6 groups in a 16 man operation

trucker

Why do people always seem to have 6 groups in a 16 man operation.

2 in group 1,

4 in group 2,

4 in group 3,

4 in group 4,

1 in group 5,

1 in group 6.

I think there is no need for it. I hate having 6 groups across my UI

Edited by trucker

yeah, idk.

As a healer, if someone starts doing crazy stuff with the operations window i just go ahead and drop group.

They either:

A) have a system worked out that im not familiar with and im not intrested in causeing trouble

or

B) some newb operation leader thinks he's cool

For PUGS and people who are not used to it, I admit it may be confusing. For people who are already used to it, not really.

My old GM - rest his alts since he left the game a while now - went for that approach and I never had an issue with it. Like most things in life, it's a matter of habit, not objective and / or concrete evidence that one is actually better than the other.

You must be in a strange server, on PoT5, at least on the Imperial side where I primarily play, the group arrangement is generally 4 groups of 4, and in groups I or my guild have at least LT in the organization tends to be patterned in those groups:

Group 1 -- 2 Tanks +2 people without cleanse (if those are in the group)

group 2 -- tends to be whatever remaining cleans-less players followed by other melee dps and working into snipers

group 3 --remaining snipers, mercs and sorc dps

group 4 -- 4 healers, or if 3 healers those then the lowest hp dps in the group'

DPS preferred sequencing: Marauders ->Juggernaut DPS/Powertech DPS->Assassin DPS->(rare)Operative DPS->Snipers->Merc DPS->Sorc DPS

Where I've discovered Odd group arrangements primarily is one other Republic guild's healer's preference Which tends to be on the 6 team frame Group1: 2 tanks 2 heals, Group 3 4DPS, Group 4: 2heals 2dps, Group 6 4 DPS. Don't care when I'm tanking or DPS, but when I'm on a healer and end up in a group with them, back out to find something else to do I go.

I don't see it very often but the logic is simple I guess.

In a 16 man group you have 2 tanks, 10 dps and 4 healers.

So group 1 is the 2 tanks and another group is the group of 4 healers. Then you will have the 2 groups of 5 DPS (4+1 for each group).

Problem is that not everybody has their ops screen set the same way so this can lead to confusion in PUGs.

Group 1 -- 2 Tanks +2 people without cleanse (if those are in the group)

group 2 -- tends to be whatever remaining cleans-less players followed by other melee dps and working into snipers

group 3 --remaining snipers, mercs and sorc dps

group 4 -- 4 healers, or if 3 healers those then the lowest hp dps in the group'

I've never seen someone spread them out like that...above is pretty typical from what I've seen, with a few exceptions/changes:

1) I often, but habit, but the lower output DPS with the tanks (left over habit from when inspiration just hit that group, not the whole op). This also kinda points out the first people to sacrifice if needed.

2) For the Infernal Council (EV), if you have a Sentinel in the Watchman spec, they should be in their own group to avoid getting the heals on everyone and bugging the group.

3) Rarely I've run into groups that put a healer in each stack, and that stack is that healer's responsibility.

i also see 5 groups with no one in group 3

I often see this in PUGs when the boss fight needs to separate the raid into left and right. If you set the ops frame in 3 rows max you will see that it's actually 2 long groups with 8 people each(1,4left,2,5right). But as a healer I hate that because it's hard to notice those in the bottom. So in this situation 5 groups for me even though the ops frame take up almost half my screen.

Why many raids don't just use 4*4 is beyond me.

Of all the things to be complaining about... its the way an Ops leader sets his own raid frame up? You'd think the random sod who got invited would be a little more.. idk, grateful to run through a 16m Operation and a little less interested in the way the leader set up the frames.

Way I've already seen it done is:

TANK DPS DPS

TANK DPS DPS

DPS DPS DPS

DPS DPS DPS

HEAL

HEAL

HEAL

HEAL

Never had any issue with it but I DO like the idea of having self-cleansers grouped so the healers don't waste them... 5s CD can be a lifetime.

Exactly, Ive been in many guilds, and all use 3x2 for the flexibility that config offers.