Crafting community..need help (mods)

Omega-one

I have decided to invest some time into crafting. currently I have a 400 sythweaving and 400 biochem. I was thinking of crafting high end armor mods and switching to cybertech to do this. However, reading through all this stuff on the internet has just frustrated me.

The net says there are craftable (example here) might armor 28 or might armoring 26. it also says you can learn these schematics from the trainer. I doubt this. Can you loot something, take it apart, and then learn a schematic for this?

I just do not want to waste time and money. I have tried to find solid answers but have left myself more confused..

can a cybertech or any profession craft any armoring mods over level 49 ( IE. might armoring 22) ? and if so, could you tell me how, where to find them?

(just some background on me, I pvp only - the true game is really lost to me)

I have decided to invest some time into crafting. currently I have a 400 sythweaving and 400 biochem. I was thinking of crafting high end armor mods and switching to cybertech to do this. However, reading through all this stuff on the internet has just frustrated me.

The net says there are craftable (example here) might armor 28 or might armoring 26. it also says you can learn these schematics from the trainer. I doubt this. Can you loot something, take it apart, and then learn a schematic for this?

I just do not want to waste time and money. I have tried to find solid answers but have left myself more confused..

can a cybertech or any profession craft any armoring mods over level 49 ( IE. might armoring 22) ? and if so, could you tell me how, where to find them?

(just some background on me, I pvp only - the true game is really lost to me)

Yes you can. With Cybertech, you can buy (for example) a Black Hole Gear piece, extract the mod and doing RE to that mod to try learn it.

But it veeeery expensive, and probably after that you will can not sell that mod because the material price and your commision will be too much expensive. If you take all the black hole comms in a week you can try to learn a mod 2 times. So it's a very slow process instead. And of course, you have to spend your own black hole comms in gear you don't need to do that.

If you're artifice, you can do the same process but with enhancements.

SWTOR Crafting is totally broken. We need more farm and dedication factor and less "lucky" factor.

Edited by Astoncam

Black hole is one method for the top most mods, I haven't tried myself yet but I understood armouring cannot be REd from Black hole due to it being tied to a slot (and you can only learn generic armouring).

Operations also drop high level schematics, other than Columi ears, I have only dropped an artificer 24 enhancement on HM Ops.

50-60 black hole commendations is way too much for even 100% chance to learn armoring + mod. That's 9-10 weeks doing BH weekly if you can't raid, for 2 items out of 50 or so. I won't farm BH for 10 years just to be the top cybertech, assuming the servers are still alive by then, and not considering any future high-end gear upgrade.

With just 20% chance, it's insulting.

Edited by JMCH

I think you would make more money quicker and easier just churning out a full line of blue mods for leveling alts and purple 22s for the Fresh 50 market. People with alts generally have plenty of credits to blow on anything that makes grinding up new ones quicker and easier. Commendations can be hard to come by, and the daily grind is bad enough the first time around, let alone the second or third or fourth. If it's anything like my server, there is zip available on GTN from 1-21 in all the mod categories. I would buy full sets of stuff every other level for my alts if I could, but nobody is selling. And you would think with people running dailies all the time there might be an excess of the purple mods getting sold off, but I hardly ever see the desirable ones on the market either.

Beyond that, gearing up is so easy to do with HMs and story EV that I don't think anyone would bother grinding credits to pay the prices you would have to charge for anything beyond fresh 50 level gear. Getting into QL22 epics I think people will pay some credits to speed that process up over what it takes from dailies alone, but even that can be skipped if you're just running HMs every day. The leveling market might be a more reliable source of demand.

I think you would make more money quicker and easier just churning out a full line of blue mods for leveling alts and purple 22s for the Fresh 50 market.

I think you simply don't understand many of us, crafters, couldn't care less about making money.

I have 4 active toons and 6 crafters, I almost only craft stuff for myself and some of the surplus goes directly to people I appreciate for free, the remaining goes to the GTN at reasonable prices (even super cheap if we take vendors as a basis... remember they sell greens at a higher price than artefact production cost).

What I want, and many others probably, is being able to help, not to be a money sink with absolutely no use of the cash. What's the point of having 10M credits when it's useless in end game? Reroll 50 more toons?

As far as I'm aware bw Ballzed up once again with crafting and you can not re black hole armouring mods ...

So your left making mediocore 22 mods for the odd fresh 50 that has the money and doesn't want to grind them.

Honestly what ever profession you pick it's all just an after thought, it's not something you can really get into just something you can craft the odd peice for levelling players , there's no proper crafting for dedicated crafters..

Mini game at best ..But that's how they want it.

Honestly what ever profession you pick it's all just an after thought, it's not something you can really get into just something you can craft the odd peice for levelling players , there's no proper crafting for dedicated crafters.

They're not all equally pointless. Artifice and Armsmech won't have anything unique after 1.3, since the only items that only they could craft (orange augmented weapon shells) can now be made from any plain orange shell by anyone with an augment kit and 50K. Synth and armormech still make the BIS augments in the game, but as soon as they put raid drops in that outgun QL22 purples that will go away. Then they'll be left with augment kits, which will still be one thing only a crafter can make, but it's something anyway.

Other than that, yeah your only real market as a crafter is alts and Fresh 50s, because the plan seems to be that the BIS gear will always come from raiding or grinding dailies, and never from player crafters.

The best augments are clearly not in synth nor armortech, they're in armstech.

Power, crit, surge and fortitude (reversed power/end) are way more desirable than absorb/shield/presence and at least equivalent to willpower/strength/aim/cunning, on top of being universal.

Hmmm, I don't think a fresh level 50 market should exist so I wouldn't waste the mando iron. Theres not many people who are too lazy not to do the group dailies to get mods and armourings, they probably need to grind dailies.

Cybering does come into it's own in supplying the alt market though, although I don't sell, I just make stuff for guildees or my alts to keep them in purple stuff as much as possible.

The best augments are clearly not in synth nor armortech, they're in armstech. Power, crit, surge and fortitude (reversed power/end) are way more desirable than absorb/shield/presence and at least equivalent to willpower/strength/aim/cunning, on top of being universal.

You would think this is true, but the problem is that all the stats armstech can buff with augments have DR, except for endurance and power. People seem to want the augments that buff primary stats more because they have no DR, and by the time you get to augmenting endgame gear, you have probably capped out or nearly capped out on all these secondary damage or tanking stats with the mods from the gear alone. So the only two stats you're left with that have any headroom in most builds are the primary stat and power, neither of which have a DR cap. Armstech can produce two power buffing augments, but most people will probably prefer the primary stat since it also boosts crit.

Aside from the Armoring you learn from the vendor and RE into purple don't plan on learning better.

Mods however are a different story. I have learned 3 different Black Hole mods so far and make millions selling them. The mats aren't too terrible, but I do the space missions to get them, takes about 2 days of doing all of the space missions per mod.

The best augments are clearly not in synth nor armortech, they're in armstech.

Power, crit, surge and fortitude (reversed power/end) are way more desirable than absorb/shield/presence and at least equivalent to willpower/strength/aim/cunning, on top of being universal.

Yeah, I agree with this. I sell more easily the power ones than the strength or willpower ones. With end game gear, is a PITA trying to boost your power. You update one piece from Columi to Rakata and bam, you take a hit in power. :rolleyes:

Augments will be awesome for this. I like power :) Though with my Sorcerer, I think I'll keep stacking willpower, so that 6% increase will be really sweet

Edited by wainot-keel