Consolidated Post: APAC/Oceanic Server Concerns

Cheezfriend

And there it is...

You who have not had the experience are trying to tell us that have lived though it we are wrong.

Oh and BTW I am angry at the decision and lack of consultation, I don't intend to quit as yet, and nor do I encourage others to.

But having actually been there at start your posts rubbed me up the wrong way as I have experienced what you were trying to say doesn't happen.

Naw I'm not trying to say you guys are wrong. I know many of you will be screwed by this decision and I feel for you and think you should get a refund if that is what you want.

I just don't like seeing that reasonable action being hijacked into a message that this screws all of APAC as a whole and that the game will be unplayable if you're from APAC. That may be so, and if so, I am truly sorry and it sucks and feel free to do whatever you feel you need to do (e.g., calling for a merger). But a merger is most likely not going to happen at this point, and I think some people need to start thinking about making arrangements (e.g., whether and when to start leveling, crafting, etc. on US servers, if at all) and testing it out by rerolling now to see how playable the game is before shelling out for the ROTHC.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't understand why they never set up and official forum poll that would show a true outcome.

Because Bioware know it would only make them look like fools.

When 80+ % of APAC players vote to retain a local server and the figures are public to everyone, how would Bioware justify their decision?

I've been checking this thread almost every day since it started. I'm happy to see a decision has been made. I knew that closing down the local servers was an option when I preordered the expansion. I also know that there is no world pvp and we're not gaining anything by moving to a US pvp server. We'll still see the same faces in WZs in our local prime time because it will be after US prime time. The only difference will be higher latency. Anyway to cut to the chase I play this game because of the local servers. If there is no local server then I have no incentive to subscribe.

Prior to playing SWTOR I played Eve and moving to a game with local servers and good latency was a fantastic experience. If I have to play on a server with bad latency then I will probably go back to Eve when the local servers close.

I still don't understand why they never set up and official forum poll that would show a true outcome.

Or even a player email POLL... they know our email addresses and where we reside

PETITION JUST HIT 400

KEEP THE FAITH... AND HOPEFULLY A MERGED APAC SERVER... SIGN THE PETITION AT THE BELOW LINK

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

To all the people who say the harbinger numbers arn't that good during our prime time.

I literally just checked and the pub fleet (the least popular out of the two fleets) has 180

Meanwhile on dalborra it has 80 hahaha and that's our primetime!! :rolleyes:

Stats and Numbers don't lie people :D

R.I.P ghost town APAC Servers...Hello HEALTHY POPULATED SERVERS!

You do realise a lot of us came from these same servers we are being sent back to right? So some of us know how suboptimal the US servers are when connecting to Australia. Red circles, moving of AOE, getting a stun off in time are all just some of the issues that mean the difference between a raid wipe or losing a crucial PvP battle.

You are downplaying the situation to suit your agenda. Free transfers for all APAC to any server would of been the best option and we could have suited those who wanted to go US or elsewhere and those who love localised servers and wanted to stay.

My only agenda is to try to find a solution where APAC players can continue playing the game, and learning to adjust. That is all.

I still don't understand why they never set up an official forum poll that would show a true outcome.

Because they really don't care, how long did it take them to respond to the thread about server concerns, Many months without an answer? What should we do about the APAC server? whatever will make/save us the most money.

To all the people who say the harbinger numbers arn't that good during our prime time.

I literally just checked and the pub fleet (the least popular out of the two fleets) has 180

And prior to yesterdays announcement dal's pub fleet had in excess of 120 (at this time) and imp's fleet had 190, cant compare now people are leaving

My only agenda is to try to find a solution where APAC players can continue playing the game, and learning to adjust. That is all.

Dont worry about it dude these illogical fools just have sand in their vags

You can't reason with people who think ping is more important than actually playing in a healthy populated server.

Can't compare anymore... too many people have left or are leaving... or are so disgusted by the decision they need sometime out of the game to calm down

PETITION JUST HIT 404

KEEP THE FAITH... AND HOPEFULLY A MERGED APAC SERVER... SIGN THE PETITION AT THE BELOW LINK

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/keep-apac-servers-for-swtor-available-and-merge-them-into-1.html

Edited by Icykill_
spelling

You can't reason with people who think ping is more important than actually playing in a healthy populated server.

Really?

Typically one would think that 'ping' which results in lag eventually would actually end up seriously affecting gameplay experience, rendering a 'healthy populated server' useless; we can't 'play' on it with lag from across the world.

Ping, names, guild names, legacy, and foremost community, yeah they are ALL more important than being forced to move.

I still don't understand why they never set up an official forum poll that would show a true outcome.

Because they didn't want to see a true outcome. It would have been much harder to spin this cost cutting measure as a positive one for the players if they had a cut and dry preference from APAC players. The fact that this is the only solution they mentioned specifically shows that it was by far the most popular.

Is it a coincidence that the solution they eventually decided on was the one that saved them the most money NO.

We won't be missing your smugness either Jack. and why bother convincing people to play a game they no longer want to if the server isn't near them, you might as well try recruiting more americans to your servers because then you'll have even more people to play with during your playtimes, you really make no sense at all, but then again EA doesn't either, and I can tell you that the 2 or 3 people who already agree with you in this thread, are the only ones you've convinced because I was on the fence until I was reading your tripe, I can see that I will have zero interest in continuing SWTOR once the servers merge if this is the sort of attitude I'll be coming across. Enjoy SWTOR while it lasts~

What so many of you Bioware Fanboys don't seem to comprehend, is that even for your extra 100ms latency, you're not getting any more people to play with. All 3 of the servers are destined for separate destinations. Almost none of the US players will be online to play with during AUS primetime, so you just end up with the same skeleton crew on a crappier service. This is so freaking woeful Bioware, way to parade the hero while acting the villain.

Really?

Typically one would think that 'ping' which results in lag eventually would actually end up seriously affecting gameplay experience, rendering a 'healthy populated server' useless; we can't 'play' on it with lag from across the world.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. What you should have said is:

"Ping" that can be as low as a mild 0.10 second additional delay, that "may" affect your gameplay experience to a "variable" degree which depends entirely on what part of APAC you live, which "may" render the server useless for "certain" players.

Some will be seriously affected. Others will not be able to tell the difference.

What so many of you Bioware Fanboys don't seem to comprehend, is that even for your extra 100ms latency, you're not getting any more people to play with. All 3 of the servers are destined for separate destinations. Almost none of the US players will be online to play with during AUS primetime, so you just end up with the same skeleton crew on a crappier service. This is so freaking woeful Bioware, way to parade the hero while acting the villain.

This is not correct.

MDN players are going to the Bastion. The Bastion has significantly more people on at any given time that MDN and it has been that way for months. At MDN, if you're on at off-peak, you may see 5 people on fleet. There is no such "off-peak" time for the Bastion. Even at its lowest, you have about 70 on fleet, and that only lasts for about an hour.

Now that's just an apples to apples comparison. If you had a merged APAC server, of course the merged may have offered better population at peak time but we will never know.

That's easy, because they never intended to do anything that was suggested, just throwing the noisy bunch a bone till the bean counters got all the info they needed after F2P to see if the servers were financially successful enough to keep around. Hardly rocket science.

I always maintained they would never merge the severs and have said so a couple of times in this thread months ago, but selfish people shouted down my suggestion of allowing everyone to transfer to where ever they wanted to go, saying people will leave apac servers for the US or EU.

Go back and read the entire thread up to where they announced the closures. Dozens upon dozens of posts saying we shouldn't allow transfers because people will abandon the apac servers. Really flies in the face of the ramblings since the closure announcement don't you think?

Edited by Mowermanx

"Ping" that can be as low as a mild 0.10 second additional delay, that "may" affect your gameplay experience to a "variable" degree which depends entirely on what part of APAC you live, which "may" render the server useless for "certain" players.

Some will be seriously affected. Others will not be able to tell the difference.

Wow EA should hire you. You're the perfect spokesperson to make excuses for the company, I mean well if some people will have problems when they shift over to NA servers thats their problem rite? I mean they only paid for the game and subscribed, what the **** does anyone care what happens to them? CAPITALISM BABY! :rak_03:

these sorts of excuses might be allowed in America where people aren't apparently allowed for class lawsuits or whatever but I'm pretty certain when you pay money for something here you're meant to get a service, and if you don't get that service you have a right to refund or replacement

Edited by Durallan

I think it is more accurate to say that most will be seriously affected and those who don't do flash points, operations or PvP will not be able to tell the difference.

Wow EA should hire you. You're the perfect spokesperson to make excuses for the company, I mean well if some people will have problems when they shift over to NA servers thats their problem rite? I mean they only paid for the game and subscribed, what the **** does anyone care what happens to them? CAPITALISM BABY! :rak_03:

Don't need to get defensive here. I'm just stating the reality, and for some, it sucks and I feel for you. But what are we going to do about it? 400+ pages, 8 months, and here we are. Creating another thread isn't going to change anything. The numbers are smaller on APAC than ever before to begin with.

Listen, if the game is unplayable for you, demand a refund, write a letter, never buy an EA product again and move onto something better for you. If you're on the fence, check out the US server for a few hours doing WZs, see if you can hang, and make the decision. I'm not sure what's so unreasonable about my approach.

Just need to be careful to to inflect and psychological bias about "lag" into this decision making process.

Will do as soon as people stop spreading misinformation about ping in an effort to get others to quit the game. And from the sounds of it, the angry ones already unsubbed.

My message regarding "playability" is directed at those on the fence who are debating whether it's worth a shot. They've stuck it out this long, they at least deserve to have all the facts (and not just angry sentiment) in making a decision that will impact how they might spend another couple hundred hours of their lives. And if you're against that, then how is this "fair" to the community.

And if my posts convince at least 1 person to give US servers a shot, and they end up enjoying the game for many more months after today, then my mission is accomplished.

So far you've been the least wrong of all the responses regarding ping.

It varies from environment to situation. Reacting to other players (which is most of the PvP combat), the issue is more like so:

Assuming a 30 ms ping for the US player and a 200 ms ping for the AU player and one-way trip time of half the ping and negligible processing time:

US player attacks, you receive this info: (0.03/2) + (0.2/2) = 0.115

You respond to attack = 0.1

Thus to interrupt a cast, it takes 0.115 seconds to receive the cast information, then add reaction time, followed by a 0.1 second delay. So for reflex moves, you're actually behind your stated ping time to the tune of half the opponents ping time.

What complicates the situation is the net code, which seems to have some quirks about how GCDs are triggered client side and server side, which may add further delays to the next cast.

Edited by DaftVaduhhh

I think it is more accurate to say that most will be seriously affected and those who don't do flash points, operations or PvP will not be able to tell the difference.

Well that's your opinion and honestly, you have no way of knowing.