Concerned about something in patch 2.0...

Ishagu

I am a Rage Marauder, and I use Force Crush to build up 4 shockwave soon after entering combat for a big smash.

Now, the time duration of Force Crush has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.

Does this mean that it generates shockwave faster? If that was the case then this would be a boost. I fear however, that it will now generate less shockwave. Possibly only 2. This means you will need to supplement it with force crush to be able to pull f a big critical smash - no longer being able to rotate two smashes in 12 seconds.

If this is the case, then rage marauder has been butchered....

I am a Rage Marauder, and I use Force Crush to build up 4 shockwave soon after entering combat for a big smash.

Now, the time duration of Force Crush has been reduced from 5 seconds to 3 seconds.

Does this mean that it generates shockwave faster? If that was the case then this would be a boost. I fear however, that it will now generate less shockwave. Possibly only 2. This means you will need to supplement it with force crush to be able to pull f a big critical smash - no longer being able to rotate two smashes in 12 seconds.

Shockwave now stacks up to 3 times, for a grand total of a 66% damage buff.

Well that is utter crap.

By the look of it the best spec will now be Carnage!

How do you know that btw, have you tested it in pts?

It's not utter crap, it's long overdue balance. Even with a 33% damage reduction on Smash crits it still hits like a truck on up to 5 enemies and there is plenty compensation in the form of snares after charge/leap and buffs to other abilities.

Carnage always was the (much) better single damage spec before stun bubbles destroyed it. With the stun bubble becoming caster only it will rule once again.

I'd wait and see before declaring Carnage the best spec in 2.0.

It's going to have nightmarish resource maintenance problems with the changes to Berserk and the new Slaughter talent.

Rage, inexplicably, got *buffed* (takes only 3 stacks instead of 4 to hit +100% Smash damage, plus other sundry improvements in the tree, such as free Force Screams).

Annihilation will be interesting in PVP with an even shorter CD Annihilate (and thus less reliance on bleeds for DPS).

Carnage... well, you'll get more Gore windows, but the average Rage cost per Gore is going up and burst per Gore is going down. It's going to become an extremely difficult spec to play competently, and you will always be dancing on a knife edge of resource starvation, assuming it's even possible to generate enough Rage to avoid delaying Gore.

Edited by Omophorus

I'd wait and see before declaring Carnage the best spec in 2.0.

It's going to have nightmarish resource maintenance problems with the changes to Berserk and the new Slaughter talent.

Rage, inexplicably, got *buffed* (takes only 3 stacks instead of 4 to hit +100% Smash damage, plus other sundry improvements in the tree, such as free Force Screams).

Annihilation will be interesting in PVP with an even shorter CD Annihilate (and thus less reliance on bleeds for DPS).

Carnage... well, you'll get more Gore windows, but the average Rage cost per Gore is going up and burst per Gore is going down. It's going to become an extremely difficult spec to play competently, and you will always be dancing on a knife edge of resource starvation, assuming it's even possible to generate enough Rage to avoid delaying Gore.

Have you actually tested this? Are you saying that 3 stacks of shockwave in 2.0 have the same effect as 4 stacks in 1.7??

This patch seems to do nothing but reduce smash dmg a bit (15%) but up rest of specs dmg and nerf dmg of carnage... while also making anni even better sustained dps.....

They need to rework carnage rage generation and hopefully they have buffed some of the numbers. We are taking a significant nerf if it stays the way it is on the new skill trees because blood frenzy is being reworked to grant 1 rage only after a force scream.... this means every 9 seconds you get 1 rage instead of every 6 seconds.... that is a big nerf to rage generation.

Also talents that buff ataru form dmg have been weakened(15% dmg reduction) as well as removing executes ability to buff massacre dmg.... It seems that in exchange for a slight increase in gore uptime we are taking a pretty big hit to rage generation and dmg......

Edited by calamatiesend

What's being said about Carnage is true. Resource management is very difficult and you will inevitably proc a Gore reset and realize you don't have the Rage to do anything with it. I've only managed around 2300 dps with it unstimmed.

Annihilation on the other hand I could do 2450 with unstimmed and horribly geared for the spec (96% accuracy).

I cant wait to get on PTS to test once this damn download finishes. One question maybe noobish but does this mean with bezerk giving us alacrity we need to start stacking alacrity as well or just be happy with what we get from bezerk

Shockwave damage IS 100% boost, just as before - and just as was said. It's 11.1% per rank (total of 3) per stack (total of 3) = 100%.

And you are totally ignoring the skill further up in the tree that gives a 9% damage boost for 18 seconds after a Smash. Not only does this give Smashers more damage outside the Smashes, but also boosts the consequtive Smashes if played optimally. Even if the base-Shockwave crit Smash was just 5k, the 9% boost gives it a considerable bonus. :)

the biggest nerf to smash was that choke no longer builds shockwave, so now you can only do 2 quick smashes, berserk>smash, crush>smash w8. I still think they should take the smash off of berserk, but to each their own. I think with enough alacrity rage generation in carnage will hopefully be manageable Edited by Qeuzolt

Because you never have an over abundance of rage anyways right? The Slaughter Talent isn't going to do much because no matter what besides that gore>ravage>scream phase you're going to want to fill your bar full of rage before you use your next gore phase with berserk and vicious throw being free with the proc isn't going to hurt our rage management at all.

I can't wait to Gore>Vicious Throw> Force Scream > Dual Saber Throw someone.

Because you never have an over abundance of rage anyways right? The Slaughter Talent isn't going to do much because no matter what besides that gore>ravage>scream phase you're going to want to fill your bar full of rage before you use your next gore phase with berserk and vicious throw being free with the proc isn't going to hurt our rage management at all.

I can't wait to Gore>Vicious Throw> Force Scream > Dual Saber Throw someone.

This simply isn't true. From a PvP player's perspective sure, but PvE sustained damage is what Omo is talking about. You might want to transfer a character to the PTS and try it. It is certainly clunkier than it was, and Rage management is definitely tighter. Beyond that, you typically do have to "waste" Berserk charges on Rage builders. You also frequently find that Slaughter has procced and your stuck without Rage to use it. This pushes back your next Gore and leaves them out of sync with Ravage and Berserk.

This is a spec that once flowed nicely in PvE, and doesn't anymore. I'll be able to speak to it more when I run the Ops on PTS, and I'll be able to comment on PvP once the stupid bug is gone.

You're concerned about rage marauder being nerfed? LOL! I hate to break it to you, but rage spec is long past its Nerf Hammer time.

We were talking about PVP I thought. I'm trying to figure out the best stat allocation post 2.0 for Carnage I'm thinking mostly to dump crit entirely.

4 Peices Power/Alacrit

2 Peices Power/Surg

2 Peices Power/Accuracy.

Are you hitting surge cap with that? It might be better to go 75% surge > 100% acc > rest in alacrity.

I know there is a crit acc enhancement, Is there crit alacrity?

In carnage 2.0 you'd be entirely foolish to dump crit completely...

Based on my math...power will actually return less value than stacking strength outright would...as it does now...only MORE magnified by the fact that it takes so much of the secondary attributes to hit the target numbers on the relevant stats you're seeking. That means you'll want more strength than ever...otherwise your stat itemization will be sub-optimal.