Let BioWare know you support custom gear

Ruan

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have mixed feelings about this.

First, item modding:

Having been level 50 for a while now, to be perfectly honest I hate SWTOR's item mod system. As you level up and complete quests, it's really dissapointing to receive an item mod of some type, where you would have received a whole item as a reward if we didn't have this mod system. Instead of getting something nice, I get 1/4 of an item.

But what's really frustrating about it; is the awful looking equipment. Especialy if you play a Jedi type, you get a lot of really ugly looking brown robes throughout the game, and thanks to finding item mods all the time, you often end up getting stuck wearing this ugly armor. Because by the time you find a nice looking level 35+ green or blue with a better look, you have already modded up your ugly (originaly level 25) orange item to the point that it's better than the cool new items you are finding.

One of my friends in game has worn the same ugly brown robe he got on Taris all the way up 50, and it's not by choice.

With all of that said, the item mod system just doesn't feel right. If it ONLY applied to lightsabers, I would make more sense to me, because every lightsaber is supposed to be custom built. But having this same mod system apply to armor and guns as well just doesn't seem implemented correctly.

Overall, after a month of playing this game, I really feel like this item mod system is just a tacked on feature (or perhaps forced) onto an otherwise good MMO equipment system.

Concerning appearances:

It's already been requested many times to have an 'appearnce tab' type feature. I am here to tell you today that this would be so much preferable to what we have today. Trying to find orange items with matching graphics, with which I can spend a bunch of money (especially if I had to pull mods out) to mod up to a useful level.

More than just that, I have seen so much need for the match to chest option to be put back in the game. I don't even know where to begin. Nice looking blue-ish robe with a brown colored skirt? Rainbow colored troopers? For the love of god devs, put it back, put it back, put it back. We NEED this feature.

Finally, concerning the purple end-game gear:

I frankly disagree with the dev statements above. End game armor shouldn't be salvaged for parts. Especially not the set bonus. It's unique, and distinctive. People should wear this stuff with pride. If the graphics of this armor is a problem for people, then bioware should fix the graphics, not make it more modable. End-game armor is a badge of pride, something you had to earn, and everyone should be able to see that on your character.

You had me until this part.

Please don't add in useless complexity for no justifiable reason. :\

I assume (key word there) that they are referring to raid drops to solve the problem they brought up specifically of having guilds farm the early bosses in an Operation then yank the mods. That should not effect crafted or otherwise obtained mods.

I am real happy about this news though because I thought modding was a great idea and was disappointed by the changes to the system during development. Hopefully this makes it into game fairly quickly.

The reason is very simple.

They don't want people farming the boots of the first raid boss, remove the mods, and construct a FULL set of raiding gear.

They want the "chest" or helmet to be droped by the last bosses, for various reasons.

Hence, the mods in those will only fit chest or helmet peices, but more importantly, the boots mods from the first boss will only fit boots.

This restriction will MOST LIKELY only apply to end game raiding mods, and not to the other mods in game.

OH, and please, to the others asking for an a-tab, please, just stop. This is clearly NOT the direction they want to go, so if you are not satisfied, go play another game.

Edited by JonathanCP

I agree with the whole of the OP, but want to call out the below:

My proposal:

Cybertech: Earpieces, Starship Upgrades, All Modifications, BoP

Speeders, Non-Combat Pets

Synthweaving: Force Armor, Force Armorings

Armormech: Tech Armor, Tech Armorings

Artifice: Colour Crystals, Hilts, Shields/Generators, Enhancements

Armstech: Blasters, Vibroswords, Viborknives/Scatterguns, Barrels

This is critical IMHO. Synthweavers and Armormechs have no market among those who wear customizable gear (which is so important in this game), unless they can make the armorings for their type of crafted armor.

`

I frankly disagree with the dev statements above. End game armor shouldn't be salvaged for parts. Especially not the set bonus. It's unique, and distinctive. People should wear this stuff with pride. If the graphics of this armor is a problem for people, then bioware should fix the graphics, not make it more modable. End-game armor is a badge of pride, something you had to earn, and everyone should be able to see that on your character.

I disagree. I know for some people it's a difficult concept to deal with, that they might not be able to run around screaming about how they have top tier raid gear on. But personally I think it's a great way to not only reduce elitism, but also let people make their avatars look how they want them to look.

Don't worry just yet. My hope is that this will only apply to modifications you rip out of raid/specialty gear. That way, they force you to actually earn the entire set of gear throughout the length of an Operation, rather than letting you do the first boss over and over again just to harvest the mods you want to make ALL your gear "raid quality."

If I had to guess how it would work, then certain mods on raid gear will say something like "Can only be placed into Chest Armor." Odds are, these same mods that have "slot requirements" will also have the set bonus attached to them.

For example, Raid Boots of Awesome's armoring mod will say something like:

Raid Boots of Awesome Armoring

+60 Awesome

+78 Intrinsic Coolness

Grants Set Bonus - Awesomsauce

(This armoring mod can only be slotted into boots.)

So that any pair of boots you toss it into will get those stats, AND now count towards the "awesomesauce" set bonus.

My guess is that regular mods/barrels/hilts/etc. will still have no particular "slot" requirement.

I have mixed feelings about this.

Finally, concerning the purple end-game gear:

The thing becomes, though, how "unique and distinctive" is it when everyone eventually has a full set? In one breath, you're saying how much we need an Appearance Tab, and in another, you're saying everyone should wear this set and look the same if they earn it because it's a status symbol.

At the end of the day, those that want to "show off" will wear the armor and do so. Those that don't care about being idolized by low-level players will create their custom outfits and have fun. All in all, everyone wins, so what's the problem?

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

This is 1.1 right? Because i don't know how much longer I can bear to look at my trooper in this columi/ rakata gear

We definitely need a fix for this. The end game PvP sets are mostly horrible looking. Have you seen the Jedi Knight sight? lol

The post where he talks about trivializing end game gear just makes me angry. Sounds like beta testers talked them out of a good system.

Originally Posted by EmmanuelLusinchi

The current situation with end game gear and item modifications isn’t final and, in fact, many community members like yourself have correctly guessed at what our plans to correct the current design are.

Since this is a fairly important issue to many players, let me disclose more details about what is currently in the work regarding purple items and mods:

- All partially moddable purple items will be made fully moddable again, allowing the removal of the armoring, hilt and barrel.

- The set bonus of end gear purples (PVP and PVE) will be transferable to custom items.

- Some item modifications will be restricted to a certain item type. For example, some item modifications will only fit on helmets, while other will only fit on chests, etc.

As usual, the caveats about unfinished work apply, but this should give you and the community a very good idea of our intentions. We are serious about making custom gear an entirely valid alternative to end game gear and we support the players’ ability to customize their appearance all the way to (and including) end game.

That's good to know. :)

The game is still pretty unpolished and a mountain of things they are kind of half a** saying is going to happen but when. The artist that designed the Sage Tier 3 texture/skin and the person that approved should both be dirty kicked. This may assuage my lack of desire to play my Sage however I don't look for this to be implemented in this quarter, just something else to add the todo white board that'll maybe get fixed before the world ends in 2012

You just saved one subscription. I love this game and would play it until the servers go down, but one of the big issues with me was how we were told that we could use the same gear in the beginning through the end. Well I hit 50 and realized I would start to be a clone of every other player because of raiding.

This single post just removed my last gripe and I greatly appreciate you letting out the info before the systems are final so I know I have something to look forward to.

Rest of my guild makes fun of me because I gripe about this, but now I can go in and say 'HA!'

and saying 'HA!' will fully justify my griping. So thank you.

Excellent stuff. While you're at it, how about putting the faction-specific gear(uniforms, armour, iconic doo-dads)as Oranges on a vendor at each side's fleet? The models for all of it are already ingame, but they're spread variously between the CE vendor, loot and craftable schematics with completely unintuitive names, and not being available at all. Alternatively, give it all to crafters, but with sensible names(no more "TZ-666 Awesomator" nonsense, just stuff like "Imperial Uniform(normal), Imperial Uniform(NCO), Imperial Uniform(Officer), Imperial Uniform(Naval Officer)...well you get the idea).

Great news!

Why did you forget to quote the part where your whole post falls apart?

So, instead of letting that happen, we prevented the Armoring, Hilt and Barrel from being extracted, but we also made sure of dropping purple Armoring mods of equivalent power as Operation loot. This means that players going the mod route can still take their favorite orange armor and make it as good as a operation purple armor (with some temporary caveats).

You may not have found those mods yet.

They might not exist in game YET. But they are coming. Patience.

No one will force you to look bad - in the end - with a little effort.

Edit : not that your ideas are bad. But it seems that Bioware KNOWS we support custom gear, and supports it as well.

Gone through multiple hard mode flash points and standard raids.

not one barrel/hilt or armor item has dropped for modding. Heck not even the normal mods have dropped. The quote might be there but the items aren't. I've ran Eternity vault/false emperror and many other standard flash points on hard mode, and no drops for mods have happened.

Armor/Weapon tokens for trade in drop almost every round, and normal purples drop as well. So do crafting materials. But item mods that are the equivlant to the tier sets? Zero. And I have been raiding for 2 weeks now, running hard modes almost every other day. different flash points, no mods.

That part has to be there. Or else like they said previously you could just farm boots and get all of the mods you need for your entire set.

They will want you to run the entire raid/fp and get the chest piece for the chest piece mods, and if they are only doing the 'armor' mod to be chest/boots/legs specific? i am all for it.