild that decides to just invite anyone and everyone by spamming general chat on the capitol planet or fleet station will probably leave you with the wrong impression of guilds. Do some research on what guild would be good for you, then make a decision.

The advantages of joining a guild:

You get to see all the people you like be sick and tired of million of bugs and FPS issues and quit, then you recruit some more so you can do Ops properly, and these people leave too, and eventually your guild dies.

So the advantage is being able to see the cycle of life on fast forward.

At least that's my story.

Lot of reasons, first off you make new online friends, you hang with like minded people, sometimes it takes a few guilds before you find a home, also lets you experience more of the content on a regular basis, guild events, trading and crafting amonst guildies, i have have been in a guild that Started with the Beta of EQ, we are still going strong we even have meet ups and camping trips, guild has about 350 active members and about 500+ on the roster.

The advantages of joining a guild:

You get to see all the people you like be sick and tired of million of bugs and FPS issues and quit, then you recruit some more so you can do Ops properly, and these people leave too, and eventually your guild dies.

So the advantage is being able to see the cycle of life on fast forward.

At least that's my story.

Yeah, nothing lasts forever except birth, death and taxes. In the meantime, being in a good guild makes playing an mmorpg a lot more fun.

Advantages to guilds? Hrm. Just as others have said but with the added benefit of drama and potential ulcers.

In other words, there aren't many advantages to being in a guild when compared to the disadvantages.

A good guild would have a zero tolerance rule for drama.

what is the advantage of joining a guild

1... people to chat with while you're mindlessly bashing mobs

2... people to go on flash points with who arn't allowed to swear at you and call you all sorts of nasty names and generally act like a foul mouth ten year old someone let loose on the computer so they wouldn't have to deal with the kid at home.

That would be the big ones.

Yes, guilds are the best place for the best players to be.

Unfortunately, they've become more like Friends Lists for some people - there to be used when needed and ignored when not.

Our guild has a 4-6 week trial period to see if we like the Apprentice and the Apprentice like us. That takes care of most of the negative stuff people have posted about guilds.

As someone mentioned though - retention has become a bit of an issue in SWTOR. Thankfuly, we're a multi-game guild, so players leave to other games our guild is playing rather than leaving the guild. But is can be annoying to help train and gear a guildie for them to just go and leave for another game.

This game needs more 'pottering around'. Devs almost always fail to realise that this keeps people active and interested. Housing, good economy, meaningful crafting (at all levels) etc. Just look at how much interest there was in the Tatooine event - it makes people feel part of the world and not just hamsters fed on gear and XP.

A good guild would have a zero tolerance rule for drama.

In a perfect world maybe, but this isn't a perfect world. Irritating drama is at the very foundation of every guild. It's merely a matter of how long before it seeps in and starts to make the whole thing unravel.

I was in a guld that really didnt do much... Then as I was trying to do the New event dailys I asked a question in general chat. A very nice person whispered to me the answere and even offered to come show me what i was looking for... I was like wow. I asked her about her guild she happened to be an officer. She let me check them out and I was guilded next day.

Ever since i joined a week ago I have done oooodles of flash points and we attemtped the guilds first try at Explosive Conflict. We didnt win but we learned and we will keep trying. (THX BW for dropping the repair costs) I have never been in a guild with such a nice group of people. They are from all over the world too. Germany Finland Great Britain and all over the USA. We have former military and active researves too.

I guess I just got extremely Lucky. The whole guild is in the early 30s and up so no whining little kids to deal with all mature working adults....

I'd add a pool of players that will support one another.

Example: A guildie gave me an augmented double bladed lightsaber. I've been giving guildies DNA samples for their crystals.

Thats what guilds were for in the past, you were like one big family.

Guilds these days tend to be a "use & pay", members only help others if they have advantages themselfs. Guess this is because of LFG and wellfare epics that wow has introduced :(