Darkness Assassin/Kinetic Combat Shadow Set Bonus Discussion

EricMusco

6p Cascading debris heals for % of hp. Bring the self healz back! lol.

I like that idea. They could have it heal for maybe 12% hp at 3 stacks of harnessed shadows. Either that or have something like the sentinel's watchman update. They could increase the maximum stacks of shadow protection to 8, have them build twice as fast, and increase its duration to 15 seconds.

I like that idea. They could have it heal for maybe 12% hp at 3 stacks of harnessed shadows. Either that or have something like the sentinel's watchman update. They could increase the maximum stacks of shadow protection to 8, have them build twice as fast, and increase its duration to 15 seconds.

Except that bringing that kind of self healing back to Assassins will trivialize content again. If you can only use Depredating Volts every 15 seconds, that would still be over 400 hps. Assassin tanks would go back to being the single best choice for raids, just because they barely need any healing, because they'll also be at 3.0 levels of spikiness, which is to say not bad. You can't just give a tank class something on the order of 550 to 600 (when played well) hps and call it a day.

As for having 8 stacks of Dark Protection? We'd be at ~48% DR, with Juggernauts at ~50%, and PTs at roughly 52.5%. Remind me again why someone would bring anything BUT an Assassin at that point? With higher shield, Defense, and with Absorb as high as a PT's (time averaged), there would be basically no reason to bring the other tanks. You'd have amazing cooldowns, insane passive mitigation, and strong active mitigation, not to mention that if you threw the self heals on top of that, we'd become nigh unkillable in PvE, with no thought yet as to what would happen in PvP.

• 3 weeks later...

So far not a fan of the new set bonus (2). I've read it only works out to about 0.66% DR on average. If you are like me and often sacrificing a 198 vendor armouring for a 192 for the set bonus, you will lose some DR anyway from the armour loss which makes the (2) kind of pointless unless you have access to (4).

As for the (4), its a decent idea but its more of a utility than something thats essential to have. I am yet to try (6) but I would think the extra charges would be useful, especially when combined with the old (2) set bonus (not even sure if this is possible?)

I would love to see more ''quality of life'' set bonus like increase duration on harnessed darkness/shadows, making it last maybe an extra two seconds. Even better, make thet ticks of volts/debris +4stacks instead of +1 so when we lose the stacks, the consequence is not so bad as we can quickly get back our 4 stacks in one debris tick.

So far not a fan of the new set bonus (2). I've read it only works out to about 0.66% DR on average. If you are like me and often sacrificing a 198 vendor armouring for a 192 for the set bonus, you will lose some DR anyway from the armour loss which makes the (2) kind of pointless unless you have access to (4).

As for the (4), its a decent idea but its more of a utility than something thats essential to have. I am yet to try (6) but I would think the extra charges would be useful, especially when combined with the old (2) set bonus (not even sure if this is possible?)

I would love to see more ''quality of life'' set bonus like increase duration on harnessed darkness/shadows, making it last maybe an extra two seconds. Even better, make thet ticks of volts/debris +4stacks instead of +1 so when we lose the stacks, the consequence is not so bad as we can quickly get back our 4 stacks in one debris tick.

The new 2 piece set bonus is definitely more DR, time averaged, than the 198 armorings, especially if you use the belt and bracers for your 2 piece. Even with the much lower uptime that it has, it's better than commendations armorings.

• 2 months later...

So what do you think of the new 216/220/224 6 piece set bonus.

(6) Deflection's duration is increased by 3 seconds and its cooldown is reduced by 10 seconds.

I guess this is a buff in most situations compared to the old 6 piece set bonus.

Vanguards and PTs and Juggs and Guardians though get duration bonus to two abilities. I think it would be even nicer one if they removed that 10 second cd reduction for Deflection and added 3-5 extra seconds to Battle Readiness.

Edited by Teepek

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

GENERAL THOUGHTS; I like keyboardninjas logic. The olders sets were better. I also liked how each tank class had different properties to the set bounus per class. I enjoyed the tank pvp gear had a different set of values and set bounus than the pve gear. My point is as keybord ninja is right, using the same thing for all three tank classes but rewording it different is blah. The three tank classes aren't equal. There are many metric differences per the three, making the gear the same is a frustration. I get it, the devs only tank on jugs and only use sorcs as healers. That generalized statement is kinda true when you read how the patch notes get written when they update class roles. Since launch sin tanks have been doctored the most, I kinda miss our old self healing. Jugg can heal itself, PT can heal itself why cant we? dunno I never thought overcharge was that OP. They must think the aoe taunt heal is amazing....... vs shielding the party or casting reflect on the party.

I digress, do some thinking and re-tailor the set bounuses for the classes. make them unique, but most important make them usefull.

I got to give them some props for starting this thread, cept it should have been done with shadow of revan....

cheers

a old shadowtank

• 2 months later...
Thread is dead as i see but generally best idea IMHO is adding in 5.9, or 6.0 old set bonuses with current stats as very rare cxp crates drop or special vendor that will sell it for 'commendations' earned in Master (NiM) mode operations. Or high price unassembled components whatever. As assassin tank player i can say that current set bonus is mostly useless. The only usable thing here is 4-piece bonus on nim Brontes cause it allows you to take more orbs with less taunt cooldown. Additional 5% shield chance and 2% internal/elemental DR is much more 'tanky' than longer dedlection.

• 1 year later...

New tactical item: Tome of Darth Flatulence

Tome of Darth Flatulence changes the name of Dark Ward to Dark Fart. Instead of giving you 15 stacks you start at 0. Every time you shield an attack you hear a quiet fart sound and you gain one stack of Dark Fart and like Dark Ward you surround yourself with a gas cloud, this cloud will grow larger and more violent with each stack you gain.

When you reach 15 stacks you gain a temporary ability called Wrath of Flatulence where you can unleash your deadly fart cloud on your enemies, suffocating and poisoning them with the smell of 15 farts. This can either be and area attack or a single target attack. The single target attack makes you use the power of the force to compress your gasses into a tiny little but very dense cloud where the area one lets your gasses flow freely and hurt anyone in its path.

I would really like to see an ability that resets our Pull, Stride, AND Shelter in the fashion that Cleanse allows for insta-cast on cast abilities. I think it would off-set the need for "heal me while you damage me" abilities that other classes have. Personally, I think those are OP but I would like something to mirror such an ability without losing threat/taunt. (Minor complaint - you should need skill to regain that much HP, not a button and bad player on your own team that doesn't recognize it. At least put that on light armored classes, not heavy armored classes.)

I don't have much to add for this because my favorite set bonus was the 174 pvp 2-piece because it acted like what you're wanting to put in the new tactical slot. It lowered the cooldown on spike by 2 seconds and that's great crowd control for a pvp tank I even used two of those armorings for a little while after the gear levels increased. 174 is too low now but I still have them in my inventory :rak_03: Just wanted to say I'm really excited for these changes.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...