smugglers and agents

Senden

Currently I have a level 13 gunslinger and a level 12 operative and I'm thinking I got it backwards and should delete both and make a scoundrel and a sniper. Anyhoo was hoping for some advice from anyone else who has been in the same position.

Well I guess the thing that is really making me consider is the knife animation noises.. while they don't bother me yet, I can see them annoying me in the future. Also, while the operative itself seems appealing.. come on, kicking sith in the nuts wins every time.

The other thing is the gunslinger play style.. when I think dual pistols I think running in gung ho but instead you're just standing back trying not to stand out while you unleash hell on your enemies.. it just feels so much more like a sniper class.

Personally, I would agree with you. The knives can get irritating, and there is nothing like that BOOM! when you hit one of those Sith in the back of the head with a shotgun. Plus, they get nut kick and sucker punch, which are just so much better that the operative equivalent. I mean, all they get is more knives. Also, sniper rocks. The gunslinger always seemed out of place to me, as the playstyle is methodical, slow casts for huge dmg, at long range. The gunslinger always seemed to be a fast class, shooting fast, moving fast, but that just isn't the way the playstyle works.

One thing I have to stress is that you don't get the feel of a class until around level 25.

While it takes a while, Gunslinger (particularly Sharpshooter) becomes about combos and quick gunslingin'. I've found that at a later level, I switch between targets quickly, keeping 'em either knocked down or ready for the next combo. You'll also find that you're the master of short-term damage avoidance. In PvE, I'm knocking back the weaker targets and putting the hurt on the tougher ones, switching between them to make sure that all the weaklings are either mez'd or dead. In PvP, I'm knocking back Melee enemies, throwing down aoes, putting up defensive buffs and keeping everyone off of me while I tear into them.

Early on, GS seems like a Sniper. But over time, it feels like you're in the thick of it, holding your ground, and beating back waves of enemies.

Since mechanics-wise the mirror classes are virtually the same, I'd say that it basically comes down to the "feel" of the class. Animations and sounds are a big part of that for me, so I understand where you are coming from.

I chose gunslinger and operative (level 50 each) and I was very happy with my choice. I thought the operative fit my view of the agent class well as a stealthy assassin type. For me the gunslinger felt like the ultimate space cowboy (or cowgirl in my case) and I enjoyed the cover mechanic.

It sounds like you are leaning towards switching. As an operative, you will be doing lots of stabbing, so if those sounds bother you, it probably won't get any better. And yes gunslingers can be very turret-like, so you might be happier envisioning yourself as a sniper.

And as for dirty kick....as a gunslinger I still use it frequently. Sometimes I purposely leap out of cover and go running up to the guy, just so I can give him a kick in the nuts as one of my last moves. :D

And as for dirty kick....as a gunslinger I still use it frequently. Sometimes I purposely leap out of cover and go running up to the guy, just so I can give him a kick in the nuts as one of my last moves. :D

Hehe. If there's a particular Hard Mode or Operations boss that nearly defeated my group (but being a dashing Smuggler with access to cover and a scrambling field to save my friends, did NOT defeat us) I try to time it so the last hit is Dirty Kick. Nothing beats killing a superpowered monster on crank, with a good 'ole shot to the nuts.

If you really like the shotgun, you will want the Scoundrel. The kicks and punches are fun, too.

That said, the Sniper I find I far prefer to the Gunslinger. That finishing shot sounds far more convincing on the Sniper than the flimsy-sounding Pop Pop the Gunslinger provides.

Both classes have awesome healer companions: the funniest failed jedi ever, and the most interesting were-rak in the universe.

I would recommend scoundrel/sniper rather than gunslinger/op.

The deciding difference for me was companion progression.

As an agent, you get your healer 3rd, whereas a smuggler you get your healer last.

Being able to cast some heals yourself is a nice thing if you're going to have to wait

until you're almost done with leveling until you get a heal companion.