Free Character Transfers Now Available On Select Servers

CourtneyWoods

After not playing a few weeks I came back to find that my guild was gone, 11 servers all got piled into 1, and no surprise most of my character names were not available on the server I would have to transfer to. Also the destination server was borked with a queue and we're out of coffee! 0.o A cookie if you get the reference :D

I have to say I am greatly disappointed, not only in the way the process was done, but that there was no effort made to head off the anger at the character name issues. For a game that is all about story, story, story, apparently the developers forgot that if story is important to someone they probably would not want to suddenly have to change out their character's name or misspell it.

I hope that at some point they will make changes in the character transfer and perhaps allow you more options on where to transfer to, or allow people to transfer back if they so wish. Until something else happens, Mask of Nihilus was a nice server, and we have a great deal of space at present, come on down and claim your names and space now!

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgive me if this has been answered but this is a lonnnnnng thread... What will happen to these now ghost-town source transfer servers? Will they remain open or will they be shut down? Has anyone from EA/Bio said anything in this regard? I didn't want to move since I like my character names (6 I don't care, but 2 have deeper meaning to me enough to make me consider quitting if I lose them) and Legacy name, and since my multiplayer play is virtually non-existent by choice (got enough of that in 7 years of WoW tyvm). Now that I see that I that my server has virtually no one playing at all, I am worried that it will be shut down and I will have to transfer anyway.

I look at all the angry posts about everything people have to say about the transfers, and I cannot help but think you have it backwards. It seems to me 90% of the people are actually upset,and not happy about it:jawa_smile:

My wife and I are only two players, but overall we are happy with the transfers. We were going to wait until this weekend to make up our minds whether or not to transfer, but ended up doing it Tuesday. In the end the transfers destroyed our old server, so there was no reason to wait.

On balance we are very happy with the transfer. We went from Vornskr (bye old server, we loved you well) to Harbinger. Out of twelve characters on two accounts, we lost three names. Unfortunately they were our favorites and had been nabbed the first day of early access. We are satisfied with our new names and in a few months will be well use to them. On the other hand, my wife had made an error when she entered her legacy name and had been stuck with it. She got to fix it as a result of the transfer and to our surprise the name was open. So she is happy as a clam and on balance the naming and renaming turned out to be a plus.

Since the transfer I had one wait on Harbinger. The server select screen showed < 10 minutes and I was on in three. So no real waits and when experienced short ones.

Yesterday we ran alts on Nar Shaddaa and there were 70+ people there (non prime time). We saw people everywhere we went, but the planet is big enough that there was no fighting for mobs or quest "clicks". We had no problem finding mat nodes all over the place as we moved around, so gathering was not an issue. All in all an excellent and enjoyable experience. There are quests that I can think of on other planets that will be a problem because there are not enough mobs or quest items to pick up and the respawn rate is to low, but they are not many. LOL, we have not tried the Black Hole dailies yet and have read that they are tough when there are 50+ people running around killing everything, but we will see. We tend to play as a couple / team and not group with others and can handle almost all of the Heroic content by ourselves. We did see a lot of grouping happening and that is a good thing.

The GTN is alive and it is good to be able to find what you need and sell what you want.

We are both seeing lag in fleet, but it no different than we experienced at Early Access and launch.

So on the whole, BW gets two thumbs up from us based on our post transfer experience.

Every question asked, no matter where it's asked, gets referred to this post... Where there is NO answers! Well done BW, were in the dark again, the light switch is bugged and someone has stolen the bulb! :mad::o:(

They just moved a RP-PvP server to a regular PvP server, how can they not start fee transfers now? Trying to get my whole legacy and all my characters in one big family. I have 2 seperate families in 2 seperate servers, that kills the game for me.

After not playing a few weeks I came back to find that my guild was gone, 11 servers all got piled into 1, and no surprise most of my character names were not available on the server I would have to transfer to. Also the destination server was borked with a queue and we're out of coffee! 0.o A cookie if you get the reference :D

DONT PANIC!...OKAY, PANIC! :D Love that movie :D

Love the free xfer glad you did this to even out the servers instead of 6 high pop realms and 30 low pop (just a guess btw) but when will there be more avaliable transfers? Such as Swiftsure too Jedi Covenant? :) thanks for your time.

They just moved a RP-PvP server to a regular PvP server, how can they not start fee transfers now? Trying to get my whole legacy and all my characters in one big family. I have 2 seperate families in 2 seperate servers, that kills the game for me.

Haven't touched the abandoned characters. I am waiting to see if this gets fixed. I won't resub my expiring six months until its addressed. I play a lot, unsubbed a while back for a few reasons, but this is one of those issues I listed. I had population issues. I had issues with pvp and queues.

I was essentially forced to re-roll to play the mmo and followed what is pretty clearly the only way Bioware had for you to play on a populated server.

Well this just sucks, I see Zakkeg finally gets to transfer (I've been out of town all week), to Drooga. Bad thing is that I have already transferred 2 servers to Drooga, Zakkeg would be the third. Between the first two I already have 6 character slots filled. I really wanted to keep my Zakkeg toons together since I was playing a Sith Pureblood Legacy on that server. That means I have 8 Sith Pureblood toons. So it comes down to rerolling and abandoning those 8 toons, or just transfer my 50 and forget about the Sith Pureblood Legacy for now.

Edit: Dang, Dang, Dang. To make room for a couple of the 50's I accidentally deleted a 50 already on Drooga.

Edited by APhantasm

Forgive me if this has been answered but this is a lonnnnnng thread...

What will happen to these now ghost-town source transfer servers? Will they remain open or will they be shut down? Has anyone from EA/Bio said anything in this regard?

Same question here. Is the message I get saying I can transfer out of my current server a suggestion, or a thinly veiled ultimatum saying "move for free now or we'll move you later"? In short, I'm thinking these free transfers are for a limited time only, but I'm curious about how much that time is limited.

Every question asked, no matter where it's asked, gets referred to this post... Where there is NO answers! Well done BW, were in the dark again, the light switch is bugged and someone has stolen the bulb! :mad::o:(

Or you could just read the thread since whatever you want to know has likely already been answered here. :rolleyes:

I used to play FF11 Online. When you transfered a server there it was a pain due to having to pack EVERYTHING you wanted to keep on your toon which usually had limited space. How is BW handling this on here :rak_02:

What should have been done is to have an origen server able transfer to at least two differant target servers that way those who love to alt (like myself) aren't left out in the cold when when all your realms are directed to go to the same target realm. As it stands now those for us in this situation are between a rock and a hard place-delete characters or be stuck on a ghost town realm with half or more of our characters. :mad:

Haven't touched the abandoned characters. I am waiting to see if this gets fixed. I won't resub my expiring six months until its addressed. I play a lot, unsubbed a while back for a few reasons, but this is one of those issues I listed. I had population issues. I had issues with pvp and queues.

I was essentially forced to re-roll to play the mmo and followed what is pretty clearly the only way Bioware had for you to play on a populated server.

I'm sorry i wasn't clear. I'm already on a populated server. I am on 2 populated servers. Totally different legacies. I worked on one legacy all the way to around level 32 legacy. I have a level 10 legacy. I want those 2 be merged. I'm on 6month plan, I'm not even touching the game really until this is addressed. They have really 2-3 weeks to deal with this otherwise I've wasted one month of game time, which means I'm pretty much giving up on the game. So population isn't a problem with me.

Seriously, if they are going to do transfers in general, they can't miss stuff like this, kinda pisses me off pretty bad, including the other issues in the game already.

Edited by Jonoku

I'm sorry i wasn't clear. I'm already on a populated server. I am on 2 populated servers. Totally different legacies. I worked on one legacy all the way to around level 32 legacy. I have a level 10 legacy. I want those 2 be merged. I'm on 6month plan, I'm not even touching the game really until this is addressed. They have really 2-3 weeks to deal with this otherwise I've wasted one month of game time, which means I'm pretty much giving up on the game. So population isn't a problem with me.

Seriously, if they are going to do transfers in general, they can't miss stuff like this, kinda pisses me off pretty bad, including the other issues in the game already.

They didn't miss it, it was mentioned beforehand: Legacies will be merged, and the status of your highest level Legacy will be taken over on the new server. They explained that adding the Legacy XP of your lowest level Legacy to your higher level one will not occur.

So really, it wasn't missed.. they just choose the direction you aren't happy with.

The overall gameplay experience after the transfer has been great so far. With the only exception being lag on the fleet. But that is a small price to pay. I give BW two thumbs up for this.

The transfer process was quick and easy. Again two thumbs up for BW.

The naming policy was handled poorly. It should have been based on if the account is still active and who created the toon first. Same for the lagcy.

The transfer staggering was not handled well. Especially since most of what i predicted happened there was no point in letting so many people hang in mid air.

Overall this transfer was a great success for me. I only had one toon and was able to keep his name but lost my legacy. Its not too bad because i found a nice new legacy name.

Edit: To those asking about combining all their toons on one server. This was not intended to accomplish that. This is a server merge disguised as a free transfer programm.

To those that got too many toon. I think BW should allow up to 16 toon per account no matter where they are stored. That way everyone can have each advanced class. That seems to be a good compromise.

Edited by Thyferra

I've been spending some time in the first few days after the transfer just reading the chat on the Fleet - to see how people like the change. Most people are very happy. There are several unhappy minorities: people who lost names, people whose guilds did not survive the move, and people who simply dislike 500 people in the same chat channel at the time. Overall, my estimate is that the percentage of happy people is in the high 90s. I also saw a lot of people return after a hiatus, claiming TOR is fun again.

I've been spending some time in the first few days after the transfer just reading the chat on the Fleet - to see how people like the change. Most people are very happy. There are several unhappy minorities: people who lost names, people whose guilds did not survive the move, and people who simply dislike 500 people in the same chat channel at the time. Overall, my estimate is that the percentage of happy people is in the high 90s. I also saw a lot of people return after a hiatus, claiming TOR is fun again.

Only a certain amount of people actually speak in general chat. If everyone in that channel did, it would be chaos. Some people are quiet in chat, for many different reasons... but their opinions still matter, whether they voice them there or not, and to pull an overall figure from that is pulling figures out of thin air. So to clarify.. 90% of the people who speak up in fleet while you happen to be reading during a certain time frame are happy. Which means nothing, as the silent majority has not been counted.

My 2 cents.

transfer was easy and fast.

I don't like the fact that destination server has priority on names. I think it should be whoever had that name the longest no matter what. I may be wrong in this but from what i gather these moves are mandatory (although advertised as voluntary) since the origin servers are going to be gone shortly.

I don't know about other destination servers but Harbinger is over crowded during what is normal playing times. Any game/server you have to wait to log into because it is completely full is to crowded.

While I like more people on the server than what was on my old server, I dislike the over amount that I am finding on the new one even more. At least on the old one I didn't have problems doing dailies because 20 other people were trying to kill the same 5 mobs.

They didn't miss it, it was mentioned beforehand: Legacies will be merged, and the status of your highest level Legacy will be taken over on the new server. They explained that adding the Legacy XP of your lowest level Legacy to your higher level one will not occur.

So really, it wasn't missed.. they just choose the direction you aren't happy with.

You also didn't understand it clearly, You can't transfer from certain servers like one that is already a destination server for example jung ma. They didn't put in fee transfers just yet, I can't get my legacy off of jung ma to head over to Prophecy of Five. So yes it was missed. Notice I said I'm already on populated servers, it was missed.

This is just getting ridiculous the fact that these aren't in yet and its been 7 months now. I'll even trade my 3 refunds from the 6 months for a transfer right now.

Bioware: We have Free Transfers Underway

Jonoku: Oh cool I get to get all my characters in one big legacy!

Bioware: You can Transfer to chosen destination servers but you don't have to

Jonoku: What but you said transfers?

Bioware: I'm sorry we confused you in any way.

Jonoku: You should've said merges instead, so people wouldnt be disappointed.

Edited by Jonoku

A free transfer will most of the time be used to balance out population. Did you really expect them to let you transfer wherever you want on a free transfer and so creating another population disaster?

What you are looking for are paid transfers. Those will come once they either shut down or merge the origin servers into one.

Btw transfers from Jung Ma to Pot5 might never happen since one is a RP-PVP and the other is a PVP server.

Actually on Jedi Covenant, there is a lot of hating on transferred players going on. Tons of ugly comments and general QQ over how the transfers "ruined the server." Sad but true.