KOTOR: How good is it?

Sangrar

hello, I am thinking of trying out KOTOR on the side for the story and questing, as well as to see the game that inspired SWTOR. How good was it, how did you like it, and is there anything I need to know about it (before anyone asks, yes I know its about Revan:rolleyes:)

Edit: I know I got to do a procedure for it to work on Windows 7 if anyone has any good guides please link

updated 1/18

Need help, I am having serious problems. First it crashes about 1/4 of the times I try to use it, second, half the time I try to load into one of my saved games, it only loads the bar partially and gets stuck. I need help and a good KOTOR fix guide possibly, the ones I have found either A: contained viruses that my computer luckily blocked or B: were from illegal internet sites shut down by federal courts, or C: had a bunch of reviews of their "fixes" f***ing up their computer. Please I need help

Edited by Sangrar

I hope these help.

"How good was it?"

1. For its time it was one, if not the best, RPG out there, as well as being a great Star Wars game. As of today, it still holds up. It is still a fantastic and immersive Star Wars game, and remains one of the best RPGs out there.

"How did you like it?"

2. I'll give you 2 answers for this question. I'll say how much I liked it when I first played it, and how much I like it now. When I first completed it, I was blown away. It was the most amazing and fun game out at the time which no game seemed to be able to top, at the time. Nowadays It is still fun and amazing but just doesn't have that sense of surprise as it did the first play through. I rate the game overall 9.5/10

"Is there anything I need to know about it?"

3. Not really anything I can think of except maybe 1 or 2 things. First of all, expect to encounter a LOT of problems on Windows 7. A game that old wasn't made for modern machines and operators such as Windows 7. If I recall correctly, I spent at least, if not more, than an hour or so in all looking up fixes for problems I ran into along the way, but it was well worth it.

Second thing is, if you already know what happens in KOTOR and already know what the plot twist is, then the story is not going to be as good for you. I feel really sorry for all those people who can't experience the thrill and rush as many did on their first play-through of the game.

Thats all I really have to say about it. If you're going to go play it, just say if you have any problems, because chances are... I've gone through it and can tell you how to fix it.

Have fun! :D

Just be mindful that a lot of things will be outdated and will feel very old for you if you're used to the newest RPGs like the Dragon Ages, the Mass Effects, the Witchers and Skyrim.

Other than that it's a great game, and it's one of my most played ones - and it was my favorite RPG for a very long time.

With the game being as old as it is, obviously be prepared for some seriously out-dated graphics.

The gameplay itself (combat mechanics, ability progression, etc.) is nothing special, your basic RPG elements without anything that really stands out, definitely nothing innovative or memorable.

What people love, and why KOTOR stands out as a great game (which i think it is) is because of the characters and story. This is the game that paved the way for Mass Effect and Dragon Age: Origins. If your idea of a fun gaming experience is a good interactive narrative, getting to know the game's characters, etc., then this is a game you'll really like.

If you're someone who usually skips cut-scenes and doesn't pay attention to dialogue, this game won't be worth your time.

For me it was one of the best RPG's of all time. And I think even without the experience I had with my friends, it will still be awesome!

Back then, you didn't really choose your story. You never made real decisions that impacted the game going forward. And people really didn't think a SW RPG would be any good. So, think of my surprise back then that we noticed in a cut scene our Dark Jedi with white skin and red eyes. Back then it wasn't standard, and it was amazing!

With that said, I think the story itself would still be awesome.

The story about my experience is pretty simple. I got my Xbox, brought it over to my friends house. There were 4-5 of us total, and we all took turns playing the game. And I mean 24/7. I fell asleep to find we had taken over a planet and blah blah blah (spoilers!). When we saw the twist, it was amazing! We didn't really see it coming! It was the first game that you could bad, and you actually felt terrible doing it!

Anyways, you should check it out. I fully support it, even with the old graphics. Maybe there is a mod that will up the graphics a bit for you.

I own it on Xbox & still play it today. Imo it's one of the greatest MMO' s of all time. And I'll never forget the first time I saw the plot twist. I literally sat with my jaw on the ground for about 10min LMAO. If you've never played it, then I highly recommend it. If nothing else it'll give you an understanding of why so many console gamers like myself play swtor.

I don't know how great the story is or how all around well-made the game was at the time of its release but the moment I saw this video, I knew that I would never even give it a try.

I never cared for turn-based combat (or whatever it's called in RPGs) and, imho, it looks even stupider in a Star Wars game than it did in the Final Fantasy games.

Let the flaming begin :rolleyes:

Edited by TheNahash

I don't know how great the story is or how all around well-made the game was at the time of its release but the moment I saw this video, I knew that I would never even give it a try.

I never cared for turn-based combat (or whatever it's called in RPGs) and, imho, it looks even stupider in a Star Wars game than it did in the Final Fantasy games.

See that's your problem, it's not really turn based. You selected moves, and then it would go through a progression. If anything, it's a hybrid. And you don't normally play RPG's based on the combat. You play because of the story.

See that's your problem, it's not really turn based. You selected moves, and then it would go through a progression. If anything, it's a hybrid. And you don't normally play RPG's based on the combat. You play because of the story.

That's too close to turn-based, I'd say ;)

Hybrid or not, it just seems boring. Of course, again, that's just my opinion and obviously many disagree. I just wanted to point it out in case the OP thought it was anything like the combat system we have in swtor.

As for your last point, why not both? I've played RPGs that had a great story and horrible combat mechanics and I didn't enjoy them nearly as much as I did those that had an OK story but good (or good enough) combat mechanics. If it was just about the story, I could watch the entire thing on youtube.

If you can get past the dated graphics and combat system then you'll have an amazing time with it. And once that's done you can ahead and play Kotor 2 which in my opinion has the better story if you're willing to go through the trouble of downloading some patches and mods to fix the issues it has.

I absolutely HATE the turn-based combat like in final fantasy, so I understand how u feel LOL. If it wasn't a SW game I'd have never given it a chance. But it is a hybrid of the turn based play and it actually feels REALLY smooth and fluid. And KOTOR 2 perfected it. You really should give it a shot.

I remember after beating both KOTOR games, I thought "HEY maybe I should give final fantasy another chance." :rolleyes:

30 min later, I realized I STILL hated it LOL :mad:

anyone know any mods that I can get to fix the Windows 7 conversion issues so I won't have to waste so much time?

As for the combat I looked that up as long as the story is good I will deal with it, and the graphics aren't too bad considering the time they came from.

2003 = dark ages :rak_01:

so yeah if anyone has a good mod to help fix those problems let me know, as well as where I can get patches to fix bugs, so I can be ready to play by the time Amazon delivers

anyone know any mods that I can get to fix the Windows 7 conversion issues so I won't have to waste so much time?

As for the combat I looked that up as long as the story is good I will deal with it, and the graphics aren't too bad considering the time they came from.

2003 = dark ages :rak_01:

so yeah if anyone has a good mod to help fix those problems let me know, as well as where I can get patches to fix bugs, so I can be ready to play by the time Amazon delivers

This is a patch that fixes some of the issues with the game.

Any suggestions about how to make this work well with windows 7 please let me know

Thats the hard part. Since the game is so old, it is really hard to get it to be compatible with Windows 7. Here are a few things off the top of my head that I can think of:

1. Run in Administrator Mode

3. Make sure you have the Lucasarts KOTOR patch

Hope these help! :D

Oh, lol. You kids these days, of course you have to put the disc in while playing. :p

ok how do I fix the text problem.

PS, honestly thought all the info downloaded already in to the computer like it did when I first downloaded swtor from my physical copy 2 years ago

ok how do I fix the text problem.

PS, honestly thought all the info downloaded already in to the computer like it did when I first downloaded swtor from my physical copy 2 years ago

Wait, im sort of confused here (sorry, I may just be dumb :o)

When you load up the game, is there no text at all? Or is there text that keeps popping up with a warning or something?