Can anyone recommend star wars books?

JohnBeelick

This is probably the wrong forum section for this but just do a simple wiki search (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books) for a list of books and timeline.

I've begun reading a few of them and they are enjoyable "airport" style reads e.g. don't expect anything too deep and they are good enough. Some are better than others e.g. Fatal Alliance although I was disappointed with Deceived which is based on the intro sequence to the game.

I always read/prefered the New Jedi Order, Fate of the Jedi books...which are far after TOR :-p But Id imagine getting and reading all the Revan books would be a great start :) I also hear the best way to get background story for TOR would be to play the old "Knights of the old Republic" as TOR is heavily based on that.

Read the old republic series for game reference info.

The Bane series are good books.

Shatterpoint was good .

New Jedi Order books are well written .

these, plus id add I, Jedi plus any book written by Timothy Zahn, Matthew Stover, and James Lucerno. Other than that small list, you can ignore the rest as they are poorly written.

Try

Revan, if you'd like a decent read and a fair few tie-ins to the game itself.

Fatal Alliance for a good standalone read, with little to no story connections with the game (but still the best book of the three, imo).

Deceived if you prefer a little background information about Malgus in an otherwise rather mediocre (all opinions are subjective) presentation of the "Deceived" trailer and related events.

There's not a lot of books from the Old Republic era, apart from tie in nivels mentioned above. However, a lot of lore can be found in many other books as well. My number one reccomendation, however is the Thrawn Trilogy (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command) by Timothy Zahn. This introduces us to the Chiss species though Grand Admiral Thrawn, a brilliant tactician.

Actually, come to think of it, pretty much anything By Timoithy Zahn is good. Also Aaron Allston and Michael A Stackpole, although your millage may vary on that last one.

Just started reading The Thrawn trilogy while I wait for the train to/from work. Nice and easy read that does justice to the original triology. You can easily picture the characters, and understand their motives.

In the middle of the 2nd book at the moment. Not even sure how I got that far that quickly!

For some reason, people on here generally don't seem to be too fond of the book SWTOR: Revan...

However, I personally like that book a lot. I'm just past the middle of it now, and so far it's been great! If you've played the old KotOR games, it's definitely recommendable. Gives some more insight and conclusions to the story there, and also slightly leads up to this era :)

For some reason, people on here generally don't seem to be too fond of the book SWTOR: Revan...

However, I personally like that book a lot. I'm just past the middle of it now, and so far it's been great! If you've played the old KotOR games, it's definitely recommendable. Gives some more insight and conclusions to the story there, and also slightly leads up to this era :)

I didn't like Revan, there were parts that were really good but Revan as a character doesn't translate well into a book. He and the Exile were just too powerful coming out of the games so it just didn't read well. It was cool getting some back story on ther Emperor though.

Does anyone know any decent books that aren't focused around some ridiculously over powered character and his cannon fodder minions? I keep meaning to read the Bane and Thrawn books but my experience with Star Wars novels is they mostly read as if written by a 15yr old.

Star Wars books are really hit or miss with me.

For example I think I'm the only person who despises the Thrawn series. While its general feel is very Star Wars-y there are so many little details that simply irritate me and destroy the essence of Star Wars in my mind. There are so many things that are like "midichlorians" that I just can't get past.

Can't stand anything by Stackpole. Just never been a fan of his world building.