Darth Baras VS Darth Thanaton

Revan-the-knight

(Just for reference, I've played both stories to 50)

It depends on the circumstances.

If it were a 1 on 1 cage match duel, Darth Thanaton would win hands down. Baras just isn't as lethal with his fighting skills or the force as Thanaton. Thanaton would lightning the ***** out of Baras before he could do a thing.

If it were like a war, it would be a much better fight. Baras has a wide network of spies, operatives, lackies, etc. He has the power base and intelligence to lead this power base. Thanaton also has many supporters, but perhaps not the scheming wit of Baras. This could go either way, but in the end I would put my money on Baras.

(Just for reference, I've played both stories to 50)

It depends on the circumstances.

If it were a 1 on 1 cage match duel, Darth Thanaton would win hands down. Baras just isn't as lethal with his fighting skills or the force as Thanaton. Thanaton would lightning the ***** out of Baras before he could do a thing.

If it were like a war, it would be a much better fight. Baras has a wide network of spies, operatives, lackies, etc. He has the power base and intelligence to lead this power base. Thanaton also has many supporters, but perhaps not the scheming wit of Baras. This could go either way, but in the end I would put my money on Baras.

I agree with this post.

Baras ate enough Dark Side cookies to give him the Cookie Protection buff though :D (The Dark Side does have cookies after all :D. Lol just kidding about this.)

Well Baras is no slouch in combat, but yeah, he's likely not up to Thanaton's level. As said, if Thanaton can take Baras off guard he's got this, if Baras has time to make this political... yeah, he can comfortably play Thanaton off the field.

Thanaton, hands down:

1. More HP (40k vs 70k)
  2. He has more AoE abilities (and they hit harder)
  3. He has a phase where he is uninterruptible while dealing massive AoE damage
  4. He supposedly has a deep pool of hidden power (hence why he can resist the ghosts your Inquisitor unleashes on him)
  5. He has more support in the Dark Council
  6. He was a better schemer
  7. He had a stronger power base

These are just a few of the reasons why I think Thanaton > Baras.

Bara's.

Bara's is weaker but not far off the "Emperor's Wrath".

Aka, The Sith Warrior

The Emperor's Wrath is stronger than any one of the Dark Council members, as he has to be able to put any of them down should they cross the Emperor.

Yes that does mean The Sith Warrior is stronger than the Sith Inquisator, RP wise anyways, not gameplay wise - but they are never going to fight in the story, so point is moot.

Thanaton was under the Dark Council completely, he couldn't take any of them on.

Bara's is weaker but not far off the "Emperor's Wrath".

The Emperor's Wrath is stronger than any one of the Dark Council members, as he has to be able to put any of them down should they cross the Emperor.

Thanaton was under the Dark Council completely, he couldn't take any of them on.

Thanaton was on the Dark Council, so if you're going by rank alone he's on par with Baras (below the Wrath).

But really look at the backstory too, Baras was never as active in combat as Thanaton. He's always been a schemer/ambassador. Thanaton was out 'doing stuff' too.

Baras of course, long before Thanaton figures out that Baras is coming for him Baras would have all his pawns in place to orchestrate the guy's downfall.

Just like he did with his master, who was also a dark council member. ;)

I think you're assuming too much.

Baras is a schemer, and Thanaton is a fighter. So if this is only about a straight duel, then Thanaton would definitely win. However, situations are rarely that simple.

not only was Baras on the Council, he was the voice for about 10 minutes. Baras wouldn't let Thanaton do much of what he did in the first place. Baras would destroy Thanatons power base before taking him on. Baras would win

Baras

would use Voice of the Emperor and one shot Thanatos.

Plus let's face it Baras is much more of a Villain than Thanatos, I never really cared about Thanatos on my SI, I hated Baras after the ending events of Chapter 2 and wanted revenge.

Edited by WarSiren

Thanaton, hands down:

1. More HP (40k vs 70k)
  2. He has more AoE abilities (and they hit harder)
  3. He has a phase where he is uninterruptible while dealing massive AoE damage
  4. He supposedly has a deep pool of hidden power (hence why he can resist the ghosts your Inquisitor unleashes on him)
  5. He has more support in the Dark Council
  6. He was a better schemer
  7. He had a stronger power base

These are just a few of the reasons why I think Thanaton > Baras.

Thanaton better schemer than Baras? Unlikely, considering how Baras

devised a plan that would cripple Republic military, get his master's seat on the Dark Council and outsmarted THE EMPEROR all at the same time

Thanaton and more support in the Dark Council? In case you haven't seen

Thanaton was only in Dark Council because he got rid of his superior but every other DC member treated him like a tool. Vowrawn looked down on him, Marr mocked him, Mortis mocked him, Ravage openly said that he either sshuts up or he will shut him up himself

Lore-wise, I'd say Thanaton wouldn't do **** against Baras, neither in terms of scheming and intellect nor in terms of sheer power. There is debattable evidence that Baras

struck a deal with Sel-Makor that gave him a boost + he was strong enough to make a claim as Voice. Not to mention he enslaved the Entity (Kreia)

Game mechanics-wise: Wild Baras appears. Baras used Body Slam. It's super effective.

Edited by gibmachine

Thanaton better schemer than Baras? Unlikely, considering how Baras

devised a plan that would cripple Republic military, get his master's seat on the Dark Council and outsmarted THE EMPEROR all at the same time

Thanaton and more support in the Dark Council? In case you haven't seen

Thanaton was only in Dark Council because he got rid of his superior but every other DC member treated him like a tool. Vowrawn looked down on him, Marr mocked him, Mortis mocked him, Ravage openly said that he either sshuts up or he will shut him up himself

Lore-wise, I'd say Thanaton wouldn't do **** against Baras, neither in terms of scheming and intellect nor in terms of sheer power. There is debattable evidence that Baras

struck a deal with Sel-Makor that gave him a boost + he was strong enough to make a claim as Voice. Not to mention he enslaved the Entity (Kreia)

Game mechanics-wise: Wild Baras appears. Baras used Body Slam. It's super effective.

Yep. Was about to annihilate the Thanaton being better than Baras discussion with what was already said here.

But mostly because of RRRRRAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

Edited by Killian_Jedi

Darth Baras, hands down. Thanaton was an idealist who couldn't accept what the Sith had become and lived in the past achievements of the Empire. Baras was a manipulative genius who helped usher in the new era.

Everything about Baras is a complete work: The mask, his weight, his mannerisms. Everything is designed to make you underestimate him. But once you get past his spies, his army, and his apprentices and have to fight him personally you find an old man who hasn't lost a step at all. Baras is so strong in the force that he fooled the Dark Council into believing that he was housing the spirit of the Emperor. (He killed an officer on Hoth all the way from Dromund Kaas, just by seeing his image.) He's a skilled swordsman and a complete master of the art and philosophy of the Sith. He out-gamed the Emperor himself, re-ignited the war, and looks at the Inquisitor's collection of ghosts, says: "That's cute" and raises you one Entity.

Baras is a thug, plain and simple. He's completely an expy for Marvel comic's Kingpin character. Brute strength and mastery of the force combined with a brilliant intellect. Read the comics he appeared in. Catch up on his background through your questing and realize what a hard charger he was, making his name by breaking Jedi before he got kicked up to Darth-hood. Compare and contrast that with Thanaton, the weepy little contrarian.

1. Baras achieved everything he set out to do and never acted overtly. He played the Sith game perfectly. His fall at the end of the Warrior storyline occurs just when he's about to take over the entire Empire.

2. Baras actually succeeded in taking out the Sith Warrior. The warrior is deus exed out of dying underground by the Emperor's psychic side-kicks. It takes the intervention of an immortal, god-like Sith to undo Darth Baras. Thanaton gets beaten by the equivalent of a Sith pokemon collector.

Edited by sanctified